Metal Storm logo
MZ's Favorite Death Metal Albums

My favarite death metal records. I avoided making this list for long because
a) I've suggested many of these albums on the lists of the others
b) many of them appear on my other lists
c) my knowledge on OSDM is extremely shallow
In the other words, this is a shit list and I admit it. Any help for improvement in the form of suggestions is appreciated.

Created by: mz | 04.03.2015

1. !T.O.O.H.! - Pod Vládou Biče (Under The Reign Of The Whip)
2. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius
3. Adversarial - Death, Endless Nothing And The Black Knife Of Nihilism
4. Altars - Paramnesia
5. Antediluvian - λόγος
6. Apparatus - Apparatus
7. Bölzer - Aura
8. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
9. Chaos Ech-s - Tone Of Things To Come
10. Crotchduster - Big Fat Box Of Shit
11. Cruciamentum - Engulfed In Desolation
12. Death - Human
13. Demilich - Nespithe
14. Desolate Shrine - The Sanctum Of Human Darkness
15. Diocletian - War Of All Against All
16. Disembowelment - Transcendence Into The Peripheral
17. Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred For Mankind
18. Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
19. Ehnahre - Old Earth
20. Emptiness - Nothing But The Whole
21. Execration - Morbid Dimensions
22. Flourishing - The Sum Of All Fossils
23. Gigan - Quasi-Hallucinogenic Sonic Landscapes
24. Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
25. Gorguts - Obscura
26. Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum
27. Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation Of Hypocritical Ambivalence
28. Indesinence - Vessels Of Light And Decay
29. Lykathé - Elvenefris
30. Malthusian - Demo MMXIII
31. Mitochondrion - Parasignosis
32. Musmahhu - Reign Of The Odious
33. Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
34. Owl - You Are The Moon, I Am The Night
35. Portal - Outre'
36. Pyrrhon - The Mother Of Virtues
37. Skeleton Of God - Primordial Dominion
38. Slugdge - Gastronomicon
39. Suffering Hour - Dwell
40. Swallowed - Lunarterial
41. The Amenta - n0n
42. Tribulation - The Formulas Of Death
43. Ulcerate - The Destroyers Of All
44. Vanhelgd - Relics Of Sulphur Salvation
45. Witchrist - Beheaded Ouroboros

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by mz ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 46   Visited by: 174 users
04.03.2015 - 16:45
MetalDoomMaster

Abyssal + Lykathe = +1.
04.03.2015 - 16:48
MetalDoomMaster

Akercocke wouldn't look too bad on here either.
04.03.2015 - 16:53
mz

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 04.03.2015 at 16:45

Abyssal + Lykathe = +1.

Thanks.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
04.03.2015 - 16:53
mz

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 04.03.2015 at 16:48

Akercocke wouldn't look too bad on here either.

Yeah I just need to familiarize myself with their disco a little more.
----
04.03.2015 - 16:56
MetalDoomMaster

Written by mz on 04.03.2015 at 16:53

Yeah I just need to familiarize myself with their disco a little more.

Are you familiar with any of their albums? I'd be really surprised if you haven't heard this already.
04.03.2015 - 17:01
mz

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 04.03.2015 at 16:56

Are you familiar with any of their albums? I'd be really surprised if you haven't heard this already.

video

I had heard this one long time ago and I think it was pretty good to say at least. Will check it again sometime, despite the fact that satanic content really puts me off
----
04.03.2015 - 17:05
MetalDoomMaster

Written by mz on 04.03.2015 at 17:01

I had heard this one long time ago and I think it was pretty good to say at least. Will check it again sometime, despite the fact that satanic content really puts me off

Ah, I forgot about that. At least their lyrics have more thought behind them than most satanic bands that just blather about how awesome Satan is or whatever.
04.03.2015 - 17:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Maybe a discalimer saying that not everything is pure dm or even mostly dm on this list will help. Or else I will start whining about Indesinence, diSEMBOWELMENT, Emptiness being on this list
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2015 - 17:26
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2015 at 17:24

Maybe a discalimer saying that not everything is pure dm or even mostly dm on this list will help. Or else I will start whining about Indesinence, diSEMBOWELMENT, Emptiness being on this list

Sludge, The Amenta, and Bolzer too.
----
The Fangirl.
04.03.2015 - 17:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by angel. on 04.03.2015 at 17:26

Sludge, The Amenta, and Bolzer too.

Slugdge I would call more death than anything else same for The Amenta and esepcially Bölzer.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2015 - 17:31
mz

I knew someone was going to say that
Indeed I wanted to have such disclaimer but figured that its inclusion will give way to many more doom death records, which I don't like to have on this list. Indesinence and diSEMBOWELMENT, duno, they are two of the most DMish doom death bands I've heard of, even maybe calling diselbowelment a doom grind/death is justified.
Emptiness, though, I'd say that they are mostly death metal. The mood created is more akin to BM I think but it's not enough to call it a BM record. Also, note that I have emptiness also on my BM list
----
04.03.2015 - 17:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Emptiness I would call more black than death due to the riffing and such which is way more black metal than death metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2015 - 17:44
mz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2015 at 17:35

Emptiness I would call more black than death due to the riffing and such which is way more black metal than death metal.

