Metal Storm logo
Classical Music

Original post

Posted by Icewings, 22.05.2006 - 02:56
Well as you might know , I love and respect music to the fullest ... I think that classical music is one of the most important types of music , thanks to them many forms and kind of notation develope , and well the influences even in modern music are clear ..I think classical music is amazing .. and well I love the all from early early classical music to modern , I think there's great composer :Mozart,Vivaldi,debussy,Monteveri in others ...

So let's discuss your opinions on classical music ..
13.04.2009 - 11:55
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Hamird on 12.04.2009 at 11:39

Written by Stalker on 08.07.2007 at 14:05

Yeah, Toccata & Fugue in Dm is awesome, and sounds awesome on electric guitar when you play it in the right way, also mozart's Turkish March, Grieg's Hall of the mountain King and many others can be succesfully played on electric guitar.
I've even heard a theory (some spanish classical guitar player said it on his concert), that Bach did many "covers" of songs of his time that he heard, of unknown autors, and that Toccata actually seems to be initially composed on guitar, by some spanish or portugal dude..... I dont know if its true, Im not expert at all...

Man I worship Toccata & Fugue.. That's the most amazing classical piece of art I've ever heard. Even more than Eine Kline Nachtmusik and Turkish March by Mozart or Fur Elise by van Beethoven.

So you like Toccata & Fuque, I recommend you to listen to Tanzwut's version.. I liked it so much. In fact I become their fans by this album, Schattenreiter which begins with a Industrial/Medieval cover of Toccata & Fugue.

OK man, Ill look up for it
----
25.06.2009 - 01:57
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I've never heard classical music (a whole album) until a friend of mine gave me an album of Bach. i have to say that it has some nice moments. basically i dont have time to listen to it but from the litle i've done it i believe that sometime i am surely going to stick with it even a bit...!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
25.06.2009 - 09:10
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Deadmeat on 25.06.2009 at 01:57

I've never heard classical music (a whole album) until a friend of mine gave me an album of Bach. i have to say that it has some nice moments. basically i dont have time to listen to it but from the litle i've done it i believe that sometime i am surely going to stick with it even a bit...!

If you really liked it, I say listen to Antonio Vivaldi. In my opinion he's better than J.S. Bach. Of course Bach is a legend and I like his music so much, but I personally like Vivaldi because his music is heavier than Bach.
But while you're listening to Bach, be careful not to miss Toccota and Fugue, Air, Badinerie and Adagio... They're great.
25.06.2009 - 09:24
tulkas
el parcero
I always recommend Wagner, specially if you like it a bit heavier. Sure, Bach and Vivaldi were incredible too, but in my book Wagner is still on top. The other composer I recommend as well is Chopin, specially his piano compositions.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
25.06.2009 - 10:20
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
So I'll tell you exactly what i liked the most to reccomend me the best!

i have a 2cd from Bach called Helmut Walcha and what i liked the most was the song Hamrd told me Toccata and Fugue ("in D minor" as it also says!).

generally in classical music i like the moments when the melodies are a bit aggresive and insane!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
25.06.2009 - 11:16
Hellkommando
I am fairly fond of classical music (opera too) I especially like Wagner's works.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
25.06.2009 - 11:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by tulkas on 25.06.2009 at 09:24

I always recommend Wagner, specially if you like it a bit heavier. Sure, Bach and Vivaldi were incredible too, but in my book Wagner is still on top. The other composer I recommend as well is Chopin, specially his piano compositions.

Huh, in Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, that guy introduced Wagner as the original root of Metal. There are some interesting things about him. As I've read in a book, he wrote his notes with different colors. He also was infamous for his antisemitism ideas.

Chopin's piano compositions are incredible. I like his Funeral March so much (the one that WWE wrestler, The Undertaker, has chosen for his entrance music theme).
25.06.2009 - 21:57
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Hamird on 25.06.2009 at 11:54

He also was infamous for his antisemitism ideas.

Yes. I believe in fact that was one of the reasons why Hitler chose his music for the Nazi movement. I saw on a show about Wagner that he used to write papers, that weren't very good, but that, like you said, were full of antisemitism, sayin in one that the best thing the jews could do was kill themselves.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
25.06.2009 - 23:27
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 25.06.2009 at 09:10

If you really liked it, I say listen to Antonio Vivaldi. In my opinion he's better than J.S. Bach. Of course Bach is a legend and I like his music so much, but I personally like Vivaldi because his music is heavier than Bach.
But while you're listening to Bach, be careful not to miss Toccota and Fugue, Air, Badinerie and Adagio... They're great.

