Metal Storm logo
Mägo De Oz

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 21.05.2006 - 21:36
Mägo De Oz is definitely my favourite Folk Metal band : their music is catchy, heavy, with great folk touches thx to Mohamed's violin, Fernando's flute and Kiskilla's keyboards. But it doesn't harm their metal image (even if some metalheads thought that Gaia was pop, which I strongly disagree with!). Their latest release, Gaia II (La Voz Dormida) is probably the best folk release of last year IMO, with prog and power influences.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to love them... To other Mägo De Oz fans, don't be shy and share your opinion here about their style (which had been debated in the old forum), their albums, songs, or whatever related to them
07.02.2009 - 00:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Damn, think i am in love...

it is soo beautiful and so lyrical music, that even my evil black metal heart melted down

just dont understand why this band is so low rated by "metalheads"...:thumbdown:
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.02.2009 - 00:23
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Ellrohir on 07.02.2009 at 00:06

Damn, think i am in love...

it is soo beautiful and so lyrical music, that even my evil black metal heart melted down

just dont understand why this band is so low rated by "metalheads"...:thumbdown:

Yeah, they are way better than many overhyped folk bands.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.02.2009 - 01:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think the biggest "problem" is, they are at least 3/4 "folk" and only about 1/4 "metal"...so well, Finntroll's fans cannot be satisfied
----

09.02.2009 - 17:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ellrohir on 07.02.2009 at 01:48

I think the biggest "problem" is, they are at least 3/4 "folk" and only about 1/4 "metal"...so well, Finntroll's fans cannot be satisfied

I agree on that one. I'm not a fan, but I do enjoy their music quite a lot when I play it. And it's even better when you understand everything you're singing.

But yeah.. more folk than metal though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.02.2009 - 17:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But i dont feel they are "trying to pretend they are metal"...they are simply doing their best in their style...also i am just getting sick of reviews "another same piece of folk music"...damn when it is once good, why to "evolve" and do something "better"?
----

09.02.2009 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ellrohir on 09.02.2009 at 17:36

But i dont feel they are "trying to pretend they are metal"...they are simply doing their best in their style...also i am just getting sick of reviews "another same piece of folk music"...damn when it is once good, why to "evolve" and do something "better"?

I don't care of the genre as far as it sounds good. And they do sound quite original imo.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.02.2009 - 22:51
VPeter

One of the worst Folk metal bands out there, they are the equivalent of Heino turned into metal. Spanish is also one of the worst languages to sing in. It really is mind numbing to listen to, just as bad as Trollfest.
17.02.2009 - 12:39
GT
Coffee!!
Then don't. I find Spanish to be a beatiful language and really like a lot of Mägo's songs but also dislike quite a few.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.02.2009 - 13:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by VPeter on 13.02.2009 at 22:51

One of the worst Folk metal bands out there, they are the equivalent of Heino turned into metal. Spanish is also one of the worst languages to sing in. It really is mind numbing to listen to, just as bad as Trollfest.

respecting your opinion, but thumbdown for it

while i just finished listening to La Voz Dormida...
----

17.02.2009 - 15:24
Elio
Red Nightmare

Trollfest, they made the wrost 2009 album.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.02.2009 - 19:24
LostSoul

Mägo de Oz I love them!! maybe not somehow "normal metal" but I like them anyways, and I like spanish too^^ when I'm bored and got nothing to do I just put on Mägo de Oz - Fiesta Pagana, I love that song makes me laugh
----
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn... we fucked up"
18.02.2009 - 23:06
DeeDee

Hey, need some help. i can't remember the title of one on Maga de oz's song. it's a balad about a woman alone in a tower/castle.... ring any bell?
19.02.2009 - 01:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Spanish is also one of the worst languages to sing in. It really is mind numbing to listen to, just as bad as Trollfest.

Hey yo, do you want a fight with my people, amigo?
Just kidding

O well... I have to second your opinion.
I'm proud of having spanish as my mother tongue, but like you said... it quite sucks when it comes to metal.
I preffer it just with normal folk music.

