Metal Storm logo
Testament

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 22.05.2006 - 15:55
Im surprised theres no thread about this band yet... Just goes to show how under-rated they are.... They certainly deserve more recognition... They have many top quality thrash albums/tracks... 'The Legacy'/Alone In The Dark..... 'The New Order'/Into The Pit & Trial By Fire....

My favourite Testament track is Alone In The Dark followed closely by a host of others including Disciples Of The Watch and Burnt Offering...

So, what does everyone else think of this band?
30.05.2009 - 20:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Daggon on 30.05.2009 at 19:03

You can also try an album called "First Strike Still Deadly", that album is a re-recording of some old songs from their first two albums, same songs, but now with great sound quality.

But unfortunately without the fire and passion of the orignal songs. But it is still worth buying cause of the only official non-demo studio version of Reign Of Terror which features solely Steve Zetro Souza on vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.05.2009 - 20:33
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.05.2009 at 20:29

You can also try an album called "First Strike Still Deadly", that album is a re-recording of some old songs from their first two albums, same songs, but now with great sound quality.

But unfortunately without the fire and passion of the orignal songs. But it is still worth buying cause of the only official non-demo studio version of Reign Of Terror which features solely Steve Zetro Souza on vocals.

And that is my favorite song from the compilation "Alone In The Dark" also sounds cool with Souza on vocals.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
30.05.2009 - 20:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Daggon on 30.05.2009 at 20:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.05.2009 at 20:29

And that is my favorite song from the compilation "Alone In The Dark" also sounds cool with Souza on vocals.

I have those two with solely Souz on vocals for years and years. Ever since 1985, when Testament was still called Legacy and I bought their demo that year.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2009 - 18:00
dhr
Account deleted
Testament is one of the best bands from the old school. They have always been overlooked! Bands like metallica and megadeth have gotten alot of attention and they both pussed out! Testament has stayed true to extreme music! And as far as I am concerned they have gotten better! The gathering(killer) and the new album is just brutal,having paul bostaph on the line up just intensified the battery in my opinion!
14.11.2009 - 19:08
SatyriconChick
I LOVE Testament! They've always been one of my favorite thrash bands. The Legacy is my favorite album of theirs. Love Alex Skolnick's playing much. Chuck Billy is one of the best vocalists in metal. I love his versatility! I saw them live probably 10 and a half years ago, only that one time unfortunately, but they blew me away!
24.11.2009 - 11:27
Storm Rider
I have DVD Testament Live in London....wow....they played excited & take a look clip video from you tube Testament when live in Cina, Turkey, South Korea, Hammer Gods & Alcatraz...it's really really excited too. Recently they wanna tour together with Slayer & Megadeth. Hope they will make a tour video (into DVD)
24.11.2009 - 13:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have bought their "The Spitfire Collection" compilation recently...i have to admit, for the first time ever, the thrash band's sound really interested me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.11.2009 - 23:31
Warlock84
Definitely one of the most talented bands out there. Alex Skolnik and Eric Peterson make and amazing team- songs like Electric Crown, The Ballad, Trails of Tears, and Over The Wall. I have never heard a bad song from them. The Gathering with Dave Lombardo on drums is one of the best albums I have ever heard. I can't wait to see them for the 3rd time, finally with Megadeth and Slayer.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
26.11.2009 - 04:26
Storm Rider
It's remind me long time ago in year 1989 when the first time I bought Testament "The New Order" on cassette (haaa....very old type ya). I show to my friend in the school & they were surprised due to there was a new metal bands (in that time) with sophisticated sound. They like it this bands too after all.
14.07.2010 - 17:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
After waiting about 18 years to see Testament live, I finally got to see them last year. Not once, but twice! lol The first time was in February at the Priest Feast with Megadeth and Judas Priest. Then again in July headlining. My only complaint was that the headlining show was a bit short, and they played no songs from The Ritual, or Low. They also played ''The Persecuted Wont Forget'', which isnt one of my faves from the latest album. lol

They are a really talented band. Chuck Billy is my fave from all the thrash vocalists, and of course, Alex Skolnick is an awesome guitarist! As is Eric Peterson, who is a great ryhthm player, and is also a good lead player as well. xD I also think Greg Christian is a really underrated bassist.

My fave Testament album is ''Souls Of Black''. ''Demonic'' is probably my least fave, even though there is some songs on there that I love. Definitely one of my fave bands. xD
14.07.2010 - 19:05
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Testament, FUCK YEAH !!
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
15.07.2010 - 13:30
vezzy
Stallmanite
Testament are a great band, their first two albums The Legacy and The New Order being thrash classics, but for the most part everything afterwards except The Ritual and The Formation of Damnation were for the most part half-decent/mediocre (Practice What You Preach, Souls of Black, Low (groove metal lol) or laughable (Demonic and The Gathering, for being pathetic attempts at sounding death metal).

