Metal Storm logo
Classical Music

Original post

Posted by Icewings, 22.05.2006 - 02:56
Well as you might know , I love and respect music to the fullest ... I think that classical music is one of the most important types of music , thanks to them many forms and kind of notation develope , and well the influences even in modern music are clear ..I think classical music is amazing .. and well I love the all from early early classical music to modern , I think there's great composer :Mozart,Vivaldi,debussy,Monteveri in others ...

So let's discuss your opinions on classical music ..
22.11.2006 - 14:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've heard that Metals closest relative is classical music, is it true?
----
23.11.2006 - 02:37
Soliloquy

yes, and no. yes in the sense that a lot of scales that are used in guitars(riffs and solos) are bassed around the same scales that the classical composers play on. all the piano solos can be played on guitars(almost all) and the basic structure of metal (intro, middle, end) that is often varriying from others is common in classical music as well...

how ever, NO in the sense that a) metal has distortion(and LOTS OF IT!!!!). b) it has vocals(but then again, operas had em too. but no growls, or just normal voices. they were classical bass tenors, and stuff). and the major difference is the use of drums in metal. classical music didnt have any drums, or any instruemnts similar to drums.

so yeah...
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
23.11.2006 - 02:40
Soliloquy

Written by The Alchemist on 20.11.2006 at 03:41

Written by Guest on 17.11.2006 at 23:11

I've always pictured classical music as a part of metal, don't ask me why, I just felt they belong together

Many metal bands have classical music influences, I feel the same too.
Once I've heard that there are really dark songs in classical music, similar to metal, specially gothic, though I haven't heard these songs, I think that this is true

that dark, gloomy song, you might be talking about Mozart's "Lacarimosa" or something like that. that is supposedly the darkest piece mozart wrote(contradictory to his major scale use, which provides a 'happy' and cheerful thouch to songs) and i think he wrote that after someone from his family died. herpahs his dad or soemthing...
----

-Zakk Wylde
25.11.2006 - 05:50
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
@Soliloquy: yes, it's maybe this song, some people agree that this is the darkest piece of Mozart, I have to check it
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
06.12.2006 - 05:42
Soliloquy

IN THE HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING!

just added that song by edvard grieg. and the first movement of 'moonlight sonata'. took a while, like about 2 months, but i got it. i'm really sloppy at that that song..but still, i can play it!
----

-Zakk Wylde
06.12.2006 - 13:45
TLZ
Account deleted
I listen some to Edward Grieg(Peer Gynt) and also to Don Davis(Matrix Soundtracks).

Soliloquy: In Hall of the Mountain King is awesome! It's soo massive and powerfull.
06.12.2006 - 17:32
Soliloquy

Written by Guest on 06.12.2006 at 13:45

I listen some to Edward Grieg(Peer Gynt) and also to Don Davis(Matrix Soundtracks).

Soliloquy: In Hall of the Mountain King is awesome! It's soo massive and powerfull.

that it is, the rhythm of it is just incredible. and its cool to play it infront of someone, coz it starts off so slow. and at first peopel are like 'man, this guy sucks! he is so slow!' and then it speeds up and BANG!

hall of the mountain king has been covered by tons of bands, like apocalyptica, Savatage and you name it. some bands even sample it

pity, in USA, there used to be some kiddy cartoon about a decade ago that went under the name of 'inspector gadget'. its intro was the hall of the mountain king, and for that reason, everyone recognizes the tune as 'inspector gadget's tune!'

those bastards
----

-Zakk Wylde
07.12.2006 - 12:15
TLZ
Account deleted
Ok that's just sad.

I remember I used to watch it when I was a kid, but I really don't remember that it had Hall of the Mountain King as a theme song.

