04. Fall Behind
05. Idiot Cousin
06. Helpless Still Lost
07. Insecurity
08. Vulgar Display Of Powder
09. Words Fail Me
10. Torment Sorrow Misery Strife
11. Deathstimate

Therapy? is a band with two faces. On the one hand, we have the experimental, non-conformist Therapy? that is willing to go into all kinds of crazy, unusual territory, as evidenced by monuments to quirkiness such as Nurse, Suicide Pact - You First and Crooked Timber. On the other, we have the Therapy? that is constantly trying to recapture the glory of their greatest hit Troublegum with relatively polite and formulaic albums such as Shameless, Never Apologise Never Explain or One Cure Fits All. Alas, in 2015, with Disquiet we find ourselves staring straight at that second face.

It should therefore be pretty clear what we can expect to hear on album #14: alienation anthems delivered with rare conviction, all packaged as some of the catchiest, mercilessly addictive alternative metal this side of Nirvana. Unquestionably, Therapy? are the absolute masters of this style and few bands will ever be able to match that intensity. Unfortunately, after so many albums, this approach also sounds just a little too played out. We've heard it all before.

Naturally, given the pedigree and legacy of this band, the aforementioned sense of familiarity does not prevent one from enjoying Disquiet for what it is. The single "Still Hurts" is easily the best attempt at one-upping "Knives" that the band has released up to this point, while "Torment Sorrow Misery Strife" yet again capitalizes on Therapy?'s well-documented Hüsker Dü influence to produce an anthem as addictive as the heroin that contributed to that band's breakup. There is also a surprising nod to Black Sabbath in the vocal delivery of "Insecurity" and the riffs of "Deathstimate", as well as a powerful rhythmic workout in the brilliantly titled "Vulgar Display Of Powder". Furthermore, there is a narrative that puts this album in some perspective. Lyrically, there is a clear focus on unfinished business: "Words fail me again", "Helpless Still Lost", "Still Hurts" - its all about demons of the past still fucking up one's life even after all these years. Disquiet being a rehash of Troublegum can therefore be seen as a conceptual decision and it would only make sense that a tormented life would result in some grumpy, tired ranting.

With all this said, I would still prefer for Therapy? to go back to experimenting. Recording another Troublegum might be the safer road to take since not all of their experiments were successful, but I'd rather hear the band try and fail than become the sonic equivalent of being stuck in a rut.

Written on 31.03.2015 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 139 users
31.03.2015 - 23:14
Rating: 8
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Woho, 2 reviews by jupitreas in 2 days, after .. after 2 years , great day indeed (out of all MS reviewers, I used to read only yours )

I really enjoyed the review and really agree, crooked tember was the album I got into therapy? (after your review ofcs). Generally, this album is better than the previous one.

Hits total: 4376 | This month: 9