Metal Storm logo
The Gathering

Original post

Posted by Soliloquy, 22.05.2006 - 00:14
well here it is. a thread for the ever changing band. they started off as death/doom metal with some gothic influences. one of the first gothic acts(in 91). then they changed their style to avant grade/doom metal with their second album. their 3rd and forth were gothic metal/rock. their 5th was trip rock, 6th was the same. 7th was popish rock. and now their new album is yet again, different.

i bout their album 'home' a few weeks ago. only heard it thrice i believe. pretty cool album, but it isnt what i was expecting. befor the album came out, there was a huge hype of how the band is going back to its trip rock roots(how to measure a planet? roots), but it really wasnt. but instead of making th ealbum sound like that, they made soemthing else. their music is different, and so are their lyrics. most of the time i was sort of confused as to what they are talking about, but oh well, over all home is a cool album

what do you guys think of them? favorite album? song? what do you think about their experimental style? should they stick to one genre, or keep jumping back and forth? do you like the older The Gathering, or the Newer, or the one that was in th emiddle? saw them live? how were theyy?
03.08.2006 - 16:20
mar3|<
Account deleted
I'm sort a new fan here I started listening to The Gathering few months ago, I think. At first I 've been listening only to songs from Souveniers and some songs from If_then_else and I thought that they are very good. But then I tryed Mandylion album and I was like There are four songs that amaze me: Leaves, In motion #1, In motion #2 and Sand and Mercury. I once saw video of song Leaves and at that time I knew that this song is great and I wanted to have it, but then (the next day) I forgot about it and now that I listened to this song again, I think it's even better this songs are very beautiful (melodicaly simple but very aesthetic), emotional and Anneke's singing is amazing. It can easily bring tears to your eyes because of it's beauty. Songs from Souveniers and If_then_else are more relaxing, they are sad but don't have such emotional power, despair like the ones from Mandylion.
For now I only listened to those three albums, I still have How to measeure a planet, Always and Home at home. I'll try them out one day when I'll feel like going a step further.
03.08.2006 - 19:36
Soliloquy

/\ if you like madylion, then you would love nighttime birds!

and you forgot about 'leaves'? shame

anyways, i found a video of thiers while they were making their 'home' album:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XBYkYZ19o4A&search=the%20gathering
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
20.08.2006 - 03:09
Anathemani@c

The Gathering is a very good band. However my favourite alboum is the sleepy buildings. I have Mandylion but I didn't like it much. However their last alboum Home was very good.
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
18.03.2007 - 02:49
Susan
Smeghead
It looks like the Gathering will be supporting Lacuna Coil on most of their US tour this year! This is amazing news since The Gathering has only briefly played in the US (and not my city!).

I just purchased their DVD "A Sound Relief" recently and am SO excited to get to see that amazing energy live
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
18.03.2007 - 03:33
Bitch Boy

Written by Susan on 18.03.2007 at 02:49

It looks like the Gathering will be supporting Lacuna Coil on most of their US tour this year! This is amazing news since The Gathering has only briefly played in the US (and not my city!).

I just purchased their DVD "A Sound Relief" recently and am SO excited to get to see that amazing energy live

Their live performances are amazing, you will enjoy them for sure. I just think it's funny that The Gathering is the supporting band they have a larger career than Lacuna Coil. Hopefully the will sing Shrink along with Cristina Scabbia.
18.03.2007 - 03:36
Susan
Smeghead
Yeah, that just goes to show you how f*ed up the American media is when it comes recognizing the arts abroad I'm actually viewing this as a good thing though: I get to watch The Gathering and then go home! If LC was opening I would have to sit through their show waiting but now I don't

I know it mean a shorter set but I'll take whatever The Gathering I can get!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
19.03.2007 - 19:10
Amrott

at least you get to see the gathering and Anneke, i wouldn't mind them supporting anyone if means playing here!!
25.03.2007 - 03:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I think Anneke, the vocalist, lives in the same city as where my school is. Haha, what do you have to say about that?

