Metal Storm logo
Mägo De Oz

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 21.05.2006 - 21:36
Mägo De Oz is definitely my favourite Folk Metal band : their music is catchy, heavy, with great folk touches thx to Mohamed's violin, Fernando's flute and Kiskilla's keyboards. But it doesn't harm their metal image (even if some metalheads thought that Gaia was pop, which I strongly disagree with!). Their latest release, Gaia II (La Voz Dormida) is probably the best folk release of last year IMO, with prog and power influences.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to love them... To other Mägo De Oz fans, don't be shy and share your opinion here about their style (which had been debated in the old forum), their albums, songs, or whatever related to them
11.10.2006 - 02:25
?Bodomchild?

Quote:
I agree whit you, Comercial bands play radio and shwo in TV but I hawnt hear them in TV and Radio, dunno how in latinamerica

Yeah they show videos on TV and songs on radio, in my country and in Colombia cuz i was last year and this yeari fly on the same fligth to Bogota and i saw them in Bogota and the next week here in Caracas ....so they are more recognized on Mexico, Colombia and Chile cuz iun other gigs they play on that countries but in this year the create a Mägomania
in Venezuela and i think in other countries like Guatemala and Honduras i think they play there on this last tour, and a lot of people like them even people ho don't like metal but they like them......and i don't understand why people say they are pop ?
----
asd
11.10.2006 - 04:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by ?Bodomchild? on 11.10.2006 at 02:25

I agree whit you, Comercial bands play radio and shwo in TV but I hawnt hear them in TV and Radio, dunno how in latinamerica

Yeah they show videos on TV and songs on radio, in my country and in Colombia cuz i was last year and this yeari fly on the same fligth to Bogota and i saw them in Bogota and the next week here in Caracas ....so they are more recognized on Mexico, Colombia and Chile cuz iun other gigs they play on that countries but in this year the create a Mägomania
in Venezuela and i think in other countries like Guatemala and Honduras i think they play there on this last tour, and a lot of people like them even people ho don't like metal but they like them......and i don't understand why people say they are pop ?

Hmm why pop, maybe because of spanish muisc and spanish fol elements and thay use traditional spanish guitar and if spanish music are pop that im emperor of 1000 suns
For me its folk/celtic/black metal not pop
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2006 - 01:54
Bitch Boy

@ K7: folk/celtic/black metal?? Folk, yes. Celtic, maybe. Black?? Absolutely not. It's almost like saying that Mägo is pop.
12.10.2006 - 02:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bitch Boy on 12.10.2006 at 01:54

@ K7: folk/celtic/black metal?? Folk, yes. Celtic, maybe. Black?? Absolutely not. It's almost like saying that Mägo is pop.

But Black I mean blackish, blackened if you understand me, its like I dunno how explain but not black how Immortal its ok its celtic/folk
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2006 - 15:36
Judas
The Amputator
Yeah there's nothing Black there, sometimes it's dark and occultish though ('Aquelarre' is a great example). The reason people say they're pop is not to do with their style, it's to do with the fact that they are very well-known in Spanish-speaking countries. Anyway, who cares about all this crap, they're a damn awesome band and that is that!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
13.10.2006 - 00:34
Vidrageon
Account deleted
They're a great Folk Metal band, but they're more folk than metal, they can be a bit weak metal wise, but I still love them for what they do.
13.10.2006 - 00:43
Bitch Boy

@ Judas: perfectly explained dude!

@ Vidrageon: that's why Mägo was classifyed here in MS as "folk heavy metal", as heavy is a melodic style in metal.
13.10.2006 - 13:37
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Yeah, I guess they're no power metal in that sense :>
14.10.2006 - 12:41
Unholy_Emperor

I don't understand the strange fact that Mago de Oz is well respected outside Spain while on the other hand the metallers from this country hate them, they are just so sellouts here...

La Leyenda de la Mancha is a very good album, but now they have became in a band for posers, that's actually how the things are in Spain.
14.10.2006 - 23:42
Bitch Boy

@ Unholy_Emperor: not only in Spain, the same happens here in Mexico and I guess that in some other Latin American countries. But I don't care about it, for me the most important thing of a band is the music and the lyrics, not the fans.
15.10.2006 - 01:15
Unholy_Emperor

That's true, but if fans change is because also music, lyrics, attitude and message change.

Mago de Oz is dead for me, but La Leyenda will always be a must have in spanish metal.
13.12.2006 - 23:56
Juanpmgoz
Account deleted
la verdad me extraña que todos los comentarios son en ingles pero bueno Mago de oz No son solo las letras sino tambien la combinacion de heavy con el celta ...en conclusion es el mejor grupo que existe
14.12.2006 - 00:18
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Guest on 13.12.2006 at 23:56

la verdad me extraña que todos los comentarios son en ingles pero bueno Mago de oz No son solo las letras sino tambien la combinacion de heavy con el celta ...en conclusion es el mejor grupo que existe

Translation ( )

In fact, I'm surprised that all these comments are in English, but, well, Mägo De Oz is not just the lyrics, but the combination of Heavy Metal and Celtic music as well... In conclusion, this is the best band in existance.

This is an English only forum, dude!
14.12.2006 - 03:39
Talvi

Well, guess many have said that. Mägo De Oz it's an amazing band, but they are a bit sellout, at least here in Spain. And the drummer, Txus, is pretty overrated. I still love them, but Gaia is an album I dislike. Finisterra and Gaia II are very good albums though. As a band, sometimes I prefer Saurom.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
04.03.2007 - 14:07
Judas
The Amputator
Resurrecting this topic, in one of my university subjects I have to read Miguel de Cervantes' 'Don Quixote', so naturally I pulled out their album 'La Leyenda de la Mancha', and damn it's amazing. I hadn't listened to this particular album for ages (barring the songs 'El Santo Grial', 'Molinos de Viento' and 'Maritornes') for ages, and it just made me get into the book that much more! A parallel could be drawn between this situation and reading 'The Silmarillion' while listening to 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth' by Blind Guardian.

