Metal Storm logo
Classical Music

Original post

Posted by Icewings, 22.05.2006 - 02:56
Well as you might know , I love and respect music to the fullest ... I think that classical music is one of the most important types of music , thanks to them many forms and kind of notation develope , and well the influences even in modern music are clear ..I think classical music is amazing .. and well I love the all from early early classical music to modern , I think there's great composer :Mozart,Vivaldi,debussy,Monteveri in others ...

So let's discuss your opinions on classical music ..
31.05.2007 - 22:31
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2
05.06.2007 - 16:26
Elodie Artour
Slania
Classical music rules!

I like Mozart and Mussorgski.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
05.06.2007 - 22:03
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Antonin Dvorak - New World Symphony...but especially in the performance of Rhapsody in The Wizard's Last Rhymes
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.06.2007 - 21:34
Elodie Artour
Slania
I adore Evanescence's performance of"Lacrymosa"!
----
20.06.2007 - 10:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elodie Artour on 06.06.2007 at 21:34

I adore Evanescence's performing of"Lacrymosa"!

But ITS not a classal music and even tahy perform it its still more 'metal' how classical music
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.06.2007 - 19:17
Elodie Artour
Slania
I didn't mean it was a classical piece.But it's just based on a such one.
----
22.06.2007 - 14:47
Ernis
狼獾

Where can I hear that....I love Mozart's Requiem....it's one of the best pieces of musical art in world....
@K7....metal and classical can be connected....
22.06.2007 - 18:31
Elodie Artour
Slania
On the new Evanescence album.

Or on last.fm.(For example.)
----
25.06.2007 - 13:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 22.06.2007 at 14:47

Where can I hear that....I love Mozart's Requiem....it's one of the best pieces of musical art in world....
@K7....metal and classical can be connected....

I agree about it because some metalheads listen classical music too, maybe not in 80tis but nowdays yes, moustly doom, gothic fans listen it
----

apos;'
[image]
25.06.2007 - 19:49
RavenLord
I love classical music. I've been exposed to it from a young age, but it was only about a year ago that I reignited my passion for it. The sheer variety and scope of classical music is unparalleled, even by metal.

Classical music, you see, can be whatever you want it to be. Composers like Beethoven and Stravinsky really paved the way for modern rock and metal, with their heavy use of thick chords and jarring rhythms (Stravinsky's ballet 'The Rite of Spring' caused a riot on its first night, in 1912, and Beethoven began writing loud music because he became deaf!).

On the other hand, Mozart, Paganini and Vivaldi all display a great fluency and vibrancy in their music, which has influenced the more virtuostic guitarists like Alexi Laiho, Malmsteem etc. It should come as no surprise that Jason Becker covered Paganini's Caprice, or that Bodom covered the Presto from Vivaldi's Winter (?) in a training video.

It can also be very emotive. Listen to Holst's 'The Planets', and you'll see the influence it had on Hans Zimmer's use of epic melody in his film scores...this really influenced artists like Epica and Nightwish, while Wagner's humongous 'Ring of the Nibelungs' (TWELVE DISCS LONG!) had a profound effect on Therion's music.

Unfortunately, many of these artists fail to combine the classical and metal side of things perfectly...too often, the guitars are put in as an afterthought. One band which manage to escape this are Tristania; many of the lyrics of the choral sections on 'Word of Glass' are taken from Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana', while sections of 'Beyond the Veil' focus more on older oratorios, Gregorian chants and Mozart's 'Requiem'.

As I said, variety is the key in classical music. Even single pieces can vary enormously; Beethoven's Sonata #8 (Pathetique) opens with a heavy, fast first movement, before moving into a much calmer, mellow second movement. In Holst's 'Planets', the aggression and anger of Mars is juxtaposed with the beauty and relaxation of Venus.

Some of the following composers are ones I enjoy;
Beethoven
Bach (J.S. particularly)
Mozart
Carl Orff
Wagner
Edward Elgar
Gustav Holst
Samuel Barber (Adagio For Strings is sheer brilliance)
Edvard Grieg ('Notturno' especially)
Hans Zimmer
Igor Stravinsky
Prokofviev
Shostakovitch
Ennio Morricone
----
25.06.2007 - 20:44
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
@RavenLord: Wow! you really know both Classical and Metal!! interesting analysis man
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
25.06.2007 - 22:21
Ernis
狼獾
I'm after hearing a rather fine mixture of metal and opera.....Aesma Daeva's new album "Dawn of New Athens" bears a track called "D'Oreste"...a metal interpretation of Electra's aria from Mozart's opera "Idomeneo".....this is awesome....I really like the band...and this is one of the best songs I've heard of them.....
25.06.2007 - 22:46
Pinusar
Account deleted
Classical music-quite interesting. I like it although I sometimes get bored of the more traditional violin, cello etc. sound. I like music which has interesting instruments. I haven't listened to classical music very much lately but I just listened to a compostion by Mussorgsky and then Beethoven. Both were very nice to hear for a change. I especially liked Musorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Gnomus, it had a rather interesting sinister sound which was quite low, I liked.
25.06.2007 - 23:43
Ernis
狼獾
Here's video of Melissa Ferlaak of Aesma Daeva singing "D'Oreste" in live...she's "super fucking metal"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuSirIomyu0
03.07.2007 - 19:40
villain
I've heard some Chopin ans I like it
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
07.07.2007 - 15:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by villain on 03.07.2007 at 19:40