Ok, now for the real thing. I want you to name an album that is most 'The Gathering' as possible. Can't be bothered to check out their entire disco, so please, name one.

Thankies!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.03.2007 - 21:28
Susan
Smeghead
@Nervel, that's SO hard! They change and evolve greatly with each album!

Most people will probably recommend "Mandylion" since it's the most metal (and this is a metal forum). It is a great album but I'd also recommend "If Then Else" or even "Souvenirs" to get a feel for the band. My favourite is their latest, "Home," but I don't think it's the most indicative of their style over the years. They generally don't play "metal" anymore but distorted guitars and intense energy are still a big part of their sound. You'll enjoy whatever you decide to get
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
25.03.2007 - 22:14
Ivor
Staff
Nervel, you'll love "Always...". It is without Anneke though. With Anneke I would recommend "Mandylion." However, any album is good but that is a word of a fan.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
25.03.2007 - 23:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Nervel dies its Grave your school are in Grave...yes nice name in english

I would sugets you Always its moust DOOM/DEATH album o band and alsdo I sugest next album Almoust A Dance
I like those 2 albums, but also i like one song it calls damn i forggot it but it begins whit lyrics something ... and you scroove me ower damn I love that song but forgot name
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.03.2007 - 23:49
Susan
Smeghead
Nervel asked for the album which is the most typical of their style; recommending Always... or Almost a Dance seems silly since they were released so long ago and are very different styles than what the band has been doing over the last 15 years
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
26.03.2007 - 00:02
Ivor
Staff
Written by Susan on 25.03.2007 at 23:49

Nervel asked for the album which is the most typical of their style; recommending Always... or Almost a Dance seems silly since they were released so long ago and are very different styles than what the band has been doing over the last 15 years

Yeah, that's what he wanted but I couldn't resist taking into account his taste in music. "Always..." will go down well, I figure. I did recommend "Mandylion" but it is not representing what The Gathering stads for currently. If we really want to talk about their most representative album at the moment, "Souvenirs" is the only way to go. However, it is not that easy piece to get into. Took me long enough to dig in. But once you discover this album, you can't stop loving it.

I.
----
/---/
26.03.2007 - 00:03
Anathemani@c

Lyrinan: Mandylion is their best studio alboum. On the other hand I'd suggest "the sleepy buildings - a semi/acoustic concert". It contains nearly everything in semi-acoustic versions
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
26.03.2007 - 00:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Anathemani@c on 26.03.2007 at 00:03

Lyrinan: Mandylion is their best studio alboum. On the other hand I'd suggest "the sleepy buildings - a semi/acoustic concert". It contains nearly everything in semi-acoustic versions

I like this album, i like it, i dunno, but from The Gathering i like first 2 and this, because of acustic sound its so live emotions there, so great feelings

PS Nikopolidis are to old

@Lyrinan - Knowing Nervel I think he woud like more first 2 albums how leither
----

apos;'
[image]
26.03.2007 - 20:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
K7 is right, Death/Doom IS more my thing. But on the otherhand, I want to know the 'real' Gathering. So you are both right, no fight.

Am checking out those recommandations, hope I remember to post an opinion here.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.03.2007 - 21:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 26.03.2007 at 20:38

K7 is right, Death/Doom IS more my thing. But on the otherhand, I want to know the 'real' Gathering. So you are both right, no fight.

Hahha its like Paradise Lost man we all know 'real' Paradise Lost are death/doom ere first 4 albums, same about The Gathering
----

apos;'
[image]
27.03.2007 - 02:15
Bitch Boy

Written by Lucas on 26.03.2007 at 20:38

I also recommend Mandylion, the first of their no-death/doom albums, but still very enjoyable.
05.06.2007 - 22:09
Amrott

OMFG!!!