Plus their new in-metal popularity has made them like the fifth big band in thrash, besides Exodus (who gained cult status then reformed to reach new heights of popularity), overshadowing plenty of other Bay Area thrash bands and getting loads of praise, making them quite overrated. They're like, "Hey look at me this band isn't from the Big Four hell yeah \m/".
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.07.2010 - 21:14
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Practice what you preach and Souls of black are masterpiece classics as well, listen to them again and you'd take back what you said

low, demonic, and the gathering and pathetic though.. agreed
----

15.07.2010 - 21:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 15.07.2010 at 21:14

Practice what you preach and Souls of black are masterpiece classics as well, listen to them again and you'd take back what you said

They're okay, but not nearly as good as the first two.
----
15.07.2010 - 21:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 21:49

I would even dar say Practice and Souls are very weak and aren't even allowed to be named in the same sentence as the first two.
But then again New Order was already a lot weaker then their masterpiece The Legacy. That one is still on eof the greats of thrash metal.
All in all Testament only produced 1.5 great thrash albums, followe dit up with a couple of dire ones. And returned not to long ago with one which is slightly above average.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2010 - 22:35
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2010 at 21:53

I would even dar say Practice and Souls are very weak and aren't even allowed to be named in the same sentence as the first two.
But then again New Order was already a lot weaker then their masterpiece The Legacy. That one is still on eof the greats of thrash metal.
All in all Testament only produced 1.5 great thrash albums, followe dit up with a couple of dire ones. And returned not to long ago with one which is slightly above average.

Wait, you didn't like The Ritual?
----
15.07.2010 - 22:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 22:35

Wait, you didn't like The Ritual?

God no, although it is better than the rest of their post New Order stuff. Although i gotta relisten it to see where I think it stands in comparison to the last one.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2010 - 22:48
JohnDoe
Account deleted
^ people who enjoy The Ritual are quite a minority (me included); apparently Skolnick was to blame for the softer sound. I enjoy this album a lot, especially because the guitar work (both rhythms and solos) is great and the vocal work as well, for me at least
15.07.2010 - 22:52
vezzy
Stallmanite
Yeah, I generally prefer faster and more intense stuff, but I enjoy The Ritual (especially "Electric Crown"), even if it does come off sounding as generic, '80s billboard metal at times.
----
15.07.2010 - 23:28
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath

Marcel, we've had a similar debate about megadeth before. if we follow your way of thinking we'd only like an album or two per band and not more.. we can't keep comparing testaments albums with each others.. coz for SURE they're gonna have an album that's better than the rest.. so, if this album comes first then they're pretty much screwed and ll their -good yet less good than that ona- albums would be called shit... same with megadeth, except their best album was their fourth, that it why everything afterwards is considered shit.

so, the only way to avoid this is by making albums that are similar to eachothers each time and no album would 'break through' .. u get what i'm saying ? .. its not testaments fault that their best album came first not last.. that doesnt mean the rest is bad.. and same with megadeth.. same with machine head ...etc
----

15.07.2010 - 23:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Zombie on 15.07.2010 at 23:28

Marcel, we've had a similar debate about megadeth before. if we follow your way of thinking we'd only like an album or two per band and not more.. we can't keep comparing testaments albums with each others.. coz for SURE they're gonna have an album that's better than the rest.. so, if this album comes first then they're pretty much screwed and ll their -good yet less good than that ona- albums would be called shit... same with megadeth, except their best album was their fourth, that it why everything afterwards is considered shit.

so, the only way to avoid this is by making albums that are similar to eachothers each time and no album would 'break through' .. u get what i'm saying ? .. its not testaments fault that their best album came first not last.. that doesnt mean the rest is bad.. and same with megadeth.. same with machine head ...etc

Nope, Megadeth's best album was their second to me. Although albums three an four are also very good. And also The System Has Failed is good.

As for testament I stand by my words that everything after New Order is bad.
I grew up with the stuff when it was all released sso I have a totally ddifferent perception of their work than anyone that had to backtrack into those bands' catalogues.