I seriously considered taking Spanish at university, purely because it's a cool language and I'd love to understand their lyrics, stories and interviews better. I can get a rough idea because I speak French, and a lot of words are similar, but a proper comprehension would be great. In the end I chose to continue with French though. Oh well, it just means that I'll have some more linguistic learning to do in the future!
----
04.03.2007 - 19:36
GT
Coffee!!
Just got their entire discography a couple of days ago...damn they have made many great tracks...just love their mix of heavy and folk and Spanish is a nice language, wish I could understand it
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.03.2007 - 00:12
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I only own 'Gaia', 'Finesterra' and Belfast.
I need to get 'La Leyenda de la Mancha' though.

I dont understand whats so bad about Gaia lol, everyone seems to hate it. Belfast is shit.
05.03.2007 - 00:56
Kowalsky
Account deleted
I think Gaia is a great album, probabilly is not appreciated because is not very hard if confronted to La Leyenda De La Mancha, but it has many beuatiful songs.

I think Gaia is influenced someway by some old prog rock music, especially Jethro Tull or PFM, but that's only a my opinione, many friends of mine say that is a stupid opinion:D
06.03.2007 - 12:16
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Dark Cornatus on 05.03.2007 at 00:12

I only own 'Gaia', 'Finesterra' and Belfast.
I need to get 'La Leyenda de la Mancha' though.

I dont understand whats so bad about Gaia lol, everyone seems to hate it. Belfast is shit.

'Belfast' does indeed suck quite badly. I really enjoy both of the 'Gaia' albums that have been released, I can't see what's wrong with them either. They've got almost everything that 'Jesús de Chamberí' and 'La Leyenda de la Mancha' have, but they seem to be the ones that are considered the 'sellout' albums.

Incidentally, everyone go and listen to 'El Cuco y la Zingara' off 'Jesús de Chamberí', specifically to the mad guitar solo. I never knew Carlitos could sweep that well until listening to that song!
----
06.04.2007 - 10:00
Robstar

I have all their stuff and I regret that ...
Now they suck ... Their first three albums are good ya know but then they became so fucking comercial and fake...
Their lastest double album just did not like me at all...
Besides every poser around here listen to Mägo De Oz..
----
Nothing is unreacheable
08.04.2007 - 01:36
jorkg

Mago is so great, I don't know, ¿why people say that is crab?, it is the perfect combination of heavy metal and folk music. However, the firsts albums like la Leyenda de la Mancha and Jesus de Chamberi were the best of all the history, the last ones, for me, let the old and good times behind.
08.04.2007 - 11:29
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Jorkg - Who said that?
Yeah, there are some people walking around and eat a lot of shit by talking that Mago De Oz is funny and staff, because they don't use English language but that is bullshit, I think that they are awesome and it is good to hear some band singing in some oter language than English.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
09.04.2007 - 20:23
GT
Coffee!!
@Aronax: agree. Folk music should be played in the native tongue and not translated into English and that's why Mägo De Oz rule
----

09.04.2007 - 21:01
Bitch Boy

It would be great if you guys could understand what the lyrics say. If you want some translations, just let me know
11.04.2007 - 06:02
Ocarina654
Account deleted
I love Mago de Oz!

Heard them on Metal Storm radio a while back and bought La Layenda del la Mancha. Heard, but don't own, their other stuff.

Still though, I really love that album.
15.04.2007 - 12:49
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Bitch Boy on 09.04.2007 at 21:01

It would be great if you guys could understand what the lyrics say. If you want some translations, just let me know

Yeah it would be great. One of my friends had a Spanish girlfriend for a while and that made him learn Spanish (or at least got him started learning), so he translate some of the stuff. He was actually the guy that introduced me to Mägo and Saratoga
----

30.12.2007 - 14:36
Coté

I think this band is pretty good.
I would like to have the hole discography but I'm to lazy to download it.
Personally I own the cd Folktergeist which has 2 disc in it.

I just love "Maritormes", José sings wonderful and you really can feel the emotions that the song transmits.
I can Spanish so I undertand them perfectly, nevertheles I think that everybody can get the feelings; am I wrong?
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
31.12.2007 - 21:25
Ascalon

I think this band it's too commercial, nothing else they sound quite good .. maybe the vocalist it isn't perfect .. and their lyrics too repetitive .. but htey have a great song .. "La Posada de los Muertos" ... it's just that every child (at least in my country) like 11 - 12 years that believed that listen "metal" listen to Mago ... or Sonata ... always....
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
01.01.2008 - 02:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I have to agree with that... But I was 8-9 when I listened to them ahhahahahaha
But they where not the first band that I listened and liked back when I was little

The first albums are good.. they weren't so commercial back then.

I really hate when people go all "their lyrics are so cheesy and gay" I really like their lyrics (some are a bit silly though) but in general very good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2008 - 16:49
Coté

Agree with you brother.
If you think Mägo de Oz's lyrics are gay then so is Rammstein.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rammstein very much, but they do sing about homosexuality sometimes and you notice it directly when you listen to songs such as Bück Dich and Mann Gegen Mann.

So lets not talk about gay lyrics 'cause that doesn't matter at all.
If you don't like Mägo de Oz, may the reasons be that they're too comercial, you don't like the music genre or simply that José sings badly.

But please don't give more "the lyrics are gay- excuses"
Any person who says that is really narrow-minded
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::