Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 5 Issue #1 - Awesome New Demos and EPs

Written by: Nefarious, Ilham, Susan, BloodTears
Published: 03.03.2015

Clandestine Cuts Volume 5, Issue #1
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Brand New Independent Metal Lives Here.
Welcome to the Clandestine Cuts!

Is independent, unsigned, and underground metal what you seek? Weary traveller of the metal world, rest here a while. Clandestine Cuts are the best demos and EPs from these bands, the heart and soul of metal music. These musicians are slaves to their passions, and their blood keeps the metal machine alive and turning. Support them with a simple listen, and discover the future.

Metal Storm users: you can vote in the poll below to choose your favourite demo/EP of the issue. The winners each year are nominated in our annual Metal Storm Awards so exercise your rights: this is the one category chosen completely by YOU the readers. Make sure your favourite independent metal is recognized each year!

(Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Email demos@metalstorm.net to submit your music.)

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 4 #5
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 4 #4
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 4 #3

And now to the new music...

Liverkick - Narben
Listen at Bandcamp

Hello, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and saviour Grind? Two minutes, that's all the French guys in Liverkick ask of you. Laugh not, as two minutes of this pummelling and groovy grindcore similar to a cleaner modern Nasum is enough to convert every non-believer to the religion of Grind. Narben is probably one of the shortest demos around, but it proves that length is not all that matters.

by Ilham

Astral Blood - Astral Blood
Listen at Bandcamp

Epic and thick black metal infused with heavy keyboards. The synthesized orchestra brings an eerie, banshee-like quality instead of "beauty," per se, though it also makes the music larger than life. In my writing I've been trying to get away from clichés such as "onslaught" and others. Fuck it. ONSLAUGHT. On Slaught. Get your slaught on. Epic music absolutely assaults your ears. Even the 2 minute interlude (seriously, it's entitled "Interlude") keeps the intensity skyward even if the tempo is brought down. This trio features multi-instrumentalist Joe Waller of Amiensus, which should intrigue the shit out of you. If this EP is a sign of things to come then I may have a new favorite black metal act.

by Susan

Every Hour Kills - Almost Human
Listen to Song #1, Song #2 & Song #3

For once, "modern melodic metal" does seem an apt description of a band. We have elements of heavy metal, melodeath, metalcore, slight electronics, and other surprises yet no one sound eclipses the others. Above it all, the addictive tunes feature superb vocals. Harsh vocals enter the picture a few times but the gruff cleans dominate and are truly excellent. All performances are just top notch, which is to be expected as Every Hour Kills features ex-members of Divinity, Kobra & The Lotus, and many other solid acts. These three professionally produced and composed songs are a prelude to the band's debut EP, due out this summer. I. Cannot. Wait.

by Susan

- Den
Listen at Bandcamp

Wow, this band really knows how to riff. Stoner metal à la Yob, slow doom influences, acoustic guitars, deep desolate growls, you get the whole package here. These Finns have mastered the art of uninterrupted heaviness. Plain and simple: when you enter 's dark and damp Den, it is filthy and bleak out there. But it is also like an addiction you can't quit. You have been warned!

by BloodTears

Lo! - The Tongueless
Listen at Bandcamp

Blessed be the horrible world that we live in, for it produces the most emotionally disturbed individuals, whom in turn produce the best pieces of catharsistic music we need to wash it all away. The Tongueless is a short tragedy in four acts. A tragedy without hero, in which everyone dies from an overdose of feels and sludgecore. Click here to watch these four young artists perform in a dramatic and captivating video.

by Ilham

Tellus Effluentia - Physical, Emotional, Temporal
Listen at Bandcamp

It is rare when a band titles their opus in a way that not only connotes the effect of the album on the listener, but also describes exactly what it sounds like. P,E,T is the modern incarnation of the pre-Oceanic-Isis spirit: it plays with textures and genres, mixing post-metal and sludge elements with post-hardcore vocals. If post-metal were a big family, Tellus Effluentia wouldn't look out of place sitting in the family tree next to As We Draw. Please welcome them warmly.

by Ilham

Poll

What's your favorite new release this issue?

Login or register to vote. Results are hidden

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 93 users
03.03.2015 - 19:16
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Get your slaught on. That must be the funniest thing I've read / heard today haha
----
loves 小巫
03.03.2015 - 22:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Tough choice between Lo! and Tellus Effluentia... But I went for the later because I'm a sucker for post metal with those intense shrieks ever since I got into Amenra.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.03.2015 - 11:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Anyone noticed this is an all-girl CC?
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.03.2015 - 12:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 04.03.2015 at 11:06

Anyone noticed this is an all-girl CC?

Well done, Angels.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.03.2015 - 22:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I say Knoxville Tennessee (if I remember correct) and old users might remember as well, so my vote goes for it and it is 1th one in order from up to down
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.03.2015 - 23:53
Ilham
Giant robot
What?
05.03.2015 - 01:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 04.03.2015 at 23:53

What?

member list and locations
----

apos;'
[image]
05.03.2015 - 17:34
Susan
Smeghead
I used to live in Knoxville, I think he may be referencing that? I like a Bad English puzzle sometimes!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
05.03.2015 - 17:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 05.03.2015 at 17:34

I used to live in Knoxville, I think he may be referencing that? I like a Bad English puzzle sometimes!!

Yes you know voting must be hidden, only chosen few should know to what my vote went
----

apos;'
[image]
16.03.2015 - 22:07
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
You girls... This one is a really tough choice. All the bands are very good, each one in their own musical territory.
In the end my vote went to Dö, because, at the moment, stoner/doom is more my kind of thing (obrigado ao BloodTears).
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"

Hits total: 5848 | This month: 16