08. End Of Innocence
09. Beautiful Apocalypse [feat. Charlotte Wessels]
10. Liar Liar (Wasteland Monarchy) [feat. Alissa White-Gluz]
11. Here's To The Fall
12. Revolution [feat. Alissa White-Gluz]
13. Haven
14. The Ties That Bind [Japanese bonus]
15. At First Light [vinyl bonus]

Kamelot, a band responsible for many great hits in the power/symphonic metal scene, have recently issued their second full-length studio album, Haven, featuring their new frontman Tommy Karevik. The band stated this album is a throwback attempt, back to The Black Halo era, which brings their recent rather controversial songwriting knack to the test.

What is important to remember before listening to this album, and to its predecessor, Silverthorn, is that with legendary vocalist Roy Khan's departure, his poetic songwriting has left the band too. That means there are no poetic, instant-classic, "Soul Society"-esque anthems in these albums. In fact, given that Kamelot are a band that is expected and capable to overflow with creativity and insightful songwriting, they fail to deliver such gems in Haven.

Sadly, in Haven, not only do we not get enough precious moments like we did in previous albums, it seems the band has done everything right according to their formula - from the double-bass drum blasting, to the sweeping melodies contributed by clever guitar and keyboard duets. It seems, in "Liar Liar (Wasteland Monarchy)" or "Citizen Zero," for example, that Kamelot are afraid of giving Tommy the freedom to sound like himself, slaughtering all possible intuitive moments to their newest set list. Tommy's abilities seem to be hardwired to the standards previously set by Khan, which makes me question the authenticity displayed by him at times, as if he's fronting a cover band for the band, instead of being actually in Kamelot.

Don't get me wrong, though, Haven is a great album, with songs like "Insomnia," "Citizen Zero," "Veil of Elysium," and "Fallen Star" in its catalogue that are sure to satisfy any critic. Karevik is doing an even finer job mimicking Khan than he did on Silvethorn, and Thomas Youngblood delivered some very important guitar riffs that will not disappoint any Kamelot fan. But - Haven is not merely the highest mountain the band, with their very impressive talent record, can climb on, and is an easily forgotten album, and in my opinion, probably destined to pick up dust in your CD cabinet once you've heard it to completion.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by Kais | 11.06.2015

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Ag Fox
Rating:
Roy Khan is back!

Read more ››
published 03.05.2015 | Comments (53)

Comments

Comments: 7   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 169 users
11.06.2015 - 18:19
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Now this is the review I agree upon almost 100%. I would also add that Khan brought along a sort of progressive feel to the music, very present on their most appreciated albums. Kamelot was more of an prog/power metal band, but ever since Ghost Opera it dived into a symphonic gothic metal gimmickry that doesn't work all the time. The Ghost Opera formula has been rehashed and played safe on Silverthorn, and much more safe on Haven. At least PFTP was a failed experiment... but these last 2 albums leave too much to be desired.
11.06.2015 - 18:27
Rating: 7
Kais

I actually find PFTP one of Kamelot's better releases, because it's more experimental, and you can hear Khan stretching his remaining abilities on the record.
11.06.2015 - 20:43
musclassia

I wouldn't call it a great album - I do enjoy at least Fallen Star and Liar Liar, and find a few of the others fairly good. But it's ultimately fairly unremarkable - good enough for a band that's already got classics like Karma and TBH under its belt but not going to get many people outside of the real diehards going crazy for it.
11.06.2015 - 22:01
mariano

To me, the few good songs in this album are standard Kamelot songs, the rest are as boring as any song from Poetry For The Poisoned.
12.06.2015 - 05:15
Opethian

More Safe material from these guys. I was expecting a strong release and praise worthy ............. NOPE!
14.06.2015 - 18:42
Kais

At least on "Ghost Opera" you can hear a sense of ingenuity and fantastically done progressive feel to the darker Black Halo sound. In Silverthon and Haven the band are just trying to reinvent the previously set tune, which doesn't go all too well. They should reinvent Kamelot, not Ghost Opera, iMO.
24.01.2018 - 23:43
Rating: 5
frequenzangriff

I did my best to get into liking it, really not a bad album, but i will pass it, as it's too much of the same but with less flare. IMHO the main reason Kamelot was so good was Khan (i'm his fan since "Conception"), with his voice and his singing style.

Hits total: 3336 | This month: 6