07. To Hell And Back
08. In My Darkest Hour
09. Run With The Devil
10. Swan Song
11. Legend

Staff review by
Belegûr
Rating:
After 4 years of waiting since the release of Iconoclast, Symphony X return with Underworld, an album that may divide fans of the band depending on the expectations placed on this 9th studio effort.

Read more ››
published 13.07.2015 | Comments (38)

Guest review by
Boris_Pembroke
Rating:
Fantastic production and instrumental prowess make up for some cheesy song titles & lyrics.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2015 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
qlacs
Rating:
N/A
In medias res - I guess I'm just missing some neoclassical bits and the monumental compositions that grab me and drag me along from start to finish.

Read more ››
published 21.02.2018 | Comments (1)

Found in 43 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   Visited by: 1268 users
05.08.2015 - 16:20
Rating: 7
farfaramir
Written by Mr.Wilson on 05.08.2015 at 08:13

Written by farfaramir on 05.08.2015 at 03:39

Written by Mr.Wilson on 04.08.2015 at 02:02

People have to start letting the past where it belongs. SX will never make another V or The Odyssey, so you have 2 options: Accept the fact that they evolved their sound or listen the old albums.It really gets on my nerves when people constantly bitch about a band that changed their sound. For me would be pretty boring if Sx always played medieval themed music with neoclassic arrangements. this album is really strong, very groovy, it has the perfect balance between power and melody. The vocals are amazing, once again, Russel Allen shows that he can pretty much sing anything. The songwriting is straight forward, like some of you have mentioned, and, for me, it worked out great, a lot of catchy choruses and memorable guitar hooks.

Not the best SX album but still a great one. So if you still live in the past, just stay there.

It's a weird statement, since this album sounds exactly like the last two albums. Yeah, change is good, but this is the same "change" we've hearing since Paradise Lost.

(Keep in mind, Paradise Lost is from 8 years ago)

Well if you think this album sounds exactly like the previous ones, you didn't pay attention! and Btw, i said (read it again if you want) or implied, that they changed their sound after The Odyssey! and my statement illustrastes clearly that people should come to terms to the fact that they changed their sound over the years! Not weird at all...

So, it´s simple, if you like the direction the band took, good! if not you´re free to listen whatever you want...

The album is ok, so I don't have problem listening to it. But it does sounds similar to the last albums, is the exact same agressive heavy without neoclassical elements from before. Russel is being using the same voice for three albums in a row.

My point is: the argument of "something different" was ok for Paradise Lost. Now it's ok if you like this "new sound" (new sound from eight years ago), but don't try to say it's something new, cause it is not. Of course, there are some difference between this three albums (I still believe Symphony X is a good band), but again: the Paradise Lost sound is still there. It's not new.
05.08.2015 - 18:41
Mr.Wilson
Written by farfaramir on 05.08.2015 at 16:20

Written by Mr.Wilson on 05.08.2015 at 08:13

Written by farfaramir on 05.08.2015 at 03:39

Written by Mr.Wilson on 04.08.2015 at 02:02

People have to start letting the past where it belongs. SX will never make another V or The Odyssey, so you have 2 options: Accept the fact that they evolved their sound or listen the old albums.It really gets on my nerves when people constantly bitch about a band that changed their sound. For me would be pretty boring if Sx always played medieval themed music with neoclassic arrangements. this album is really strong, very groovy, it has the perfect balance between power and melody. The vocals are amazing, once again, Russel Allen shows that he can pretty much sing anything. The songwriting is straight forward, like some of you have mentioned, and, for me, it worked out great, a lot of catchy choruses and memorable guitar hooks.

Not the best SX album but still a great one. So if you still live in the past, just stay there.

It's a weird statement, since this album sounds exactly like the last two albums. Yeah, change is good, but this is the same "change" we've hearing since Paradise Lost.

