11. You Against You
12. Pride In Prejudice

Disc II [deluxe bonus]
01. Live At Wacken 2014
02. Making Of 'Repentless' [documentary]

Featured in "Getting Into: Slayer"

Additional info
The Metal Eagle will include the following exclusive items:
  • Deluxe digipak (folds out into "inverted cross").
  • Bonus blu-ray and DVD including " Slayer live at Wacken 2014" and "Making of Repentless documentary".
  • Bonus live CD " Slayer live at Wacken 2014".
  • Fold-out poster.
  • Album sticker.
  • Numbered certificate.

• Guest review by
    nikarg
    Rating:
    Approximately four years ago, just two months after Jeff Hanneman's passing, on the 1st of July 2013, I went to watch Slayer play at a festival that also included appearances from Kvelertak, Rotting Christ, Napalm Death and Down. The thrash legends were the last band to play and halfway through their set, Phil Anselmo showed up on stage. It was his birthday (as well as mine), so they played "Happy Birthday" for him (and for me, haha). Then, being under the influence of something, Phil gave an incoherent speech full of tears and drama that concluded with the words: " Slayer don't need me, I need fucking Slayer". Now, two questions come to mind: a) do we actually need "fucking Slayer" today? and b) is there life after Jeff?

Read more ››
    published 06.05.2017 | Comments (9)

Found in 32 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 69   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1230 users
    16.09.2015 - 20:32
    Rating: 4
    SlapTap

Sorry, no way I can get on board with this. "You Against You" is anti Lombardo, one of the finest extreme metal drummers ever, and "Chasing Death" reads like a jab at Jeff Hanneman, which I will not accept. There is nothing memorable to be had here, and I've gone out of my way to listen to it many times so I can have an honest opinion on the decline of one of my favorite bands. Kerry King has been the downfall of this band for the last 15 or so years, between his songwriting and juvenile lyrics. A band that once had mystique and a clever darkness to them is now reduced to tough guy rantings and teenager vs. religion lyrics with the word "fuck" around every corner. The only bright spots in the band's last 15 years were the meager songwriting contributions of Jeff Hanneman (of which there were still many clunkers) and the still-getting-better-after-all-these-years performances of Dave Lombardo. RIP Slayer. Let Gary Holt write the next album and let him do all the solos. Nevermind, I'll just go listen to Exodus.
    17.09.2015 - 02:24
    Rating: 8
    Timelord

Why is it so fucking hard for people to grasp simple logic. The landscape of music today bares nearly no resemblance to when a band like Slayer were brand new and caused a shitstorm of Satanic Panic. Those days are GONE! There is nothing shocking anymore. It's all been done to the most extreme and then some. So no shit things sound "boring and generic" . We have all become desensitized to the point that we pretty much stick with the music that first got the adrenaline going in the first place. This album released in '88 would have been a huge punch in the face. I personally am a bit surprised that I like Repentless as I thought WPB and Christ Illusion were a letdown. They are what they are and expecting some new direction at this point in their career is just stupid.
    17.09.2015 - 06:28
    SlapTap

It doesn't have to sound radically different or even be shocking. It needs to have well written, memorable songs with thought provoking or fun lyrics. Plenty of other thrash bands of the modern and old scenes have new millenium records with these qualities. This has none of those qualities, and is an insult to fans who seem too careless to be offended. This would be like if Zeppelin put out a record without Jimmy Page or Pantera put out a record without Dime while simultaneously minimizing the importance of that former member. Kerry King called Jeff Hanneman WORM FOOD. This band is Kerry King Inc and bears little resemblance to the band called Slayer.
    17.09.2015 - 09:46
    Rating: 6
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Written by SlapTap on 16.09.2015 at 20:32

Sorry, no way I can get on board with this. "You Against You" is anti Lombardo, one of the finest extreme metal drummers ever

I think that drumming is one of the few good things about Repentless

"Chasing Death" reads like a jab at Jeff Hanneman, which I will not accept.

Hanneman did blow up his own liver by drinking. His death is the result of his stupidity. Kerry King is right to be angry at his former colleague. I agree with him.
    17.09.2015 - 13:05
    SlapTap

Written by Daniell on 17.09.2015 at 09:46

Sorry, no way I can get on board with this. "You Against You" is anti Lombardo, one of the finest extreme metal drummers ever

I think that drumming is one of the few good things about Repentless

"Chasing Death" reads like a jab at Jeff Hanneman, which I will not accept.

