10. The Malkuth Grimoire
11. C-Value Enigma
12. Funeral For A Continent

The Best Debut Album Of 2015

Staff review by
Windrider
Rating:
N/A
When it comes to progressive metal, one finds many die-hard fans and others who can't handle it at all. It might be that this genre has a larger ratio of musicians among the fans, those who comprehend the music are more likely to enjoy it with all its facets. Out of nothing now a new band emerged; Alkaloid from Germany greet us with their first ever release after their formation just a year ago. The musicians, however, are known to some people from their work with other big bands like Necrophagist, Obscura or Dark Fortress. Therefore, calling this new project a big surprise would be a bit of an exaggeration, nevertheless the music is worth the praise it currently receives.

Read more ››
published 27.05.2015 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
qlacs
Rating:
N/A
I felt cringing inside the last time I tried this one and I couldn't remember why. Let's see now. On first impulse it feels like leftover Obscura material that they tried to make more interesting with nice clean passages. Or, for that matter, it feels like not much of anything at all. Is it the production? To me it seems a bit lifeless, stale. It doesn't quite kick me in the guts. The music is... often good. It seems to be dragging a lot; even if I got hooked, it was usually because of the guitar solo (maybe I'm listening to too much tech death?). It gets me expecting some epic counterpoint or breakdown, but none of these are really happening. Sometimes it succeeds in being chaotic, hoping to be interesting. Just like my review of it.

Read more ››
published 21.02.2018 | Comments (0)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 74   Visited by: 974 users
25.03.2015 - 17:20
Risto
Wandering Midget
Yeah, making a Mastodon or goth metal reference on Alkaloid is not credible. Also, his mini-review on the new Chaos Divine made me go "my mind is full of fuck"
25.03.2015 - 17:46
Rating: 8
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Risto on 25.03.2015 at 17:20

Yeah, making a Mastodon or goth metal reference on Alkaloid is not credible. Also, his mini-review on the new Chaos Divine made me go "my mind is full of fuck"

It amazes me how much people like you give me flack for what I do. I constantly encourage people to listen to stuff that I may not like (see pretty much every review I have written as well as the fact that I declined to score several such albums this year...including the one you just named). Meanwhile you all play Gestapo on people's opinions. Even taking the albums I reviewed most harshly in the past few months, Slipknot and Periphery, people are entitled to enjoy those albums. I just encourage them to step out and try some other things as well. I spend at least an hour each day promoting small bands in hopes that it will help them out. Several of these bands have thanked me. That is enough. My personal opinion was that there are other more deserving bands of my precious time this year than Alkaloid. And given the amount of positive support they are receiving from others here, I think they will have enough help as it is. Hopefully at least one of you actually pays for the album and spreads the word for them.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
25.03.2015 - 18:27
RedOctober
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 24.03.2015 at 20:24

Written by Guest on 22.03.2015 at 17:19

Best album of 2015 at the moment

I kind of like the BTBAM-sounding clean portions, but the extreme parts just aren't doing it for me. Altered Magnitudes is a good song though. They seem to do a better fast extreme than slow one. You're 100% entitled to your opinion, but please at least give a listen to the new A Forest of Stars, Leviathan, Enslaved, Death Karma, and Downfall of Nur before you make that statement. It's been a strong month or two in any case. I give this a 6.9.

I think the Grossman penned tracks are better. I really liked the album. The Enslaved album is excellent but you prefer death metal. In the middle of checking out the A Forest of Stars album. The leviathan album dunno just didn't click. I am really liking the an autumn for crippled children album though.
25.03.2015 - 18:41
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 25.03.2015 at 18:27

I think the Grossman penned tracks are better. I really liked the album. The Enslaved album is excellent but you prefer death metal. In the middle of checking out the A Forest of Stars album. The leviathan album dunno just didn't click. I am really liking the an autumn for crippled children album though.

Don't neglect Death Karma and Downfall of Nur. I'm interested to hear what you say about AFoS. That one was a grower, but now it's #2 of the year for me so far. Leviathan was a grower as well, but it's definitely a tougher sell on some levels.
----
25.03.2015 - 18:58
Wukk
In this thread: people telling people they are listening to music wrong.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
25.03.2015 - 21:17
Diverge
Written by Wukk on 25.03.2015 at 18:58

In this thread: people telling people they are listening to music wrong.

Not at all. My argument is not that there's a right or a wrong way to listen to music. I'm literally just saying that impulsive reviews are worthless if you don't know what you're talking about.
25.03.2015 - 21:21
Diverge
Written by Zap on 25.03.2015 at 11:55

This album proves (once again) how irrelevant Hannes Grossmann and Christian Münzner are when they're not teaming up with Steffen Kummerer and Jeroen Paul Thesseling.

