03. From Beyond
04. One With Fire
05. Below The Slumber
06. Hungry They Will Come
07. The Banshee
08. Farewell
09. Hell Will Follow
10. Mask Of Red Death

Way back in 1984, Sweden's Enforcer came up with a blistering little heavy metal album called From Beyond. No, not really. But it might as well have been cause this little doozy would not be out of place in any self-respecting 1980s metalhead's vinyl collection.

Retro speed/thrash/heavy metal bands seldom get it right. Too often the bands play the music correctly but miss many elements - the emphasis on song writing, catchy hooks, distinctive vocals, the sound and the overall vibe. Enforcer nail every single nail squarely on the head with pure metallic force.

First are those superb guitar hooks, licks and catchy riffs. And they sound just right with the 1980s razor sharp guitar sound and production. Throw in catchy yet intense song writing and some air guitar inspiring solos and it's definitely a winner.

Olof Wikstrand comes across as a combination of Blackie Lawless and Kai Hansen with great range, energy and a versatility that sees him effortlessly go from punchy sing along speed metal in "Undying Evil" to almost haunting vocals of "From Beyond."

There's no doubt that From Beyond would be a great contender for one of the top albums of 1984. Alas Enforcer will just have to be content that their album is one of the top contenders for best traditional metal album of 2015!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 6
Production: 10

Written by deadone | 05.05.2015

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 141 users
05.05.2015 - 23:33
Totenlieder

I saw this at my local record store and thought about buying it.
Now I guess I will if its that good.
----
Blut & Krieg
06.05.2015 - 01:29
slim pickings
Account deleted
Nice review, straight and to the point (if i may say so); I liked the album a lot, there are a couple of more albums I need to listen from them.
07.05.2015 - 17:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Great ne good album, nice to read good reviews about good bands... more like this
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.05.2015 - 20:27
Rating: 9
FelixtheMetalcat

Solid band that really plays the classic style well. I have not yet heard this one but based on the few reviews I have read, it looks to be a necessary addtion pretty damned quick !
13.05.2015 - 21:28
Murder

Thanks to this review I looked foward this album at Spotify. Nice, long time since I didn't listen to classic heavy with a contemporaneous band.
09.09.2015 - 18:59
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by deadone on 09.09.2015 at 04:10

This one just keeps getting better and better. So far album of the year!

Can hardly wait til my copy finally arrives!

Correct.

Had my first listen today and it's fun. Straight. Speed. Fucking. Metal. On. Your. Face.

Mid half of record is absolutely crushing where last half is just like stopping a bullet train and it is screeching.

Fun record.

Hits total: 4914 | This month: 5