03. Dawn Vibration
04. Gardens Of Coprolite
05. Wicked Fields Of Calm
06. Within Thrall
07. A Veil Is Lifted
08. Scar Sighted
09. All Tongues Toward
10. Aphōnos

Any devout follower of black metal should know the name of Leviathan, a project that has helped to give America a significant presence in the genre's international scene time and time again. After a four year absence, and dealing with a few of life's many curveballs, Jeff Whitehead is back on the music scene, assaulting our eardrums with a new album from his twisted offspring. Beware: things are about to get ominous, and there's no playing it safe here.

In respect to the Leviathan discography, Scar Sighted feels a bit like an anomaly (aside from that one album that sort of was already). The music here is much cleaner than has been usual, losing some of the kvlt grime of before, but meanwhile allowing Wrest's compositional talent to shine perhaps better than ever. The guitar work is crisp and spot on, whether tearing away aggressively or flirting around with the project's signature touch of dark melody. And, although the bass has certainly been given its proper role in Leviathan before, here it's significantly thicker and more audible, particularly on the brilliant "Gardens Of Corprolite."

Scar Sighted is, in essence, very oriented towards the more mysterious side of Leviathan, and isn't too far off base from the legendary Lurker Of Chalice debut in this respect, especially on "All Tongues Toward" and the title track. Elsewhere this technique is much more subtle, perhaps as a clean guitar section woven quietly under the roaring black metal, or some eerie electronic work towards the end of one of the tracks. Whether overtly hypnotizing you, or burying itself within the ferocious black metal that takes dominance, this dark ambient nature helps to serve as a powerful reminder that this project is anything but "just another raw BM band."

There are really two sides to Wrest's musical personality: a ferocious, no-holds-barred approach bent on screaming misanthropic cries to the world, and a more nightmarish cloak that prefers to smother and disturb listeners from a more formless, atmospheric angle. I've always found his songwriting to be at its best when these two approaches are combined, and in this respect Scar Sighted is a major success. You're going to see this album topping a lot of lists this year, and it's deserving of virtually all the hype it's likely to get. This is the work of a guy who's stood at the forefront of U.S. black metal for over a decade, proving to us why he is and remains one of its most important and innovative names.

Begin your torment.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 03.03.2015 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 28   Visited by: 405 users
03.03.2015 - 09:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Dude, you know I'm all fine with fast reviews but you listened to it yesterday! xD

Then again, I listened to the first 2 songs (not counting the intro) and I was hella excited already so I get you. Must listen to the rest of the album today.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.03.2015 - 15:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.03.2015 at 09:01

Dude, you know I'm all fine with fast reviews but you listened to it yesterday! xD

I listened to it completely front to back four times. It's seriously that good and has left a pretty big impression on me. Definitely going to be abusing that play button on Bandcamp this week
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.03.2015 - 16:57
Rating: 9
MetalDoomMaster

Yeah, you're pumping out some quick reviews lately. I agree with much of the things said here. I've only listened to the album once so far, but holy shit it seemed good. I don't really want to use the word "accessible" here, but this album isn't very hard to listen to in that respect.
Edit: Also, why is this review not on the front page?
03.03.2015 - 17:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 03.03.2015 at 16:57

Also, why is this review not on the front page?

There are 7 hour blocks within which our new Staff/Elite/Contributor reviews get a slot on the front page. If anything else is published within that time, it waits until that 7 hours (or more, depending on how many reviews are queued up) is up before it appears on the front page. This one should be up later in the day.

Also, yes, I get what you mean about it being more accessible, not in the sense that it's stripped down, but that it's a little less bleak and murky, more expansive in its sound for sure, but a little less bludgeoning than in the past. Not really something I find fault with though.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.03.2015 - 17:14
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.03.2015 at 17:12

Also, yes, I get what you mean about it being more accessible, not in the sense that it's stripped down, but that it's a little less bleak and murky, more expansive in its sound for sure, but a little less bludgeoning than in the past. Not really something I find fault with though.

Ah, thanks for the info. I definitely don't mind it, since I am absolutely loving this album.
03.03.2015 - 22:28
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I never could into these guys, but I guess I'll try again since Bill Anderson is behind the knobs.
03.03.2015 - 23:21
Rating: 10
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
Very accurate review. Probably best Wrest's release beside LOC self-titled full-length.
03.03.2015 - 23:52
MetalDoomMaster

Ok, this is quickly becoming my favorite album since Abyssal in 2013.
04.03.2015 - 16:46
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
First listen through last night. enjoyed it, but not as much as either Massive Conspiracy or LOC. of course, those are both great albums, tough competition.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.03.2015 - 16:56
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by BitterCOld on 04.03.2015 at 16:46

First listen through last night. enjoyed it, but not as much as either Massive Conspiracy or LOC. of course, those are both great albums, tough competition.