Hanneman did blow up his own liver by drinking. His death is the result of his stupidity. Kerry King is right to be angry at his former colleague. I agree with him.

We could debate addiction being a sickness/disease vs. personal weakness all day long and probably get nowhere. The bottom line is the man has written some of the best songs in metal history (Angel of Death, Raining Blood, War Ensemble, numerous others) and without him Slayer wouldn't be half the band they are today. So show some goddamn respect. I don't see people going around shaming Bon Scott because he asphyxiated on his own vomit or shaming Phil Lynott for dying of complications related to heroin overdose.

Also, I don't dislike the drums on Repentless, nor do I dislike Paul Bostaph. I've had the honor of shaking the man's hand and sharing a conversation with him, he's a wonderful guy and a fantastis thrash drummer. But let's be honest, Dave Lombardo is a master and one of the finest metal drummers of all time. Again, it's a matter of respect, of which which Kerry seems to have very little, even for those who helped make his own band what they are today.
    17.09.2015 - 13:32
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Written by SlapTap on 17.09.2015 at 13:05

We could debate addiction being a sickness/disease vs. personal weakness all day long and probably get nowhere. The bottom line is the man has written some of the best songs in metal history (Angel of Death, Raining Blood, War Ensemble, numerous others) and without him Slayer wouldn't be half the band they are today. So show some goddamn respect. I don't see people going around shaming Bon Scott because he asphyxiated on his own vomit or shaming Phil Lynott for dying of complications related to heroin overdose.

No matter how many great songs he wrote, the stupidity of his death warrants no respect. I respect his contribution to the world of music. Slayer's been my favourite band since 1988. But it doesn't make the way he died any less stupid.
    17.09.2015 - 13:47
    SlapTap

We have all got our vices, it's just unfortunate that some are deadlier than others. Maybe Kerry doesn't grasp the irony of cherrypicking part of the phrase "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
    17.09.2015 - 14:09
    SlapTap

Moot point, but his liver toxicity wasn't just the result of his alcohol abuse, but chronic acetaminophen use to treat hangovers, a thing sadly seen far too often. I wish more folks were aware of this, the best treatment for hangovers is water, plain and simple!
    17.09.2015 - 19:10
    Zap
    I heard honey works pretty well.
    17.09.2015 - 21:26
    D.T. Metal

Written by Timelord on 17.09.2015 at 02:24

Why is it so fucking hard for people to grasp simple logic. The landscape of music today bares nearly no resemblance to when a band like Slayer were brand new and caused a shitstorm of Satanic Panic. Those days are GONE! There is nothing shocking anymore. It's all been done to the most extreme and then some. So no shit things sound "boring and generic" . We have all become desensitized to the point that we pretty much stick with the music that first got the adrenaline going in the first place. This album released in '88 would have been a huge punch in the face. I personally am a bit surprised that I like Repentless as I thought WPB and Christ Illusion were a letdown. They are what they are and expecting some new direction at this point in their career is just stupid.

THIS ^^^

People compare new albums by bands which were influential to any scene like it's still the 70's, 80's or 90's. Like you said - those days are GONE!
    17.09.2015 - 21:29
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    ^ Sounds like a bunch of apologist's ideological wank to me. Plenty of bands remain interesting, visceral, energetic, clever, creative and so on. From what I heard of this album it's garbage by ANY standard of music, not just Slayer's past. I don't think anyone is expecting something shocking from them. Just something worth listening to. I don't listen to Reign In Blood because it's shocking; I listen to it because it sounds good. Slayer don't get a free pass for sounding shit just because they're out of their era and anyone that thinks otherwise needs a reality check.
    17.09.2015 - 22:32
    SlapTap

Written by Guest on 17.09.2015 at 21:29

^ Sounds like a bunch of apologist's idealogical wank to me. Plenty of bands remain interesting, visceral, energetic, clever, creative and so on. From what I heard of this album it's garbage by ANY standard of music, not just Slayer's past. I don't think anyone is expecting something shocking from them. Just something worth listening to. I don't listen to Reign In Blood because it's shocking; I listen to it because it sounds good. Slayer don't get a free pass for sounding shit just because they're out of their era and anyone that thinks otherwise needs a reality check.

