03. Liber Stellae - Rubaeae
04. In The Name Of Amun
05. What Should Not Be Unearthed
06. Evil To Cast Out Evil
07. Age Of Famine
08. Ushabti Reanimator
09. Rape Of The Black Earth
10. To Walk Forth From Flames Unscathed

Oh poor Egypt, you used to shine so bright in the Arab world. Now even Nile cries for you. When they could have used a shoulder to cry on themselves after releasing At The Gate Of Sethu.

It's almost inevitable to fall into the trap of writing a comparative essay when reviewing an album by a group of such stature, whose fans are certainly eager to love/hate the new output compared to older material. Your expectations for this review are understandable, even if they're pushing me towards a less passionate and entertaining kind of writing. But I'm a people pleaser, I'm not going to retain information. The answer to the question I can read in your mind is "yes, it's better".

The production was the first thing I pricked my ears for on this eighth album. Gone is the paper-thin, guitar-lite, cardboardy-drums production of What Should Not Be Unearthed's predecessor. The band itself talks about having the best recording/production atmosphere in the studio in years, and it definitely shows. I don't know what is responsible for this shift - I have my money on scented candles and bubbly - but keep it coming. Some could say the sound is almost too loud and/or saturated this time; I would say it's at least more balanced. The result is not only a rise in the technical quality of the opus, but also in the overall brutality. Or at least the appearance of it. You can get into berserker mode much easier if you're riding into battle in a papier-mâché Humvee rather than in a papier-mâché Fiat Panda, know what I'm saying?

Otherwise, no big surprise. You all know what Nile sounds like. We are here in the presence of the usual ten tracks either introduced or separated by the short Egyptian-themed moments that helped the band make their mark in the metal world. The aforementioned interludes are now shorter and less numerous, as if the will to make this album as brutal as possible pushed out a portion of the eerie introductions to make room for more... bang bang. But fear not, Colonel Sanders and friends haven't completely forgotten their adopted Egyptian roots and influence. And that gong is sounded often enough in case you wanted to bitch state otherwise.

One more clue which makes me near certain that Nile manufactured this release with the intent of surpassing the precedent level of sonic violence is the lack of ten-minutes-long tracks. It is partly due to the reduced space allocated to the exotic oriental musical goodness, although I would also bet on a clear choice in songwriting: the objective must have been to write shorter, faster, more powerful songs. On the one hand it definitely helps the album be more enjoyable and cohesive; but on the other hand it also makes the record look like a compact unit made of songs that try too hard to be hit singles. I would personally buy a compilation of ten versions of "Lashed To The Slave Stick" or "Cast Down The Heretic" right on the spot if it existed, but unfortunately, we haven't been blessed with songs as good as that in What Should Not Be Unearthed.

However, I wouldn't want to sound like an ungrateful and overly demanding fan. There are plenty of moments in this latest offering to warrant at least a listen. The intro riffs to "Liber Stellae - Rubaeae" and "Evil To Cast Out Evil", as well as the end to "To Walk Forth From Flames Unscathed" are just too good to overlook in my opinion. Albeit being balanced with flaws - like the forced, unnatural and repetitive diction of the lyrics on some of the songs - memorable segments are in good number, especially if you're a newer fan.

I myself would say I fall into the "older" fan category - whatever that means - and despite how fair I am trying to be with What Should Not Be Unearthed, I can't deny that I haven't been swept off my feet like I was on that summer night in 2006 when I first met Nile, via Annihilation Of The Wicked. But hey, new Nile is better than no Nile at all, which is actually better than ATGOS Nile.

Let's just hope that the dark skies over Egypt will clear soon enough. I would hate for Nile to have to mourn the losses of the culture they have tried to make us discover for so long. In the meantime, take this:

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written by Ilham | 26.08.2015

Comments

Comments: 46   Visited by: 430 users
26.08.2015 - 14:50
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Quote:

We are here in the presence of the usual ten tracks either introduced or separated by the short Egyptian-themed moments that helped the band make their mark in the metal world. The aforementioned interludes are now shorter and less numerous, as if the will to make this album as brutal as possible pushed out a portion of the eerie introductions to make room for more... bang bang.

I guess that's what's made me really lose interest in the band over their past three or so albums. It feels as if in their modern incarnation Nile have shifted more towards straight up technical/brutal death metal and really lost touch with that excellent sense of mood and ambiance that really defined their sound in the first place. Perhaps the band themselves see that stage of their songwriting as being over, but for someone like me, who pretty much listened to their albums in straight chronological order, it just feels as though they're not living up to their former magnificence.

*I DID go sailing on the pirate ship about a week ago and got a few full listens of this new one. It IS definitely better than ATGOS... but not TOO much better, unfortunately.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
26.08.2015 - 15:31
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 26.08.2015 at 12:14

Cool review as always. Entertaining yet informative.

As to the album, only heard that one track and it sounded good!

Thanks deadone! Don't hesitate to come back with your opinion on the full album!
Written by Auntie Sahar on 26.08.2015 at 14:50

I guess that's what's made me really lose interest in the band over their past three or so albums. It feels as if in their modern incarnation Nile have shifted more towards straight up technical/brutal death metal and really lost touch with that excellent sense of mood and ambiance that really defined their sound in the first place. Perhaps the band themselves see that stage of their songwriting as being over, but for someone like me, who pretty much listened to their albums in straight chronological order, it just feels as though they're not living up to their former magnificence.

*I DID go sailing on the pirate ship about a week ago and got a few full listens of this new one. It IS definitely better than ATGOS... but not TOO much better, unfortunately.

Yep, we agree on both your points. I think I remember reading a promo statement saying that with this album is supposed to be a return to a AOTW-like sound, and that the three albums after AOTW were meant to be some kind of exploration of different facets of what Nile is; but instead we ended up with three unbalanced albums (at different degrees each time), and now a much less varied, less "moody", weaker and too compact AOTW-2. Sad kinda. But again, it's better than ATGOS, and that's very important .
26.08.2015 - 17:30
Kass
Account deleted
At The Gate Of Sethu is a solid album.
26.08.2015 - 20:19
garmling
Account deleted
It has some nice moments (In The Name Of Amun or What Should Not Be Unearthed), and it's better than its predecessor, but it's nothing special.... They've lost that Egyptian touch (aka Masturbating The War God or The Dream Of Ur) which made them so famous... pity for them, I can still listen to Black Seeds Of Vengeance or Annihilation Of The Wicked
26.08.2015 - 23:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Guest on 26.08.2015 at 20:19

They've lost that Egyptian touch (aka Masturbating The War God or The Dream Of Ur) which made them so famous... pity for them, I can still listen to Black Seeds Of Vengeance or Annihilation Of The Wicked

Don't forget In Their Darkened Shrines
Their best, if you ask me... and Tony Laureano will forever be a more versatile drummer than Kollias
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.08.2015 - 00:15
TheShadow
I still think this is all lunacy. And ironic, considering the new album was written specifically for the fans who bitched and moaned about the intentional experimental amazements found on ATGOS. Fans bitch when the production is clean and the songwriting is insanely technical, then they bitch when the production is back to brutality and the riffs are a bit simpler but catchy as hell. So....this is why public opinion should be ignored when a band is in a recording studio. They want the same album again and again. To hell with that.

As for the shit in this thread that the last three albums are taking....WOW. Either it's a case of being deaf or having such a shitty stereo that you cannot hear the details. Sethu, Detest, and Ithyphalic were empty of mood and ambience than previous albums? Seriously??? LMAO. Those were all track after track of middle eastern vibes (half the time in the riff itself, like the new Evil To Cast Out Evil track), or in the acoustics (half the time mixed in with the brutal electric guitars themselves), or in the actual interludes.

It all comes down to personal preference....but holy shit. One of the greatest death metal bands....EVER, deserves far more respect than they've been given and are currently getting.
27.08.2015 - 00:21
Malignar
Written by Guest on 26.08.2015 at 20:19

It has some nice moments (In The Name Of Amun or What Should Not Be Unearthed), and it's better than its predecessor, but it's nothing special.... They've lost that Egyptian touch (aka Masturbating The War God or The Dream Of Ur) which made them so famous... pity for them, I can still listen to Black Seeds Of Vengeance or Annihilation Of The Wicked

I think they are limited too much by the theme. I can only imagine what they could create if they didn't have to stick to "Egyptian" sounding guitar scales. Maybe they should drop the name for a "side project" and just completely drop the theme and see what kind of chaos they can come up with. This release sounds pretty good but I'm tiring of the theme the similar sounding riffs and vocals over the years.
27.08.2015 - 02:59
garmling
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 26.08.2015 at 23:51

Don't forget In Their Darkened Shrines
Their best, if you ask me... and Tony Laureano will forever be a more versatile drummer than Kollias

agree about that... won't go into drummers styles, but there's something missing here...... I'm not the musician, just an painter

Written by Malignar on 27.08.2015 at 00:21

I think they are limited too much by the theme. I can only imagine what they could create if they didn't have to stick to "Egyptian" sounding guitar scales. Maybe they should drop the name for a "side project" and just completely drop the theme and see what kind of chaos they can come up with. This release sounds pretty good but I'm tiring of the theme the similar sounding riffs and vocals over the years.

might be a solution, they're very capable musicians, but that style made them famous....they are unique, just need to raise it to another level imo!
27.08.2015 - 03:48
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wait, so Nile has/had egyptian elements after all?
I always would check a random song to see if it had but always thought it was bland death metal...

Which album has those influences the most?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.08.2015 - 04:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Karlabos on 27.08.2015 at 03:48

Wait, so Nile has/had egyptian elements after all?
I always would check a random song to see if it had but always thought it was bland death metal...

Which album has those influences the most?

DUUUUDE... shame on you
Nile have been (or were rather) one of the more creative and innovative forces in death metal, for sure. Particularly because of their blend of Eastern influences into their music, not always just in terms of the scales and chord progressions they use, but also in terms of actual folk instruments on occasion as well. Listen to the first three albums, Black Seeds Of Vengeance and In Their Darkened Shrines especially are the ones that show it off most, I would say.

Yes, I am a huge Nile fanboy. That's part of why I've been so disappointed with their more recent material
----

~ II. VII
27.08.2015 - 14:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
As Nile flows forever same direction since days when true Gods of Egypt rules, same this band sounds same , and its good, but I wish it would be BM band not DM
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.08.2015 - 21:21
Rating: 7
Opethian
Written by TheShadow on 27.08.2015 at 00:15

I still think this is all lunacy. And ironic, considering the new album was written specifically for the fans who bitched and moaned about the intentional experimental amazements found on ATGOS. Fans bitch when the production is clean and the songwriting is insanely technical, then they bitch when the production is back to brutality and the riffs are a bit simpler but catchy as hell. So....this is why public opinion should be ignored when a band is in a recording studio. They want the same album again and again. To hell with that.

As for the shit in this thread that the last three albums are taking....WOW. Either it's a case of being deaf or having such a shitty stereo that you cannot hear the details. Sethu, Detest, and Ithyphalic were empty of mood and ambience than previous albums? Seriously??? LMAO. Those were all track after track of middle eastern vibes (half the time in the riff itself, like the new Evil To Cast Out Evil track), or in the acoustics (half the time mixed in with the brutal electric guitars themselves), or in the actual interludes.

It all comes down to personal preference....but holy shit. One of the greatest death metal bands....EVER, deserves far more respect than they've been given and are currently getting.

Its like you read my mind! Well said! A lot of tone deaf fans on here. I can't wait to get this album tomorrow
28.08.2015 - 00:08
Neoxx07
Nile started to run out of ideas after the Annihilation of the Wicked album. although Those Whom The Gods Detest was a great album.
28.08.2015 - 01:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by TheShadow on 27.08.2015 at 00:15

Peoples' tastes are their tastes, it's not always a matter of being an elitist or bitching or anything, you like what you like. I'm a HUGE nerd for ancient history, specifically that of the Middle East. Back in high school, the first four Nile albums are what I fell in love with, due to both their excellent musicianship as well as (and this was the big selling point) the epic, Eastern-tinged ambiance created on them that made them immersive, creative, and unquestionably distinct from the rest of the death metal pack.

