Metal Storm logo
Otep - Singer Assaulted On Stage, Hits Back

After allegedly being sexually assaulted by the former frontman of Terror Universal, singer Otep Shamaya was reportedly nearly attacked by an audience member at the band's show in Belvidere, Illinois on June 7th. He rushed the stage, and she hit him with the microphone to defend herself. Otep's singer has now released a statement regarding the assault incident. No word yet on if any charges are being pressed.

Speaking to MetalSucks, Otep recalled the incident: "I'd like to thank everyone, all the fans and supporters, the venue and their security, who stood by me during the unfortunate altercation after our performance. Our shows do get wild and riotous but this was different. I apologize for all the blood but I was being physically threatened and had to defend myself. Thanks again for your unending support."

According to staff and audience members, a man, described as very large and belligerently drunk, was attempting to instigate fights before the show, including harassing Otep's muscle-man guitar player, Aristotle. Later, this same man was seen throwing a young woman into the Monitor Board which resulted in a disruption of sound during Otep's set. After the show, as Otep was on stage inviting people to the meet & greet at the merch table, the same man screamed out that she was a "cunt" and charged the stage. Fearing for her safety, she instinctively struck his head with her microphone. He screamed to hit him again and lunged at her and she struck him a second time. Security then removed him from the venue while he continued to scream insults at Otep. Known for her advocacy against bullying and her stance regarding violence against women, Otep continues to defend equality and safety for all people, including her own.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Otep
Posted: 10.06.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 1   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 124 users
10.06.2015 - 22:07
Gothmog_Motsham

She should carry a taser gun on stage then Or maybe that flame thrower machine Rammstein has

Hits total: 2125 | This month: 9