Metal Storm logo
Future Metal - Original Or Not?

Original post

Posted by Dark Cornatus, 11.03.2007 - 01:14
Ok well its simply a thing i was thinking about.

We all know how music has progressed, Metal didnt just begin, it was blended into rock by bands mainly from the 70's, and now is its own genre. It became big and since the mid 90's, has really evolved into a diverse genre. There is Metal bands with influences from ALL styles of music, each taking their own progression with their sound. Other genres have done this too, but we really do not know about it, we are only talking about Metal.

By the present stage, do you ever wonder, how much more can Metal progress? Will bands become unoriginal? Maybe they will take music to a new level we dont know about yet?

Post away with your thoughts, im keen for opinions.
12.01.2010 - 22:12
Don Martin
le fu-
I like it the way it is now, akshuly ^^ I actually prefer older metal like Agent Steel and Autopsy, but now you've got bands like Abominable Putridity crossing the boundaries of extremity I also like
With all those tight-pants-bands labelling themselves "Deathpunkelectrogrindcyberfusionjazz with a mix of Heavycountrybluegrassthrashmetal" I don't see any good things in the future...
----
What a tackastrophe!
14.01.2010 - 04:18
prk

More cowbell.
----
well that's just like... your opinion, man...
14.01.2010 - 04:55
SerratedSyringe

Written by NOИ on 27.02.2008 at 03:17

the future of Metal is Industrial and Electronic music. there are already some genres like Industrial Metal and Industrial Black Metal or Electro-Black or Techno-Death or Cyber-Grind etc. that trying to evolve the music... and I personally am a supporter of this evolution!

also, another "try" is Ghetto Metal, Death Metal with Rap vocals, check for example Sutter Kain http://www.myspace.com/suicidekingz this is NOT Nu Metal.

I agree. I really like bands that are doing this already, but I also think metal will eventually die out, and be succeeded by a whole new genre.

The best example I can think of is rock. For a long time rock 'n roll was the most extreme thing out there. Then, out of rock came metal; the new hot shit. Sure rock was still around, but it had left the underground, leaving heavy metal in it's place. I beleive metal will eventually do the same thing.

Sooner or later we'll hear Cannibal Corpse on the oldies radio station, while some crazy new metal-spawn genre develops underground.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
14.01.2010 - 11:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by prk on 14.01.2010 at 04:18

More cowbell.

That guy is awesome...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.02.2010 - 01:34
whatsacow

Any metal band that goes further than what we've got at the moment simply gets dubbed as prog or avant garde. so as long as we have those tags, wont be new genres.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
19.02.2010 - 20:50
Don Martin
le fu-
Written by prk on 14.01.2010 at 04:18

More cowbell.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Awesome ^^
----
What a tackastrophe!
11.06.2010 - 17:45
busta5000
Account deleted
In a way it progressed well because metalcore is awesome.
08.01.2012 - 11:54
Aristarchos

I haven't heard any reggae metal yet for example, but I think there is a point how much metal could evolve when it is still accepted as metal. It has not come to an end yet, though.
08.01.2012 - 23:36
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by SerratedSyringe on 14.01.2010 at 04:55

Written by NOИ on 27.02.2008 at 03:17

the future of Metal is Industrial and Electronic music. there are already some genres like Industrial Metal and Industrial Black Metal or Electro-Black or Techno-Death or Cyber-Grind etc. that trying to evolve the music... and I personally am a supporter of this evolution!

also, another "try" is Ghetto Metal, Death Metal with Rap vocals, check for example Sutter Kain http://www.myspace.com/suicidekingz this is NOT Nu Metal.

I agree. I really like bands that are doing this already, but I also think metal will eventually die out, and be succeeded by a whole new genre.

The best example I can think of is rock. For a long time rock 'n roll was the most extreme thing out there. Then, out of rock came metal; the new hot shit. Sure rock was still around, but it had left the underground, leaving heavy metal in it's place. I beleive metal will eventually do the same thing.

Sooner or later we'll hear Cannibal Corpse on the oldies radio station, while some crazy new metal-spawn genre develops underground.

