Metal Storm logo
KMFDM

26.02.2007 - 23:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Could've sworn there was a KMFDM thread...anyway, KMFDM is arguably one of the very first industrial metal bands along with Ministry...they have over 17 albums under their belt and pretty much put out an album every year in the 90s...KMFDM usually mix dance music compositions with riffing guitars and industrial samples along with Sasha K's rolecall-type vocals...they are a very politically driven band these days, intent on delivering lyrics that preach about tearing down the system and doing what you can do break down social and political systems...the members used to change all the time in a revolving door fashion but the line-up has been pretty stable for the last 5-6 years...

KMFDM "broke up" in 1999 but I'm convinced that it was just a joke...some members at that time went on to form MDFMK which put out some really good industrial music...Lucia Cifarelli, who now fronts KMFDM along with Sasha K, comes from that band's line-up...

KMFDM always puts out aan album full of catchy dance/industrial metal tunes every time and never dissapoint...
27.02.2007 - 00:21
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Ive always been a KMFDM fan, even though their stuff tends to be a bit repetitive in the grand scheme of things. They definitely deserve the credit for being one of the first 'real' industrial metal bands out there though... My favorite album is probably either Naive or Angst, although Nihil and Extort are also great. "Symbols" is a very underrated album also, and one of the few more experimental records they did. Their latest stuff is a little too repetitive for my tastes, as far as the typical guitar riff + dance beat + Sascha's acerbic vocals formula goes. The songs Lucia penned tend to be really awesome though and I definitely think she is one of the most talented women in rock music nowadays. I hear Sascha married her some time ago, the lucky bastard
27.02.2007 - 06:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I remember the last KMFDM thread not being too popular and it was basically you and I posting back and forth...

I don't think I ever opinionated my favorite album...the first album I ever listened to was Retro, the compilation, that my sister picked up years ago...I think it was 1998...since then I've been a legion of KMFDM...my favorite album very hard to choose because I like them all just as much...the last two releases, WWIII and Hau Ruck, have been some of their finest material...their live shows are just amazing...
02.03.2007 - 03:57
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
KMFDM is one of the more really enjoyable industrial bands, along with really early Skinny Puppy. I think Hau Rock was in the same style as WWIII, and just pushed Lucia to the forefront in more songs. Certainly both are very well made albums. It's really hard to pick favorites with a band like KMFDM with such an immense and consistent catalogue. The best to these ears are Symbols, being the most edgy and creative output. XTORT and Nihil are also amazing, and are constantly on my playlist. WWIII is pretty fun and catchy, and I've had a hard time getting into Naive being that I back tracked into their earlier stuff and found it really primitive, but it is a nice gem.

They have some of the best lyrics ever. Provocative, catchy, and sometimes just flat out funny. One of my all time favorite bands.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
02.03.2007 - 04:02
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Recently, most of their albums have been reissued and remastered. So far I only own Naive, but the liner notes contain some funny stories, and are quite informative. The new mix sounds very fresh, and adds a nice depth to their sound.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
02.03.2007 - 05:34
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Black Wizard: You are absolutely correct with the term 'primitive' for their earlier material...it's mostly just experimentations of sound with a synth drum beat to me...although they have some good songs here and there within that mess...I downloaded Opium awhile back but haven't listened to it yet...I guess I downloaded it to complete the discography lol...I mean, I bought all their other albums...it was a seven year search...(1998-2005)
02.03.2007 - 07:40
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
How do you feel about buying the same albums again as remastered?

Itchy Bitchy, Scratchy Snatchy!
----
- Orson Welles
02.03.2007 - 15:54
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3862
02.03.2007 - 21:05
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by jupitreas on 02.03.2007 at 15:54

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3862

That seems to be one of the few exceptions when it comes to bonus tracks. My copy of Naive has about 7 bonus tracks.

Now if only Ministry would start re-releasing their back catalogue....
----
- Orson Welles
02.03.2007 - 21:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I wouldn't mind buying the remastered albums...they're just coming out with them?
02.03.2007 - 22:39
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Yep, since last September I think. In a few days, XTORT, Money, and Nihil are coming out.
----
- Orson Welles
04.03.2007 - 17:07
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I own Symbols and Attack... I like the first a lot, but there's something wrong with Attack, for me sounds just like another easy listening dance/industrial without strength... good to play at parties but nothing to die for.
05.03.2007 - 21:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well, Attak is their first album back after being breaking up pretty much, so they're just trying to get it together...most people seem to like Attak though...I know I'm a fan...might not be my fav album by them, but it's still a great comeback album eh...something that I could never stand about KMFDM is how they mention themselves in their music all the time and how awesome they are haha...
05.03.2007 - 23:20
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
The reason why Attak sucks balls is simple - Tim Skold was still in the band at this point. God, I simply cant stand the guy with his whiny vocals... Good thing Marylin Manson adopted him.
06.03.2007 - 07:41
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by jupitreas on 05.03.2007 at 23:20

The reason why Attak sucks balls is simple - Tim Skold was still in the band at this point. God, I simply cant stand the guy with his whiny vocals... Good thing Marylin Manson adopted him.

I thought he sounded adequate for songs like "Anarchy", but for the most part he does sound gay. He fits nicely with Manson, at least in the promotional photos. Besides, Attak is lame, and actually sounds "techno".
----
- Orson Welles
07.03.2007 - 01:29
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@jupitreas: I personally have no problem with Skold's vocals myself...he voice in my opinion is very befitting of KMFDM...I think the slithering slippery way he delivers his vocals draws you into KMFDM songs quite well...his voice has a dry, emotionless touch that fits industrial music quite well...especially on a song like Full Worm Garden...his vocals are very believable on that track...
13.10.2007 - 01:55
Olli
I have their symbols album, didn't inspire me to buy another album. "Megalomaniac" is a very good song, but it's pretty much the only one i found good.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
13.10.2007 - 20:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Olli: That's not a good album to start out with for KMFDM anyway...neither is Adios...Adios was the first KMFDM album I listened to...you should get their more recent stuff...I would go with WWIII or Hau Ruck to start...also, a XTORT is another one I'd recommend...
14.10.2007 - 00:26
Olli
Written by Guest on 13.10.2007 at 20:09

@Olli: That's not a good album to start out with for KMFDM anyway...neither is Adios...Adios was the first KMFDM album I listened to...you should get their more recent stuff...I would go with WWIII or Hau Ruck to start...also, a XTORT is another one I'd recommend...

Ok thanks, I'll check out WWIII and see what I think
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
14.10.2007 - 07:19
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
They also just put out a killer album: Tohuvabohu might not be the perfect follow up to Hau Ruck but it's still a consistent album with memorable classic KMFDM tracks on it...
07.11.2007 - 01:15
My friend is a big KMFDM fan, but I just can't get into the industrial stuff. They're alright, but not my style.
----
oderint dum metuant
02.01.2008 - 19:57
Olli
I got WWIII and I reallly liked it actually. The intro is a cool idea. I'm listening to Symbols again too, Liking more songs on it the more I listen.
----
06.06.2008 - 01:55
Ragana
Rawrcat
ahh, KMFDM! not really bad, but I've heard too less from them.
21.06.2008 - 06:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Ragana: I would suggest their more metallic albums...like WWIII, Hau Ruck, XTORT, Nihil, Naive...
17.10.2009 - 12:16
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
I just saw KMFDM in San Francisco, on Thursday. They opened with "D.I.Y." and finished the 2nd encore with "Godlike". It was fucking amazing!!
----
Seize the weed of production!
17.10.2009 - 18:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Spenku: Those two songs I would kill to see live...they completely missed Montreal on this tour and it pisses me off...