Release date: September 2015

Disc I
01. Infernus Ad Astra
02. Rise Of The Chaos Wizards
03. Legend Of The Astral Hammer
04. Goblin King Of The Darkstorm Galaxy
05. The Hollywood Hootsman
06. Victorious Eagle Warfare
07. Questlords Of Inverness, Ride To The Galactic Fortress!
08. Universe On Fire
09. Heroes (Of Dundee)
10. Apocalypse 1992
11. Dundax Aeterna

Disc II [Bonus CD]
01. Main Title
02. The Attack On Triton
03. Angus McFife XIII's Theme
04. An Evil Wizard Does A Quest
05. The King Of California
06. Ser Proletius Returns
07. Lords Of Space And Time
08. To Claim Space Throne
09. An Epic War Is Fight
10. Dundee Will Fall

Gloryhammer is that all-too-rare band that embodies everything tiresome, juvenile, cliché, and hopelessly stupid about a genre and somehow manages to make it sound fresh and exciting - or at least extremely fun. Such an earnest overstuffing of cheese makes it hard to read them sometimes, as Tales From The Kingdom Of Fife demonstrated. Yet for Gloryhammer, this mission of dragons, wizards, undead unicorns? space goblins? hoots? what's a Questlord of Inverness? Well, anyway, it's a celebration of power metal, even a vaguely-messianic fulfillment, rather than a condemnation of its bloated excess.

Gloryhammer have mastered the art of pulling themselves in two directions at once. Space 1992: Rise Of The Chaos Wizards is poncier, sillier, and more deliciously absurd than Tales From The Kingdom Of Fife, and yet it simultaneously pushes itself to expound and improve upon the power metal formulas majestically lampooned on the debut. Anyone familiar with Christopher Bowes's work (not only Alestorm, but asdfgfa, Gaylord Tennis, and his very sophisticated, high-society Christmas album) knows that there is no distinction between the larky send-up and the serious effort for him. These guys will gallivant across all corners of ludicrousness, but they will never half-ass it. It's all systems go for Thomas Winkler Angus McFife XIII, who truly unleashes his vocal fire on this album, especially in "Hollywood Hootsman"; his unflappable war cry puts legions of competitors to shame. On top of that, insignificant though it may be, I absolutely must point out that the selection of words and syllables for the chorus of "Rise Of The Chaos Wizards" is extraordinarily aesthetically pleasing. People tend to discount the importance of language in the overall impact of a song, but those are some very well-chosen phonemes, let me tell you.

As the legendarily fantastic single "Universe On Fire" indicates, this album incorporates some more "techno-friendly" elements - and by that I just mean a larger, more interesting, and occasionally more experimental keyboard presence. After all, you can't have a mighty, epic war set in space without some futuristic sound effects to accompany it. It even finishes with a soothing ambient piece. Ordinarily I would call it an outro, but at four-and-a-half minutes, a spacey Enya blanket is no longer a set piece; it's just a short ambient song. Fans who were discouraged by the robotic, modernized sheen of "Universe On Fire" may rest assured that Space 1992 follows closely and gloriously the glorious standards of power metal glory, but should nonetheless reconsider their false opinions about that song.

I'll not go so far as to say that Space 1992 is a major improvement over Tales From The Kingdom Of Fife, because you can only do so much to make better what was already pretty kickass to begin with. At the moment, I still think it edges out its predecessor, but no matter; what we have here is a duology of fierce power, mind-melting melody, and genuinely intriguing mythology that is somehow unique and gripping in its ultra-clichéd stupidity.

By their very nature, Gloryhammer will probably eternally confuse some curious customers who never expected to hear the phrase "the cosmic rage of astral dwarves from Aberdeen," but Space 1992 is louder, faster, heavier, spacier, and hootsier than Tales From The Kingdom Of Fife, and will certainly please anyone who has eagerly awaited this release. It's the most fun you'll ever have learning about Scottish history (sorry, Grave Digger).

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 20.09.2015 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 457 users
20.09.2015 - 12:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think I know what we MS members can donate to marcel's b day --- money to concert and buy him this CD (remembering his comment in the MS news)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.09.2015 - 21:33
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Let's just save everyone the time and put this one at #1 on the Top 200 Albums of All Time list.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
20.09.2015 - 23:43
danielleV

Their artist cover is fabulous!
----
Hardrock-Artworks the place to order painted leather!
21.09.2015 - 12:44
paragraph7

Nice review. Listening to the album is like trying to grasp the dual nature of light as both particles and waves. In the words of the super computer:

Tricky.
22.09.2015 - 21:48
Susan
Smeghead
New Gloryhammer?!!?!?

Great review. If I could somehow be MORE excited after reading this, then I would be.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
22.09.2015 - 23:49
Rating: 9
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Susan on 22.09.2015 at 21:48

New Gloryhammer?!!?!?

Great review. If I could somehow be MORE excited after reading this, then I would be.

Thanks. I've already listened to the thing a hundred times and I'm still excited for the actual release.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
25.09.2015 - 22:51
Rating: 10
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 20.09.2015 at 21:33

Let's just save everyone the time and put this one at #1 on the Top 200 Albums of All Time list.

Yeah, this album is a masterpiece, and Christopher Bower is a fucking genius
25.09.2015 - 23:41
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Just saw the music video for Chaos Wizards and am definitely intrigued. I hate Alestorm and I'm not too fond of other parody bands wither as I think it's cooler and funnier when there is a genuine nature behind the campiness of a band(RoF, Pathfinder, Blind Guardian) rather than campiness for campiness sake(DragonForce, Alestorm, Manowar) but the music was so well done on the song that I couldn't not like it. I'll have to check this one out...
----
pewpew.. gotcha
26.09.2015 - 22:36
paragraph7

Written by AngelofDeth on 25.09.2015 at 23:41

Just saw the music video for Chaos Wizards and am definitely intrigued. I hate Alestorm and I'm not too fond of other parody bands wither as I think it's cooler and funnier when there is a genuine nature behind the campiness of a band(RoF, Pathfinder, Blind Guardian) rather than campiness for campiness sake(DragonForce, Alestorm, Manowar) but the music was so well done on the song that I couldn't not like it. I'll have to check this one out...

Gloryhammer is 100% serious business. The vocalist even records the vocals in his space armor.
03.02.2016 - 10:05
Rating: 7
Nicko's Nose

7 for originality? The songs on this album sound like a hundred other power metal songs.

Hits total: 13083 | This month: 10