05. Triumphant
06. Within My Fence
07. Red
08. Slave
09. Moon
10. Down
11. Lower
12. Pixel [Mediabook / LP bonus]

It would be unlike Leprous to exercise restraint to the point of diminishment and place limitations on fresh efforts. Nonetheless, The Congregation is a compromise.

It's safe to say that all bands eventually reach stagnation, some for reasons of creativity waning, fading relevance and taking a style to its end. Such an end has yet to find Norway's Leprous, who seem to run on continual inspiration with ideas in progressive metal that are never out of reach or beyond their means. Further efforts in another record only affirm an admirable quality of the outfit; that they are innately immune from that which would kill inspiration.

Coal was characterised by seriousness in its graver intentions and a stark change and definition of mood coming off Bilateral. Inhibitions were forgotten for the latter as they indulged in creative fluidity and variety, the band as a whole acting on an underlying avant-garde impulse and securing a recorded expression of their own eclecticism. The notion of Leprous as lackeys of Ihsahn significantly decreased in validity due to such an expression, and represented a point at which the band realised their own style.

Said style and its performers have been maturing from record-to-record, culminating in The Congregation. That their singer Solberg is as assertive in this new material as he was in Coal - and then some, as he takes a complete hold over the compositions - comes as no surprise given the direction that that record took, and The Congregation continues to provide platform for the band's vocal strengths in their theatrical character and pride of place. Instrumentation serves its purpose for what is a vocally centred record; the syncopated rhythms that the band is well known for are prominent, building the bedrock for Solberg's melodic arrangements and keyboard rich tones. The presence of their new drummer in Kolstad sustains the band's consistent percussive flair, his kit control evident as he fills the track-list with unerring rhythm and offbeat ingenuity about the mainstay guitar duo. Collectively, the efforts of all band members can be heard distinctly in tight-knit arrangement, the production end again handled ably by Jens Bogren.

What Leprous sacrifice in order to further their direction initiated in Coal is the diversity best displayed by Bilateral. The focus requires curtailing eclecticism for that more specific approach to mood that Solberg's song writing brings. Though this is not to deny the variation that is present in the track-list, as the album changes face throughout its runtime while maintaining an overall aesthetic aim. This was the aim with Coal; a direction which they've now refined and taken to new material with clear resolve and versatility.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 26.05.2015 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 489 users
26.05.2015 - 09:21
Rating: 7
BenWasHere
I felt like half the songs were filler with nothing that interesting to them, making this their weakest album for me. I really love their last three albums and was really excited for this one.
My favorite song is easily The Flood
26.05.2015 - 10:32
Rating: 8
Nihil Aeternum
Great album. But this review is the most pretentious blah I ever read on MS.
26.05.2015 - 11:12
Frombelow
This review doesn't tell me anything about the album!
Totally agree with IceMole!
26.05.2015 - 12:17
Zap
It told me plenty about the album.
Good review, even though I don't agree with everything in it. I wouldn't say it's a refinement of Coal's direction as much as it is just a continuation. In any case, I didn't enjoy The Congregation as much as that album.
26.05.2015 - 12:27
Andreas
I get slapped in the face with positive reviews for this one. But the one song I heard (Rewind I think) was very boring in my opinion. And I do like me some good prog.

Suppose I have to try again...
26.05.2015 - 12:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Still haven't listened to it but Leprous are one of the most interesting prog acts right now and consistently good. This reviews give me even more hope that it will be a good album

It's only a matter of time before I get my hands on this one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.05.2015 - 14:12
Rating: 9
DahliaRock
Talk to me in baby language!

goo goo gaa gaa

bad Leprous bad, good Bilateral good.

who is a good boy? Congregation is a good boy, oh yes, it is a good boy.. wait, that's dog talk..

Were you trying to imply that this album is more complex and complicated than it seems to be?
26.05.2015 - 18:17
Diverge
Wow I can't believe people are complaining about this review. I personally think it's one of R'Vannith's best ones, since it engaged with a few critical points of the band's sound (Coal and Bilateral) and showed the growth and change in approach relative to what Leprous has done before.

I actually disagree with Zaphod. This is obviously not a CONTINUATION of Coal in the sense that you could put Coal and The Congregation together back to back. The Congregation is distinctly The Congregation, in my opinion, and the refinement arguments hold far more weight with me.
26.05.2015 - 19:09
Lethrokai
Yeah I'm with Diverge on this one. It's way too presumptuous to call a review pretentious just because it uses some big words.
It tells you clearly about the band and the core sound of the album, as well as how the band's performance works overall. Perhaps it could have used some reference to more specific moments, just to give that more in-depth look... but other than that this review's pretty solid.

