Album: Aeons In Tectonic Interment
Style: Funeral doom metal
Release date: September 2015

01. Sunless Deluge
02. A Voice Given Unto Ruin
03. Preparation Of A Vessel
04. The Stygian Enclave
05. Bells Of The Black Basilica

If you're bent on getting into Finnish metal these days, it's impossible to fully do so without thoroughly exploring the depths of the country's burgeoning doom scene, and it's just that simple. And no, I don't mean Swallow The Sun-type doom, but that dark, dense, and abysmal brand that seems to be committed to nothing other than exploring the innermost realms of the human subconscious. Doom of the sort purveyed by Tyranny.

It's been ten years since we've heard any p̶e̶e̶p̶ howl from the massive force of funeral doom that is Tyranny, yet right from the beginnings of their sophomore effort, Matti Mäkelä and Lauri Lindqvist make it quite clear that virtually none of the band's potency has been lost in that time. Among the doom bands Matti has been involved with, Tyranny occupies an interesting position, being overall darker than Profetus, yet not quite as vicious as the now-defunct Wormphlegm. This unique sense of a middle ground runs all throughout Aeons In Tectonic Interment, with the album coming to excellently fuse the sound of crushing, uncompromising funeral doom with a hypnotic, almost dark ambient landscape that forms its underbelly. "Sunless Deluge" is perhaps the best example, starting as it does with oppressively menacing growls and riffs before taking a turn into some more otherworldly choir sounds and whooshing, organ-like effects.

Perhaps most notable, though, is the overall improvement in production that Tyranny are working with here. The band's Tides Of Awakening debut, while being quite good, also sounded rather murky and buried at points. On this album however, everything seems to be much cleaner and in the forefront, and it's not as difficult for one to make out all the various levels of the band's composition. In many ways this really makes this album a more pleasing listen, because since the music of Tyranny is indeed quite layered, being able to take it in a fuller grasp is ultimately much more rewarding.

After a considerable period of absence, one of the best bands that Finnish doom metal has to offer is back, and with a vengeance. Though it may sometimes appear to lag and get monotonous, it's really the blend of sheer heaviness with great atmosphere that helps to gives Aeons In Tectonic Interment its distinction, preventing it from being overly stale or redundant. Haunting, imposing, entrancing, and also darkly beautiful, this is an album that has quite simply revitalized Tyranny, while also making things look extremely promising for whatever future endeavors they may undertake.

Check out "Sunless Deluge" over here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 12.09.2015 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 191 users
12.09.2015 - 08:23
MelancholiaC

Intriguing review... I'm definitely going to check this one out, we'll just see how it fares against Skepticism's Ordeal on the same release date. It's been such a monumental year for funeral doom - Shape Of Despair and Ahab have already given testament to that for sure!

P.S. I also don't see what's wrong with enjoying Swallow The Sun - they play in a qualitatively different camp of doom, but that more melodic style eventually led me to these funereal territories and now I enjoy both ends of the spectrum. STS is releasing a monstrous triple album later this year, one of which will be funeral doom and my anticipations are high!
12.09.2015 - 13:00
Merchant of Doom

This is what Matti had to say about the album:

"The whole album is composed over the past 10 years, where as the previous ones were more or less in a short period of time, and more of a concept albums.
Where as here, each song is really their own entirety. Might seem as a bit unbalanced at first.
And I agree, this definitely means that the album as a whole will require quite a lot of more attention to really sink in.
Keywords are claustrophobic and unhinged."

Me: the album is awesome... 9/10...
12.09.2015 - 13:20
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Skepticism and Tyranny with new albums... now what we need is to Unholy and Dolorian to be back too. *.*
With Swallow the Sun releasing later this year too, what about a finnish bands doom tour?

"Just do it!"
12.09.2015 - 14:33
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by MelancholiaC on 12.09.2015 at 08:23

I also don't see what's wrong with enjoying Swallow The Sun - they play in a qualitatively different camp of doom, but that more melodic style eventually led me to these funereal territories and now I enjoy both ends of the spectrum. STS is releasing a monstrous triple album later this year, one of which will be funeral doom and my anticipations are high!

Not saying there's anything wrong with enjoying them, just that the type of doom that I'm talking about in Finland that's really been developing a lot lately is more so the dark, mysterious, and colossal kind. Bands like that have been popping up quite noticeably over the past decade and I definitely think they're in enough of an abundance, and have developed enough of a sound unique to the region for it to be called a scene. Not quite in the same league as Swedish death metal, or French black metal, but I would argue that it definitely has the potential to be. I'm talking about stuff like Horse Latitudes, Dark Buddha Rising, 0Xist, and Katakombi, among others. While they all really sound nothing alike, I do think there's an aura of intrigue and otherworldly atmosphere surrounding each band that is definitely starting to become a thing with some of the heavier brands of Finnish doom.