I've heard some Chopin ans I like it

ewery body who is into classical msuic shood know him
Here ppl ususl learn such subjetc 'music' in school only damn classmates didnt alowed enjoy me classical music lessens
----

apos;'
[image]
08.07.2007 - 13:01
Ernis
狼獾
Chopin is romantic composer....I don't like romantic music very much....sometimes it's boring to hear and it's hell of difficult to play...I studied piano and I rather disliked romantic music....I had to play tenderly in one moment and another moment with a slight change in force....I amn't that sensitive....
I prefer classical music(Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven), baroque and medieval.....these styles are clear and strong....more logical as well....Bach is bloody hard to learn but when you have managed to learn a fugue then it'll be very enjoyable to play it....
08.07.2007 - 14:05
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Ernis on 08.07.2007 at 13:01

Chopin is romantic composer....I don't like romantic music very much....sometimes it's boring to hear and it's hell of difficult to play...I studied piano and I rather disliked romantic music....I had to play tenderly in one moment and another moment with a slight change in force....I amn't that sensitive....
I prefer classical music(Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven), baroque and medieval.....these styles are clear and strong....more logical as well....Bach is bloody hard to learn but when you have managed to learn a fugue then it'll be very enjoyable to play it....
Yeah, Toccata & Fugue in Dm is awesome, and sounds awesome on electric guitar when you play it in the right way, also mozart's Turkish March, Grieg's Hall of the mountain King and many others can be succesfully played on electric guitar.
I've even heard a theory (some spanish classical guitar player said it on his concert), that Bach did many "covers" of songs of his time that he heard, of unknown autors, and that Toccata actually seems to be initially composed on guitar, by some spanish or portugal dude..... I dont know if its true, Im not expert at all...
----
08.07.2007 - 14:16
Ernis
狼獾
Quote:
Written by Stalker on 08.07.2007 at 14:05

Yeah, Toccata & Fugue in Dm is awesome, and sounds awesome on electric guitar when you play it in the right way, also mozart's Turkish March, Grieg's Hall of the mountain King and many others can be succesfully played on electric guitar.
I've even heard a theory (some spanish classical guitar player said it on his concert), that Bach did many "covers" of songs of his time that he heard, of unknown autors, and that Toccata actually seems to be initially composed on guitar, by some spanish or portugal dude..... I dont know if its true, Im not expert at all...

Perhaps Bach chose a guitar tune indeed....but this toccata in it's original composed shape couldn't be played on guitar...see....it's polyphonic...it has four...if not more lines...and it's meant to be played on the organ...organ can produce various sounds.....I played a fugue in C-major...extremely enjoyable were the "stretto" sequences....places where all the four lines(yeh, I played four lines with my two hands...hell of a bodybuilding..at least for me)came together...like...you start with one tune and the other tune comes some seconds after it and then follows the third and then the fourth....these were extremely difficult to master but very interesting and beautiful too...
08.07.2007 - 14:24
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Ernis on 08.07.2007 at 14:16

Perhaps Bach chose a guitar tune indeed....but this toccata in it's original composed shape couldn't be played on guitar...see....it's polyphonic...it has four...if not more lines...and it's meant to be played on the organ...organ can produce various sounds.....I played a fugue in C-major...extremely enjoyable were the "stretto" sequences....places where all the four lines(yeh, I played four lines with my two hands...hell of a bodybuilding..at least for me)came together...like...you start with one tune and the other tune comes some seconds after it and then follows the third and then the fourth....these were extremely difficult to master but very interesting and beautiful too...

Well, yeah, of course, the guitar wersion wuold be much simplier than organ/piano. And this dude ( I dont remember his name, my uncle was on his concert), he plays classical guitar and some other medieval string instruments, so he probably knows what he's speeking.
----
09.04.2009 - 20:26
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
I personally love classical music. So it's great to see so many people loving it as well. Why do I like it? Because it's simply beautiful, that's why. I don't care whether it's only piano or big orchestrations, I like it all. Whether it be simple or lush, I love it. Hard to explain why exactly but I've always loved music and this is just one form of it I love. It's just pure beauty in the form of music, methinks.

And what do I like? Well, some more known composers and also some lesser known ones. For example of the more known ones I like Louis Moreau Gottschalk because I think his music is plain gorgeous. Then there are also many many lesser known gems.
10.04.2009 - 00:52
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Guest on 09.04.2009 at 20:26

It's just pure beauty in the form of music, methinks.

Yeah, I can only agree. And it's not like other music isn't beautiful. it's just different. It's not like you could headbang while listening to Mozart.

