Metal Storm logo
Progressive Metal Bands for People Who Hate Prog

27.08.2015 - 14:13
Ganondox

Not saying that you'll hate them if you love prog, but these are bands that don't take themselves too seriously and frequently avoid prog cliches that turn people away from the genre like overly long, unstructured songs with pretencious lyrics. Basically any band that can keep a good fun rock n' roll attitude. For example:

Prog Bands for People who love Prog:
Dream Theater
Rush
Ne Obliviscaris
Aryeon
Opeth
Between the Buried and Me

Prog Bands for People who hate Prog:
Devin Townsend Band
Porcupine Tree
Toe Hider
Coheed and Cambira
Mastodon (post-Crack the Skye)
Tarby

I gave some non-metal bands in the list, but I'm looking more for metal bands, not just neo-prog bands with some metal influence. Many bands like Tool or Savatage I'm not quite sure if the belong in this category, so I'd also like some thoughts on those. If you personally hate prog but like some bands labled as progressive, feel free to share them.
27.08.2015 - 16:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Kekal.

and Subterranean Masquerade.

and Dreadnought.

Basically everything that is not based on technicality but rather on songwriting will have my like.
Hey, you should make a list. It'd be more fun. With pictures, cookies, hookers and stuff
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.08.2015 - 16:53
Risto
Wandering Midget
Time to promote the uprising of our local prog metal scene, as there are several bands who meet your criteria.

Anthriel (progressive/power)
Cønstantine (progressive/heavy), Resign Due
Pressure Points (progressive/death), False Lights
Nerve End (progressive/industrial)
Skein (metalcore/progressive)

Pressure Points songs are long but relatively coherent in terms of prog.
28.08.2015 - 12:08
Ganondox

Written by Guest on 27.08.2015 at 17:23

At least spell it correctly lol. It's Ne Obliviscaris.

Fixed. I do like the band, I personally do not hate prog, lol.
28.08.2015 - 12:59
slim pickings
Account deleted
The thread title is confusing to me, shouldn't it be "progressive metal for those who dislike this prog subgenre". When people mention the word "prog" I'm thinking of all progressive music (starting late 60s - until nowadays) with all its subgenres. There's plenty to like and plenty to dislike
29.08.2015 - 10:17
Ganondox

Written by Guest on 28.08.2015 at 12:59

The thread title is confusing to me, shouldn't it be "progressive metal for those who dislike this prog subgenre". When people mention the word "prog" I'm thinking of all progressive music (starting late 60s - until nowadays) with all its subgenres. There's plenty to like and plenty to dislike

But I WASN'T referring just to progressive metal, the stereotype is for prog in general, regardless if it actually has any truth in a particular subgenre.
29.08.2015 - 15:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Karlabos on 27.08.2015 at 16:15

Hey, you should make a list. It'd be more fun. With pictures, cookies, hookers and stuff

In fact, forget the list and pictures.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.08.2015 - 19:19
Zap
Written by deadone on 29.08.2015 at 14:52

Other than Opeth and Mastodon's last album, I at least dislike all the bands you mention.

To me "Prog for People Who Don't Like Prog" is more stuff like Nevermore, Blind Guardian etc. i.e they have some prog but also other influences dominate more.

I really don't see how Blind Guardian has any prog in it. Nevermore, sure, but Blind Guardian?

Also, I'd say Opeth are a far more popular band among non-prog-lovers than most of the ones under "Prog Bands for People who hate Prog"
29.08.2015 - 20:50
Lethrokai

Written by Ganondox on 27.08.2015 at 14:13

Toe Hider

FINALLY someone else who loves Toehider!

Tarby

I should have guessed you'd say that from your image. I don't know why I'm surprised.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
29.08.2015 - 20:55
Lethrokai

Anyway I'll probably give some names in a bit. Just a bit too tired to think of them right now...
----
30.08.2015 - 01:26
strade

As someone who unapologetically loves Coheed and Cambria, calling them prog at any stage of their career is a pretty big stretch. They may have four or five songs that I would legitimately give that label.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
30.08.2015 - 03:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Hahaha, this thread spoke right to me! I tend to have a very strange relationship with prog metal, because I'm a huge sucker for old school prog rock (the classic 70s shit mostly), but I feel as though its legacy isn't often tapped into a lot in modern prog metal. There are many bands of the such that you describe today, with the unstructured songs, pretentious lyrics, and (my biggest turn off) high pitched, very weepy vocals. And honestly, those bands don't really make me think "progressive" at all, at least not in the sense that the godfathers such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator, The Soft Machine, etc. do.

The bands that DO tap into that legacy, however, and show a considerable influence from it in their sound... 90% of the time I fucking love em. The recommendations of Subterranean Masquerade and Dreadnought are highly seconded, but I would also suggest Atomic Ape, Hail Spirit Noir, and Los Random as well. And hell, even modern Enslaved can get into some good Pink Floyd worship at points too, which is always fun if it doesn't feel like TOO much of an emulation (which with them it doesn't).
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.08.2015 - 23:12
Opethian

Is Devin Townsend playing Prog nowadays ...

