11. The Emperor
12. Last Dying Wish [Best Buy/iTunes bonus]
13. Foreign Policy [Fear cover]
14. Me Hate You [Japanese bonus]
15. Melt The Ice Away [Budgie cover] [digital bonus]

Guest review by
nikarg
Rating:
I was lucky to be 14 years old when Rust In Peace came out, the album that many consider to be the best thrash release that has ever seen the light of day. Followed by a couple of very good records, Dave Mustaine and co. spent the next 20 years or so giving us music that ranged from not so impressive to very disappointing (with the exception of Endgame's pleasant surprise). So, what do Megadeth have in store for us in 2016?

Read more ››
published 27.02.2017 | Comments (8)

Found in 69 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 97   Visited by: 1812 users
01.02.2016 - 03:15
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Agree this is a good album and a welcome return to form for Megadeth. Love the guitar work of the new guy.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
04.02.2016 - 13:19
Rating: 6
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Best song: Foreign Policy. Says it all. Everything else sounds way to rehashed and familiar.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
04.02.2016 - 14:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
Not done listening to this one yet but it does seem to be much better than the two previous albums. Someone wrote that it's the best since "Endgame", I thought to myself: "that doesn't say much, it was two albums ago". Had totally forgotten about "Th1rt3en" or whatever the fuck it was called. I remember "Super Collider" just because the title track was unbelievably bad. Don't think this will be better than "Endgame" though. That's a great album and probably the best since "Countdown".
----
05.02.2016 - 18:41
Panterica

I thought this day will never come again. A good album by Megadeth. Fuck.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
06.02.2016 - 16:51
Rating: 8
iMorphball

Written by K✞ulu on 04.02.2016 at 13:19

Best song: Foreign Policy. Says it all. Everything else sounds way to rehashed and familiar.

Strange, I thought Foreign Policy was the first track on here.
06.02.2016 - 18:04
Metalbound7

It has been a long time Megadeth did something as great as this album, In my opinion this is the very best album since they released that sad and lame piece of crap Risk, Endgame is good, but this album is way better in my opinion, the riffs, the lyrics, the solos, Dave's voice, the variety of the songs, everything is perfect, I can't stop listening to it and headbanging since it was released. Conquer or Die/ Lying in State is my personal favorite, but Dystopia, Poisonous Shadows, Foreign Policy, Melt the ice away are also good as fuck.
15.02.2016 - 18:27
Himedal

Rust in peace Megadeth. you were a good thrash band.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
17.02.2016 - 12:05
SlapTap

Painfully average. Chris Adler's presence gave me hopes I suspected would be dashed. Seems like every Megadeth has this swell of hype surrounding it touting it as Mustaine's favorite lineup, a return to form, best since "xxx" blah blah blah. It's all hyperbole. Megadeth should have stayed hung up after Dave's injury, I'd rather the ensuing albums not be tied to their legacy. Blackmail the Universe is the best song since the reformation, and that was on the first record back. Everything has been downhill since. Endgame is the most solid reformation record, but it had some pretty mundane moments and was saturated with forgettable wanky solos, nothing close to Mustaine and Friedman in their prime. Plus that homogenized Andy Sneap production...eck.

It's better than Repentless, I guess. Both are brought down by some awful lyrical prose.
17.02.2016 - 15:54
Trismegistos

Just think: next year the new album will be a "return to Rust in Peace" and "Megadeth back to form!" like every other album.
18.02.2016 - 22:50
sbgmetal

I think people wanted this to be good but i think it needs more riffs and dave sucks at soloing now he doesn't even seem to bother
22.02.2016 - 17:00
Dedcalm
Account deleted
This album is shit. IM done with Megadeth
05.03.2016 - 19:19
Rating: 9
bblitz

More than a month this album is out,why there is not official review from MetalStorm staff?
This shows your interest for this mythical band.
Go to hell all of you...
14.03.2016 - 11:05
IcePickLodger

Decent album, but the sound quality is pretty low...clipping and clipping, especially during guitar solos...another victim of the loudness war
21.03.2016 - 02:15
nyarlathotep
Account deleted
Started listening to this today, but on the first song, "The Threat is real":

"Justified obliteration, no one cares anymore
The Messiah or mass murderer
No controlling who comes through the door"

I stopped listening there.

These lyrics, coupled with the opening of the song, paint a disgusting picture of what it's about.
No matter how good the music is, I have zero tolerance for these kind of ideas.

I can't believe all members of the band were okay with these lyrics.
21.03.2016 - 03:48
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 21.03.2016 at 02:15

These lyrics, coupled with the opening of the song, paint a disgusting picture of what it's about.

May I ask you what is so wrong with these lyrics?
Because I believe if you have trouble with them, you must have trouble with lots of lyrics in Metal.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
21.03.2016 - 04:29
nyarlathotep
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.03.2016 at 03:48

Because I believe if you have trouble with them, you must have trouble with lots of lyrics in Metal.

Nope, haven't had any problems with lyrics in metal so far
I never came across anything xenophobic in all my years of listening metal and to be honest, the only I ever witnessed in the scene was Phil Anselmo's recent outburst.

I could not care less for political correctness, this is not it. This is the typical bigoted "migrants are out to get us!" stance. The oriental opening clearly directing this towards muslims.

Honest question here, what are these lyrics about, in your opinion? Believe me I would be happy to be wrong here.
21.03.2016 - 05:31
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 21.03.2016 at 04:29

I never came across anything xenophobic in all my years of listening metal and to be honest, the only I ever witnessed in the scene was Phil Anselmo's recent outburst.