As for the whole "relation between Coal and The Congregation" question... I'd say it would be unfair to call The Congregation merely Coal pt.2, because there's plenty it does to distinguish itself as a standalone album, both in core-sound and the smaller details. However I do feel that calling it an EVOLUTION of Coal would be fitting, as the atmosphere at its centre still seems largely adapted from Coal. A different album, certainly, but one that still holds on somewhat to its ancestry.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
26.05.2015 - 20:29
Zap
Well, maybe I need to give it another spin. I definitely liked it, but I feel more inclined to listen to Coal instead of this again, so maybe that's where I got the impression it's more of a continuation.
I do agree with both of you that this is a fine review though.
27.05.2015 - 00:12
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I didn't like it. It's messy, the high pitched whiny vocals are atrocious, the song writing is confusing sometimes making me feel they were being weird for no reason. After listening to it a few times i still can't memorize any riff or vocal line, making it good just for background music while doing other stuff. There's no part in the whole album that makes me stop what i'm doing for a careful listen, and for me that's a bad sign.
27.05.2015 - 00:39
Rating: 10
To me it's exactly the opposite.
27.05.2015 - 01:15
DahliaRock
I would say "oh you newbz you know nothingz" but a lot of people are feeling the same stuff I felt when everybody on planet earth and starts above liked Porcupine Tree's FoaBP and despite being such a huge PT fan, I hated and despised it, used it as a shit tray to feed my pigs.

I guess it's the streamlination (is that a word?) of the sounds that a band makes, especially when you are fully aware of the capabilities of that band, since they threw you from wall to wall on every release. If you take Bilateral and listen as if you're gazing in awe at the explosions on the sun only to be blinded for life, this is like getting whipped by a friend throwing plastic bands at you. The Muse-y overtaking of new sounds will bother you, it will feel like a betrayal to everything you know.

Personally I like to clear all my expectations, my prior knowledge of a band's history and start anew when listening to a new release. (that's what I failed to do with PT as they are the band that formed my music knowledge and taste) First time I listened to this album, I hated it, and I actually feared that I would continue to. With Leprous, this has always been the case, and I think Coal was the hardest pill to swallow with the repetitions; this was hard because Coal, after many listens, stabbed a dagger to my heart that bleeds every time I listen to the album: beyond all the repetitions and 'Ah ah's there is an emotional depth that many bands of this era fail to capture, and it kinda became my new reference point for a while.

This album's darkness grows on you in a very peculiar way. Since you don't get that many repeats and the lengths are rather shorter per song, you have to focus. For me, the anchor point was the drum work. It's as if with the new drummer, Leprous is possessed by the tribal soul that made Woodkid album possible. Follow that dark deep pounding to the trail of synths and orchestrations, layer the vocals, and the guitar work automatically settles into the whole equation.

Where Coal was a wailing and mutiny to the darkness within, Congregation is more of a fall into a chasm of desperation.
27.05.2015 - 04:16
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Frombelow on 26.05.2015 at 11:12

This review doesn't tell me anything about the album!
Totally agree with IceMole!

It doesn't tell you anything? You know song-by-songs aren't allowed on this site right?

Quote:
The Congregation continues to provide platform for the band's vocal strengths in their theatrical character and pride of place. Instrumentation serves its purpose for what is a vocally centred record; the syncopated rhythms that the band is well known for are prominent, building the bedrock for Solberg's melodic arrangements and keyboard rich tones. The presence of their new drummer in Kolstad sustains the band's consistent percussive flair, his kit control evident as he fills the track-list with unerring rhythm and offbeat ingenuity about the mainstay guitar duo. Collectively, the efforts of all band members can be heard distinctly in tight-knit arrangement, the production end again handled ably by Jens Bogren.

I personally like the reviews that give a bit more background information on the album or even set a mood/expectation for your listening. I like them even more when reading them while listening, and this one definitely heightened the experience. Unfortunately, I feel that there was a bit of filler and lack of dynamics upon first listen, only worsened by the early release of two of the best tracks, just too safe. After a few more spins, I am starting to really enjoy it (I'm a sucker for great vocalists).