I must say that when I was younger I listened much more to classical music, well, then I didn't know metal and in general I was used to listen to random stuff on the radio. There was a lot from Vivaldi, oh, and I still love "The Four Seasons". Beethoven, Mozart, Paganini... can't even remember. I wonder where are my CDs now.
However, now I listen more to stuff which is alike classical music - for example an instrumental track from some metal band played by only piano... or violin (those two are my favourite instruments in this music). I could mention "Who Is Hiding" by How Like A Winter. Simply beautiful.
10.04.2009 - 01:01
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
Well yeah I didn't say other music isn't beautiful, if you look at my profile you can see I listen to a lot of different music.

But yeah, classical music is indeed heavenly. Love it. Always have, always will.
10.04.2009 - 01:10
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Guest on 10.04.2009 at 01:01

Well yeah I didn't say other music isn't beautiful, if you look at my profile you can see I listen to a lot of different music.

But yeah, classical music is indeed heavenly. Love it. Always have, always will.

Well I didn't say you said something like that.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I was forced to listen to this kind of music at the beginning - my sister went to Music school while I was having my Art school. And you know, the practising at home when you're in Music school is actually MUCH louder than if you go to an Art school. I hated my sister for that, though I learned how to play the piano even more.
10.04.2009 - 02:33
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 10.04.2009 at 01:10

Written by Guest on 10.04.2009 at 01:01

Well I didn't say you said something like that.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I was forced to listen to this kind of music at the beginning - my sister went to Music school while I was having my Art school. And you know, the practising at home when you're in Music school is actually MUCH louder than if you go to an Art school. I hated my sister for that, though I learned how to play the piano even more.

Well I thought since you quoted me you were referring to me. Must have misunderstood you then. Whatever.

Anywayz, I'm learning piano too, but very very slowly. I'd love to be able to play my favorite composers one day.
10.04.2009 - 06:59
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Guest on 10.04.2009 at 02:33

Well I thought since you quoted me you were referring to me. Must have misunderstood you then. Whatever.

Anywayz, I'm learning piano too, but very very slowly. I'd love to be able to play my favorite composers one day.

but at least yo're learning, and even though you're going slow, ifyou have the discipine then one day you'll be able to play them. me, on the other hand, also want to learn to play piano, but right now i lack both the time and money to start getting lesson. plus, i know i don't have the discipline it takes. couple of years ago i started to try out guitar but... yeah, no discipline at all
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
10.04.2009 - 16:46
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
Written by tulkas on 10.04.2009 at 06:59

Written by Guest on 10.04.2009 at 02:33

but at least yo're learning, and even though you're going slow, ifyou have the discipine then one day you'll be able to play them. me, on the other hand, also want to learn to play piano, but right now i lack both the time and money to start getting lesson. plus, i know i don't have the discipline it takes. couple of years ago i started to try out guitar but... yeah, no discipline at all

Yes, tulkas, you are right, discipline is important when learning to play an instrument though I must admit I was never disciplined really...what I do have is passion though, so that helps a lot. I am always short of money as well, so I have to study piano on my own, which is not as hard as it sounds...I have some music books and I hope I have at least a bit of natural talent so we'll see if I learn anything...and I'm sure, tulkas, that you'll get around to studying an instrument one day, whenever you'll feel like it. And I'm sure you'd be very good at it as I can see from reading your posts that you're a passionate person, and at least I think, the passion for music kinda compensates for the lack of discipline, which I lack as well. That's just what I think. So, in any case, tulkas, all the best wishes to you in this area!
11.04.2009 - 01:52
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Guest on 10.04.2009 at 16:46

Yes, tulkas, you are right, discipline is important when learning to play an instrument though I must admit I was never disciplined really...what I do have is passion though, so that helps a lot. I am always short of money as well, so I have to study piano on my own, which is not as hard as it sounds...I have some music books and I hope I have at least a bit of natural talent so we'll see if I learn anything...and I'm sure, tulkas, that you'll get around to studying an instrument one day, whenever you'll feel like it. And I'm sure you'd be very good at it as I can see from reading your posts that you're a passionate person, and at least I think, the passion for music kinda compensates for the lack of discipline, which I lack as well. That's just what I think. So, in any case, tulkas, all the best wishes to you in this area!

thanx for your wishes and good stuff yu said about me i hope they come true, hehe
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
11.04.2009 - 09:52
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Art of Fugue by J.S.Bach(Goebel)
12.04.2009 - 11:39
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Stalker on 08.07.2007 at 14:05

Man I worship Toccata & Fugue.. That's the most amazing classical piece of art I've ever heard. Even more than Eine Kline Nachtmusik and Turkish March by Mozart or Fur Elise by van Beethoven.

So you like Toccata & Fuque, I recommend you to listen to Tanzwut's version.. I liked it so much. In fact I become their fans by this album, Schattenreiter which begins with a Industrial/Medieval cover of Toccata & Fugue.