Metal Storm logo
Testament

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 22.05.2006 - 15:55
Im surprised theres no thread about this band yet... Just goes to show how under-rated they are.... They certainly deserve more recognition... They have many top quality thrash albums/tracks... 'The Legacy'/Alone In The Dark..... 'The New Order'/Into The Pit & Trial By Fire....

My favourite Testament track is Alone In The Dark followed closely by a host of others including Disciples Of The Watch and Burnt Offering...

So, what does everyone else think of this band?
17.07.2010 - 19:48
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Candlemass on 17.07.2010 at 19:47

Written by vezzy on 17.07.2010 at 19:22

Written by Candlemass on 17.07.2010 at 19:14

Written by vezzy on 17.07.2010 at 19:07

Written by Candlemass on 17.07.2010 at 18:59

"The Gathering" Is one of my all time favorite albums!
What song writing and drum work! A perfect thick thrash metal release.

Yep, any guy who suddenly decides to act death metal after years of being great to mediocre thrashers is definitely thick in the head.

If there's any wit in the msg, sorry I don't get it
Are you calling Slayer mediocre? shame on you!

wait wat

What the hell does Slayer have to do with this?

"any guy who suddenly decides to act death metal after years of being great to mediocre thrashers"
Are you not talking 0f Lombardo? (I didn't get ya)

No, I was speaking of Testament.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.07.2010 - 06:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Yep, any guy who suddenly decides to act death metal after years of being great to mediocre thrashers is definitely thick in the head.

Geez...

Now its clear to me why you where attacking my opinions about certain Testament albums. (and branding me with falsehoods while you where at it.) What you've said there is total, and blind, elitism. Its this whole pathetic ''untr00/tr00" crap, which is no better than blind fanboy/girlism. Which is basically what you were (falsely) accusing me of being. Chuck and Eric were fans of more brutal music years before "Demonic", and even "Low" was made. Why are they ''thick'' for wishing to make music they like? Once Alex was out of the band, they were not constrained anymore to write softer stuff than they wanted to. Chuck had been incorporating brutal/death vocals into his singing as far back as the first album. You probably think any deviation from a band's original sound, makes band members ''thick''. Which is a ridiculous attitude to have really.

Certain elitists are just as bad as fanboys, and are just as narrow minded.
18.07.2010 - 11:48
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.07.2010 at 06:57

Geez...

Now its clear to me why you where attacking my opinions about certain Testament albums. (and branding me with falsehoods while you where at it.) What you've said there is total, and blind, elitism. Its this whole pathetic ''untr00/tr00" crap, which is no better than blind fanboy/girlism. Which is basically what you were (falsely) accusing me of being. Chuck and Eric were fans of more brutal music years before "Demonic", and even "Low" was made. Why are they ''thick'' for wishing to make music they like? Once Alex was out of the band, they were not constrained anymore to write softer stuff than they wanted to. Chuck had been incorporating brutal/death vocals into his singing as far back as the first album. You probably think any deviation from a band's original sound, makes band members ''thick''. Which is a ridiculous attitude to have really.

Certain elitists are just as bad as fanboys, and are just as narrow minded.

Yes, yes, I understand that they were fans of more extreme music (however, I do not see how "Low" counts, I don't really consider groove metal "brutal", just me though, but yeah it had some death grunts and heavier guitars). But really, my point is, "Demonic" just doesn't sound good. It sounds generic at times, although it is dark and has its moments, just not many of them, IMO.

The Gathering was definitely dark and heavy, but once again, it was kind of boring for me. I don't know, I just got that impression from you, sorry about it.
----
18.07.2010 - 14:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 18.07.2010 at 11:48
Yes, yes, I understand that they were fans of more extreme music (however, I do not see how "Low" counts, I don't really consider groove metal "brutal", just me though, but yeah it had some death grunts and heavier guitars). But really, my point is, "Demonic" just doesn't sound good. It sounds generic at times, although it is dark and has its moments, just not many of them, IMO.

The Gathering was definitely dark and heavy, but once again, it was kind of boring for me. I don't know, I just got that impression from you, sorry about it.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call ''Low'' groove metal, even though it does contain some elements from that genre in it's sound. As for ''Demonic'', it's definitely not as brutal as some of the more extreme death metal, but not being extreme, doesnt necessarily mean that it's bad. I definitely wouldn't argue the point that ''Demonic'' has its generic moments, because it definitely does. And I stated so in a post on the previous page. But the album definitely has its merits, and some good stuff on it. For me, I'd really have to not find any redeeming features on an album at all before I would denounce it as total rubbish. Although it is ironic that my favourite song off ''Demonic'', is actually the only one that displays melodic qualities, and where Chuck inserts small amounts of actual singing instead of the death grunts. (''Hatred's Rise") Its not a bad album, at least IMO, but it is the one I like the least.