If you are getting into his Solo material, then i would highly recommend 'Accelerated Evolution'. Dude shines on that album.
31.08.2015 - 07:58
Doge of Venice

You could argue Dev still writes prog - he writes pop metal like no other, pushing and merging the boundaries, and he also just wrote a sci-fi metal musical, which was pretty progressive. I mean, hes definitely progressive in his writing - he has released many different kinds of albums recently, but the songs themselges may not be 'progressive'.

I would say Bend the Sky. Its symphonic prog that is heavily djenty... But its instrumental! So no worrying about hideous vocals. Keyboards ooze with atmosphere and mood building.

I would also say Omb, but i can barely understand how their songs flow that i think most people would just think its a mess.

I dunno, is the OP talking about the genre that is labelled Prog or is he talking about actual progressive music? Stuff that expands and explores and doesnt stick to the now fairly standard prog formula?
31.08.2015 - 08:15
Ganondox

Written by M C Vice on 29.08.2015 at 15:05

In fact, forget the list and pictures.

So you want some cookies and hookers? Sorry, but I ate all my cookies yesterday, and I'm fresh out of hookers a well.

Written by Zap on 29.08.2015 at 19:19

Written by deadone on 29.08.2015 at 14:52

Other than Opeth and Mastodon's last album, I at least dislike all the bands you mention.

To me "Prog for People Who Don't Like Prog" is more stuff like Nevermore, Blind Guardian etc. i.e they have some prog but also other influences dominate more.

I really don't see how Blind Guardian has any prog in it. Nevermore, sure, but Blind Guardian?

Also, I'd say Opeth are a far more popular band among non-prog-lovers than most of the ones under "Prog Bands for People who hate Prog"

I'll add Nevermore once I get around to making a list (which will be after I actually get a chance to listen to other bands that people have listed), they definately fit, but you're right, Blind Guardian isn't prog, just power. Some of there songs are rather long and complex though.

Opeth might be popular among non-prog-lovers, probably because the extreme metal influence (plus the fact they are one of the most popular progressive metal bands period), but structurely they are extremely prog. The fact their last two albums have been straight up 70's style proggressive rock is just the icing on the cake. So I'm not looking for bands that actually are most popular among non-prog fans (after all many of these bands are pretty obscure and thus probably only known by prog fans), but if structurely they ought to be more accessible than most prog bands.

Written by Lethrokai on 29.08.2015 at 20:50

Toe Hider

FINALLY someone else who loves Toehider!

Tarby

I should have guessed you'd say that from your image. I don't know why I'm surprised.

And the same to you! More suprised that you know who Tarby is. Are you a brony?

Written by strade on 30.08.2015 at 01:26

As someone who unapologetically loves Coheed and Cambria, calling them prog at any stage of their career is a pretty big stretch. They may have four or five songs that I would legitimately give that label.

I consider that they have blended pretty much ever subgenre of rock (including prog and metal) to the point they are just a plain old rock band. Anyway, wikipedia calls them progressive rock in paragraph (and I've heard it in some of their songs myself), so that works for me.

Written by Opethian on 30.08.2015 at 23:12

Is Devin Townsend playing Prog nowadays ...

If you are getting into his Solo material, then i would highly recommend 'Accelerated Evolution'. Dude shines on that album.

I did specifically list DTB, not DTP, so his mid-career stuff. Accelerated Evolution was actually the last album I got, and I gave it a perfect 10/10.
31.08.2015 - 11:40
Zap
Written by Ganondox on 31.08.2015 at 08:15

Opeth might be popular among non-prog-lovers, probably because the extreme metal influence (plus the fact they are one of the most popular progressive metal bands period), but structurely they are extremely prog. The fact their last two albums have been straight up 70's style proggressive rock is just the icing on the cake. So I'm not looking for bands that actually are most popular among non-prog fans (after all many of these bands are pretty obscure and thus probably only known by prog fans), but if structurely they ought to be more accessible than most prog bands.

Then I missed the point of the thread.
I thought it was meant to be a list of prog metal bands that would appeal to people who generally don't like prog metal. Then Opeth would fit perfectly since even a lot of people I know that don't even like metal like Opeth.
31.08.2015 - 12:40
Lethrokai

Nah, I just have a bit of an obsession with looking into wherever I can to get a new take on music. Basically been through all the different fandoms looking for unique takes on the usual music (which is basically like searching for diamonds through shit... so much shitty EDM and dubstep... ), but occasionally you get some stuff that really catches you off guard, and makes the search feel worthwhile. Kreuhn is another one I found in that particular scene who has a really interesting proggy touch, though he only has a few songs, and I believe they're unlisted on Youtube now.

But yeah... though most creators for fandoms like that really just aim for the lowest common denominator, sometimes you get one particular artist who actually shines not only as a part of that community, but with an image which shines out even in the outer music scene.
----
01.09.2015 - 20:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
When I think about this, I immediately think of Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Green Carnation. So, I would recommend that. Those are also three of my favourite bands and I'm a prog fangirl.