(Yes, I love Omnivium so much I fuck it.)

That's an interesting opinion, but one I expected. I actually enjoyed this better than Omnivium, I think. What exactly did you think was lacking?
26.03.2015 - 12:14
Zap
Written by Diverge on 25.03.2015 at 21:21

That's an interesting opinion, but one I expected. I actually enjoyed this better than Omnivium, I think. What exactly did you think was lacking?

I can't really pinpoint one thing I feel is lacking; in fact, all the elements are there, but nothing grabs me. It sounds close to Grossmann's other work (although less tech-death-y and more proggy,) but--just like his latest solo output--it doesn't have that flow throughout the album that I thought Omnivium had (if we're gonna make comparisons anyway). However, I do prefer this one over The Radial Covenant, simply because there is more attention to detail and building something resembling an atmosphere. All that would still guarantee a pretty good album, if it wasn't for the length*... I like to think there's a good album in here somewhere but they could have easily cut out 20 minutes. Right now it just feels unremarkable; if it were shorter I bet it'd flow better and be quite a ride. It's a decent debut, but I just don't see myself returning to it any time soon.

*Just to be clear, I have no problem with long albums when they can hold my attention for the entirety of their running time. But when they can't, I have a huge problem with them. I prefer albums that leave me wanting more over albums that make me wanna stop listening halfway through. (I bet that last bit is a quote from some review on here, probably by Troy, not sure)
28.03.2015 - 20:20
Rating: 9
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by flightoficarus on 25.03.2015 at 17:46

It amazes me how much people like you give me flack for what I do.

This
29.03.2015 - 04:10
Diverge
Written by Zap on 26.03.2015 at 12:14

Written by Diverge on 25.03.2015 at 21:21

I can't really pinpoint one thing I feel is lacking; in fact, all the elements are there, but nothing grabs me. It sounds close to Grossmann's other work (although less tech-death-y and more proggy,) but--just like his latest solo output--it doesn't have that flow throughout the album that I thought Omnivium had (if we're gonna make comparisons anyway). However, I do prefer this one over The Radial Covenant, simply because there is more attention to detail and building something resembling an atmosphere. All that would still guarantee a pretty good album, if it wasn't for the length*... I like to think there's a good album in here somewhere but they could have easily cut out 20 minutes. Right now it just feels unremarkable; if it were shorter I bet it'd flow better and be quite a ride. It's a decent debut, but I just don't see myself returning to it any time soon.

*Just to be clear, I have no problem with long albums when they can hold my attention for the entirety of their running time. But when they can't, I have a huge problem with them. I prefer albums that leave me wanting more over albums that make me wanna stop listening halfway through. (I bet that last bit is a quote from some review on here, probably by Troy, not sure)

You've made some completely valid points here. In my opinion, Omnivium was a step down from Cosmogenesis and lacked the kind of flow I was looking for (despite some jaw-dropping instrumental moments). I thought Cosmogenesis was a little more direct and captivating. The additional focus on melody on this Alkaloid album pushed this one over the line for me, but the length is indeed an issue. Your justification here makes a lot of sense given how much you enjoy Omnivium, though.
29.03.2015 - 05:33
Diverge
Written by flightoficarus on 25.03.2015 at 18:41

If you don't understand the music a band is playing, acknowledge it openly or don't comment about it. Literally every person on this thread knows more about the music Alkaloid plays than you do.

Here's a good reason why you receive the flack you do: Reviews are more than trivial pieces of writing in which one spews an opinion. On the surface level, you might do it because it can help a band gain attention in a tangible way. But the people who actually read reviews, people like me, want different things. We want accurate characterizations of the band written in an eloquent and interesting manner, not descriptions filled with bands that are barely relevant. I would even classify some of the reviews on this websites as poetic (for example, the one for Kayo Dot's newest by Introspekrieg and the one for Blindead's Affliction XXIX II MXMVI album by tea[m]ster), and those capture my attention well while describing the nature of the music to a T. Why do we care about accurate characterizations and interesting reviews? Well, we ultimately want to know whether or not it's worth OUR time to check out. Because I literally don't care about the one hour you spend a day promoting little bands (which sounds ludicrous), and I don't care about your dream to generate enough ad revenue to support your family from your reviews (which sounds even more ludicrous). I care about the time I spend listening to music I find pleasurable, and I want to avoid albums that will disappoint me (unless they are so bad that they gain notoriety and become hot topics for a few months on this website). So reviews also act as pieces of convincing writing which help people allocate their time and resources so they can explore metal/other music in exactly the way they seek. These goals are primary- highlighting underground or lowkey bands is a more secondary objective. Your reviews accomplish few, if any, of these goals and because they're everywhere on this website now, users are going to be irked by them. You also don't take criticism well at all and you've shown little interest in improving your craft or learning from people who know more than you. Opinions don't matter in general (we all have them, so what makes any particular one important?), but convincing and eloquent opinions DO matter because they enable conversation and exploration and help people gain clarification on how THEY experience the world.

