Metal Storm logo
Cynic - Break Up Again (Update)

UPDATE: It seems like the Cynic's break up has turned to drama now as vocalist/guitarist Paul Masvidal has responded to drummer Sean Reinert's statement that the band was over. Paul Masvidal says that the band will continue one way or another and wasn't aware of this decision. The split seems far from amicable and we might have developments on this.

Here is Masvidal's post on Facebook:

To which Sean has already responded: "Instead of playing into the 'tit for tat' game of trying to defend any accusations of unscrupulous behavior on my part, with regards to the split of Cynic (Paul and I: Two people, Not three) would be childish. But he's caught in a lie below saying he can't post and I took over the page which is obviously not true. I'll leave it at that. I can't physically stop Paul from playing Cynic's music with other musicians, but it won't be Cynic, merely Paul playing Cynic songs with hired guns, which as stated he's wanted for a while. This isn't the way I wanted things to work out."

Original news, published on 10.09.2015: It has not been a smooth ride for Cynic as the band has called it quits again. The progressive metallers had already broken up before from 1994-2006. Sadly, after releasing their latest album Kindly Bent To Free Us last year, the band just revealed via Facebook that they are no more. It seems like there is some bad blood and personal differences that are hard to surpass. Cherish their albums and enjoy their music because unfortunately their upcoming live dates have been cancelled.

Drummer Sean Reinert explained: "It is with a heavy heart that I post today's Cynic news. Cynic is no longer an active band. Due to artistic and personal differences, the second chapter in the Book of Cynic has come to an end. I will say the last shows we played in Japan have left me with a positive charge, even though they were the last live performances with Paul, Sean Malone & I on the same stage. My longstanding creative partnership with Paul, which started when we were very young kids in south Florida, has simply endured so much friction that there is no way, from my perspective, that Cynic can be salvaged, repaired or kept afloat by any means.

"I profusely apologize to the fans who were not only expecting us in China & Taiwan (that was not our fault), but to the fans who were planning to see us in Europe next month. These things happen, unfortunately, to bands. There can be differing levels of conflicts and/or differences in opinions, musical directions, or perspectives. Sometimes these things are insurmountable, and no amount of time or effort can resolve them. This is the case with Cynic.

"This page will stay up, and of course there are our respective personal pages and websites that will continue to let everyone know what we're doing individually. I wish all of you love & peace.
"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Cynic
Posted: 11.09.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 29   Visited by: 261 users
10.09.2015 - 20:45
Lethrokai

Well, needless to say I'm saddened by the news.

Each of their albums was really something entirely of their own, and that's a quality you'll be hard-pressed to find in a lot of bands nowadays.

Nonetheless I wish them the best, and will probably keep following the members' individual projects anyway.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
10.09.2015 - 21:08
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Oh well, their latest album was weak. Maybe they just need another break.
10.09.2015 - 21:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
One of them realised how crappy the last album was and told the other guys?
----
10.09.2015 - 22:43
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I did not like anything since they put out since Traced In Air, so this does not hit me that hard. I'm pretty sure they still got potential but they should spend some more time working their ideas out.
----
11.09.2015 - 00:35
Lit.
Account deleted
I'll continue to worship Focus like I always did.
11.09.2015 - 04:57
Unhealer
Eclecticist
They have my attention now:

11.09.2015 - 05:15
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Unhealer on 11.09.2015 at 04:57

11.09.2015 - 05:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Hex_Omega on 10.09.2015 at 21:08

Maybe they just need another break.

----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.09.2015 - 05:44
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Hex_Omega on 10.09.2015 at 21:08

Maybe they just need another break.

Indeed. It might help them...focus.
11.09.2015 - 06:12
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Looks official to me.

Nevertheless, Cynic has its legacy and it'll be continued for ever.

On a side note - last album was absolute dump. Period.
11.09.2015 - 06:31
-Morbid-

While I love Focus and Traced in Air, I haven't much cared for anything since then, and I sorta felt that they were drifting from the type of stuff that made me like them before anyway, so while I don't see this as positive news or something, I'm hardly devastated.

Not pleased that it seems to be done in dramatic fashion though, if it is true that Reinert is springing it on them as a surprise. Will be interesting to watch I guess, but I've sorta felt like they would be better off under a new name for the stuff after Traced anyway.