Break through albums have nothing to do with it. Testament never broke through and neither did Slayer or Megadeth although of them have tried. Megadeth really tried to sell out with Countdown adn Youthanasia and Slayer actually for their standards tried to sell out with Seasons. Ask anyone who grew up with all those bands back in the day.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 00:11
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Here we go again with the 'i grew up on this so i know'

dude, i KNOW you'd see it differently, i'm actually talking about something pretty different ... i mean, imagine (just imagine) if testament didnt release 'the legacy' .. and megadeth didn't release 'RIP' and slayer didn't release 'Reign in blood' ... then you'd rate them neautrally and you'd give Endgame a 9/10, formation of the damnation another 9/10 .. and world painted blood an 8 or a 9 ....BUT.. when compared to their masterpieces.. the scores drop to 7 or 7.5 ... so, my point it.. its not the bands fault that their recent / latter releases are less awesome then the previous ... every band in the world has a 'peak' that they reach ... most bands nowadays have their 'peak' with their latest album coz they evolve musically therefore usually every album is better than its predecessor but tht isn't the case with old-school thrash.. as these guys had real intense competition backthen.. and they had the passion and the youth's rage.. so, their best efforts were their early albums.. so, are they cursed now with their own success that every album they make we'd compare it to their masterpieces and say its not good ? this way you'll never enjoy all the great music they make afterwards. be thankful they had an -out of this world- album and let yourself like their other 'earthly' albums
----

16.07.2010 - 13:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Nope I wouldn't rate those albums that high had they not released those masterpieces.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 15:21
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I could never understand why some people consider Souls of Black mediocre, average or weak, for me it's one of the finest thrash albums.
16.07.2010 - 15:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 16.07.2010 at 15:21

I could never understand why some people consider Souls of Black mediocre, average or weak, for me it's one of the finest thrash albums.

Cause it is pedestrian, lacks bite and sounds totally uninspired tht's why I consider it mediocre, average or weak just like Practice What Your Preach btw
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 15:30
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 15:26

Cause it is pedestrian, lacks bite and sounds totally uninspired tht's why I consider it mediocre, average or weak just like Practice What Your Preach btw

I find PWYP weaker than Souls of Black; I consider it their weakest from their first 5 albums (Legacy to The Ritual)
16.07.2010 - 19:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious

I think Souls... is awesome as well, but everyone has their opinions, as always. lol The only thing I dont like about Souls... is its dry production. It lacks any 'oomph'. But the songs themselves are great.

IMO the first 4 albums are classics. ''Low'', and ''The Ritual" are not far behind them either. ''The Formation Of Damnation" is a great comeback album, if not quite up there with their best. "The Gathering" has some real highlights, especially during the 1st half of the album. 2 or 3 average tracks during its 2nd half bring it down a little bit though. "Demonic" is the one I like least, although I love some tracks on it, like "Hatred's Rise", and "Murky Waters". ''John Doe'' is another song I like from it as well. lol xD
16.07.2010 - 19:59
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.07.2010 at 19:20

I think Souls... is awesome as well, but everyone has their opinions, as always. lol The only thing I dont like about Souls... is its dry production. It lacks any 'oomph'. But the songs themselves are great.

IMO the first 4 albums are classics. ''Low'', and ''The Ritual" are not far behind them either. ''The Formation Of Damnation" is a great comeback album, if not quite up there with their best. "The Gathering" has some real highlights, especially during the 1st half of the album. 2 or 3 average tracks during its 2nd half bring it down a little bit though. "Demonic" is the one I like least, although I love some tracks on it, like "Hatred's Rise", and "Murky Waters". ''John Doe'' is another song I like from it as well. lol xD

I listened to Demonic today; it's quite good, but I rarely listen to it because of the death metal growls, which i can hardly tolerate - but Chuck Billy is ok. I'd rather hear him sing, clean vocals, but that's me.
16.07.2010 - 21:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 16.07.2010 at 19:59
I listened to Demonic today; it's quite good, but I rarely listen to it because of the death metal growls, which i can hardly tolerate - but Chuck Billy is ok. I'd rather hear him sing, clean vocals, but that's me.

It is quite good, in fact there's only 2 songs on it that dont do anything for me at all. "Together As One", and "New Eyes Of Old". (I like the opening riff of the song but thats it) I like death growls, but I dont like how Chuck only does those style of vocals on this album. Chuck is a great singer, and it was like a waste for him not to use his cleans at all on the album. He did ''The Gathering'' the right way. Alternating between his death and clean vocals. But musically, there's quite a lot I enjoy on ''Demonic". And because its the only Testament album without a 2nd guitar player, Eric plays most of the solos on it, and he plays some good stuff. Especially his solos on ''Hatred's Rise". xD
16.07.2010 - 22:05
vezzy
Stallmanite
Seriously, guys? Do you have any albums you don't like? Demonic's terrible. Generic death riffs with bad growls.
----