So, I'm probably not the best person to answer that.

The best question is why would people hate prog?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.09.2015 - 20:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 01.09.2015 at 20:29

When I think about this, I immediately think of Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Green Carnation. So, I would recommend that. Those are also three of my favourite bands and I'm a prog fangirl.

PT wont work ... band I recoment is german band, well I posted in on FN Lex asked is it Canadian band, I told Ger one, cant remember name, one demo prog band, damn awesome , PM him and ask
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.09.2015 - 00:11
Lethrokai

Ok, yup, finally came up with the best one I could think of.

BENT KNEE

These guys are still an absolute underrated gem of a band in my eyes. Art rock with a progressive twist of lemon and who also know how and when to hit the heavy lines.
They also have such a good chemistry as a band.

EDIT: Also worth noting that, yes, I did put live videos up as a demonstration of this band. Their live studio recordings are phenomenal.
----
02.09.2015 - 01:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I don't hate prog, but for those that do...

Blindead

Thank me later.
----
rekt
02.09.2015 - 08:59
Ganondox

Written by Zap on 31.08.2015 at 11:40

Then I missed the point of the thread.
I thought it was meant to be a list of prog metal bands that would appeal to people who generally don't like prog metal. Then Opeth would fit perfectly since even a lot of people I know that don't even like metal like Opeth.

It's for people who generally don't like progressive rock in general, not progressive metal specifically (though progressive metal takes prog stereotypes up to 11 as Apothecary said), but I'm looking for more for progressive metal bands than other progressive bands. I think Opeth is so popular because they appeal both to progressive rock fans and to metal fans (who generally have a higher tolerance for gratuitous proggery than most people). Maybe I'm overstating how proggy Opeth is though because while I like some of their songs I never really got into them.

Written by Lethrokai on 31.08.2015 at 12:40

Nah, I just have a bit of an obsession with looking into wherever I can to get a new take on music. Basically been through all the different fandoms looking for unique takes on the usual music (which is basically like searching for diamonds through shit... so much shitty EDM and dubstep... ), but occasionally you get some stuff that really catches you off guard, and makes the search feel worthwhile. Kreuhn is another one I found in that particular scene who has a really interesting proggy touch, though he only has a few songs, and I believe they're unlisted on Youtube now.

But yeah... though most creators for fandoms like that really just aim for the lowest common denominator, sometimes you get one particular artist who actually shines not only as a part of that community, but with an image which shines out even in the outer music scene.

Completely agree. I do know Kreuhn from a couple compilation albums, the Sori 52 album features most of the other expirimenal brony artists like him. Really interesting stuff.

Written by Bad English on 01.09.2015 at 20:45

Written by BloodTears on 01.09.2015 at 20:29

PT wont work ... band I recoment is german band, well I posted in on FN Lex asked is it Canadian band, I told Ger one, cant remember name, one demo prog band, damn awesome , PM him and ask

Even though PT has many very proggy songs, the reason they work is because they also have many pop and hard rock feeling songs without sacrficing the artistry.
07.09.2015 - 21:59
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yo Ganon where's Baroness and Kylesa (Post Spiral Shadow)
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.09.2015 - 08:47
Ganondox

Written by Guib on 07.09.2015 at 21:59

Baroness I was a bit iffy about (more for stoner than progressive tendacies though), but since you think they fit I'll go with it, so yeah that'll work. For Kylesa, I'm not sure if they fit under the progressive metal umbrella.
08.09.2015 - 17:28
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Ganondox on 08.09.2015 at 08:47

Written by Guib on 07.09.2015 at 21:59

Baroness I was a bit iffy about (more for stoner than progressive tendacies though), but since you think they fit I'll go with it, so yeah that'll work. For Kylesa, I'm not sure if they fit under the progressive metal umbrella.

Nah for Kylesa you're probably right I was pushing it a little hahaha. But Baroness definitely.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.09.2015 - 10:24
trattorino2

I think of Kingcrow and Porcupine Tree , both focused more on songwriting than on showning off chops. I mean a song like this could appeal to every rock fan in general:
23.09.2015 - 10:26
trattorino2

25.09.2015 - 11:09
Ganondox

Just a note that I'm waiting on a router for my internet at home to make the list, once I get that making said list will be a priority.
26.09.2015 - 20:15
Ganondox

Kekal.

and Subterranean Masquerade.

and Dreadnought.

Basically everything that is not based on technicality but rather on songwriting will have my like.

Kekal (as much as it can be considered progressive metal rather than blackened trip hop metal) and Dreadnought are approved for the list, not sure about Subterranean Masquerade though. Any songs you think well shows their song oriented nature?
26.09.2015 - 20:51
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ganondox on 26.09.2015 at 20:15

Any songs you think well shows their (Subterranean masquerade) song oriented nature?

Basically the album Suspended Animation Dreams. Their newer album is indeed more proggy on the classical style (wankery). And if you searched on YT for random songs you probably just found songs of the last album =p
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei