05. Leaving
06. Bloody Tears
07. Holy War
08. Black Clouds
09. Into Darkest Void
10. Promises
11. Stormrider
12. The Ocean

A German power metal band with the name Stormhammer, what could possibly go wrong? The Germans aren't lacking for amazing power metal, but sadly bands like Stormhammer make up the second or third-string acts that never leave the stages of mediocrity. Echoes Of A Lost Paradise is a fantastic example of subpar and forgettable power metal.

Stormhammer aren't new to the scene, having formed in the early 90's by guitarist Manny Ewender and bassist Horst Tessman. This is their fifth full-length album and the debut of vocalist Jürgen Dachl, guitarist Bernd Intveen and drummer Chris Widmann. I'd always considered Majesty to be a sort of second rate German Manowar. Well now I consider Stormhammer to be a second rate Majesty. It's like taking the worst of early Blind Guardian, adding a boring vocalist and making sure the production is even worse.

Things start off so well as the distant horns sound with marching drums. The intro "Remembrance" builds and builds, adding choirs and all the trademarks of a power metal album intro. "Glory Halls Of Valhalla" then kicks in?with its own intro. This is puzzling and sounds completely off. What's the point in having a big intro that builds up then disappears when the next tracks intro starts? Fellow German power metal bands Helloween and Gamma Ray seem to have mastered the epic intro to fast 2nd track formula. Stormhammer couldn't even get that right. Things get worse as the lyrics "They have to prove their mettle in a stupid useless battle" are yelled into your ears. The lyrics are completely terrible throughout and there aren't even any riffs or melodies that stand out to distract you from them. Tracks like "Holy War" and "Promises" do show some quality and sound quite folkish in parts. They still aren't very memorable though.

Poor production throughout is accompanied by a vocalist who sounds like his timing is completely off in places. He sounds like he's singing along to the album and hasn't quite mastered the songs yet. Yes it may sound like I'm being overly harsh, but there is nothing here that stands out. Even the decent riffs found on tracks like "Fast Life" and "Stormrider" have already been done better by countless bands such as Grave Digger and Running Wild. It's 1 hour of mediocre metal with a bad vocalist and awful production. I'm absolutely baffled that a band could make it to their 5th studio album when they are making albums like this.

So instead of giving Echoes Of A Lost Paradise a try, throw on some early Blind Guardian or even some Metalium. There are plenty of top tier German power metal bands that demand your attention. This is a stale album with monotonous vocals, generic lyrics, horrid production, and absolutely nothing positive that makes it stand out in the saturated power metal scene.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 3
Production: 3

Written by Belegûr | 27.09.2015

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 200 users
28.09.2015 - 10:18
Necrotion7
Harsh..ill check it out and hope its as bad as you say haha
28.09.2015 - 11:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Gonna check this out
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2015 - 14:54
Rating: 3
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Necrotion7 on 28.09.2015 at 10:18

Harsh..ill check it out and hope its as bad as you say haha

Hopefully I've justified my score. It would be unfair to give a below average album an average score .
29.09.2015 - 07:42
Necrotion7
I made it about half way through and couldn't take it..generic and boring. the production wasn't that that bad (I don't mind shitty sounding bm so that might be why) but the singer was god awful..I tried some of there earlier work and by far the current vocalist is the best..hard to believe. as for this album there where a few good solos and I enjoyed the drummers bursts of speed but other than that this is a big dud..maybe if it wasn't the bands 5th album..maybe
29.09.2015 - 09:19
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Necrotion7 on 29.09.2015 at 07:42

I made it about half way through and couldn't take it..generic and boring. the production wasn't that that bad (I don't mind shitty sounding bm so that might be why) but the singer was god awful..I tried some of there earlier work and by far the current vocalist is the best..hard to believe. as for this album there where a few good solos and I enjoyed the drummers bursts of speed but other than that this is a big dud..maybe if it wasn't the bands 5th album..maybe

Yeah, if this was a debut I would maybe have upped the score to a 5 for average. This being a 5th album is quite embarrassing to be honest, it's so poor.
29.09.2015 - 17:13
paragraph7
Although I believe it is just as bad as you say it is, isn't the fact that they did not do the Orchestral Intro -> 2nd fast track in precisely the same formula as everyone else a sign of originality, if only in theory?
29.09.2015 - 18:38
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by paragraph7 on 29.09.2015 at 17:13

Although I believe it is just as bad as you say it is, isn't the fact that they did not do the Orchestral Intro -> 2nd fast track in precisely the same formula as everyone else a sign of originality, if only in theory?

Oh absolutely and if it worked I would have praised it. I didn't mean that the 2nd track HAD to be a fast track, but the transition between the intro and the 2nd track is very awkward and has absolutely no flow.

Hits total: 6360 | This month: 13