Btw. The transelation of the title "Hall Of The Mountain King" isn't that good if you ask me. The norwegian title is "Dovregubbens Hall".
"Hall Of The Troll" is almost a more accurate transelation IMO. Cause Dovregubben is the name of a giant troll, not a king!
07.12.2006 - 16:16
Soliloquy

yeah, the inspector gadget tune is more 'techno' and electronicized, so it starts to get really annoying after a while. sounds really immature.

as for the troll, it would sound better, but either way, i'm not a fan of the name. i mean, a 'hall' would be more suited for a king, where as maybe a bridge, or a field, or soemthing would be more suited for a troll.
----

-Zakk Wylde
08.12.2006 - 12:42
TLZ
Account deleted
My point it the transelation

The original norwegian transelation is "Dovregubbens Hall"
Directly transelated it would mean "The Trolls Hall".

I doesen't neccerly mean hall as as in a litte bulding-hall, but as in a mountain hall.
And besides, in norwegian Hall is usually reffered to a large hall.

EDIT: I discussed with my gf(she knows more about this than me). Apperently it IS a troll, but this troll is king over the mountains. So a very direct transleation would be "mountaintroll king" or "In the hall of the king of the trolls of the mountain" witch doesen't sound erhm... that good. So on second(or wait, third?) thought the original title wasn't that bad.
08.12.2006 - 18:10
eximius

My oppinion is that classical music has a big influence on some genres of metal, if it wasn't so it would be pity because metal is still evolving and it has got only let's say 40 years? (..and classical music has a story to tell at this chapter )
if classical music didn't exist we could say goodbye to 'black clothes, leather all over , hair in the wind' style
:P:P
as soliloquy said classical music doesn't have lyrics but don't you think u can also translate some very powerful messages from this kind of music, some feeling , afterwards our humanly language is lame, we are not evolved at that, music is beyond words, of course i prefer words too
08.12.2006 - 21:50
Soliloquy

/\ fuck yah! you have savatage's cover up there!

as for the language. haha, funny you mention it, coz i was laughing over the idea of language not too long ago. i mean, sure this is sort of off topic, but you ever wondered where language came from? for example, in english, we call crescent(the type of bread). yet in french, the same thing is called 'cresaunt' with a t being silent. who came up with this stuff...?

anywho, yeah, without classical, there wont be bands like Therion, Haggard, Savatage/tso, Children of Bodom and others. why? coz look in alexi's profile. as a kid, he used to play violin. on top of that, his first album was a classical metal kinda thing...so yeah
----

-Zakk Wylde
08.12.2006 - 22:53
eximius

yah I know Savatage pwns ,it's also my wallpaper

as about that thing with language , we can't speak about no words cause even though there were some howls with specific meanings, like chicken , imagine a song performed by chickens... this evolution is strange cause we're not always evolving into good, about that chicken, think about crazy frog

i'm speaking about something else right now, what i was trying to say is that classic from deffinition means something old but not also something worse , we have yet a lot to learn, and we are learning ,that's important
this music sends messages to each of us in different ways, good lyrics are interpretable too, my favourite lyrics , maybe ever, are from crematory, farrewell letter ... sad but VERYYY interpretable
08.12.2006 - 23:46
Soliloquy

chickens singing a song eh...humm. you ever heard of a guitarist named 'buckethead'? one of his songs..i believe its 'welcome to buckethead land' or soemthing, has an intro and outro that is much up of chickens just making their weird calls and stuff. funny song.

as for that..umm, try reading the lamments written for 'gilgamesh'. he was a king from about 6000 years ago soemthing. when he died, people wrote really long eulagies and stuff that is quite impressive considering it was written that far back.
----

-Zakk Wylde
09.12.2006 - 10:42
eximius

what do you think metal will evolve in?
I allways joke with my friends about some gipsy metal
there are a lot of types of metal,
some, my opinion , are idiotic, and others are just
09.12.2006 - 18:10
Soliloquy

Written by eximius on 09.12.2006 at 10:42

what do you think metal will evolve in?
I allways joke with my friends about some gipsy metal
there are a lot of types of metal,
some, my opinion , are idiotic, and others are just

i honestly dont think that metal can evolve into anything any more. simply coz there are so many genres out there, that mixing them can itself become soemthing new. for example, playing heavy/black metal can become soemthing new. somthing like folk/classical/viking metal can be soemthing new. we have millions of 'lone' genres, and then we have billions of combinations of genres as well.
----