I disagree totally to what you're saying - Vivaldi better than Bach? Maybe you need to listen to some more Bach. The way I see it, compared to Bach, Vivaldi seems an amateur. I suggest Bach's Branderburg Concerto or his organ works.

My favourite composer is Serghei Rachmaninoff - his piano concertos are outstanding (especially 2 and 3) as well as his rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

Chopin - the nocturnes especially are essential to anyone that enjoys classical music.

Mozart, Beethoven and Ceaikovski are excellent as well.

Beethoven's piano works are my favourite.
26.06.2009 - 01:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 25.06.2009 at 23:27

I disagree totally to what you're saying - Vivaldi better than Bach? Maybe you need to listen to some more Bach. The way I see it, compared to Bach, Vivaldi seems an amateur. I suggest Bach's Branderburg Concerto or his organ works.

I know about Bach and I've listened to many of his works (including Brandeburg concerto), but I just mentioned my personal opinion. Iron Maiden is named as the best Metal band here, but I personally think Black Sabbath is better than them.. What's really wrong with it?
26.06.2009 - 02:28
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 26.06.2009 at 01:54

Written by Guest on 25.06.2009 at 23:27

I know about Bach and I've listened to many of his works (including Brandeburg concerto), but I just mentioned my personal opinion. Iron Maiden is named as the best Metal band here, but I personally think Black Sabbath is better than them.. What's really wrong with it?

Don't take this so personally, I just said that I disagree to your opinion, that's all. I respect your opinion even though i think otherwise. If I sounded disrespectful, I apologize.
26.06.2009 - 02:34
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 26.06.2009 at 02:28

Don't take this so personally, I just said that I disagree to your opinion, that's all. I respect your opinion even though i think otherwise. If I sounded disrespectful, I apologize.

No problem man, we're talking, I know. In fact you was a little bit disrespectful to Antonio Vivaldi, not me.. But that's right. Everyone has it's own opinion..
30.06.2009 - 01:22
I like Howard Shore.
30.06.2009 - 20:32
Smurfophagist
You can't just say classical...I mean it's stupid. You have so many different sides to that. Not only compositions for different instruments (classical isn't all about orchestral music), it's much more complicated it has....several 'subgenres' ,if you will.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
01.07.2009 - 01:19
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Smurfophagist on 30.06.2009 at 20:32

You can't just say classical...I mean it's stupid. You have so many different sides to that. Not only compositions for different instruments (classical isn't all about orchestral music), it's much more complicated it has....several 'subgenres' ,if you will.

Actually it's not stupid at all - everybody accepts the term classical music for the symphonic music and its subgenres (17-19 century).

3 a: of or relating to music of the late 18th and early 19th centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation b: of, relating to, or being music in the educated European tradition that includes such forms as art song, chamber music, opera, and symphony as distinguished from folk or popular music or jazz - or so says Webster's dictionary.

Sorry to be a prick but wouldn't it have been better if you told everyone the composers you enjoy listening to? Everyone else did that...
01.07.2009 - 03:20
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
I enjoy classical music, mainly it's relaxing and very emotive, it can tell so many stories without words. My favourite composer is Gustav Holst mainly for his Planets Suite, I first heard Mars, Bringer Of War off a tape my lent me and it really struck a chord with me...

I also enjoy Mozart, Vivaldi, and Wagner, not obsessively but some choice pieces like the seasons and whatnot
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
01.07.2009 - 18:39
cmusiclives
Account deleted
Classical music is a must for every musician studying any genre of music....listening to a lot of sibelius lately
01.07.2009 - 19:25
Smurfophagist
Written by Guest on 01.07.2009 at 01:19

Written by Smurfophagist on 30.06.2009 at 20:32

Actually it's not stupid at all - everybody accepts the term classical music for the symphonic music and its subgenres (17-19 century).

3 a: of or relating to music of the late 18th and early 19th centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation b: of, relating to, or being music in the educated European tradition that includes such forms as art song, chamber music, opera, and symphony as distinguished from folk or popular music or jazz - or so says Webster's dictionary.

Sorry to be a prick but wouldn't it have been better if you told everyone the composers you enjoy listening to? Everyone else did that...