Anneke is leaving the gathering???!!!!

this news is just fucking unbelievable!!!

yeah i know she wasn't there from the beginning but it was when she joined this band has become the legend it is (minus the radical change in sound over the years)

check out the sad news on the official website
http://www.gathering.nl/
06.06.2007 - 09:24
duyhung
Account deleted
Damn, I cant believe this. Vibeke left Tristania, and now Anneke leaves The Gathering
06.06.2007 - 15:06
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by Guest on 06.06.2007 at 09:24

Damn, I cant believe this. Vibeke left Tristania, and now Anneke leaves The Gathering

I can't believe it either.What's going on?!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
06.06.2007 - 22:33
Bitch Boy

Is it true that Anneke is joining another band?? I thought she was focusing on her family...
07.06.2007 - 20:23
Elodie Artour
Slania
Well,that would be a little bit mean,but we'll see...
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
08.06.2007 - 00:17
Ancestral Moon

Well she had a baby recently, I don't think she's leaving for another band... I think she just wants to be a good mother, that's all.
----
¸.?**?.¸*·I am following my fishie... because my fish knows where to go·*¸.?**?.¸
08.06.2007 - 05:22
Susan
Smeghead
It's not "another band" it's her own personal music project. She posted a blog about it on her personal myspace page entitled "future endeavors" : http://www.myspace.com/annekevangiersbergen
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
08.06.2007 - 05:36
Bitch Boy

Written by Susan on 08.06.2007 at 05:22

It's not "another band" it's her own personal music project. She posted a blog about it on her personal myspace page entitled "future endeavors" : http://www.myspace.com/annekevangiersbergen

Thanks for the info!! I only read the blog about "Leaving The Gathering"
05.10.2007 - 14:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont understand why you are so sad because of fact that Anneke van Giersbergen left a band?
ORIGINAL The Gathering was death/doom band whit MALE vocals, and I jsut listened some songs from first album and its amazing death/doom whit Bart Smits on vocals, ok secend album was whit Niels Duffhues on vocals but still it was death/doom, but Anneke, i never likes her in band its not musicic what I enjoy its like all good bands who cnange styile(Paradise Lost, Kataonia, Anathema, Amoprhis)Its be forgivness if band splitt up in 1993 IMO its be best what could hepen but unfortunatly didnt

'' And please forget, we can't have those thing
And please forget, we'll act like we've just met
And please forget, we can do it all over again
Please forget we'll act like we've just met
''

So I and Marcel are happy abourt Anneke left
----

apos;'
[image]
07.10.2007 - 12:32
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well yea you might be, but some people (such as I) adore Anneke and adored The Gathering with Anneke much more than the band before gaining her. I am glad that The Gathering took Anneke and spend years with her in the band, giving the band somehow the seal. After all, she was their frontwoman and left a seal with her voice and image, but moreover; she was also an important factor of their music, a composer and lyricist and gave us, the fans, so much along with the gang from the band as a unity. Of music.

I have always admired her, still do and will. IMO she's one of the strongest, most talented, charismatic and charming women in the rock music industry and I surely hope some day she will be back in the music scene, not necessarily with The Gathering.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
07.10.2007 - 12:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO thay shood change name when Anneke come to some other name its like other bands what i mention, its like go an dlistening new Katatonia or Anathema, for me i wont go listened for free thay shood pay me to go there, same whit The Gathering I prefrere old stuff
----

apos;'
[image]
07.10.2007 - 13:54
Ivor
Staff
Someone from The Gathering made a good point saying that four of the members are still continuing on in the band. So, why change a name? If a guitarist had left, new would be found and the band name would be kept. Why should it be different when the singer leaves? Take Nightwish as another example - for many Tarja was Nightwish, yet, the band carries on under the same name. Or take Tristania now without Vibeke. Or Theatre Of Tragedy without Liv Kristine for that matter. And I don't think that a band should change it's name whenever it is changing a member or musical direction. In that case Tiamat, Katatonia and many other would have a different name or names. It's not necessary.

@Ines: Anneke does carry on. See Agua de Annique and Myspace. Sounds promising.
----
/---/