Metal Storm logo
Diverse Post-Harcore Recommendations

Thumbs up: +2
Just like any other genre, post hardcore comes in a lot of different flavors. You've got the 80's and 90's forerunners who were more influenced by punk music and groove, your pop-tinged metalcore hybrids, indie/noise rock fusions, and borderline screamo groups. Regardless, these are just a few of my personal favorites to wet your whistle with.

Created by: flightoficarus | 05.03.2015

1. Quicksand - Slip
(1993) I am saddened at how few people know of this band. Stream this album at youtube today. You will not be disappointed.
2. Helmet - Betty
(1994) Meantime is a classic, but I think Betty is more mature and consistent. Killer groove, killer songs.
3. Fugazi - In On The Kill Taker
(1992) People could argue all day about the best Fugazi album, but this has the highest ratio of my favorite songs. Nobody does vocals quite like this.
4. Rollins Band - Weight
(1994) My main man Henry, punk and rock's self-appointed janitor. Yes, this album has the classic "Liar," a poignant satire and awesome music video, but there is so much more. If I ever feel like I have fallen, Rollins is there with lyrics that help me pick myself up again.
5. Poison The Well - You Come Before You
(2003) This is an absolute blast of an album. Stellar vocals in both singing and screams, and punky, breakneck beats backed by thrilling riffs. This was the soundrack to my last two years of high school. While The Opposite of December is a classic metalcore album, You Come Before You saw the band evolve beyond the lines they helped establish and explore different territories.
6. Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute
(2002) Probably the most unique vocals in the genre, at least until people started to copy it. Completely schizophrenic. One minute you're listening to some early 2000's alternative rock, the next you're being berated with distortion and screeching. If nothing else, you have to respect their atypical, but masterful, take on songwriting.
7. Beloved - Failure On
(2003) Their only album before quickly dissolving into the mist. Yet Failure On is unlike any other album I have heard. All of the typical parts are there: screaming, singing, palm-mutes, quick-picked melodious hooks?but the result has this level of melancholy I have not been able to find since.
8. Touche Amore - ...Is Survived By
(2013) Raw, short, powerful. I think Anthony Fantano said everything that needs to be said about this album in his youtube review. Leaning the most towards noise-rock and indie of anything else on this list, the screams are no less intense.
9. From Autumn to Ashes - Too Bad You're Beautiful
(2001) The melodrama here is clearly that of a group of youthful musicians, but that does not stop it from being earnest, and at times, heart-breaking. If anyone needed to remember what it was like to be an awkward, depressed teenager, throw on these raw-produced guitar-driven tunes. I was always a sucker for dual vocalists.
10. The Bled - Found In The Flood
(2005) Pass the Flask is also excellent, but with this album they took things to a more creative space that depended less on metalcore influence. There is a touch of progressive permeating throughout, and the quieter (and quite lovely) moments really make the fast-and-hard ones shine all the brighter.
11. Letlive - Fake History
(2010) Excellent album. Letlive is like a more mainstream Glassjaw, yet they differentiate their sound enough and create such a consistent album here as to make it more than forgiveable.
12. Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together
(2014) You can see my review of this album on their metalstorm page. I was not expecting anything going into this, but they managed to breathe new life.
13. Hopesfall - No Wings to Speak Of
(2002) They have a few albums, yet I picked this EP. The songs here are just beautiful and the vocals bring this sappy metalhead nearly to tears every time.
14. Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety
(2004) Probably the poppiest album on this list, and of their career. Yet this album goes to show that you can make some radio friendly tunes without abandoning conviction and substance. At least I think so. "It's a Dangerous Business?" is still a regular listen for me after all of these years.
15. Anopheli - A Hunger Rarely Sated
(2014) I threw this one into the mix after hearing the EP a few months ago. Great interplay of the two vocalists and use of strings.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by flightoficarus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 15   Visited by: 42 users
08.03.2015 - 17:59
Neachy

Are you familiar with Fear Before The March Of Flames?
08.03.2015 - 18:04
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Neachy on 08.03.2015 at 17:59

Are you familiar with Fear Before The March Of Flames?

