Bell Witch - Four Phantoms review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

92 users:
Band: Bell Witch
Album: Four Phantoms
Style: Funeral doom metal
Release date: April 2015

01. Suffocation, A Burial: I - Awoken (Breathing Teeth)
02. Judgement, In Fire: I - Garden (Of Blooming Ash)
03. Suffocation, A Drowning: II - Somniloquy (The Distance Of Forever)
04. Judgement, In Air: II - Felled (In Howling Wind)

Funeral doom has always struck me as a very hit or miss style of music. You either get albums from bands that are totally monumental, crushing, and epic, or ones that somehow just can't figure out the trick and are instead boring, overly plodding, and uninspired, with very little to be found in between these extremes. Four Phantoms, the sophomore effort from the American Bell Witch, is a curious release in this regard, one that first appears to be in that second area, but begins to move to the first as its grandiosity is slowly revealed.

The degree to which Bell Witch are a "less is more" type band can not be understated. Composed only of bassist Dylan Desmond and drummer Adrian Guerra (who also do clean and growled vocals, respectively), the duo have proven with their debut that they have all the sonic intensity that your typical full fledged band could ever ask for, and they're doing it again here. On Four Phantoms, Bell Witch choose to take a bit of a softer, more atmospheric approach than that applied on Longing. The music overall sounds a lot sadder, the production not as gritty, and in particular Dylan Desmond has expanded upon the tone of his bass to a great degree, using a very wide and impressive range of distortion and other effects that at many points make it sound like a melancholic, weeping guitar (see "Suffocation: A Drowning," especially).

This is certainly not to say, however, that Bell Witch have lost any of their power... rather, that it has simply transformed itself in a way. The music on Four Phantoms isn't so much ominous as it is somber and reflective, and isn't as dark and smothering as it is bright, harmonious, and almost relaxing. The continuous repetition of certain melodies, and the oftentimes monotonous nature of the bass can get a little irritating, but it's definitely a technique that reveals its value more over time, gradually peeling back the initial impression one may get of this album being dull, and instead painting a powerful and majestic picture that is, when one fully absorbs it, really quite beautiful.

Four Phantoms is definitely an album that has a huge amount of potential to grow on you over time. The compositional prowess that Bell Witch are working with here does not choose to reveal itself immediately. Rather, it lurks deep within the core of the music, almost teasing you in a way, and challenging you to undertake those devoted, multiple listens to firmly understand what the band are trying to get across to you. Some may thus find themselves asking what the point really is, and why the band simply didn't go for a more simplistic and less overwhelming approach in attempting to get their musical message across. But, of course, what would be the fun in that?

Check out the massiveness right over here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 30.05.2015 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 187 users
30.05.2015 - 02:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Great review and album
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.05.2015 - 07:11
Rating: 9
Chobo_jokeR

This album honestly gets better with each and every listen. I listened to it 3 or 4 times the one day and each listen brought new sounds. Really loving this album.

Good review too.

EDIT: And that cover...absolutely love it. Paolo Girardi is a master.
30.05.2015 - 14:56
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 30.05.2015 at 07:11

This album honestly gets better with each and every listen. I listened to it 3 or 4 times the one day and each listen brought new sounds. Really loving this album.

Good review too.

EDIT: And that cover...absolutely love it. Paolo Girardi is a master.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel about it
Also, Girardi is an excellent artist, but I notice most of his work employs a lot of the same colors and shapes: those browns, whites, and greys, and images of forest landscapes. He's not bad by any means, but part of me feels his work could use just a teensy bit more variety to it.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.05.2015 - 23:34
massbrow

Nice album, i like it
31.05.2015 - 01:19
Rating: 9
Chobo_jokeR

Quote:
Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.05.2015 at 14:56

Yep, that's exactly how I feel about it
Also, Girardi is an excellent artist, but I notice most of his work employs a lot of the same colors and shapes: those browns, whites, and greys, and images of forest landscapes. He's not bad by any means, but part of me feels his work could use just a teensy bit more variety to it.

I agree that he definitely uses the same colours and shapes, but for some reason I'm just attracted to his paintings. I find that this cover, has a lot of similarities to Lycus's Tempest cover. The imagery is different, but like you said, he uses similar colours.

I think the 5 new covers he's done for Inquisitions albums are also fantastic.
01.06.2015 - 16:58
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
After reading your review... I think maybe I should give it a few more goes as it sounds pretty average to me the few times I've heard it
----
loves 小巫
01.06.2015 - 17:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ag Fox on 01.06.2015 at 16:58

After reading your review... I think maybe I should give it a few more goes as it sounds pretty average to me the few times I've heard it

Well it's also comes down to tastes I guess. Even if you listen to it multiple times, like I suggested, if you're not really inclined towards this particular type of music you probably still won't like it.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.06.2015 - 17:52
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.06.2015 at 17:39

Written by Ag Fox on 01.06.2015 at 16:58

Well it's also comes down to tastes I guess. Even if you listen to it multiple times, like I suggested, if you're not really inclined towards this particular type of music you probably still won't like it.
I like some... like the mainstream ones such as Esoteric, Shape Of Despair, Colosseum, to lesser ones like The NULLL Collective.

But yes... a lot of the rest... I didn't find them too impressive. Then again, I feel that way towards many albums across many genres of music anyway =P
----
loves 小巫
01.06.2015 - 18:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ag Fox on 01.06.2015 at 17:52

I like some... like the mainstream ones such as Esoteric, Shape Of Despair, Colosseum, to lesser ones like The NULLL Collective.

Well yeah, like I said here, I think funeral doom in general is a pretty "amazing or shit" style. A few bands who have the sound down to a T, but a lot who don't. All those bands you listed are awesome, but I'd still say they're in a relatively small minority when it comes to the ones who do it right. Bell Witch, I'd say, are definitely in the amazing category, even if they're not as well established and don't have as much to their name as Esoteric, Evoken, Shape Of Despair, etc.
----

~ II. VII
19.11.2015 - 12:43
Deadsoulman

I'm getting strong Worship vibes from this one. Nice album. Now I'm curious to hear their debut.
19.11.2015 - 13:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Deadsoulman on 19.11.2015 at 12:43

I'm getting strong Worship vibes from this one

I feel like I'm supposed to know who that is
----

~ II. VII
19.11.2015 - 14:43
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.11.2015 at 13:51

Probably this Worship?
19.11.2015 - 14:50
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Worship worship?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
19.11.2015 - 16:33
Deadsoulman

Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.11.2015 at 13:51

Booo.

Yes, the Worship Lit. linked to.
19.11.2015 - 20:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Deadsoulman on 19.11.2015 at 16:33

Never heard of or listened
Album of recommendation, by chance?
----

~ II. VII
19.11.2015 - 22:34
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.11.2015 at 20:03

Last Tape Before Doomsday from 1999 is a modern classic of funeral doom metal...So....emmmm...YEAH.
Recommended to anyone who enjoys funeral doom that gets fucking pitch-black and evil-sounding. A la Tyranny (wouldn't surprise me if they got influenced by Worship tbh).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.11.2015 - 00:00
Deadsoulman

I'd go with Dooom, but that's mainly because I find the French lyrics on Last Tape/CD Before Doomsday incredibly cheesy and that ruins the experience for me. So yeah, one of these two. Terranean Wake was quite a letdown.
20.11.2015 - 00:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.11.2015 at 22:34

Recommended to anyone who enjoys funeral doom that gets fucking pitch-black and evil-sounding. A la Tyranny (wouldn't surprise me if they got influenced by Worship tbh).

Sounds like a must then!
----

~ II. VII
20.11.2015 - 03:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadsoulman on 20.11.2015 at 00:00

Terranean Wake was quite a letdown.

NO IT WAS NOT!!!!!

It was a great album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2015 - 03:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
But tbh I am more worried about someone who says he really likes funeral doom but doesn't even know Worship by name
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2015 - 03:35
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2015 at 03:28

But tbh I am more worried about someone who says he really likes funeral doom but doesn't even know Worship by name

Meh, to hell with your standards, Grand Wizard Of Doom
----

~ II. VII
20.11.2015 - 03:50
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.11.2015 at 03:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2015 at 03:28

Meh, to hell with your standards, Grand Wizard Of Doom

I'm not an expert when it comes to funeral doom, yet I know Worship and understand their relevance in the sub-genre.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
20.11.2015 - 04:15
Lit.
Account deleted

Holy hell, I actually introduced freaking Apothecary to a new band?

Both of the first two albums are great (Last CD... and Dooom) so like Doc and Deadsoulman said, you can't go wrong with either? Terranean Wake sucks, though, so avoid that.
21.11.2015 - 03:06
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Rather enjoy this. hooray worship, too. giddy up.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.01.2016 - 12:52
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Starting to become a fanboy here so a 8 for this album is too low. Its a 8.4-10 depending on how it ages.
Whats the albums theme, life after death?

Hits total: 4428 | This month: 10