R'Vannith
27.05.2015 - 08:21
toxx
Supreme being
Man, this album is rock solid imo. Well composed, well produced, and tight as hell! The vocals on this one is one of the best aspects of the album.
27.05.2015 - 15:31
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Diverge on 26.05.2015 at 18:17

Wow I can't believe people are complaining about this review. I personally think it's one of R'Vannith's best ones, since it engaged with a few critical points of the band's sound (Coal and Bilateral) and showed the growth and change in approach relative to what Leprous has done before.

This is exactly what is wrong here. Much of it is an analysis of current Leprous in general, not a review of The Congregation. Ok, he lets us know the band is still inspired and they can handle their instruments, but other than that it's hard to grasp what the album really sounds like.
27.05.2015 - 15:40
Rating: 7
musicalkaratekid
Never listened to a full album by Leprous, but I have been recommended many individual songs and enjoyed them for the most part. Needless to say if any of the songs on this album are as excellent as "The Price" (Only song I've heard from The Congregation so far), then it's safe to say it'll be among the top releases of the year for me.
27.05.2015 - 15:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Risto on 27.05.2015 at 15:31

...but other than that it's hard to grasp what the album really sounds like.

A famous musician once said "writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

It is Always impossible to grasp what an album really sounds like without actually hearing the said album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.05.2015 - 15:48
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.05.2015 at 15:43

It is Always impossible to grasp what an album really sounds like without actually hearing the said album.

Hello, Mr. Obvious I'll rephrase: album reviews attempt to give general guidelines. This just isn't R'Vannith's finest moment at it.
27.05.2015 - 16:43
Diverge
Written by Risto on 27.05.2015 at 15:31

Written by Diverge on 26.05.2015 at 18:17

This is exactly what is wrong here. Much of it is an analysis of current Leprous in general, not a review of The Congregation. Ok, he lets us know the band is still inspired and they can handle their instruments, but other than that it's hard to grasp what the album really sounds like.

Like it or not now, Leprous is a well-known band in prog. Their style can speak for itself, and the argument is for a refinement of the sounds people *should* be familiar with. He probably could have told us what particular tracks exemplified some of his points (for example, what track was the new drumming exemplified?) but overall it's smooth, well-written and actually says a lot to people who are already familiar with Leprous' sound (most of the metal world). I'll once again echo Marcel's comment about grasping the sound before listening to the album.

Also, you are selectively reading his review to emphasize the band being inspired. That's only his *introduction*, and more than 2/3 of the content of the review is on tangible things you'll be able to hear upon listening to the album (Einar's singing, the new drumming, refinements relative to Coal). He doesn't simply say "the band can handle their instruments", actually; he talks about the nature of each instrument and the similarities with Leprous' older sounds (especially the syncopated rhythms). If you think R'Vannith has done better, that's completely valid (it's obviously not everyone's style), but it sounds to me like you're short-changing some of the elements he includes in here. I'll also correct something you said: "album reviews attempt to give general guidelines". Nope. Reviewers have the freedom and license to any sort of approach they want, including poetical responses. They only attempt to place the sound for people, knowing that people will likely want to acquire the record or avoid it depending on how the review describes the album. In this case, R'Vannith thought the best way to place the sound was to describe the work as a refinement of Coal which "curtail[s] [the] eclecticism" of Bilateral. The advantage to this approach is that you don't have to describe a whole bunch of individual moments on the album to make your point (and describing individual songs can be a pretty hard thing to do for a band like Leprous); it's a broad description of the sound, but it fully describes what's going on in the album.
27.05.2015 - 18:20
Nihil Aeternum
Written by Lethrokai on 26.05.2015 at 19:09

It's way too presumptuous to call a review pretentious just because it uses some big words.

I did not call the review pretentious because it uses some big words but it uses big words that are combined in a way that gives little actual meaning. Example: "Further efforts in another record only affirm an admirable quality of the outfit; that they are innately immune from that which would kill inspiration." Can anybody please explain this sentence to me? To me, it has the same actual meaning as a love poem or a song by Judas Priest. Another example: "... Leprous ... seem to run on continual inspiration with ideas in progressive metal that are never out of reach or beyond their means." This means that they can not only write inspired music but also play this music on their instruments, right? This is not really a deeper insight. To my knowledge, every metal band can play their own music ... some keep it simple, however. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I completely agree with Marcel when he says that writing about music is as difficult as dancing about architecture. I can't write about music except "wow, great, fantastic album" and this is why I don't write reviews. But the many fantastic reviews on MS prove that there are people who can do it. I want to encourage everybody and especially R'Vannith to write more good reviews, but I would appreciate more actual meaning and less vain poetry in the next review.
28.05.2015 - 01:40
Diverge
Again, that's a selective reading of R'Vannith's review focused almost entirely on the introduction. The first sentence isn't really that hard to understand (Leprous always seem to find inspiration). Not sure what you mean when you compare it to a love poem or a Judas Priest song (the point is definitely not clear, even with small words). The second sentence simply implies that Leprous can always turn these new ideas into music. Again, it's not that complicated and it's not that profound because it's simply the introduction to his review. There is plenty of actual meaning to be found in the remaining 2/3 of his review.
28.05.2015 - 03:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
People who think this review is pretentious learly are crap at comprehensive reading of the English language.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.05.2015 - 08:06
Nihil Aeternum
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.05.2015 at 03:30