Thank you, exactly the point I was trying to make. Agree 100%
    18.09.2015 - 00:31
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Written by SlapTap on 17.09.2015 at 22:32

Thank you, exactly the point I was trying to make. Agree 100%

These old bands really seem to mess with people's perceptions and expectations.
    18.09.2015 - 02:31
    D.T. Metal

Written by Guest on 17.09.2015 at 21:29

From what I heard of this album it's garbage by ANY standard of music, not just Slayer's past. I don't think anyone is expecting something shocking from them. Just something worth listening to. I don't listen to Reign In Blood because it's shocking; I listen to it because it sounds good. Slayer don't get a free pass for sounding shit just because they're out of their era and anyone that thinks otherwise needs a reality check.

agree - I don't care for the album much neither, but I won't compare it to any album of their heydays neither. I don't give a free pass but I do agree with that this is Slayer anno 2015 and one has to take this into account when judging the album.
    18.09.2015 - 02:35
    D.T. Metal

Written by deadone on 18.09.2015 at 02:22

Written by D.T. Metal on 17.09.2015 at 21:26

THIS ^^^

People compare new albums by bands which were influential to any scene like it's still the 70's, 80's or 90's. Like you said - those days are GONE!

So what should we compare it too? How should we judge our enjoyment of it? Is it a case of "it's great cause it's Slayer?" By that definition every album they've released is brilliant.

And we should be able to compare it to their old back catalogue.

Other bands have managed to recreate that old glory or even surpass it in recent times (e.g. Accept, Death Angel, Testament, Overkill, Raven, Onslaught, Kreator, Anthrax, Autopsy, Entombed, Satan, Hell, Vital Remains, Deicide etc etc).

So why give Slayer a blank cheque simply cause they're Slayer?

I don't give Slayer a blank check - am not even a Slayer fan to be honest

And why do we need to compare it to their earlier work? Why can't we just judge it on it's own merit? good, bad or indifferent.
    18.09.2015 - 02:42
    D.T. Metal

Written by deadone on 18.09.2015 at 02:36

Written by D.T. Metal on 18.09.2015 at 02:31

I do agree with that this is Slayer anno 2015 and one has to take this into account when judging the album.

IMO a band shouldn't get any handicaps/get out of gaol free cards for being "old."

you misunderstood my anno remark. has nothing to do with the age of Slayer, but the year 2015. Regardless - most people will like the album because it's fucking Slayer and the rest will not like it because it's not Slayer without Jeff.
    18.09.2015 - 02:55
    D.T. Metal

Written by deadone on 18.09.2015 at 02:46

Or we won't like it cause it's not got much in the way of memorable song writing, there's not many cool riffs or grooves or hooks, it sounds forced and uninspired and it sounds like 3rd rate filler.

like i said - it's without Jeff
    18.09.2015 - 04:05
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Written by deadone on 18.09.2015 at 02:24

And as fan of old shit, I don't get it. I've never understood mindless fanaticism.

Yeah, in fact I feel like I'm the opposite sometimes. If a band I love makes something not worthy I often feel like I'm the most vocal about its shiteness. I want them to be as good as I know they can be. Not settle for something less.

Quote:
    And why do we need to compare it to their earlier work? Why can't we just judge it on it's own merit? good, bad or indifferent.

The thing is there's really no such thing is "its own merit." Everything has to have a context, and it really depends on what context you decide to judge in it. I prefer to leave legends aside and approach something from a broad perspective involving the scene and sound in general, with nods to its historical quality.
    19.09.2015 - 03:27
    Guib
    Thrash Talker
    Well that sucks... Disappointed by both Slayer and Annihilator this year. Thanks a lot -_-
    ----
    - Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
    Guib's List Of Essential Albums
    - Also Thrash Paradise
    Thrash Here
    19.09.2015 - 06:42
    Rating: 7
    Cynic Metalhead
    Paisa Vich Nasha
    Written by Guib on 19.09.2015 at 03:27

Well that sucks... Disappointed by both Slayer and Annihilator this year. Thanks a lot -_-

I'm really liking new vibes of Slayer. But, still a letdown record when it comes in totality. You see there're some songs that feels it kicks in quite hard and carries the momentum. That is the thing I'm liking about the new Slayer. Individual songs does have some class which makes me think this isn't bad recording done by Slayer.
    20.09.2015 - 18:56
    Sean 79

Good but not great. Does is matter?! No cause its fucking SLAAAAAAYER!!!
    21.09.2015 - 02:46
    Guib
    Thrash Talker
    Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.09.2015 at 06:42

Written by Guib on 19.09.2015 at 03:27

I'm really liking new vibes of Slayer. But, still a letdown record when it comes in totality. You see there're some songs that feels it kicks in quite hard and carries the momentum. That is the thing I'm liking about the new Slayer. Individual songs does have some class which makes me think this isn't bad recording done by Slayer.