I could not care less for political correctness, this is not it. This is the typical bigoted "migrants are out to get us!" stance. The oriental opening clearly directing this towards muslims.

Honest question here, what are these lyrics about, in your opinion? Believe me I would be happy to be wrong here.

I think I understand. I had no idea it was (or at least seems to be ) targeted at migrants or muslims. I haven't heard the song. Not really interested in Megadeth, to be honest.
As for the lyrics themselves, I don't know for sure what they are about but your interpretation could be quite right.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
03.04.2016 - 05:24
Sepulnation

The best one since Endgame. I like it
----
fuck shit up!
13.05.2016 - 13:50
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
I would say the best since Youthanasia... or one of the best of its career perfectly.

This takes me back to the 90s when i listened Youthanasia, this is the sound of Megadeth ! (Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction, Youthanasia ) I already thought they could no longer get to make an album of that quality. All songs are full of these characteristic melodies of Megadeth (that guitars... like in The emperor, are awesome), that only he do, but my favorite is Dystopia, it is a really great song of Metal.
07.07.2016 - 15:51
Joppe
Steelemeister
The big four is starting clearly to look like a BIG JOKE rather at this point. Note to self: stop listening to new releases by these bands
----
My vision is augmented
21.09.2016 - 17:55
MyNameJeff

Written by Guest on 21.03.2016 at 04:29

Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.03.2016 at 03:48

That's your own assumptions... You're putting your own ideas into the music because of your idealism.
Your interpretation of this doesn't mean this is inherently xenophobic/racist/bigoted or whatever. This isn't NSBM...
I think you're overreacting but of course you have every right to tell us what you think of this and it's certainly interesting to hear other opinions.
Just three questions which I think are relevant:
1. You say that putting an oriental sound creates judgement against Muslims, how so? Many countries have music you'd call oriental and yet have no Muslims (mine included, I'm Greek).
2. If they had put Christian chants AND made fun of Christians (which many metal bands do openly), would you be mad as well? or are you only mad when Muslims are made fun of?
3. Is it wrong to make fun of other faiths or people who hold non-Western conservative views/traditions? If so, why?
21.09.2016 - 18:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I think nyarlathotep is taking an issue personally. Best remedy for him to stop listening metal as it will come across in future as well. As errorcode99 said, just like you entitled to your opinion, same it is with Megadave.

Well, by taking this analogy in context, I believe shows such as South Park/Family Guy/American Dad/Cavalcade Of Cartoon Comedy must be banned in India as they take a hell lot of scooping of Indian culture. So much in consequences, orthodox people here will burn Trey Parker(although i think fatwa has been issued against him)/ Seth Macfarlane with ashes been used for stove to cook tea here.

Simple logic - don't listen to something which offends you.
23.11.2016 - 00:15
jmanfreda

Anyone who thinks anything on this album is xenophobic has severely misinterpreted it... It's all about Police State USA which is coming! Just look at the album cover!!!
11.04.2018 - 14:36
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Ace Frawley on 01.02.2016 at 03:15

Agree this is a good album and a welcome return to form for Megadeth. Love the guitar work of the new guy.

The new guy Kiko Loureiro? The guitarist of Angra? That guy is one of the best guitarists in the world and Angra in my opinion are the most complete band in the world.
12.04.2018 - 11:40
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Mountain King on 11.04.2018 at 14:36

Written by Ace Frawley on 01.02.2016 at 03:15

The new guy Kiko Loureiro? The guitarist of Angra? That guy is one of the best guitarists in the world and Angra in my opinion are the most complete band in the world.

Yep, that's the guy. Hope I didn't offend you by not naming him but it appears I may have. He's a top-notch guitarist, no doubt. I guess you already know that. Good day to you, Sir.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
12.04.2018 - 12:11
Mountain King
K i K o
Definitely not, my comment was more on a funny side. Same to you.
21.04.2018 - 01:12
TreyWeddle

I love this album, better than the new albums by the other bands in the big four in my opinion. For All Kings comes close to this album, but the riffs and solos are just killer on this disk. Definitely their best album since Endgame, and possibly the best out of their Post-Risk stuff. Great job Megadeth!
02.07.2018 - 10:15
Rekko

An amazing album. I think this is Megadeth's best album since Rust in Peace. "Bullet to the Brain" and "Conquer Or Die!" were on my personal TOP 25 songs of the year.
10.07.2018 - 22:45
Vinther1991

How did Megadeth sink so deep? Once one of the greatest metal bands in the world, now one of the worst. The album lack any sort of passion, it sucks the life out of you. Boring show-off solos, uninspired vocals, and lyrics by Alex Jones. Nothing memorable here. How this is considered a return to form after Super Collider is beyond me, this album is just as bad, if not worse. Almost makes you wish they would go back and make Risk-style music again.
17.08.2018 - 01:53
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Vinther1991 on 10.07.2018 at 22:45

How did Megadeth sink so deep? Once one of the greatest metal bands in the world, now one of the worst. The album lack any sort of passion, it sucks the life out of you. Boring show-off solos, uninspired vocals, and lyrics by Alex Jones. Nothing memorable here. How this is considered a return to form after Super Collider is beyond me, this album is just as bad, if not worse. Almost makes you wish they would go back and make Risk-style music again.

You are mad! hahaha

"now one of the worst" that is not true, but if you are happy and feel better, let's go!!!

Hits total: 36386 | This month: 76