People who think this review is pretentious learly are crap at comprehensive reading of the English language.

People who are MS staff members should not write such unfair comments. Unlike you I didn't attack anybody below the belt.
28.05.2015 - 08:20
Nihil Aeternum
Written by Diverge on 28.05.2015 at 01:40

The first sentence isn't really that hard to understand (Leprous always seem to find inspiration). ... The second sentence simply implies that Leprous can always turn these new ideas into music. Again, it's not that complicated and it's not that profound ...

"Leprous always seem to find inspiration and can always turn these new ideas into music." Thank you for your translation. About 75% less words, same information.
29.05.2015 - 09:01
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Read the review the second time after reading the whole discussion, and here a few thoughts of mine on the review and the controversy:

• it is indeed incredibly hard to write about music
  • the review is written in the typical R'Vannith style, so no surprises here
  • because of R'Vannith's style, it might be hard pick on the specifics of the album because they are all "between the lines," but they are actually there

So it made me think about the review styles. I prefer to be as specific in my reviews as possible, describing actual riffs and giving examples of songs when make statements about an album's different aspects or moods. Some people prefer not to do that... So now I am thinking whether my approach is actually better: is it possible to describe music in a way that the reader gets exactly what I am trying to some? Maybe R'Vannith's creative approach will have the same success rate of conveying the message as my direct approach...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.05.2015 - 18:28
Lethrokai
Written by K✞ulu on 29.05.2015 at 09:01

Read the review the second time after reading the whole discussion, and here a few thoughts of mine on the review and the controversy:

• it is indeed incredibly hard to write about music
  • the review is written in the typical R'Vannith style, so no surprises here
  • because of R'Vannith's style, it might be hard pick on the specifics of the album because they are all "between the lines," but they are actually there

So it made me think about the review styles. I prefer to be as specific in my reviews as possible, describing actual riffs and giving examples of songs when make statements about an album's different aspects or moods. Some people prefer not to do that... So now I am thinking whether my approach is actually better: is it possible to describe music in a way that the reader gets exactly what I am trying to some? Maybe R'Vannith's creative approach will have the same success rate of conveying the message as my direct approach...

Heh, guess that's how it goes then. People will have different preferences towards different styles. Much like the endless debate of music preference, talk about which review style is better revoles around an endless and subjective debate.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
31.05.2015 - 06:56
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Nihil Aeternum on 27.05.2015 at 18:20

I want to encourage everybody and especially R'Vannith to write more good reviews

I understand your intentions, and the constructive criticism posted here is certainly useful to me. Thank you for your input.
31.05.2015 - 11:55
Nihil Aeternum
Written by R'Vannith on 31.05.2015 at 06:56

Written by Nihil Aeternum on 27.05.2015 at 18:20

I want to encourage everybody and especially R'Vannith to write more good reviews

I understand your intentions, and the constructive criticism posted here is certainly useful to me. Thank you for your input.

Thank you, R'Vannith, for your reply and also thanks to the other people for their constructive and informative posts above. I know that it is always hard to be criticized for something for which you have worked hard and for which you would think that it's good. But reviewers criticize bands, they are criticized here for their reviews by jerks like me and I am criticized by others for my criticism. People have different opinions and as long as everybody is constructive, the discussion is a converging "upward spiral" and we can learn from conflicting opinions. I do not think that such "endless subjective debates" are useless, quite the contrary. My very first comment, just saying that this review is "pretentious blah" was not constructive because I didn't justify this statement. I apologize for that and I'm glad that you found my later posts useful.
01.06.2015 - 05:54
strade
I've never been able to get into this band, but this album is currently blowing me away. I'll be sure to revisit their previous work soon...
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com

Hits total: 10385 | This month: 26