Metal Storm logo
Radical crossover cover songs

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 10.03.2007 - 15:21
i mean cover songs which sound nowhere near the original. i generally speak of music genre "x"<->metal, where music genre "x" can be rap, pop, you get the point.
-judas priest-diamonds and rust(from joan baez): i heard the blackmore's night version after the 4(sin after sin, unleashed in the east, 98 live meltdown, and rising in the east) priest versions and i was "wow.." it is like a totally different song. it's like a half-cover.
-tori amos-raining blood(from slayer): the sheer insane brutality of the original is changed to an extremely boring sequence of piano arpegios with the original lyrics wailed by the girl. the song is just utterly worthless, as opposed to the original, which is exactly like ian from anthrax said: "when you go to a slayer show, you expect raining blood. it's like your'e going to some epic movie and you're waiting for the climax"
08.07.2007 - 23:33
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Ernis on 05.07.2007 at 23:25

@Señor El Cato....You're welcome...it's just that I went through a course in history of art, architecture and music and it lasted several years and our teacher was marvellous....that's why I know these things....btw...the style of Carl Orff is called neo-classical....the essence of it being modern in arrangement but inspired by classical music(and baroque and medieval etc)...

@Frodo de Acero: Whoa... I envy you, I'd like to get a course like that... Really amazing to get to know that stuff...

PS: I know it's completely worthless, but it would be simply "Señor Gato"
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
08.07.2007 - 23:43
Ernis
狼獾
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 08.07.2007 at 23:33

Written by Ernis on 05.07.2007 at 23:25

@Señor El Cato....You're welcome...it's just that I went through a course in history of art, architecture and music and it lasted several years and our teacher was marvellous....that's why I know these things....btw...the style of Carl Orff is called neo-classical....the essence of it being modern in arrangement but inspired by classical music(and baroque and medieval etc)...

@Frodo de Acero: Whoa... I envy you, I'd like to get a course like that... Really amazing to get to know that stuff...

PS: I know it's completely worthless, but it would be simply "Señor Gato"

I though that adding "el" will make it more official and polite but all right...como quiéres....as you like it...
The course wasn't actually free...I studied six years at a music school and there was a subject called "music literature"...this was history of art and architecture and music...it lasted three or four years...I don't remember any more...but the teacher was awesome and the lectures were always very spellbinding as was the music samples we got to listen...bits and pieces of it were also in the high school music class but it wasn't that thorough and good as in music school.....
We started the course with ancient music and ended with modern...and in the last class we all could bring our own CDs....some brought nu-metal...well....I kept my Slipknot home(yes, I listened to Slipknot...t'was years ago...)...

I'll lead this topic to more relevant themes....we studied also an Estonian composer Veljo Tormis....he had written folk influenced songs for choirs and now our own band Metsatöll covered them....they performed together with the national male choir and made the originally a capella choir songs into some wicked wild piece of classical folk metal....it's hard to describe....the original version is just choir...but the new versions are crazy...and the metal instrumental parts fit it perfectly...a proof that metal and classical music have so much to give to each other....
15.07.2007 - 01:08
Remus
Written by Ellrohir on 06.07.2007 at 20:39

Madonna's poppy La Isla Bonita covered in power metal by Twilight Guardians - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE4FA5cWGaA

i must say it is quite catchy song, especially in this metal version

Dude, this is a freaking excellent song! Much better than the Madonna's version. THe singing is just so good!

Oh and i agree with cursed - Tori Amos' version of "Raining Blood" sucks ass big time. I can't understand what she's saying, i actually have less trouble understanding the Slayer guy's fast singing.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
18.07.2007 - 11:33
..ExoTeaR..
i heard some homies rapping to south of heaven at my try hard americans house on the computor once
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
15.08.2007 - 16:21
Torelli
I've come across this clip when I was searhing videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fySKQ3PodRI , quite intresting actually.
03.04.2008 - 17:09
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Bonney M's Rasputin covered by Turisas...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
24.01.2010 - 10:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 21.03.2007 at 06:53

When I first saw Twisted Sisters cover of 'O Come All Ye Faithful' I thought it was going to be radical then I realisedhow similar the songs were, and how close it was to 'Were Not Gonna Take It', and how thatsong may actually be somewhat based off of 'O Come All Ye Faithful'

yeah, i noticed it too now i don't think TS's song has anything to do with "O Come All Ye Faithful" though

EDIT: Shit i thought you were talking about the original Come All Ye Faithful, now i see TS's version is actually a mashup of some sort between the two. the video is funny as fuck
25.01.2010 - 04:29
SerratedSyringe
The Berzerker covered TaTu. I'd say that's rather extreme.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
25.01.2010 - 06:42
tulkas
el parcero
Written by SerratedSyringe on 25.01.2010 at 04:29

The Berzerker covered TaTu. I'd say that's rather extreme.

I watched that one the other day (I think Jonas posted it on facebook) and it was amazing. Really raw cover of a gay song. I love those ones.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
26.01.2010 - 00:36
DoomGuard
Meh, the Tori Amos thing isn't as good as it is hilarious

I'd have to say the craziest cover of a song i've heard was The Mighty Boosh when their "Folk 80s Hair Metal" band covered Breaking The Law during the credits of one of their episodes, can't find a Youtube vid of it unfortunately...
02.08.2011 - 11:53
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
A Beatles cover:
02.08.2011 - 22:15
MetalSpider
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but the one that immediately popped into my head was "For Whom the Bells Toll" covered by Moonsorrow.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!