The Rock 'N Roll (I think) you're referring to lasted maybe through the 40's to the end of the 50's with the creation of Metal, which is maybe a decade or more. Metal's officially been going on for over 50 years. If it was to die out, I figured it would've by now.
Besides that, Rock still exists. It's just been modified so much it's near impossible to compare with it's ancestors. Nevertheless, it is rock.
08.01.2012 - 23:55
IronAngel

To comment on the above: Since the beginning of popular music, or at least its spread in modern media (so as to exclude the ragtime music recorded on piano rolls, since that's pretty rare now), not a single genre has died out and disappeared completely. Not to my knowledge, anyway. They will become marginal and practiced only by some enthusiasts, but they'll keep going somehow. New things will of course become the mainstream.
10.01.2012 - 16:51
larshammer

Being progressed doesn't mean only you have to arrange things from different genres and create a fusion. Who claims that is a real stupid. Progression doesn't have to be in one specific way in which bands get down to produce soft, plastic, technical, factory-made and crappy music. If you say you're doing some extreme stuff, then progress it in a more extreme way, if you have the balls.
15.06.2012 - 13:49
Infernal Eternal

Even today there are "rip-off" bands that copy others but there are also original bands (ex. Nile). I think this will stay as it is in the future. Besides, in sex and metal, the possibilities are endless.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
18.06.2012 - 07:41
Darkfiber

Well, my idea of the perfect metal band/sound has yet to come to fruition, so I can only look to the future to see it happen...or stop being lazy and make it myself. There are a ton of bad new bands out there, but also a lot of good sounds and ideas. I'm definitely not one to write off new metal bands, in fact, quite the opposite. I love finding awesome new bands who just released their first album or demo.
18.06.2012 - 08:39
winds of mayhem

Well i hate to say it im a proud metalhead but i gotta be honest i think metal has had its time the 70's 80's and 90's were just classic judas priest,iron maiden,manowar,metallica,megadeth,deep purple,rainbow,black sabbath,alice in chains,mayhem,emperor,deicide,morbid angel, type o negative,samael,

I ask since 2000 a new decade wheres all the new blood at? in the past 12 years 99% of the time when i buy a cd its from a band or bands that i just mentioned from the 70's 80's or 90's if bands like otep,lamb of god and demon hunter are the future of metal thats not a very bright future if you ask me.
----
No Mosh, No Core, No trends, No Fun
18.06.2012 - 11:55
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.01.2012 at 23:36

Metal's officially been going on for over 50 years. If it was to die out, I figured it would've by now.

Hmm? It's pretty much a universal consensus that metal started with Black Sabbath's first album 42 years ago. Even if you're one of those guys who considers Zeppelin's first album to be the start of metal, that's not 50 years ago.
19.06.2012 - 01:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by winds of mayhem on 18.06.2012 at 08:39
Well i hate to say it im a proud metalhead but i gotta be honest i think metal has had its time the 70's 80's and 90's were just classic judas priest,iron maiden,manowar,metallica,megadeth,deep purple,rainbow,black sabbath,alice in chains,mayhem,emperor,deicide,morbid angel, type o negative,samael,

I ask since 2000 a new decade wheres all the new blood at? in the past 12 years 99% of the time when i buy a cd its from a band or bands that i just mentioned from the 70's 80's or 90's if bands like otep,lamb of god and demon hunter are the future of metal thats not a very bright future if you ask me.

Certain genres had their time (thrash, power, early stages of black and death) but a lot of new genres are pushing boundaries and furthering ideas that never came to be in those days. Look at some of the bands in the trending avant-garde scene, or the bands in the experimental hybrid scene (be it extreme experimental metal bands or melodic experimental bands). Not just them, but even bands sticking to the more original style of certain genres still provide their own unique ideas.

Why you think Otep, LoG, and Demon Hunter are considered the future of metal is beyond me. Of those three, only LoG are relevant in the States (with Demon Hunter only big among Christcore fans). Taking some info from RYM's top-rated metal releases of the 2010s, some of the names representing the metal scene far more in-depth than the likes of those three you pointed out are as follows:

Agalloch, Be'lakor, Deathspell Omega, Enslaved, Esoteric, Leprous, Insomnium, Moonsorrow, Myrath, Primordial, SepticFlesh... and the list goes on to reveal some pretty interesting new bands, from almost every metal sub-genre. You sound like one of those old-man elitists who despises all forms of anything contemporary because it doesn't live up to the great standard of the "glory days". I'll give credit where it's due - bands like Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, etc. all did their job in pushing metal to the mainstream and inspiring and influencing hundreds of thousands of bands years later, but that era is far from the epitome of metal's glory as a whole.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.10.2016 - 19:40
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Well as much as I love experimentation in the genre with fresh innovative ideas like Botanist, Z&A etc. I do enjoy the predictable albums of bands like Inquisition, Immolation, High on Fire etc. I hope we have place for both of these sorts of bands in the future. What I would really love to see more are artists who cross over into other genre like Alkerdeel who did a mastery of combining and bm & sludge, Cloak of Altering with their fusion of electronic & bm which sounds more than just a fusion into its own unique and nasty thing. That would be really interesting to listen.
12.11.2016 - 05:36
Ganondox

There will always be more original metal as long as metal continues to be a thing, and there will always more rehashes. That's just the nature of things.