(Keep in mind, Paradise Lost is from 8 years ago)

Well if you think this album sounds exactly like the previous ones, you didn't pay attention! and Btw, i said (read it again if you want) or implied, that they changed their sound after The Odyssey! and my statement illustrastes clearly that people should come to terms to the fact that they changed their sound over the years! Not weird at all...

So, it´s simple, if you like the direction the band took, good! if not you´re free to listen whatever you want...

The album is ok, so I don't have problem listening to it. But it does sounds similar to the last albums, is the exact same agressive heavy without neoclassical elements from before. Russel is being using the same voice for three albums in a row.

My point is: the argument of "something different" was ok for Paradise Lost. Now it's ok if you like this "new sound" (new sound from eight years ago), but don't try to say it's something new, cause it is not. Of course, there are some difference between this three albums (I still believe Symphony X is a good band), but again: the Paradise Lost sound is still there. It's not new.

Man you simply don't get it! am i "speaking" mandarin? I never said it was something new! i SAID they changed their sound after the Odyssey and probably will never play like the old days! for me isn´t a bad thing but for you is, and that's ok! and Russel Allen is more versatile is this album, with a lot of cleans, high notes and low ones too. Music was made to enjoy not over analyze it! they didn't reinvent the wheel with this one but still made a strong album! that is my point! i hope i made myself clear this time...
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
07.08.2015 - 02:08
Luneth
Account deleted
Nah this is weak. I've listened to it over a thousand times and it isn't getting any better. Not one prog element was found. Well, hardly any. Their worst album to date for me.
07.08.2015 - 20:59
Rating: 9
mariano
Written by Sword_Chant on 05.08.2015 at 14:10

Yes it's an impressive album (especially the first half of the album) but it's not the best in their discography, it's a little overrated if you ask me, i've heard better albums from this year.

Can you give an example?
08.08.2015 - 19:55
Rating: 7
Warman
Erotic Stains
It's a good album but I believe that Symphony X can do so much more. To me there's no effort with this album, songs that these guys could compose while they sleep. The only long song, "To Hell and Back", is just simple, repetetive and boring. Overall a good album, but I expected much more. Way to safe effort. "Legend" is pretty fucking awesome though.
----
09.08.2015 - 18:19
Nicko's Nose
Excellent album. Love every song except Charon, which is just good.
10.08.2015 - 14:26
Rating: 8
Sword_Chant
Written by mariano on 07.08.2015 at 20:59

Yes it's an impressive album (especially the first half of the album) but it's not the best in their discography, it's a little overrated if you ask me, i've heard better albums from this year.

Can you give an example?

Well Moonspell, Cain's Offering, Leprous and Enslaved are all featured in the top 20 of this year and I thought they were miles better (as follow up albums) but that's just my opinion. Not saying this is a bad album, as far as modern metal goes this is a solid release, but I don't feel this doesn't quite hold up to the same level as their previous albums, eg. The Odyssey and Divine Wings, in terms of musical potential and creativity.
10.08.2015 - 17:58
mariano
Written by Sword_Chant on 10.08.2015 at 14:26

Can you give an example?

Well Moonspell, Cain's Offering, Leprous and Enslaved are all featured in the top 20 of this year and I thought they were miles better (as follow up albums) but that's just my opinion. Not saying this is a bad album, as far as modern metal goes this is a solid release, but I don't feel this doesn't quite hold up to the same level as their previous albums, eg. The Odyssey and Divine Wings, in terms of musical potential and creativity.

Stormcrow was a good album, but I wouldn't say it's better than Underworld. I'll have to check the others though
10.08.2015 - 20:47
Korah
Good album but nothing amazing. I really enjoyed albums like The Odyssey or The Divine Wings of Tragedy which were impressives at the first listen, but this one gives me nothing. There are good riffs, solos and everything however I think Underworld is for the huge fan of Symphony X who will never get enough from this band
----
Don't cry for my English
11.08.2015 - 16:21
Sword_Chant
Written by mariano on 10.08.2015 at 17:58

Written by Sword_Chant on 10.08.2015 at 14:26

Can you give an example?