Fact is, the band just aren't doing that anymore, and I just don't care for their new formula (TWTGD to present). I feel as though the focus now is more on technicality and brutality, and that thus the very particular sense of atmosphere that made me love the band in the first place is gone. It's not a matter of wanting the same album again and again and again. Realistically, ATCONK, BSOV, ITDS, and AOTW... none of them sound too similar. The all have the same general "mood," yes, but each nonetheless has its own individual "style," so to speak. So really, I don't care if the band change things up a little, but there is a particular approach of theirs that I nonetheless prefer over others, and if it's not there, I'm not overly enthusiastic about their music.

PS: anyone who says that they don't care if the sound of a band they love changes is bullshitting. With stuff you REALLY enjoy and grow attached to, you'll always be at least a little disappointed when it changes. It's human nature.
----

~ II. VII
28.08.2015 - 06:53
Ruinous
Great Review.

Production and previous album comparisons aside, one of the biggest interests for me with this release is the change in where some of the lyrics are coming from.
The new political flavor in trying to bring attention to, or to at least express their dismay at what is happening in Egypt right now, as opposed to the familiar Egyptian mythology.
As mentioned in the review the meandering atmospheric intros and links are very toned down in this release, which makes me feel like Nile is angry, more angry than usual and time is of the essence as humanity's relics are being defiled.

Art reflects the world around us and Nile has been inspired into protest. I support this
Bang your damn heads
28.08.2015 - 14:32
toxx
Supreme being
Listening right now, and it's nothing new. Nothing really exciting. Production is okay, and the technicality is as it usually is with Nile. But far from their best release. Dare I say that this is a tad bit boring? It has its moments, but still.
29.08.2015 - 19:41
Traezeus
Good review. I'll be checking this one out, even though their last effort did nothing but make me lose hope for the band. Those Whom the Gods Detest was their last great album in my opinion. I don't know why but I really liked that album. Will reserve my judgement for this one until I give it a few listens.
01.09.2015 - 13:21
Rating: 10
smarc78
I kinda agree and disagree with all of the above. Let me just say if every current new death metal album was as mediocre as Nile's last I would be very happy man. maybe thats why i am still old school death metal guy... majority of my listing time goes to all death metal production of early '90 Death - Human, individual..., Gorguts, Cynic, Atrocity, Pestilence, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary. Of the late I really dig for new Gorguts, Nile, Origin, Omnihility...

Nile is splendid - from album to album they explore and dig deeper then ever. I love the sound balance, textures and clarity at each and every register. Plenty of heavy metal riffing and plenty of solid death riffing. great usage of each motive to the tasteful balance. Well since I got this CD i have listened to it about 100 times including right now.

from my understanding Nile has had lots of fun doing this and the humour they change atmosphere ;-) Track 9 3:30 transition is humorous, very light yet solid. Nile reminds me of Beethoven - joking yet serious. I am so happy bands like Nile exist.

the gentleman on this forum said "boring". Let me say that this music goes so naturally that I recall the "caaaallllllll... and then there is the track #10 end motive... too soon"

Cheers and all the best!!!
----
myspace.com/eventually3
01.09.2015 - 14:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by smarc78 on 01.09.2015 at 13:21

I kinda agree and disagree with all of the above.

I don't agree nor disagree. In fact it's the very opposite.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.09.2015 - 07:39
Butters49
Seems like you didn't enjoy it very much, for a 7 rating.

I do not think I can ever not enjoy a Nile release.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
02.09.2015 - 08:08
smarc78

Ilham whatever you have problem with... honestly? Performance 8? quad-tracking only 8? Songwriting 6 - have not noticed DMB, Bach and Beethoven as your fav... says a lot about your standards; originality 5 - in comparison to what? Nile or Death Metal in general? Production 7... what? clarity in each register thru the whole CD... man you have serious issues.