So how can you improve minireviews and reviews? Check out some of the styles on Metal Storm and focus on developing your own. Restrict yourself to topics of interest which you can write about convincingly (a good example would be the way Apothecary generally limits himself to certain styles he's interested in and knows more than the average person about). Take note of any conversations about the album you wish to review and carefully consider all points you feel are valid, especially if they are recurring thoughts. While the mass consensus isn't necessarily true, you should take it into account and take the time to dismantle it if you want your review to be convincing. "Given that many are singing this album's praises, you shouldn't take my word for it" is not a line people want to read- people want to know WHY people would be singing its praises and why there are problems even with the things people like about it. And if a band is a "supergroup", take the time to listen to the constituent acts and see if you can make any points of comparison. It's also relevant to say that the band sounds completely different from its constituent acts- that's informative.
29.03.2015 - 06:28
Traezeus
I really dig this album; I find it pretty refreshing. Some tracks are just awesome but there are a couple I'm not too crazy about.
29.03.2015 - 07:21
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Diverge on 29.03.2015 at 05:33

There are many styles of reviewing. While certain albums strike me with enough inspiration to develop on some sort of metaphor, I am more interested in delivering the basics. What does it remind me of? What styles do the instruments play? What strikes me as different? Personally, I find over-thinking the poetry of the review itself to be somewhat masturbatory. But like you say, some people are more drawn to that. Others like me are more interested in whether the sound described seems interesting enough to listen to. The world needs both since one size certainly does not fit all. Again, the brief comments on album pages and in my minireviews are really neither. They are just my passing opinions. If they weren't meant to be shared there wouldn't be forums or public ranking systems. This all seems to have started because I disliked a band that you seem quite invested in. If I had to argue with every person who didn't like a group I regard highly, I wouldn't have time to eat or sleep. Furthermore, I'm not going to comfort myself by saying these people simply "don't understand" the genre or what the group is trying to do. People either like things or they don't. It's as simple as that. I don't need to listen to 1000, or even 1, progressive metal album to decide whether I think something is enjoyable or not. That's part of the reason why I score the way that I do. Alkaloid does strike me as innovative and decently strong in musicianship, however those elements aren't sufficiently building something engaging for me in this case. I am glad that you are passionate enough about some of these groups to have such strong opinions, but I think channeling it into some reviews of your own to sway others is a better use of time than engaging in personal attacks and character defamation campaigns. It's a lesson I am still learning as well. I will make no further comment of this here and allow the comments to return to discussion of Alkaloid. If you want to talk further, let's PM.
----
29.03.2015 - 18:00
Frudd
Account deleted
Cool shit, i like it very much
29.03.2015 - 19:30
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by LeKiwi on 24.03.2015 at 16:50

He kinda looks like Jahon.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
31.03.2015 - 14:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Once again, an album getting a ton of hype that is (mostly) undeserved.
*Yawns* Next.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
31.03.2015 - 21:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.03.2015 at 15:45

I finally understand what the people that don't dig Ne Obliviscaris feel like

It feels sometimes as though technicality in metal is what impresses a lot of people these days. I moved past that stage of music listening a long time ago, yeah there's some really good musicianship here, but it just feels cold and devoid of feeling to me. Same with Ne Obliviscaris.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
31.03.2015 - 23:36
Diverge
Written by flightoficarus on 29.03.2015 at 07:21

There are many styles of reviewing. While certain albums strike me with enough inspiration to develop on some sort of metaphor, I am more interested in delivering the basics. What does it remind me of? What styles do the instruments play? What strikes me as different?

Really you should work on the basics, because you can't really answer any of those questions.

Again, the brief comments on album pages and in my minireviews are really neither. They are just my passing opinions. If they weren't meant to be shared there wouldn't be forums or public ranking systems.

Forums and public ranking systems are designed to facilitate conversation about the music. Your mini-reviews and comments about certain albums are so out to lunch that any rational conversation about the albums will be found elsewhere. Even saying BTBAM is a major component in this is completely off.