Maybe but acknowledging that album twice doesn't do any harm.
Any other album excluding Old Earth you consider out of the place?
----
04.03.2015 - 18:56
Fearmeister
Account deleted
This list is too long, can you please shorten it?
04.03.2015 - 19:13
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 04.03.2015 at 18:56

No.
----
The Fangirl.
04.03.2015 - 19:22
Lit.
Account deleted
A lot of bands on here bug me (Emptiness especially, there's no way they're death metal at all), but other than that, good list. You even get bonus points for choosing the best Death album. No Dead Congregation, though? Hooded Menace? Bloodbath? Entombed?

Also, maybe you'd like this:

04.03.2015 - 20:06
mz

Written by Guest on 04.03.2015 at 19:22

A lot of bands on here bug me (Emptiness especially, there's no way they're death metal at all), but other than that, good list. You even get bonus points for choosing the best Death album. No Dead Congregation, though? Hooded Menace? Bloodbath? Entombed?

Also, maybe you'd like this:

video

Dead Congregation will appear finally I think as I'm loving them more each day. Also, I initially wanted to include the 1st EP of BB but hindered to check their first few records. Hooded Menance is an odd band as I don't enjoy them that much, surprisingly.
Regarding Entombed, I do love their first two records, but that's all I've heard from them. It sounds hypocrytical to me to include them as it might imply that I'm familiar with their discography.
Repugnant was something I initially considered for inclusion but it was left out to stop the number of albums at 40. Will add it in the next update, probably.
And cheers
----
04.03.2015 - 20:24
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by mz on 04.03.2015 at 20:06

Also, I initially wanted to include the 1st EP of BB but hindered to check their first few records.

The first two are prime cuts of modern death from a supergroup band. I'd be surprised if you didn't like them, or at least try them.

Hooded Menace is an odd band as I don't enjoy them that much, surprisingly.

I'm more of a fan of their later stuff if anything (from Effigies on). As long as you considered them.

Regarding Entombed, I do love their first two records, but that's all I've heard from them. It sounds hypocritical to me to include them as it might imply that I'm familiar with their discography.

Check out Wolverine Blues, then. It's my favorite by them as I like their death 'n roll style more. Honestly, the first three albums are all you need to know from Entombed.

Repugnant was something I initially considered for inclusion but it was left out to stop the number of albums at 40. Will add it in the next update, probably.
And cheers

Again, as long as you considered it (though personally, I'd shoot for fifty, if just for that extra ten).
04.03.2015 - 20:28
mz

Written by Guest on 04.03.2015 at 20:24

The first two are prime cuts of modern death from a supergroup band. I'd be surprised if you didn't like them, or at least try them.

Yeah sorry. I meant re-check. I've heard all of their records. Just need to decide which one is better.
And again thanks for the rest of info.
----
04.03.2015 - 21:32
Diverge

Gotta recommend Timeghoul as well. Not sure what your feelings are on that group, but it's pretty decent shiz.
04.03.2015 - 22:06
Joe Zombie

Some great picks on here. I see Crimson but not Purgatory Afterglow? Also: Septicflesh and Horrendous.
04.03.2015 - 23:43
musclassia

They're hardly unknown so I'm sure you've heard it once upon a time but on the off-chance you haven't, Winds of Creation by Decapitated is pretty much the ultimate straight-up death album as far as I'm concerned, although Resurrection Through Carnage by Bloodbath and Like An Ever Flowing Stream by Dismember are amazing too.

As far as less well known stuff goes, I'm not particularly knowledgable on the death metal underground (or even 'overground' as it were), but I was very fond of 'Nader Sadek - In The Flesh', 'Deeds Of Flesh - Portals To Canaan', 'Necrophobic - Hrimthursum', 'Ade - Spartacus (generic as hell but very fun)', 'Horrendous - Ecdysis', and 'Swallowed - Lunarterial (mainly for the awesome closing track)' in the past few years, so hopefully one of those will be both new to you and of some form of interest
05.03.2015 - 00:46
mz

Written by Guest on 04.03.2015 at 18:56

I'm obsessed with long lists. I aim to have a list with 730+ entities. I know that's a bad habit to have and it totally wrong but cant stop loving long lists ;P
----
05.03.2015 - 00:46
mz

Written by Diverge on 04.03.2015 at 21:32

Gotta recommend Timeghoul as well. Not sure what your feelings are on that group, but it's pretty decent shiz.