Only in passing. I don't think I've ever sat through an entire album.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
08.03.2015 - 18:30
Neachy

The Always Open Mouth is one of the few albums I still listen to from my post-hardcore days.
08.03.2015 - 23:33
Joe Zombie

Written by Neachy on 08.03.2015 at 18:30

The Always Open Mouth is one of the few albums I still listen to from my post-hardcore days.

Such an awesome album. I had to order it right away after listening. Definitely a hallmark of a genre I find to be mostly garbage.
09.03.2015 - 00:13
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Neachy on 08.03.2015 at 18:30

Listened to a bit of it and I like it. I'll give it a full go on Monday. It reminds me of another album of similar style, but i can't think of which one.
----
09.03.2015 - 00:20
Neachy

Written by flightoficarus on 09.03.2015 at 00:13

Listened to a bit of it and I like it. I'll give it a full go on Monday. It reminds me of another album of similar style, but i can't think of which one.

I hear a bit of Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan and dare I say... Botch.
09.03.2015 - 00:24
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Neachy on 09.03.2015 at 00:20

Written by flightoficarus on 09.03.2015 at 00:13

I hear a bit of Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan and dare I say... Botch.

God help me...it's spreading like The Strain!
----
09.03.2015 - 12:48
Uldreth

For Fear Before..., I'd rec their first "Odd How People Shake". Good list, with many great albums, like the one from Beloved or Hopesfall. Only thing I'd add is that if you want something like They're Only Chasing Safety, I'd say Silverstein's last couple of albums are unbeatable in that respect, and I'd say Underoath's later albums are much better, especially Define... and Disambiguation.

Edit:
Also, do you know these albums:

Thrice - The Illusion Of Safety
Thursday - Full Collapse
Of Machines - As If Everything Was Held In Place?

The first two are classics, the third is extremely well written modern post-hc with lush guitar textures held back by the sucky lifeless Rise Records production.
09.03.2015 - 14:51
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Uldreth on 09.03.2015 at 12:48

For Fear Before..., I'd rec their first "Odd How People Shake". Good list, with many great albums, like the one from Beloved or Hopesfall. Only thing I'd add is that if you want something like They're Only Chasing Safety, I'd say Silverstein's last couple of albums are unbeatable in that respect, and I'd say Underoath's later albums are much better, especially Define... and Disambiguation.

Understanding in a car crash is a great song. Not aware of the last group, but I know Thrice. I agree that Underoath's later stuff is better, but it leaned a bit more towards straight metalcore which is why I picked the album I did for this list.
----
23.04.2019 - 22:17
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Guess I should finally get into the genre. How about one for screamo to show that screamo shouldn't be used as a derogatory term.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
23.04.2019 - 23:06
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by RaduP on 23.04.2019 at 22:17

Guess I should finally get into the genre. How about one for screamo to show that screamo shouldn't be used as a derogatory term.

God call. Maybe Saosin. I haven't looked at these lists in years tbh. Too busy with my own stuff now.
----
24.04.2019 - 00:49
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by flightoficarus on 23.04.2019 at 23:06

God call. Maybe Saosin. I haven't looked at these lists in years tbh. Too busy with my own stuff now.

Well it's great seeing you do your own stuff. Hard to believe this was 4 years ago.

Orchid and pg.99 and City Of Catepillar would be cool.
----
24.04.2019 - 19:14
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by RaduP on 24.04.2019 at 00:49

Written by flightoficarus on 23.04.2019 at 23:06

Well it's great seeing you do your own stuff. Hard to believe this was 4 years ago.

Orchid and pg.99 and City Of Catepillar would be cool.

Yeah it's crazy how time flies. Gone from lurking around here and just dicking around to trying to build up a podcast and YouTube channel. Orchid is cool. I'm not familiar with those other two, actually.
----
24.04.2019 - 19:32
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by flightoficarus on 24.04.2019 at 19:14

Yeah it's crazy how time flies. Gone from lurking around here and just dicking around to trying to build up a podcast and YouTube channel. Orchid is cool. I'm not familiar with those other two, actually.

Yeah, I've gone from lurking to writing and interviewing and it's amazing. Wish my voice and English were decent enough to be able to publish my interviews in audio rather than transcribing the whole thing.

Well fix that right now and listen to pg.99 and CoC
----
19.10.2020 - 16:40
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Update this once in a while, you might find that one or two of these have been added
----

Hits total: 1108 | This month: 11