06. Consciousness (Pt. 1): Sitting In Silence
07. Consciousness (Pt. 2): A Path To Enlightenment
08. Inner Fullness
09. Metta Meditation
10. Upward Explosion
11. Spiritual Migration
12. Returning To The Source
13. Outro

Years ago, in my cousin's dingy basement, moments after our first cigarette, he played me those menacing notes unlike anything I'd heard before: heavy metal. It was glorious, I was hooked for life --on metal, thankfully, not smoking.

I'm a lifelong fan of music most find repulsive (part of its charm, like black licorice), yet it takes a lot to digest a metal album. Even for metalheads, they're intentionally complex, rarely "catchy," and with so many sub-genres to explore, things get overlooked. By chance I gave an album I liked (but moved on from) another go, and am sure glad I did. Nearly two years later it's grown to become, dare I say, my new favorite OF ALL TIME.

I speak of the masterful Spiritual Migration by Persefone.

As best I can put it, this album (start to finish, in order) is art, inspired as few things are. The sum of the parts (lyrics, musicianship, cover art, themes, vocals, and a flippin' keyboard!) work together so well, I can't comprehend its creation. I'll rate it for the sake of this site, but it feels like slapping a score next to a brilliant painting at the museum.

The vocals are impressive, but I initially gravitated to the guitars which are highly technical and skillfully interwoven. It's heavy with solos aplenty and the keyboard adds layers of rich atmosphere. There are also several purely instrumental tracks throughout, which are unbelievably beautiful named for different styles of meditation and feature piano compositions.

I hear potential in their earlier releases, but feel Spiritual Migration is shoulders above Shin-Ken. Persefone have matured in their sound and completed their opus. I can listen to it on repeat for as long as I'm stranded on this island.

At its (*ahem*) Core, it's a compelling work of philosophy (think: "Zen and the Art of Mosh-Pitting"). With little repetition, Spiritual Migration weaves a beautiful narrative from us as individuals, to our connection with "Gaia," and fittingly terminates in our journey through death. I'm humbled by the singer's world view, something akin to "The Secret" but without the book-sales "What you see outside reflects what you have inside --you create your reality," "everything we live, are chances to grow?. there's no punishment."

It's an inspiring album. It's inspiring me to write these words right now.

This may never be your favorite, but if you appreciate various metal I implore you to give it a serious listen from start to finish. It became the perfect album to complement a period in my life (learning to meditate, perspective on the rat race...). As I personally reach new levels of consciousness, having an album encourage me to "become the mighty god we all have inside" is just what I need for the coming migration.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by greatesthuman | 27.10.2015

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Andorra is one of the smallest nations in the world. Lodged between Spain and France in the middle of the Pyrenees, it still holds enough talented musicians to bring to the world one of the most gifted metal bands of the last few years. If the name sounds familiar, it is because Persefone have made a name for themselves by releasing the album Core in 2006, a juggernaut of an album that still slays my psyche to this day. Its successor Shin-Ken was also a worthy experience in its own right. 2013 brings us Spiritual Migration.

Read more ››
published 19.01.2014 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 103 users
27.10.2015 - 23:24
Rating: 10
MyNameJeff

I still go back to this album quite often. I really, really, really like it. It's one of my top albums of all time as well. It's the only album that makes me unable to study when i listen to it, my mind explodes and my spirit migrates away, idk where. I'm glad you wrote this review! I'm glad I'm not the only one who absolutely loves this. I'm not even convinced if it's posible to play this album live!
28.10.2015 - 02:09
Fly Cavanagh

First time I post.
I do it just to agree with you. This is a true mastepiece.
One of my all time favourite albums, even after more than 20 years listening metal.
Glad to know Im not the only one.
How come tiny Andorra get a band like that? Feels like a joke.
06.11.2015 - 01:35
greatesthuman

Written by MyNameJeff on 27.10.2015 at 23:24

I'm not even convinced if it's posible to play this album live!

Agreed, but would ever love to see them try. If they play the album through track for track live, I'd give most anything to witness it.

Hits total: 6304 | This month: 32