Ok. my favorite guitar composers are Fernando Sor and John Dowland, don't know if I can call Peter Nutall classical, Nikita Ko?kin.... other are Antonin Dvorak, Stravinsky, Rahmanjinov....
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
20.08.2009 - 01:08
wormdrink414
elite
"I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland." - Woody Allen

I am almost strictly a Mozart man although I have been known to go to Brahms during some of my unbearably romantic moods.
23.08.2009 - 02:31
Vent
As a cellist, I love all the loud, low, double stopped stuff. I get really tired of stuff like Brahms though... I find it really restricting to play, but nice to listen to. prokofiev's dance of the knights is the best.piece.ever.written.
24.08.2009 - 10:12
wormdrink414
elite
Written by Vent on 23.08.2009 at 02:31

As a cellist, I love all the loud, low, double stopped stuff. I get really tired of stuff like Brahms though... I find it really restricting to play, but nice to listen to. prokofiev's dance of the knights is the best.piece.ever.written.

I usually turn to Brhams just before I go to bed. While in a masochistic state I will play anything else on my itunes while attempting to sleep. Behemoth + rest = error. Insert any non Brhams musician/composer into that equation and the answer remains the same.
24.08.2009 - 19:10
Vent
Written by wormdrink414 on 24.08.2009 at 10:12

Written by Vent on 23.08.2009 at 02:31

I usually turn to Brhams just before I go to bed. While in a masochistic state I will play anything else on my itunes while attempting to sleep. Behemoth + rest = error. Insert any non Brhams musician/composer into that equation and the answer remains the same.

Vaughan Williams will solve all your problems!!!!
12.09.2009 - 22:22
Dolffy
Account deleted
I think that atonal compositions are just as import musically as "tonal" works. Until Schoenberg pioneered the genre, it was essentially nonexistent.
11.03.2010 - 09:16
renai
Yes, classical is the other style that I found to have that 'bombastic' elements, just like metal. But technically Classical music is another story compared to other style. They know more in composition and not only base on random inspiration and write in with perfect pitch.

Classical composers trend is to start with fairly unknown output but reaching peak over his age. Something like Beethoven with his late output (Symph. no9, Late string quartet ) but his early year debut is fairly no need to mention. This is because they are musically educated, they can easily access other composer idea and developt it over the year.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
06.03.2011 - 14:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Piano Concerto no.2 by Camille Saint-Saens. Composed in 1865. Great piano-centered piece clocking around 20 minutes. Showcase of piano prowess. The first part entitled "Andante Sostenuto" is especially amazing.

----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.03.2011 - 08:10
Mikyz
I agree classical music is undoubtedly the most grandiose type of music, when it overwhelms you then you know that it has done its job, other than the big names like Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Vivaldi, Bach and whatevs I'm now really into Franz Schubert, Franz Ferdinand, and George Frideric Handel.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
07.03.2011 - 22:07
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I am a little ashamed to admit this, but I haven't listened to classical much in the last years. I used to listen to more of it back when I was 11 or so years old and was a member of a choir. The biggest thing we ever performed was J.S.Bach's Johannes Passion, which sparked my interest in Bach and he is my favourite composer of all time, no contest. I absolutely love Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi, Richard Strauss, Haydn, Wagner, Debussy, Handel and others, but Bach is in a league of his own. As somebody else said: "When angels play for themselves, they play Mozart, when they play for God, they play Bach." His cantata "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme", better known as "Sleepers Wake" is the most beautiful piece of music ever written. I especially love this version:

16.03.2011 - 16:34
Is it me or some metal bands have copied some Mozart Requiem parts?
16.03.2011 - 16:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by consign2oblivion on 16.03.2011 at 16:34

Is it me or some metal bands have copied some Mozart Requiem parts?

It's a known fact that all musicians, not just ones within the metal scene, take influence from and even use classical music in their songwriting process. Sometimes it's only a few seconds, a minute - sometimes it's a carbon copy of the original version as an intro or interlude or outro...you name it.

And there's a reason why. While I don't necessarily like classical music, I definitely understand its complexity. Musicians this day and age simply cannot create anything that outdoes the majesty of classical music.

For instance, The Beatles are considered a "classic band". On the metal side of things, people hear "classic band" and think Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin for hard rock...

Now compare any of their songs to say...something written by Beethoven? Bach? Rachmaninoff? Vivaldi? Dvorak? The list goes on, and modern musicianship continues to pale in comparison.

/rant
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.03.2011 - 17:13
Yes! Well, I have to confess that I listened that metal stuff before listening to Mozart's requiem, but the thing is I think that's something really interesting and wonderful in the way that those metal musicians show, in some way, their admiration for classical music.
What's more, if you have notes in your head, music, songs, it's quite difficult to avoid them in your composition, I think.

Oh, other issue, my teacher is studying at conservatory; she is not metalhead, so she is really surprised that there are lots of metalheads studying at conservatory. The connection is clear =)