06. Land Of The Rising Sun
07. Kill To Survive
08. Return Of The Outlaw
09. Immortal
10. Take Me Back
11. Fight Fight Fight
12. Until We Meet Again
13. Thundersteel [live] [bonus]

With the passing of Mark Reale in 2012, the band now known as Riot V lost their last original member. Surely a crushing blow to the band, and in a way the end of an era. Regardless, they carry on with Unleash The Fire, the newest addition to a discography spanning well over 30 years.

Before even listening to this album, the song titles concerned me. Obviously, an album can't be judged on those alone, but when you've got a good chunk of the metal-stereotype repertoire on display (we've got METAL, warriors, fire, fighting, riding hard and living free, hammers, fire and more here) hopes for an extraordinary work tend to go down.

However, another part of me can be okay with that stuff in the context of Riot V. Unleash The Fire is really just a good old-fashioned metal album by a good old-fashioned metal band (that has been around in some form since the 1970s). As such, at the same time that my ears are telling me I've heard this type of album before, my taste for metal like this done the right way is telling me I like it.

What does this album sound like? It's got a traditional sound structurally speaking, with the kind of satisfying melodic touches expected in old-school heavy metal riffs, soaring choruses, and spirited guitar solos. There are some deviations from the expected formula though, with an occasional thrash-like aggression and pinch harmonics like in "Fight Fight Fight". Unfortunately, the modern production can dull the edge of the sound at some point, but overall, it's a fun album to listen to.

It's hard to really make a final encompassing statement about Unleash The Fire. It's one of those albums that isn't particularly exciting to listen to as a whole, but has great moments and overall is formed around a solid enough foundation to avoid dipping into badness. I doubt this one will be blowing many minds, but for fans of the genre or band, it's worth a listen.

Written by Mattybu | 05.12.2014

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 38 users
16.05.2015 - 10:59
sam1oq

I only have this album because of the awesome artwork. You should've said something about it, I mean a dude with a seal on his head holding a metal axe with a cyborg arm with lightning all around him is just plain awesome.
30.05.2015 - 05:05
Mattybu

Written by sam1oq on 16.05.2015 at 10:59

I only have this album because of the awesome artwork. You should've said something about it, I mean a dude with a seal on his head holding a metal axe with a cyborg arm with lightning all around him is just plain awesome.

You're probably right. A lot of the old Riot covers are weird in an awesome way too, but this one is probably the most metal.

Hits total: 4356 | This month: 17