Metal Storm logo
One Hit Wonders

18.04.2015 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO There was something like this once on VH1 Classic or VH1 , basically bands what wrote one song, played in MTV as video, get fame, money and later totally disappear or went deep into underground

Can you recommend me some?

I remember
4 Non Blonds - Whats Up
Stiltskin - Inside
Spindoctors - 2 Princes
- some song about Black velvet where 80's woman was singing , dressed as countrys inger

Even Nena whit 99 Red Baloons,
The Buggles also can be Video Kill The Radio Star

anything like this (rock orientated ) ?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.04.2015 - 14:19
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Stiltskin had one hit in the mainstream charts but they have a few albums; Ray Wilson sang on Genesis' last album and has a solo career.

One hit wonder to me is a band/singer that releases one album and has just one hit in the charts.
18.04.2015 - 14:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 18.04.2015 at 14:19

Stiltskin had one hit in the mainstream charts but they have a few albums; Ray Wilson sang on Genesis' last album and has a solo career.

One hit wonder to me is a band/singer that releases one album and has just one hit in the charts.

true but I never ever heard anything from that band ...
----

apos;'
[image]
18.04.2015 - 14:45
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 18.04.2015 at 14:12

I remember
4 Non Blonds - Whats Up
Stiltskin - Inside
Spindoctors - 2 Princes
- some song about Black velvet where 80's woman was singing , dressed as countrys inger

Nena is a one hit wonder in the US, she was successful in her native Germany and some other places in Europe (as far as I know).
For the US, even A-ha are a one hit wonder, but everywhere else, they've head a career

Alannah Miles sang Black Velvet, but I don't think she's a one hit wonder either.
18.04.2015 - 14:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 18.04.2015 at 14:45

Written by Bad English on 18.04.2015 at 14:12

I remember
4 Non Blonds - Whats Up
Stiltskin - Inside
Spindoctors - 2 Princes

Nena is a one hit wonder in the US, she was successful in her native Germany and some other places in Europe (as far as I know).
For the US, even A-ha are a one hit wonder, but everywhere else, they've head a career

Alannah Miles sang Black Velvet, but I don't think she's a one hit wonder either.

Well Nena I know other song where she was whit some other female (BTW both wa slooking good) and it was in 00's
She can be popular in Germany but it don't make her in whole world

and real reason I opened this was I needed 100 topics opened it was 99 and I was out of ideas,,,, so ,
----

apos;'
[image]
18.04.2015 - 14:56
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Bad English on 18.04.2015 at 14:48

Well Nena I know other song where she was whit some other female (BTW both wa slooking good) and it was in 00's
She can be popular in Germany but it don't make her in whole world

and real reason I opened this was I needed 100 topics opened it was 99 and I was out of ideas,,,, so ,

Nena had a hit with Kim Wilde a while ago, don't remember the song title, but it was pretty good (as far as pop goes).
I'm not arguing why you made this thread, could be interesting, others will be more helpful than me.

Temple of the Dog was a great project and their hit was often on emptyvy in the 90s.
18.04.2015 - 14:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 18.04.2015 at 14:56

Nena had a hit with Kim Wilde a while ago, don't remember the song title, but it was pretty good (as far as pop goes).
I'm not arguing why you made this thread, could be interesting, others will be more helpful than me.

Temple of the Dog was a great project and their hit was often on emtyvy in the 90s.

It was indeed, but I had a tape, bad shit quallity , so when that's song was on TV in good quality I watched
to me that band wasn't even it has one album
----

apos;'
[image]
18.04.2015 - 15:34
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Doing some reading online on your topic makes me scratch my head all confused, but then I guess this is why mainstream sucks.

Extreme - their only hit was the ballad More than Words.
Queensryche - Silent Lucidity apparently was their only song high in the charts
Mr Big - only hit was the ballad To Be With You, I thought they had more songs.
Faith No More - Epic was apparently their only song that charted high, I thought Easy was their hit.
Giant - I See You in My Dreams - now that's a good one hit wonder.
Living Colour - Cult of Personality was the only song of theirs high up in the mainstream charts.
19.04.2015 - 19:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.04.2015 at 15:34

Doing some reading online on your topic makes me scratch my head all confused, but then I guess this is why mainstream sucks.

Faith No More - Epic was apparently their only song that charted high, I thought Easy was their hit.
Living Colour - Cult of Personality was the only song of theirs high up in the mainstream charts.

Depends on the country.

Extreme also had a hit with Get The Funk Out and also with Hole Hearted.
Mr Big also had a hit with just Take My Heart and Wild World.
Faith No More's Easy was a bigger hit here in the Netherlands than Epic
Living Colour's Open Letter To A Landlord was about as big a hit here as Cult Of Personality.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.04.2015 - 23:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

Bow Wow Wow - I wanna candy
----

apos;'
[image]
19.04.2015 - 23:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Extreme - I agree, even in my home town one (I have no clue) make graffiti about band LOL
Queensryche was BIG in a metal, anti love song, Queen of the Ryche , jet City Women, and whole Operation Mind Crime was big album and still are
Mr Big amd FNM also were big bands

In those days country also was , its now in last 15 years when basically EU is one, in those days there still was devadet and so on , its now when we are more united and US metal always was more popular here as our there IMO .... Bathoty was one hit onder whit One Road To Åsa By video in headbaners ball,
----

apos;'
[image]
24.04.2015 - 01:18
Filthgrinder

The Flys - Got You (Where I Want You)
----
22.07.2015 - 00:54
ADIresiduos

Written by Guest on 18.04.2015 at 15:34

I understand that a one hit wonder is a band / singer which rose to fame with one song and then faded away. I.e.: Steelheart, they had a huge ballad for which I can't even remember the name, and disappeared afterwards; but in your list, you mention bands which made a career from music (and some still are: Queensryche, FNM); maybe they didn't have huge hits after the one that put them on the map, but still they were active and recording albums.
For rock and metal is a little bit different than for pop and rap: rock / metal bands go more for an album than for a one song. Metallica never had a hit single before One, no video and almost no radio play, but still they were known in many countries due to their fan base and they were starting to sell many records. They were a hit as a band before they got more exposure after One.
I guess that's the reason why there aren't many one hit wonder rock / metal bands: they relly on a whole album, not just one song.