But yeah, the way I worded it did probably make me sound like a bit of a dick
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
12.09.2015 - 20:09
MelancholiaC

Written by Auntie Sahar on 12.09.2015 at 14:33

But yeah, the way I worded it did probably make me sound like a bit of a dick

No worries man! I didn't know you were talking about a regional scene (which I know very little about), without those examples I thought you were referring to doom in general. Do those bands all belong in the funeral doom pantheon? I'm surprised that I don't know any of them, being a doomster at heart! Any one of those bands in particular that you would recommend?
12.09.2015 - 21:05
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by MelancholiaC on 12.09.2015 at 20:09

No worries man! I didn't know you were talking about a regional scene (which I know very little about), without those examples I thought you were referring to doom in general. Do those bands all belong in the funeral doom pantheon? I'm surprised that I don't know any of them, being a doomster at heart! Any one of those bands in particular that you would recommend?

Actually none of them are funeral doom. But the "heavy, dark, mysterious doom aesthetic" I'm talking about is in all of them. Horse Latitudes are a really cool brand of doom with no guitar, two bassists, and a drummer who's also the vocalist. Very hypnotizing. Dark Buddha Rising are drone doom, sometimes really formless, but also sometimes really heavy, and with an amazing dark ambient edge. 0Xist are death doom, kinda darkly melodic. And Katakombi are a sort of psychedelic brand of death doom.

Of those four, as a huge drone fan I most prefer and would recommend Dark Buddha Rising. Really eerie, meditative band that have become a pretty dominant force in the Finnish doom underground.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
12.09.2015 - 21:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like your way whit a language
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.09.2015 - 21:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Bad English on 12.09.2015 at 21:30

Thank you, good sir
----

~ II. VII
12.09.2015 - 21:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Auntie Sahar on 12.09.2015 at 21:37

Written by Bad English on 12.09.2015 at 21:30

Thank you, good sir

you should change a pprefession, be proofreader on MS and write some book, do literature .... I can replace you as staffer :p
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.09.2015 - 22:05
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Man this album is gonna be released at my birthday.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.09.2015 - 22:33
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Maco on 12.09.2015 at 22:05

Man this album is gonna be released at my birthday.

Cool coincidence. Bell Witch was released on mine
----

~ II. VII
13.09.2015 - 01:01
MelancholiaC

Written by Auntie Sahar on 12.09.2015 at 21:05

Actually none of them are funeral doom. But the "heavy, dark, mysterious doom aesthetic" I'm talking about is in all of them. Horse Latitudes are a really cool brand of doom with no guitar, two bassists, and a drummer who's also the vocalist. Very hypnotizing. Dark Buddha Rising are drone doom, sometimes really formless, but also sometimes really heavy, and with an amazing dark ambient edge. 0Xist are death doom, kinda darkly melodic. And Katakombi are a sort of psychedelic brand of death doom.

Of those four, as a huge drone fan I most prefer and would recommend Dark Buddha Rising. Really eerie, meditative band that have become a pretty dominant force in the Finnish doom underground.

Cool. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not too familiar with drone yet to be honest, but experimental music in general piques my curiosity, whether or not they end up on my daily playlist.
16.09.2015 - 21:16
MelancholiaC

Album streaming now at CVLT Nation:

http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-premiere-streaming-tyranny-aeons-in-tectonic-interment/

Three songs in and I'm already impressed by how it grips my attention. This is awe-inspiring funeral doom on par with more well-known bands/releases like Ahab (progressive/post) and Shape Of Despair (gothic/atmospheric) but offers something unique as well - it's more eerie and tormenting, non-linear, and "subconscious-exploring" as Apothecary said in the review. To a degree it gives me a similar feeling/experience as Esoteric. In fact, I'm having trouble posting this while listening and keeping my train of thought because it overtakes my focus...
18.09.2015 - 17:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by MelancholiaC on 16.09.2015 at 21:16

Three songs in and I'm already impressed by how it grips my attention. This is awe-inspiring funeral doom on par with more well-known bands/releases like Ahab (progressive/post) and Shape Of Despair (gothic/atmospheric) but offers something unique as well - it's more eerie and tormenting, non-linear, and "subconscious-exploring" as Apothecary said in the review. To a degree it gives me a similar feeling/experience as Esoteric. In fact, I'm having trouble posting this while listening and keeping my train of thought because it overtakes my focus...

Glad you like it man! Yeah, it does kind of remind me of Esoteric a bit... different atmosphere, but both are really thick, hazy, and kind of supernatural in a way
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 6699 | This month: 9