I'm not familiar with them. Thanks for the recommendation.
----
05.03.2015 - 00:49
mz

Written by Joe Zombie on 04.03.2015 at 22:06

Some great picks on here. I see Crimson but not Purgatory Afterglow? Also: Septicflesh and Horrendous.

Crimson is much better that anything else they had done IMO and the presence of it on the list nullifies the presence of any other of their albums IMO.
I like septicflesh's earlier records, but not as much as including them here. Same for Horrendous, though I might not have given proper attention to them up to now.
----
05.03.2015 - 00:57
mz

Written by musclassia on 04.03.2015 at 23:43

They're hardly unknown so I'm sure you've heard it once upon a time but on the off-chance you haven't, Winds of Creation by Decapitated is pretty much the ultimate straight-up death album as far as I'm concerned, although Resurrection Through Carnage by Bloodbath and Like An Ever Flowing Stream by Dismember are amazing too.

As far as less well known stuff goes, I'm not particularly knowledgable on the death metal underground (or even 'overground' as it were), but I was very fond of 'Nader Sadek - In The Flesh', 'Deeds Of Flesh - Portals To Canaan', 'Necrophobic - Hrimthursum', 'Ade - Spartacus (generic as hell but very fun)', 'Horrendous - Ecdysis', and 'Swallowed - Lunarterial (mainly for the awesome closing track)' in the past few years, so hopefully one of those will be both new to you and of some form of interest

I'm listening to disember LaEFS right now Also, refer to my previous answers regarding the Bloodbath.
I loved decapitated very much a few years ago but that impression has faded away. Cant think of any straight-up tech death record to include on this list now, except for maybe beyond creation's debut. Not that I'm any sort of expert on the genre by any means, though so I might be missing a lot of gems.
I enjoyed NS back when they released their debut, but not enough to include them here. Need to revisit them soon. Moreover, I'm not familiar with Deads of Flesh and Ade . From Necrophobic I've just heard their last record, which was not impressive that much tbh. Horrendous is cool and original, but I don't enjoy them as much as the others it seems. Also, Swallowed is included here
----
05.03.2015 - 01:05
mz

Written by deadone on 05.03.2015 at 00:18

Quote:
In the other words, this is a shit list and I admit it

Can't be a shit list if it's a list of things you like!

That's far better than claiming it's a list of the best albums in the world or even worse a generic list of standard best DM albums (Leprosy, Altars of Madness, Left Hand Path, Deicide etc etc etc).

Thanks man. I just wanted to clear the fact that this list is made in a very humble way. As someone who is increasingly loving the new wave of OSDM, I admit that I don't know much about the its original movement.
----
05.03.2015 - 01:13
musclassia

Written by mz on 05.03.2015 at 00:57

I'm listening to disember LaEFS right now Also, refer to my previous answers regarding the Bloodbath.

Hope you enjoy LaEFS, Override of the Overture is just killer. And I see now

I loved decapitated very much a few years ago but that impression has faded away. Cant think of any straight-up tech death record to include on this list now, except for maybe beyond creation's debut. Not that I'm any sort of expert on the genre by any means, though so I might be missing a lot of gems.

I was into tech-death for a bit but kinda burned out on it quite quickly for the most part, just became too same-y. As it is I don't really include WoC in the tech-death sphere - even if it is technical, it's too primal, punchy, and just plain sinister to put alongside those bands obsessed with outplaying each other. Also, Spheres of Madness off of Nihility is ultra-groovy in the absolute best way possible. A shame the band turned out how they are now, but given their past it's understandable.

As far as tech-death goes, Atheist (particularly Unquestionable Presence) is the obvious recommendation, Mother Man is extraordinary. Other common recs worth checking are Focus by Cynic and Testimony of the Ancients by Pestilence, and more recently, Omnivium by Obscura, but my appetite from the genre is mostly dwindled apart from those albums and later Death aside from the odd thing here and there.

I enjoyed NS back when they released their debut, but not enough to include them here.

It took me a long time to get won over by what seemed not much more than a decent album, but I think particularly thanks to Sulffer, this one really worked its way into my affections over the past few years.

From Necrophobic I've just heard their last record, which was not impressive that much tbh.

It's more blackened death than straight death, and not particularly heavy, more catchy, but Hrimthursum is massively superior to Womb of Lilithu or whatever it was called. Likely not for everyone but that's the album that's got the best chance of winning someone over - not particularly challenging or innovative but very entertaining.

Also, Swallowed is included here

Right you are!
05.03.2015 - 02:49
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by deadone on 05.03.2015 at 02:44

When I saw your comment here on the forum list, based on previous scenes I thought you were going to say something like how it's missing old-school death metal on this list
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.03.2015 - 07:09
Sznc

Someone is sharing my love for that !T.O.O.H.! album there. The rest of the list is very fantastic as well, cheers.

Hits total: 4533 | This month: 17