A bit surprising though as Masvidal and Reinert seemed fairly close. Wonder what will happen with Aeon Spoke?
11.09.2015 - 08:36
smarc78

good man Paul. cant imagine world without Cynic
----
myspace.com/eventually3
11.09.2015 - 10:17
Lethrokai

Damn, sometimes I feel like "that one guy" having the opinion that their last album was bloody great. Highly different from Focus and Traced in Air but still with plenty to offer.

Also fuck me, drama's a-starting... Would've thought Cynic to be the last band which would go messy on breakup.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
11.09.2015 - 10:55
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker

Oh my... Looks like another drama. Cynic AD coming soon...
11.09.2015 - 11:39
MikeVonDoom

This seems like a consequence of unfinished affairs from a gay couple!...

And for those who doesn't know what I'm talking about, remember the recent news about both revealing themselves as a couple!
11.09.2015 - 11:59
Skyum

Written by MikeVonDoom on 11.09.2015 at 11:39

And for those who doesn't know what I'm talking about, remember the recent news about both revealing themselves as a couple!

They came out as two gay musicians, not as a couple. By the time they officially came out, Reinert was in a relationship with another guy.
11.09.2015 - 16:36
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by MikeVonDoom on 11.09.2015 at 11:39

And why does the "gay" part is any relevant here? They aren't a couple, but even if they were, you could just say "unfinished affairs from a couple".
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
11.09.2015 - 17:16
ylside

Childish facebook posts.
Instead of dealing with things directly like grown men.

And now, for a real track that should have been in Focus but was left out for who knows what reason. (who knows what treason, Ha ! please applaud)
11.09.2015 - 17:35
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Drama Drama Dramaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! ♪ ♪ ♪
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.09.2015 - 17:40
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Seriously, they are handling this like brats. I never expected such behavior from a band like Cynic.
11.09.2015 - 20:42
ylside

Hahahaha, clearly, children

Facebook war.

Kindly bent to make a facebook war.
11.09.2015 - 20:58
MelancholiaC

Man, seems like there has been miscommunication between the two of them for a very, very long time, at the end of which they probably couldn't even be in the same room with each other... On a personal level, I can understand where both of them are coming from; however, on a professional level, I do have to interject on Masvidal's behalf - the rest of the band should have been informed beforehand and an official statement should have represented the whole band/duo, no matter how divided, instead of unilaterally voiced by Reinert. It's also a shame to publicly play out a personal conflict like this - things may have been untenable between them, but no one outside could understand the whole situation, and this way fans start taking sides haphazardly, as a result both suffer further misunderstandings. We've seen this happen to bands time and again over the years (off the top of my head I can think of Nightwish with Tarja, and the drama with Solstafir earlier this year), it never ends well and I wish bands would learn from their peers to handle it better.

Instead of talking ABOUT each other over Facebook, how about trying to talk TO each other, purely professionally, and come to an agreeable business decision?

In any case, I think unfortunately we have a strong contender for Drama Of The Year...
11.09.2015 - 22:34
Opethian

Get with a band that wants to put out killer music. Last album was a letdown for me personally.
12.09.2015 - 18:08
Nimlot
A. Reader
Written by MelancholiaC on 11.09.2015 at 20:58

In any case, I think unfortunately we have a strong contender for Drama Of The Year...

Has my vote.
12.09.2015 - 22:46
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
That's what fucking your band mates gets you.
13.09.2015 - 03:34
MikeVonDoom

Written by Dark Forever on 11.09.2015 at 16:36

And why does the "gay" part is any relevant here? They aren't a couple, but even if they were, you could just say "unfinished affairs from a couple".

Dude I have no intention to be disrespectful! I was just saying... Even if they are not a couple, they're gay and there's nothing wrong with it!!!
13.09.2015 - 13:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by MikeVonDoom on 13.09.2015 at 03:34

Written by Dark Forever on 11.09.2015 at 16:36

Dude I have no intention to be disrespectful! I was just saying... Even if they are not a couple, they're gay and there's nothing wrong with it!!!

So, why mention it?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.09.2015 - 02:03
MikeVonDoom

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.09.2015 at 13:32

So, why mention it?

Because reasons! WTF do you want now???
14.09.2015 - 08:53
smarc78

Sean has come thru his share of issues in the past... he is excellent genius drummer but this is as childish as it can be. leaving fans high and dry? this is show business not a drama class
----
myspace.com/eventually3

Hits total: 4046 | This month: 5