08. Engage The Fear Machine
09. Delusion Pandemic
10. Torches [feat. Greg Puciato]
11. Wine & Piss [deluxe edition bonus]
12. Nightmare Seeker (The Little Red House) [deluxe edition bonus]

The Best Thrash Metal Album Of 2015

Additional info
Produced and mixed by Josh Wilbur.
Engineering by Josh Wilbur, Nick Rowe, and Kyle McAulay.
Recorded at NRG Recording Studios and Suburban Soul Studios.

Album title is German for "storm and stress".

Staff review by
deadone
Rating:
There are some that believe that great art requires hardship and suffering. And those of us following the saga involving Lamb Of God's singer Randy Blyth 's manslaughter cases, the question arose what sort, and if any, music the band would come up with after the ordeal had finished. True to form, the band's new album VII: Sturm Und Drang's album seems to adhere to the adage that art needs pain.

Read more ››
published 06.08.2015 | Comments (16)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 43   [ 5 ignored ]   Visited by: 969 users
16.05.2015 - 04:30
J. N.
Account deleted
Pre-mature removal ejaculation. Sorry about that.
16.05.2015 - 20:32
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 16.05.2015 at 04:30

Pre-mature removal ejaculation. Sorry about that.

Could have just added the date instead of deleting the whole thing...
16.05.2015 - 20:40
J. N.
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 16.05.2015 at 20:32

I saw the full date later on.
19.05.2015 - 13:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 16.05.2015 at 20:32

the why you complain about dates in in report thread sometimes?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.05.2015 - 14:08
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 19.05.2015 at 13:44

There was a date available, I just forgot to add it When I realised that, I went to correct it and it was deleted.
19.05.2015 - 14:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 19.05.2015 at 14:08

Written by Bad English on 19.05.2015 at 13:44

There was a date available, I just forgot to add it When I realised that, I went to correct it and it was deleted.

roger ... it happens, seems Johan was super fast
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.07.2015 - 21:13
Rating: 9
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Awesome album!
23.07.2015 - 22:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Not nearly as groove and melodically oriented as their last release. A really solid return to their heavier form.
23.07.2015 - 22:52
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 23.07.2015 at 22:04

Not nearly as groove and melodically oriented as their last release. A really solid return to their heavier form.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Guess I will be checking this out.
24.07.2015 - 07:35
Timmeh
Dudeman
After one listen, for me this album is stale, ineffective and unimpressive. It RE-explores all the same musical ideas, pumping along at the same old tempo, with the same old barks from Blythe, with the same old bass drum diddles from C. Adler, with the same flicky fingered drop D guitar licks... yeah at this point you can yell out - hey what about the clean vocals on 'Embers' and soft ballad-like 'Overlord'. Well I can say that I think it's a good thing they are experimenting in new areas BUT that it feels totally unnatural and that they really should be trying to achieve variation through changing up the intricacies in their groove thrash rhythms NOT through dramatic changes in their sound.

To use a boxing metaphor, this album punches like a light weight (an old and tired one at that) when compared to heavy weights like Palaces and Ashes which have that vicious edge. I feel just absolutely no reason to listen again.
24.07.2015 - 20:32
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Timmeh on 24.07.2015 at 07:35

After one listen, for me album is stale, ineffective and unimpressive. It RE-explores all the same musical ideas, pumping along at the same old tempo, with the same old barks from Blythe, with the same old bass drum diddles from C. Adler, with the same flicky fingered drop D guitar licks... yeah at this point you can yell out - hey what about the clean vocals on 'Embers' and soft ballad-like 'Overlord'. Well I can say that I think it's a good thing they are experimenting in new areas BUT that it feels totally unnatural and that they really should be trying to achieve variation through changing up the intricacies in their groove thrash rhythms NOT through dramatic changes in their sound.

To use a boxing metaphor, this album punches like a light weight (an old and tired one at that) when compared to heavy weights like Palaces and Ashes which have that vicious edge. I feel just absolutely no reason to listen again.

Just another tiring post came from anti-LoG fat pussy who keeps diggin' for new directions from such bands.

You know it feels more annoying when guy like Timmeh who can't have a proper stand on their viewpoints. If LoG must have released new album showing new directions then crotches like him must have said, "well, this is what I hate about it. When old bands goes fmor new directions, they fucked up. Why don't just they release anything like "Wrath" or "Ashes Of The Wake" etc.

Now, LoG has released highlighting old albums's images on new record now butthurt fans crying over "why don't they just break the jinx of using old material and keep reproducing albums which we have heard tons of time".

Where to swing in, Mr Crappyhead?

As far as new LoG songs are concerned, they sounds stellar.