Out of all bands you mentioned there are few that can make 2 songs in their whole portfolio to stand out... Nile has at least 10! Only Death has all of them.
----
myspace.com/eventually3
02.09.2015 - 10:48
Zap
Yeah, Ilham, clearly you know nothing about death metal if you don't even list Beethoven as one of your favorites.
02.09.2015 - 11:30
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Zap on 02.09.2015 at 10:48

Yeah, Ilham, clearly you know nothing about death metal if you don't even list Beethoven as one of your favorites.

What the hell Zaph. You blew my cover.
02.09.2015 - 11:38
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by smarc78 on 02.09.2015 at 08:08

Ilham whatever you have problem with... honestly? Performance 8? quad-tracking only 8? Songwriting 6 - have not noticed DMB, Bach and Beethoven as your fav... says a lot about your standards; originality 5 - in comparison to what? Nile or Death Metal in general? Production 7... what? clarity in each register thru the whole CD... man you have serious issues.

Out of all bands you mentioned there are few that can make 2 songs in their whole portfolio to stand out... Nile has at least 10! Only Death has all of them.

Usually I would have answered a post like this with an actual explanation. But you seem to think there is a correlation between my favourite bands and the way I scored this album. So that fist tells me that you didn't do the obvious thing, which is to look for clues inside the actual review to understand my ratings. It also tells me that you would discard whatever justification I could come up with because your reasoning implies I an not fit to rate a Nile album.
02.09.2015 - 11:44
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Butters49 on 02.09.2015 at 07:39

I do not think I can ever not enjoy a Nile release.

A 7 rating means exactly that I enjoyed it.
02.09.2015 - 12:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

A 7 means that the release is considered to be good. So, I am pretty sure she enjoyed it or else she wouldn't have rated it a 7.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2015 - 23:21
Zap
I think he means that the review seems to give off the impression you didn't enjoy it, whereas the rating contradicts that. I noticed/thought that too, but I just ended up ignoring the rating.
03.09.2015 - 03:30
Ilham
Giant robot

Is this vvv what you meant?

Written by Zap on 02.09.2015 at 23:21

I think he means that the review seems to give off the impression you didn't enjoy it, whereas the rating contradicts that. I noticed/thought that too, but I just ended up ignoring the rating.

In that case the explanation is simple. I assumed most people knew what is good about Nile in general, and since this album is not deviating from the usual formula (do they ever even?), I tried to put the emphasis on the comparison with the previous efforts, because the difference lies in the details. Otherwise I'd just be describing almost every Nile album. I do think the review is generally positive though. I was already at 750+ words, and thought saying it was enjoyable and much better than the previous release would be enough. Hope this clears it.
03.09.2015 - 04:25
smarc78
Written by Ilham on 02.09.2015 at 11:38

Written by smarc78 on 02.09.2015 at 08:08

Usually I would have answered a post like this with an actual explanation. But you seem to think there is a correlation between my favourite bands and the way I scored this album. So that fist tells me that you didn't do the obvious thing, which is to look for clues inside the actual review to understand my ratings. It also tells me that you would discard whatever justification I could come up with because your reasoning implies I an not fit to rate a Nile album.

Honestly and really nothing personal here. I dont think you are fit to comment on Nile or any death metal judging by your way of looking at the things. But it comes with education... I personally hated Beethoven when I studied at conservatory up to one moment - i listed to Beethoven played by Glenn Gould - that changed my life.

well back to you - you dont need to like Nile's songs or originality - yet not being able to pay credit where the credit is due is childish. Maybe you dont understand the compositions thus you dont like it... hence the poor rating. you probably did not like Cynic's Focus and Gorgut's Errosion too.

Production and Performance - well if you are not able to pay credit here that you are just a self pity troll.

Again nothing against your personal taste but to be nonobjective troll - on metal storm?!?! come on you can do better!

What Should Not Be Unearthed is one of the best death metal concept albums in all history let alone this year. How can you not recognize the parts that are not based on the personal taste is beyond me.

In my student days we used to call music critics failed "wanna bes", we still call them that
----
myspace.com/eventually3
03.09.2015 - 08:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
"Nothing personal" - Goes immediately personal on the comments.

What a pompous joke of a comment. That's not who it works, buddy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 11282 | This month: 26