Oh I'm not saying it's a bad ''recording'' it's just uninspiring. It doesn't make me wanna go back to it. In all honesty all it really does to me is making me wanna listen to some oldschool Slayer instead. XD
    ----
    - Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
    Guib's List Of Essential Albums
    - Also Thrash Paradise
    Thrash Here
    24.09.2015 - 09:59
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Slayer's idea of promoting a new album after 6 years, and with a half of the original setup gone: set a controversial release date, release a promo clip that's disgustingly violent and bloody. And all that to cover the fact that the album is barely adequate...
    At least the title track is one of the few that are actually good.
    29.09.2015 - 09:43
    Rating: 7
    Athropos
    Burning inside
    Not bad, not good.
    05.10.2015 - 20:08
    ian b

Love it,best album for ages.cant wait to see them live again
    06.10.2015 - 01:06
    Korah

1986 | 9 Reign In Blood
    1988 | 8.7 South Of Heaven
    1990 | 8.9 Seasons In The Abyss
    1994 | 7.4 Divine Intervention
    1996 | 6.4 Undisputed Attitude
    1998 | 6.8 Diabolus In Musica
    2001 | 7.6 God Hates Us All
    2006 | 7.7 Christ Illusion
    2009 | 7.7 World Painted Blood
    2015 | 7.4 Repentless

Slayer and the waterfall of decay...
    ----
    Don't cry for my English
    08.10.2015 - 01:12
    Rating: 8
    Timelord

With album sales a thing of the past. Bands are looking for two or three good songs maybe one being great so they can throw it into the live set and hit the summer festivals. I think mission accomplished with Repentless. Bands just don't tour all that much anymore due to record companies not wanting to put out the money it takes when they know it is a good chance they will end up in the red. There are just not enough places for bands that are footing their own bill to play anymore(referring to the US as it may be different abroad) Its all campsites and sailboats now. I miss the old musky clubs where 300 people jammed in there to see a death or thrash metal band every week. It costs a good penny to rent out a House of Blues type venue. I have seen Slayer 4 times in a HoB's and it is so much better than having to watch some bigass screens because the band is not visible due to the curvature of the earth. Now your lucky if you can even go to a festival without having to take out a Montel Williams money mutual loan and if in the US its Hair Metal shit out in a field in Oklahoma.
    08.10.2015 - 13:24
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by Timelord on 08.10.2015 at 01:12

With album sales a thing of the past. Bands are looking for two or three good songs maybe one being great so they can throw it into the live set and hit the summer festivals. I think mission accomplished with Repentless. Bands just don't tour all that much anymore due to record companies not wanting to put out the money it takes when they know it is a good chance they will end up in the red. There are just not enough places for bands that are footing their own bill to play anymore(referring to the US as it may be different abroad) Its all campsites and sailboats now. I miss the old musky clubs where 300 people jammed in there to see a death or thrash metal band every week. It costs a good penny to rent out a House of Blues type venue. I have seen Slayer 4 times in a HoB's and it is so much better than having to watch some bigass screens because the band is not visible due to the curvature of the earth. Now your lucky if you can even go to a festival without having to take out a Montel Williams money mutual loan and if in the US its Hair Metal shit out in a field in Oklahoma.

Machine Head went away from playing festivals this touring cycle and have been playing smaller venues on their own.
    ----
    The sun shines over The Fool...
    08.10.2015 - 16:24
    jarfxxx

With this albums we can see clearly that Hanneman always was THE MAN!
    His work add some complexity and beauty in the madness of Slayer songs!
    We miss you,JEFF!
    08.10.2015 - 18:10
    Nucky

Good album..

Hits total: 22655 | This month: 27