-Zakk Wylde
09.12.2006 - 21:04
eximius

we will live to see that ... till then let's enjoy what we have, rock on
10.12.2006 - 07:06
joaquin

well do listen chopin and bach they are realy good ill try to mix some of those stuff with my band
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
30.12.2006 - 10:15
Isabelle
Account deleted
Classical music, to me, is just as enjoyable as metal, and i think it's mainly because both genres have a vital strengh of their own. On one hand, metal for its innovation and experimental outbreak within the world of rock music, and classical for having founded the very basis to melody and marvelous instrumental harmony to which all current genres owe their lineage. It is amazing to see how music has changed over the ages, and hard to imagine what it will sound like a thousand years from now. My personal classical favorites include Mozart, who, even at his time, had created a controversial style within the genre. People back then did not know what to make of his music. They didn't know whether to call it brilliant or completely insane. Think of his music being the metal of the age, though more precisely perhaps, the "speed" metal of the age, people argued at the time that his music had "too many notes" and that "the ear can only bear so much in one sitting". They did not know he was simply a genius.
31.12.2006 - 18:47
Soliloquy

Written by Guest on 30.12.2006 at 10:15

Classical music, to me, is just as enjoyable as metal, and i think it's mainly because both genres have a vital strengh of their own. On one hand, metal for its innovation and experimental outbreak within the world of rock music, and classical for having founded the very basis to melody and marvelous instrumental harmony to which all current genres owe their lineage. It is amazing to see how music has changed over the ages, and hard to imagine what it will sound like a thousand years from now. My personal classical favorites include Mozart, who, even at his time, had created a controversial style within the genre. People back then did not know what to make of his music. They didn't know whether to call it brilliant or completely insane. Think of his music being the metal of the age, though more precisely perhaps, the "speed" metal of the age, people argued at the time that his music had "too many notes" and that "the ear can only bear so much in one sitting". They did not know he was simply a genius.

actually, the mozart thing applies to most 'gutiar gods' of today as well. guitar gods like Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, (call Li-dragon force, Buckethead, Romeo-symphony X and others, 'gods' if you like) are known for their insane speeds and incredible shreding/sweeping techs. how ever, it is malmsteen who should/could be blamed for being the soul reason why Grunge and other rock genres began. speed in guitar/music bores people becuase too many notes has the same meaning as 'too much of soemthing is bad enough'. each/every note starts losing its value. where as, when played slow, every note has its own meaning, and life. therefore people always say 'fast is shit' and 'slow is emotional' even if that is not true. like if you listen to 'for the love of god' by steve Vai. sure, the song is incredibly FAST, but has its amazing slow parts as well. people are just stupid for following trends and fashion stuff.
----

-Zakk Wylde
19.02.2007 - 05:11
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Does anyone like contemporary classical music? I mean, composers like Zbigniew Preisner
I discovered recently his music and it's really amazing. I'd like to know other contemporary composers as well, do you have any recommendations?
----

Sensorium - Epica
27.02.2007 - 23:28
darksun

Classical music is the root of every contemporary music.Indeed,all musicians have to love classical music as it has a great effect on every genre and it makes the basic of real music.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
10.03.2007 - 07:53
Icewings
La Luna
Hello , thank you for all your comments trully appreciate it and well Indeed Classical music is the root of so much things we see today , after all all music is connected . I wanted to recomend The planets they are a classical fusion band and I love what they do , here's the website http://www.theplanets.org.uk/ Hope you enjoy them as much !
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
17.03.2007 - 03:55
Empress

Though there are many classical artists I enjoy Georg Friedrich Handel being one of them there is a lot about classical music I dislike as well. I'm not real fond of the chamber style music, it's too boring.

What I really enjoy is Classical Guitar...now this is more my style. Like Christopher Parkening...here is a guy who takes things like "Prelude for the Lute" by JS Bach and rearranges it for guitar...beautifully done. Virtuoso guitar or Mediterranean style from artists like Pavlo or Robert Michaels is also some of my favs.
22.04.2007 - 03:14
Susan
Smeghead
Written by The Alchemist on 19.02.2007 at 05:11

Does anyone like contemporary classical music? I mean, composers like Zbigniew Preisner
I discovered recently his music and it's really amazing. I'd like to know other contemporary composers as well, do you have any recommendations?