Not saying that if you don't agree with my viewpoint, I'll throw a net over you. No, but to the extent to which you disagree shows high-end of absolute bullshit.
24.07.2015 - 21:45
Joe Zombie

After one listen, for me this album is stale, ineffective and unimpressive. It RE-explores all the same musical ideas, pumping along at the same old tempo, with the same old barks from Blythe, with the same old bass drum diddles from C. Adler, with the same flicky fingered drop D guitar licks... yeah at this point you can yell out - hey what about the clean vocals on 'Embers' and soft ballad-like 'Overlord'. Well I can say that I think it's a good thing they are experimenting in new areas BUT that it feels totally unnatural and that they really should be trying to achieve variation through changing up the intricacies in their groove thrash rhythms NOT through dramatic changes in their sound.

I utterly and thoroughly disagree with 100% of this.

Sounds like you're dissatisfied with nearly every facet of the band's music style yet you don't want to hear a "dramatic" change in their sound?
24.07.2015 - 21:48
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro

Let me see if I got it right: you're complaining because they DON'T CHANGE, and then you complain about their DRAMATIC CHANGES. That's a whole new category for haters: the band can't do anything EXCEPT what you would, hypothetically, see as a "change in the intricacies in their groove thrash", which I believe translates as "I don't even know what I like or why I listen to this band, therefore I need to say something that sounds smart but clearly stating how I don't like them and how I'll never like any change or lack of change they do".
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
25.07.2015 - 02:32
Panterica

So far it seems this album is about to become my favorite from their whole catalog. So far 2015 has been a good year if you ask me
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
25.07.2015 - 03:31
Timmeh
Dudeman
Alright, jesus. I love lamb of god, they're actually in my 'favourite bands' list. I've listened to them for years and will continue to do so. I'm not some elitist hater like you've all assumed. I'll try and re-explain my criticism.
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.07.2015 at 20:32

Offended spout.

Cynic this is a forum where ideas and thoughts are discussed, nice shitty post. You've added nothing to the conversation, in fact all you've done is damage your own dignity.

Written by Joe Zombie on 24.07.2015 at 21:45

I utterly and thoroughly disagree with 100% of this.

Sounds like you're dissatisfied with nearly every facet of the band's music style yet you don't want to hear a "dramatic" change in their sound?

For example there are some bands which have gone through what I'd call dramatic changes in their sound at some point in their discog ie. Cryptopsy, Morbid Angel, Ulver etc.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm a musician so I feel somewhat experienced (and I know that sounds pretentious). When you write something you draw on your musical influences...
A groove thrash musician who wants to achieve a change in their sound by just going "you know what this song can be a ballad" or "a ballad is different to the rest of the album, I'll spit out one of those" is an unnatural way of writing and the song hence will sound artificial.
A groove thrash musician who wants to change their sound by incorporating some tech death they have been loving recently or some prog rock will CREATE something that feels natural like the influence just came out of them. The product will still be groove thrash but it will have new tinges and flavours.

Basically, I'm saying don't create something for the sake of being different, it is going to sound artificial and ineffective. Hey, maybe Mark and Willie were listening to a lot of 80's ballads and they felt like incorporating it into a song, MAYBE. But it sure has fuck doesn't FEEL like it when I listen to it.

I THINK IT IS BORING to explore the same 'musical ideas' (again artist talk) over and over again. I think that what I've said is a totally reasonable criticism.

You hear artists say things like 'organic' sounding etc. THIS is what I'm getting at. Look at bands like Porcupine Tree, Death, Opeth, Meshuggah, Isis... These are examples of bands who have their own musical personalities but manage to explore their personality (create albums which are unique from one another) while still staying identifiable and still feeling authentic when you listen to them.

This is a heard 'just about' all of it before (and more powerful versions of it at that) LoG album with some crappy artificial attempts of making it a more varied album by having a couple of guest musicians and getting all 'different' with their writing in a couple of songs.

Don't any of you dare imply that rhythm in music is not deep enough for them to draw, delve and explore a totally new vantage.
25.07.2015 - 03:49
Lit.
Account deleted
^ Opeth haven't sounded like anything other than King Crimson ripoffs for two albums now, Meshuggah have been doing the same thing for three, and Isis sound like every other post metal band in the world. Guy clearly has a warped perception of what counts at "organic".

Nonsense aside, the album is definitely a step-up from the previous three lackluster albums. Like Lekiwi said, it's a step more towards the heavier aspects found on albums like ATPB, Ashes Of The Wake, etc. Definitely the kind of refreshing step LoG needed to get out of their creative rut.
25.07.2015 - 04:19
Timmeh
Dudeman
Well Lit. without googling someone else's opinion, just what does 'organic' mean to you? You certainly sound as if you have the penultimate, exact definition down.
25.07.2015 - 06:42
UPDIRNS

Great album. One of their best IMO. I love all their albums though but Resolution was my least favorite, even though I like a lot of it. I'd put this one right their with Ashes and Sacrament. These guys are one of the best metal bands in any genre on the planet IMO.
27.07.2015 - 12:30
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Big fan of this. A lot of very good songs. Particularly dig the variety that comes from Chino Moreno guest vocalising on "Embers". Also really like the track "Overlord". Great mixture of aggression and melody throughout the album.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
27.07.2015 - 17:28
Asat0r

Written by Ace Frawley on 27.07.2015 at 12:30

Big fan of this. A lot of very good songs. Particularly dig the variety that comes from Chino Moreno guest vocalising on "Embers". Also really like the track "Overlord". Great mixture of aggression and melody throughout the album.