It kind of reminds me of a more refined Tentacles Of Whorror or something. That album also had the really dark and evil atmosphere that this one does especially here, but it was smothered in a much more gritty, hazy approach to its production. Here things are more out in front and there's overall a better sense of transition between the various riffs and melodies. I don't know if it'll top LOC for me, but it could definitely become my favorite Leviathan album.
----

~ II. VII
04.03.2015 - 17:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Listened to it five times now and up to now and it doesn't even get close to Massive Conspiracy and Tentacles Of Whorror or LOC.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2015 - 17:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2015 at 17:01

It doesn't even get close to Massive Conspiracy and Tentacles Of Whorror or LOC.

That of course depends on in what regard you're referring to. Those last three tracks definitely have a lot in common with LOC. Maybe some people don't like me making that comparison because of the legendary, untouchable status of that album, but it's all in the similarity of atmospheres. It's honestly pretty hard not to hear it, unless of course, ya know, you got some waxy eardrums
----

~ II. VII
04.03.2015 - 17:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.03.2015 at 17:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2015 at 17:01

It doesn't even get close to Massive Conspiracy and Tentacles Of Whorror or LOC.

That of course depends on in what regard you're referring to. Those last three tracks definitely have a lot in common with LOC. Maybe some people don't like me making that comparison because of the legendary, untouchable status of that album, but it's all in the similarity of atmospheres. It's honestly pretty hard not to hear it, unless of course, ya know, you got some waxy eardrums

I am referring to the overall quality of this album,not the atmospheres and such.
Quality wise it is nowhere near as good as MC, TOW and LOC
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2015 - 17:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2015 at 17:08

I am referring to the overall quality of this album,not the atmospheres and such.
Quality wise it is nowhere near as good as MC, TOW and LOC

Ah. Well again, I don't really know on what basis you're judging that quality, but to each their own I guess.
----

~ II. VII
06.03.2015 - 18:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Unhealer on 03.03.2015 at 22:28

I never could into these guys, but I guess I'll try again since Bill Anderson is behind the knobs.

Sane here, not my cup of tea
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.03.2015 - 13:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
What I have to say has nothing to do with the review btw...

Some info on the cover art as shown here.

Actually that is not the cover
The cover is white with just the band logo on it.

What is featured here is one of the eleven artcards that come with the album.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2015 - 13:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2015 at 13:30

I was kind of skeptical to begin with considering all the different pics I've seen people alleging are the cover. I've seen pretty much all the artcards you're referring to though, and this one here and this are definitely my favorites.
----

~ II. VII
13.03.2015 - 13:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2015 - 13:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 13.03.2015 at 13:41

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2015 at 13:30

I was kind of skeptical to begin with considering all the different pics I've seen people alleging are the cover. I've seen pretty much all the artcards you're referring to though, and this one here and this are definitely my favorites.

Just posted a picture of the cd I got yesterday
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2015 - 13:48
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2015 at 13:43

Strange.... wonder why everybody (including the label) is putting that four armed eye creature thing up as the cover then. I guess it just looks better
----

~ II. VII
13.03.2015 - 13:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 13.03.2015 at 13:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2015 at 13:43

Strange.... wonder why everybody (including the label) is putting that four armed eye creature thing up as the cover then. I guess it just looks better

I see that MA has the correct cover featured.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2015 - 13:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2015 at 13:49

I see that MA has the correct cover featured.

----

~ II. VII
13.03.2015 - 16:51
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow... Shame on you MS.
At least it's fixed now
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.03.2015 - 11:22
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
MA has always been updated on cover art, logos and complete information of albums and musicians. They suck at lyrics and release dates.

We're definitely better than them.
16.03.2015 - 05:52
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
The album art is like Tort II... the "original" pic linked with the work was far superior.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.11.2016 - 20:36
VIG
Account deleted
Im so happy wrest didnt succeed in killing themselves
10.11.2016 - 20:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 10.11.2016 at 20:36

"Themselves"?
----

~ II. VII
10.11.2016 - 20:44
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.11.2016 at 20:42

Written by Guest on 10.11.2016 at 20:36

"Themselves"?

you know i meant himself.

Hits total: 8967 | This month: 8