02. Rulers Of The Mind
03. Watching The Skies
04. State Of Paralysis
05. The Encounter
06. Mark Of The Triangle
07. Dark Waters
08. Different Worlds
09. Misled

This is a miracle - progressive metal band that doesn't sound like Dream Theater! Rare thing these days... 'In Search Of Truth' is the concept album with the main theme dealing with the 'X-Files' stuff, except after this album the 'X-Files' would look like a childish fairy-tale or some kind of a parody. Now, believe me, it takes a lot of talent to turn such thing as alien abduction into something this serious and deep.

Thomas Englund has the most emotional voice I've ever heard. His vocal range is really impressive - from quiet and estranged to rough and aggressive, it reflects everything with frightening convincebility. In 'Different Worlds' you can hear the whole emotional depth, despair and insecurity of the main character, who was abducted by aliens and now is trying to find the truth - no one believes him, no one understands him, he can't sleep at nights being scared of darkness, scared of light as well... Hell, you actually begin to believe all this stuff!

Every song is a highlight here - I can't even tell which songs are better than the other ones. And all of them are full of fresh ideas and perfect in their complexity. The album incorporates a lot of symphonic elements - orchestral background, choir and operatic vocals. All this creates a majestic but still very dark atmosphere. Add here also unbelievably good piano parts and you will get the picture. Undoubtedly the best Prog album of the year.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Ivan | 17.09.2003

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 191 users
04.03.2007 - 21:52
marillionfan
Account deleted
A brilliant concept album. Here we have an original prog-metal band with a distictive sound. one of my favourite albums ever.

Great review BTW.
05.03.2007 - 09:31
Rating: 10
Jason W.
Razorbliss
In terms of straight out progressive metal, this is my favorite CD - I haven't been disappointed since I started listening to it upon its release! So, obviously, I agree with this review
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
06.03.2007 - 03:12
Bitch Boy

I love especially the lyrics, I love concept albums and, as Ivan said, something kind of stupid as aliens, can be turned into something really intelligent. Obviously the music is amazing, this is the best Evergrey album I think.
08.04.2007 - 16:43
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
I will have to suffice that this album is my favorite Everygrey album. I can hardly listen to some of the other albums without mild discomfort. This CD is so beautiful and not only is his voice the subject of diversity but the music itself is very deep and vibrant with plenty of solo interludes and other effects. I listen to almost every genre of rock and metal and this album ranks on the same echelon of musical masterpieces.
10.07.2007 - 23:24
Shelobina
Account deleted
This album is the one i like the most from Evergrey. From the moment i heard it i couldn't stop listening it. I cannot decide which is better,the music or the lyrics. The both have such energy and power i have never heard before!
It is truly a beautiful album..
26.05.2008 - 02:29
Rating: 9
juanopereira

I discovered Evergrey becauso of this album and it's one of my favorites. Excellent band and album.
24.02.2011 - 02:45
BlankFile

Altough im not a big fan of the band in general, i must say that this album is pure magic. The lyrics are astounding, full of emotion and despair and the music is amazingly well composed, especially the keyboard parts wich creates a deep and somehow obscure environment. This is a spectacular and creative achievement for sure from a band that is a bit inconsistent. But this album is an exception for sure!
25.02.2011 - 15:53
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by BlankFile on 24.02.2011 at 02:45

Altough im not a big fan of the band in general, i must say that this album is pure magic. The lyrics are astounding, full of emotion and despair and the music is amazingly well composed, especially the keyboard parts wich creates a deep and somehow obscure environment. This is a spectacular and creative achievement for sure from a band that is a bit inconsistent. But this album is an exception for sure!

Was just contemplating the keyboard parts myself and how awesome they are, shame Karlsson left to do his own thing and join Soilwork.
12.11.2018 - 21:17
BlankFile

It still sounds amazing, 17 years later. Emotional, profound, astounding record for sure.

Hits total: 8125 | This month: 14