I completely agree, those two tracks really stood out to me. The album as a whole is great
27.07.2015 - 18:57
Rating: 5
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 27.07.2015 at 18:27

*Looks at fav bands* But Be'lakor and Insomnium have been pumping out the same shit for years too

Those two bands seem far more resourceful with their "shit" than Lamb of God. I don't care that much for the earlier albums of this band either, but some of the riffing is more interesting there than on this record.
27.07.2015 - 20:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

It RE-explores all the same musical ideas, pumping along at the same old tempo, with the same old barks from Blythe, with the same old bass drum diddles from C. Adler, with the same flicky fingered drop D guitar licks...

*Looks at fav bands* But Be'lakor and Insomnium have been pumping out the same shit for years too

He's obviously want to stand out of the crowd and be a sweetheart.

But, he forgets that what he says is what people liking about new LoG. Every line he is spitting against new LoG is the actually the real elements of new album.

Obvious troll.
27.07.2015 - 22:04
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
This is becoming an incredible year in Metal; definitely top3 Lamb Of God albums.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
28.07.2015 - 00:20
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Sweet talk box solo on "Erase This"
28.07.2015 - 05:02
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.07.2015 at 00:20

Sweet talk box solo on "Erase This"

Concur!
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.07.2015 - 13:04
Timmeh
Dudeman

So... you're implying that when a band decides they no longer wish to artistically evolve, that I should just forget their classic works and discount them as a favourite band. What a stupid thing to say.

Truth is I find Insomnium BORING now for a lot of the same reasons as I discussed. Belakor still have my attention, for now.

Honestly, if you people are so interested in my opinion how about asking a relevant question or finding an honest flaw in my argument because right now you're all coming off as intolerant fanboys.
28.07.2015 - 15:49
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Guest on 28.07.2015 at 15:15

I have no good reason to be here. I wasn't implying anything. I was just bored, waiting for my windows update to finish so I chose you out of a hat to rile up. Nothing personal. Randomly clicked on this page too. Never even listened to this band before. I be leaving this page at once. Cheerio friend.

Respect+
Well if you're at all interested in this band I'd say check out Ashes of the Wake, its a non-stop assault with many songs exploding right from the go with groovylicious, hard hitting riffs which sound unquestionably inspired (unlike here). Seriously the riffs are fucking juicy, the vocals are more memorable, Chris Adler slaughters the gaps in the grooves with his kicks and the production isn't all Roadrunner crystal. Prime, vintage Lamb of God Damn God.
28.07.2015 - 16:37
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Guest on 28.07.2015 at 16:05

Turns out I have listened to 4 of their albums. I'm baffled as to how I have zero recollection of doing so. Apparently I gave that album a 7 but that is now deleted. I'll give it another (i think) whirl soon as it's probably considered criminal to be a metal listener w/o having an opinion on Lamb of God's music.

Yeah I was pretty surprised when you said you hadn't heard them as you seem well ventured in metal (judging by your fav bands). I'm a sucker for rhythm heavy bands so I dig these guys a lot. I think they exhibit more than enough musicianship for you to garner a certain affinity for them given that you're into musically complex bands like SikTh, Igorrr, Pomegranate Tiger etc.

The only thing is though, they keep their grooves pretty 4/4 time signature - and they're rooted in thrash, that may not be your thang. There are many ways which you can change a rhythm - these guys seem to just love the flicky finger thing, which is cool but boring after so many albums. I just wish they'd borrow a bit from prog or tech death or jazz or something! Just to broaden their playing, seems like other people are contempt with same old coleslaw though.
30.07.2015 - 11:45
Rating: 7
_deepblack

Overlord and Torches and 512 have something other than that its pretty much the other albums and i think its not groovy as Sacrament
31.07.2015 - 22:55
Rating: 7
_deepblack

Written by deadone on 30.07.2015 at 14:52

Written by _deepblack on 30.07.2015 at 11:45

Overlord and Torches and 512 have something other than that its pretty much the other albums and i think its not groovy as Sacrament

Agreed on it not being as groovy as Sacrament. It channels some of the earlier stuff from As The Palaces Burn/Ashes of the Wake as well as large dollops of Resolution.

I'm really enjoying this album so far.

yeah they are creative in writing cool riffs and its like they look at the fretboard and go for it . Although i see Chris Adler as the heart of the band and the groove maker he is a pretty good drummer . anyway its good to listen to them time to time

Hits total: 16806 | This month: 46