06. Dygder
07. By Silent Screaming
08. Wolf At The End Of The World
09. My Own Redemption
10. Dying Day
11. War Feeding War
12. The Narcissist
13. Godless Devotion

There was a time when the phrase "Swedish death metal" was enough to send metalheads into a frenzy. But then Stockholm got stale and Gothenburg first got oversaturated and then immersed itself in mainstream pop mannerisms and generic clichés. Things got boring or too mellow or both. And then out of the ruins came Feared with album number 6: Synder?

Feared doesn't do anything new per se. What they do is take a whole heap of groove metal, melodic death, thrash and occasionally progressive components and wrap it around a core of meaty death metal. And they do it really well.

The result is ballsy and punchy riff-laden death metal. Unlike so many Nordic bands, Feared remember that the ultimate point of metal is aural violence and to worship the almighty riff. And it doesn't matter if that riff is a slow, groove-filled monster or blistering thrash attack. The vocals are done well too, be they cavernous growls, death thrash barks ala Marco Aro or even Randy Blythe-style bellows.

Sure they slow down and go proggy like on "The Narcissist" or moody on "Godless Devotion." But it's done well and even they can't help themselves but throw a pummelling thrash time change on "The Narcissist."

The highlights are undoubtedly the mid-to-faster-paced numbers, especially mosh anthems "Caligula" and "War Feeding War" or "My Own Redemption" with its muscular combo of big, chuggy riffs and guttural growls or in your face death thrash of "Dying Day."

There is one dud of a song here, and bizarrely the band chose it for a video. That's "By Silent Screaming" and it's boring and rather messy from the perspective of composition and flow. Still, 11 good-to-great songs out of 12 is pretty good.

It's great to once more hear some great ballsy death metal coming out of Sweden (aside from mighty Entombed/Entombed A.D./whatever they're called these days). Though the author hates such phrases, this is one of those instances when one could call a band underrated. This kind of quality metal demands attention and one can only hope Synder gives Feared some much deserved success.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by deadone | 05.05.2015

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 247 users
05.05.2015 - 03:23
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Dying to hear this...
05.05.2015 - 16:46
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
I hope it's better than Vinter.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
05.05.2015 - 17:31
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by flightoficarus on 05.05.2015 at 16:46

I hope it's better than Vinter.

Have you heard Furor Incarnatus?
05.05.2015 - 17:48
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by LeKiwi on 05.05.2015 at 17:31

Have you heard Furor Incarnatus?

No, I'm relatively new to these guys.
----
05.05.2015 - 17:56
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by flightoficarus on 05.05.2015 at 17:48

No, I'm relatively new to these guys.

Ahh, judging by your rating of Vinter they probably aren't for you...
05.05.2015 - 18:01
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by LeKiwi on 05.05.2015 at 17:56

Ahh, judging by your rating of Vinter they probably aren't for you...

It just feels like it's missing something. The riffs are awesome, but the vocals are kind of bland and the whole thing just lacks a certain personality.
----
05.05.2015 - 19:00
Zap
Written by flightoficarus on 05.05.2015 at 18:01

It just feels like it's missing something. The riffs are awesome, but the vocals are kind of bland and the whole thing just lacks a certain personality.

Agreed, this band just sounds extremely generic. Not bad, but nothing really stands out.
05.05.2015 - 20:02
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Sounds like something I would like. Don't know the band, so I'll check it out when it's out
----
loves 小巫
05.05.2015 - 22:40
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by flightoficarus on 05.05.2015 at 18:01
I think Mario does some of the most bestial vocals I've ever heard. As for the music, it's just about "worshiping the riff", so there's not much more to it
06.05.2015 - 10:54
Zap
Written by deadone on 06.05.2015 at 01:23

This is 99% of modern metal.

Not disagreeing with you here.
06.05.2015 - 13:46
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Zap on 05.05.2015 at 19:00

Agreed, this band just sounds extremely generic. Not bad, but nothing really stands out.

Can you name one band which sounds similar? Feared have a unique sound that's yet to be recreated by any band afaik.
06.05.2015 - 19:29
Zap
Written by LeKiwi on 06.05.2015 at 13:46

Can you name one band which sounds similar? Feared have a unique sound that's yet to be recreated by any band afaik.

You know what, now that I'm listening to them again, I have to admit that I can't. They don't sound similar to one band in particular, but I still get the feeling I've heard it all before somewhere. It's a mish mash of a lot of bands. For you that might qualify as a unique sound, but I just don't find it exciting.
As Icarus said, it lacks personality.
06.05.2015 - 20:18
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Zap on 06.05.2015 at 19:29

You know what, now that I'm listening to them again, I have to admit that I can't. They don't sound similar to one band in particular, but I still get the feeling I've heard it all before somewhere. It's a mish mash of a lot of bands. For you that might qualify as a unique sound, but I just don't find it exciting.
As Icarus said, it lacks personality.

You have to really dig groove to like this band. If you don't you might as well not bother Hardly any death metal bands groove like these guys.
06.05.2015 - 23:03
Zap
Written by LeKiwi on 06.05.2015 at 20:18

You have to really dig groove to like this band. If you don't you might as well not bother

You're probably right
07.05.2015 - 17:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 05.05.2015 at 03:23

Dying to hear this...

I don't think this is something special To/Die/For
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.05.2015 - 18:21
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 07.05.2015 at 17:18

I don't think this is something special To/Die/For

Hits total: 5508 | This month: 10