I like Mago de Oz though, not my favorite band, but nice whn I feel like listening to them.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.02.2009 - 14:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by LostSoul on 18.02.2009 at 19:24
Mägo de Oz - Fiesta Pagana

thanks you for the tip, man
----

19.02.2009 - 17:15
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Ellrohir on 19.02.2009 at 14:25

Written by LostSoul on 18.02.2009 at 19:24
Mägo de Oz - Fiesta Pagana

thanks you for the tip, man

Didn't you know that song? It's damn awesome!
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
19.02.2009 - 18:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
No, man...i dont own "Finisterra" or any other live cd/dvd, where this track is included...but now i tried youtube
----

17.03.2009 - 00:20
ASiema113

Listened to Finisterra which I thought was pretty good, I heard about them through my friend who happens to be an account as well as a metalhead . Satania has to be one of the better folk metal songs i've heard in a while.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
05.06.2009 - 17:16
Deadsoulman

Must be the first time I agree with you. I don't mind the use of Spanish in Mägo de Oz, but I have yet to find something I like in this band. They have to be one of the most boring folk bands around. I'd rather be forced to listen to Alestorm all day long than to this... thing.
05.06.2009 - 17:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

I am getting scared now, cause I agree with you 100% here. Goddamit, make note to self, never ever agree with Peter on folk metal (except when it comes to Alestorm and Skyclad)

Like Collin said, I'd also rather sit and be forced to listen to Alestorm all day long than this annoying band.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.06.2009 - 17:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.06.2009 at 17:28

Like Collin said, I'd also rather sit and be forced to listen to Alestorm all day long than this annoying band.

Mmmmm I disagree. Mago De Oz was a quite old band for me. And I listened back when I was 7-10 so it's understandable why I like them a little since I have some personal connection with the music and lyrics [I don't give a flying fuck about the language]. But yeah, they are really bad, specially nowdays. The first stuff was kinda good.

But C'mon.... Alestorm is the fucking monolith of pure fucking bad folk metal. It's impossible to b worse than that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.06.2009 - 18:19
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
This band is easily in my top 5 worst bands list . And Alestorm is 100 times better than Mägo De Oz even if they are pretty bad
06.06.2009 - 03:29
AbdelioR

Wow, Mago de Oz are from my country, and I didn't expect them to be so popular out here. In Spain they are popular but I thought (and I still think) international folk were much better. I think they have nothing to do againts fintroll, eluveitie, finterforst or similar. True that what they do, as you say, is not metal at all...
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
06.06.2009 - 08:14
the stranger

It has always been a band that a lot of people hate and a lot love. I haven't heard anything they've released since the Folktergeist. All their studio albums sound really bad, but when it comes to play live I think this is an incredible band, few can play live as good as they do. You can even sing their crappy lyrics if it is live.
06.06.2009 - 10:47
GT
Coffee!!
I still really enjoy their music. Sure they've made some real crap, but mostly the music is IMO really good and cheers me up.I'm really looking forward to see them live at Wacken this summer.
----

06.06.2009 - 10:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by GT on 06.06.2009 at 10:47

I still really enjoy their music. Sure they've made some real crap, but mostly the music is IMO really good and cheers me up.I'm really looking forward to see them live at Wacken this summer.

yeah me too, i hope they play one of the Rainbow covers so i can sing along to the Rainbow version

it's the closest i'll ever get to seeing Rainbow live
06.06.2009 - 18:49
the stranger

Written by Valentin B on 06.06.2009 at 10:51

yeah me too, i hope they play one of the Rainbow covers so i can sing along to the Rainbow version

I hope they will do a south american tour. The last time they did they played everywhere except here. One of the concerts I would never miss.
09.06.2009 - 04:41
Zuzuz0r

I used to like them many years ago, when I started to listen to Metal, but I got bored within time, they are good musicians, but I think I'm not interested anymore in this band. One thing I respect is that they have become very popular(at least here) with very little use of mainstream promotion. Still, I could never stand the singer.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
17.07.2009 - 01:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have now new most favorite song - Hazme Un Sitio En Tu Piel
----

26.07.2009 - 10:25
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Valentin B on 06.06.2009 at 10:51

To bad they had to cancel. I was really looking forward to that show
----