Yes! Lately I've discovered several American contemporary composers that I'm really enjoying. I'm a singer so these composers of course write vocal music and/or opera also. Check out Lee Hoiby, Jake Heggie, and Joseph Schwantner to start with.

Joseph Schwantner you'd probably love - he has many great orchestral pieces and writes for wind ensembles and chamber ensembles as well as as ballet! He writes some really grand music as well as employing minimalist ideas too.

Lee Hoiby primarily writes classical vocal music and opera; I believe Leontyne Price has recorded several of his songs. He also writes chamber music.

Jake Heggie is also a contemporary American opera composer, although much younger than Hoiby. His work has just started premiering in the last few years but at places like the Met and Houston Grand Opera. In addition to opera he's written TONS of beautiful songs and a cello concerto!

If you're looking for some more "out there" music try George Crumb. He writes some very avant-garde chamber and solo music.

Enjoy contemporary classical music!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
22.04.2007 - 04:04
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Susan on 22.04.2007 at 03:14

Written by The Alchemist on 19.02.2007 at 05:11

Yes! Lately I've discovered several American contemporary composers that I'm really enjoying. I'm a singer so these composers of course write vocal music and/or opera also. Check out Lee Hoiby, Jake Heggie, and Joseph Schwantner to start with.

Joseph Schwantner you'd probably love - he has many great orchestral pieces and writes for wind ensembles and chamber ensembles as well as as ballet! He writes some really grand music as well as employing minimalist ideas too.

Lee Hoiby primarily writes classical vocal music and opera; I believe Leontyne Price has recorded several of his songs. He also writes chamber music.

Jake Heggie is also a contemporary American opera composer, although much younger than Hoiby. His work has just started premiering in the last few years but at places like the Met and Houston Grand Opera. In addition to opera he's written TONS of beautiful songs and a cello concerto!

If you're looking for some more "out there" music try George Crumb. He writes some very avant-garde chamber and solo music.

Enjoy contemporary classical music!!

Thanks for your recommensations Lyrinan, I'm going to check them out.
Oh, and other great american composer is John Williams, though I've only heard Harry Potter soundtrack, and it's great!
----

Sensorium - Epica
30.04.2007 - 11:34
FOOCK Nam

I have a little hate to classical music because people arround me suppose that classical music is the smart/clever/intelligent, and its the type of music for intellectual. And of course thats why in their eyes, metal is inferior music. They are very proud that they listen to classical. Also in science research, they suppose that people who listen to classical music, their brain can be improved more intelligent. Im a bit irratiated for that. I think Metal and other music have same standing position. In contrary, another research science reveals that most people who are into classical also tried at leat one times for drug

The difference and same between metal and classical IMO are the same role and basical diff of violin and guitar. And for guitar it sound distortion and cracked. I dont know what word refering to violin sound. But to sum up, I like the sound of distortion guitar better.
30.04.2007 - 19:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Jet: What they are telling you is more incorrect...during the classical era, classical works were being composed by and for people of all classes in Vienna...many people who listened to classical music during that period did not contain a high degree of intellect...the contextual analysis of classical music over the centuries has indeed become quite muddled and people need to research their philosophies and opinions if they choose to live by them day to day...there are a lot of people who listen to classical music who are very stuffy, close minded and stuck up but they aren't all like that...they should respect metal because the heavy metal genre respects classical music...
30.04.2007 - 20:06
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Well, if people think that classical music is better than metal, that's their problem, just if they don't criticize metal and complain about stupid things, such as noise.
Anyways, classical music is indeed great, and many good things that people say about it are true
----

Sensorium - Epica
08.05.2007 - 17:53
FOOCK Nam

@Kap'N Korrupt, I agree, and I dont mean to offend classical music listener.

Classical music is stuff of tradition, IMO thats why it is more appreciated/evaluated here. But I know it wouldnt be the conflict with metal.
And metal combined with classical harmonicly