Stormcrow was a good album, but I wouldn't say it's better than Underworld. I'll have to check the others though

I generally get on better with Cain's Offering too since i'm a huge power metal fan, the new Moonspell release is awesome though.
11.08.2015 - 21:44
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
They did again, not matter if it is progressive or not (the album less progressive from them) but this is a real masterpiece again! At the first listening, the thing i found strange to my ears was that soft voice's sound in the chorus, but just was that, the first listening. The ballads Without You and Swan Song are at the level of Accolade II or even Accolade =), when a metal band know how to do good ballads at this level that means something (they are really good), in my opinion one of the things most difficult to do in music. My favorite songs are Kiss Of Fire ( "trallazo" of heavy metal, maybe the song most hardest from them), In My Darkest Hour, and the album ends with the fabulous Legend, remembering me in the way how ends the album Odyssey with the last part Champion Of Ithaca.

This album is pure emotion.
Symphony X is pure feeling.
12.08.2015 - 16:36
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
This is their most boring and embarrassingly bad album yet. Only fanboys and double acounts can possibly be the reason for this high a rating....
12.08.2015 - 20:41
Nicko's Nose
Written by Guest on 12.08.2015 at 16:36

This is their most boring and embarrassingly bad album yet. Only fanboys and double acounts can possibly be the reason for this high a rating....

10 for Paradise Lost and 1 for this? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
12.08.2015 - 22:14
slim pickings
Account deleted
I enjoyed the album and I am no fanboy
20.08.2015 - 12:35
Stunning Cactus

Nice vote abuse, bud. *pats back*
01.09.2015 - 07:20
mp5maker
Solid Album !
03.09.2015 - 00:02
majstora
The TOP of the Progressive!
What can I say more?
08.09.2015 - 03:32
iMorphball

Dude, save the 1 point rating for real shit like Lulu.
11.09.2015 - 20:07
Nicko's Nose
I'm pretty sure most of the people who gave it a 1 didn't even listen to it. They probably just don't want it to be higher in the top 20 than their favorite albums of the year.
13.09.2015 - 18:06
3rdWorld
China was a neat

It is light years away from being boring and what do you find bad here?

I'm not a fanboy and frankly even their last album was very average to me but this is easily leaps and bounds better than their last outing. It is quite catchy and the melodies and singing are quite well done. It has this amazing flow in the songs which was lacking in their last record. And I keep coming back and listening to it many time as it is just fucking awesome.
19.09.2015 - 20:54
lord artan
This is masterpiece...omfg
15.10.2015 - 17:19
musclassia
Staff
Big step up from Iconoclast - I'm glad they got rid of the overly macho aggressive tone of the album and brought back some of the fun and soul to this one. Not many songs stand out, but I really enjoy Legend and To Hell And Back
13.11.2015 - 21:22
This one floored me on the first listen and it just keeps getting better. Was worried for a moment that they were headed downhill after Iconoclast (which wasn't bad by any means, but just not that exciting I think). Paradise Lost was my previous favourite, but I think I like this one even better!
14.11.2015 - 23:43
Nicko's Nose
It's sad when idiots give genuinely good albums that they haven't listened to 1/10 just so that their favorite albums of the years have higher ratings.
29.12.2015 - 21:48
Coolingsrock
If u liked Paradise lost album then check this one out!!
06.01.2016 - 20:55
Tsh3po
Best album of 2015
08.01.2016 - 23:23
Could never really get into Symphony X but really enjoyed this, favourite album by them as a result
25.08.2016 - 05:30
Wes
Alright, by far my favorite album from them since The Odyssey.

I simply could not STAND Russ's vocals in the next albums. This is such a treat, thank you and amazing work to the band! Every musician stands out this time, and Russ, you sound absolutely amazing!
03.09.2016 - 19:34
Dreiroth
I honestly fail finding a bad track in this album. It's a masterpiece and competes with their best previous albums.
25.09.2016 - 13:57
Erudon
Better than i expected!!

Hits total: 25131 | This month: 55