This all seems to have started because I disliked a band that you seem quite invested in. If I had to argue with every person who didn't like a group I regard highly, I wouldn't have time to eat or sleep. Furthermore, I'm not going to comfort myself by saying these people simply "don't understand" the genre or what the group is trying to do. People either like things or they don't. It's as simple as that. I don't need to listen to 1000, or even 1, progressive metal album to decide whether I think something is enjoyable or not. That's part of the reason why I score the way that I do.

I like the band, but it's nothing extraordinary. I don't have a great deal of investment with Alkaloid actually. I'm arguing with you because I see you around damn near everywhere on this forum and you irritate me. I'm saying that basing your scores relative to accomplishments within the genre of interest (in this case, relative to prog death/technical metal) will improve the calibre of your reviews and opinions and will help you understand exactly what Alkaloid is trying to accomplish.

I am glad that you are passionate enough about some of these groups to have such strong opinions, but I think channeling it into some reviews of your own to sway others is a better use of time than engaging in personal attacks and character defamation campaigns.

I can explore metal in whatever way I want, and that does not necessitate reviews. It's not obvious that review writing is a better use of my time, actually. I've tried to avoid attacking your character too much (really I've given you lots of relevant feedback that might help you become a better reviewer, or at least less annoying in the eyes of other MS users), but trust me that you haven't made it easy.
03.04.2015 - 15:37
Rating: 9
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Diverge on 31.03.2015 at 23:36
Quote:
If you want to talk further, let's PM.
Just saying...
03.04.2015 - 15:41
Mattybu
That C-section song is pretty shit, computer-made or not. But might give the whole album a listen later. I've enjoyed some extreme/progressive metal lately
03.04.2015 - 18:44
Diverge
Written by LeKiwi on 03.04.2015 at 15:37

Written by Diverge on 31.03.2015 at 23:36
Quote:
If you want to talk further, let's PM.
Just saying...

I didn't mean to shift the topic so dramatically, and I can honestly say I went a little overboard. Sorry for the eyesore, everyone.
As for PMing the OP, I don't think I will. He'll probably just scold me for giving him extensive feedback instead of writing reviews of my own and contributing to the Metal Storm community. But then again, what was I expecting? The OP thinks Mastodon and goth metal are suitable comparisons for this kind of music, so it's not like I'm dealing with someone rational.
04.04.2015 - 05:50
Lionthrone
It's all right, you can't be a regular contributor to this community and not mix it up with someone at some point. Let bygones be bygones! Casual MS users like myself appreciate both styles of reviews and all manner of opinions in an effort to zero in on likeable new music as efficiently as possible.
05.04.2015 - 14:36
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I don't get that hype about it.. Listened through once only though, maybe I'll revisit the album when I got some time
05.04.2015 - 21:01
Sword_Chant
It's okay but i'm another to not get the hype - I thought the new Enslaved and Moonspell albums were better. Guess I just couldn't get into this one.
07.04.2015 - 23:59
Ilham
Giant robot
I enjoy this single track I am using to illustrate my point much more than I enjoyed this entire album.

08.04.2015 - 10:34
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
All style, not enough substance. The musical version of a Luc Besson film?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.04.2015 - 20:53
Rating: 10
Eternity'sChild
I really love this album, especially the first two songs are one of the best tracks I've heard, I would say. But I see, why quite a big number of people don't get the hype around the album. Long songs, that don't grab you are one of the worst things that can happen. At first I had my doubts as well, if I really like it as a whole, or just a few songs, but it turned out that some of them clicked after the third? (I don't know exactly) listen. The C-Value Song really annoys me a bit, it's not representative of the album at all, it just sounds like nothing to me (meaning too simple and random (in terms of composition) at the same time, if that makes any sense to someone else).
27.04.2015 - 15:54
Rating: 6
Erik M.
Written by M C Vice on 08.04.2015 at 10:34

Someone hasn't seen Léon it seems.
27.04.2015 - 15:56
Rating: 6
Erik M.
Listened to this album once and can't say I liked it. Might give it another chance soon.
28.04.2015 - 10:58
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Erik M. on 27.04.2015 at 15:54

Written by M C Vice on 08.04.2015 at 10:34

Someone hasn't seen Léon it seems.

Years ago (about 15 or so, maybe more?) a review in the TV guide for The Fifth Element described Luc Besson as the master of style over substance. And I've always thought of him as such since then. I never said style over substance was a bad thing.
If Léon is the one with Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman, then yes, I have seen it, years ago. It was called The Professional on TV here.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"

Hits total: 16687 | This month: 37