Well, its okay that you found ''The Gathering'' boring, but thats just your opinion. I definitely dont like everything on ''The Gathering'', although none of the songs are flat out bad. I find ''Allegiance'' and ''Be Careful What You Wish For'' to be pretty generic, and "Sewn Shut Eyes" is totally forgettable. I really love ''DNR'', "True Believer", "Legions Of The Dead", "3 Days In Darkness", and "Eyes Of Wrath" though. So for me, it contains some really great songs, but it isnt consistent enough to be called a classic.

The funny thing is, I got berated on MS a few weeks ago by a Maiden fanboy for criticising some of Maiden's stuff, so to basically be called a blind fangirl was quite amusing... Ah, thats okay, dont worry about it.
18.07.2010 - 14:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.07.2010 at 14:08

Written by vezzy on 18.07.2010 at 11:48

Well, I wouldn't exactly call ''Low'' groove metal, even though it does contain some elements from that genre in it's sound. As for ''Demonic'', it's definitely not as brutal as some of the more extreme death metal, but not being extreme, doesnt necessarily mean that it's bad. I definitely wouldn't argue the point that ''Demonic'' has its generic moments, because it definitely does. And I stated so in a post on the previous page. But the album definitely has its merits, and some good stuff on it. For me, I'd really have to not find any redeeming features on an album at all before I would denounce it as total rubbish. Although it is ironic that my favourite song off ''Demonic'', is actually the only one that displays melodic qualities, and where Chuck inserts small amounts of actual singing instead of the death grunts. (''Hatred's Rise") Its not a bad album, at least IMO, but it is the one I like the least.

Well, its okay that you found ''The Gathering'' boring, but thats just your opinion. I definitely dont like everything on ''The Gathering'', although none of the songs are flat out bad. I find ''Allegiance'' and ''Be Careful What You Wish For'' to be pretty generic, and "Sewn Shut Eyes" is totally forgettable. I really love ''DNR'', "True Believer", "Legions Of The Dead", "3 Days In Darkness", and "Eyes Of Wrath" though. So for me, it contains some really great songs, but it isnt consistent enough to be called a classic.

The funny thing is, I got berated on MS a few weeks ago by a Maiden fanboy for criticising some of Maiden's stuff, so to basically be called a blind fangirl was quite amusing... Ah, thats okay, dont worry about it.

"Eyes of Wrath" and "Legions of the Dead" are decent tracks actually. I actually think the first two tracks on "Demonic" are good enough too.

Lol, Iron Maiden... they haven't been the same since The X Factor, which I despised. Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death are good though, but The Final Frontier isn't looking good, IMO.
----
18.07.2010 - 16:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 18.07.2010 at 14:37
"Eyes of Wrath" and "Legions of the Dead" are decent tracks actually. I actually think the first two tracks on "Demonic" are good enough too.

Lol, Iron Maiden... they haven't been the same since The X Factor, which I despised. Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death are good though, but The Final Frontier isn't looking good, IMO.

Yep, ''Demonic Refusal" is a great opener, and the next track "The Burning Times" crushes as well. The song after that though "Together As One" is awful. lol

The first Maiden album that disappointed me was "Fear Of The Dark". "Brave New World" was a great comeback, and actually one of my fave Maiden albums! <3 "Dance Of Death" has some good stuff on it, but is also quite patchy. I really like AMOLAD, there's only one song on that album I dont like at all. As for "The Final Frontier", well... I liked "El Dorado", but what I heard of the title track really disappointed me, I found it very boring. Im not expecting much from the album to tell the truth, but I'll be amazed if the whole thing sucks.
18.07.2010 - 16:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.07.2010 at 16:18

The first Maiden album that disappointed me was "Fear Of The Dark".

Not No Prayer For The Dying? That one I found horrendous at the time and still find dire. especially due to Bring Your Daughter.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.07.2010 - 16:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.07.2010 at 16:18

Written by vezzy on 18.07.2010 at 14:37

Yep, ''Demonic Refusal" is a great opener, and the next track "The Burning Times" crushes as well. The song after that though "Together As One" is awful. lol

The first Maiden album that disappointed me was "Fear Of The Dark". "Brave New World" was a great comeback, and actually one of my fave Maiden albums! <3 "Dance Of Death" has some good stuff on it, but is also quite patchy. I really like AMOLAD, there's only one song on that album I dont like at all. As for "The Final Frontier", well... I liked "El Dorado", but what I heard of the title track really disappointed me, I found it very boring. Im not expecting much from the album to tell the truth, but I'll be amazed if the whole thing sucks.

Satellite 15 is bad, yes. "Fear of the Dark" is a so-so release, it's mostly known for its great title track.

Now, back to the new old Testament. (=P)
----
18.07.2010 - 16:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Oh yeah, forgot this is the Testament thread. And I remain by my point the only good Testamnt is the first one and a half albums
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.07.2010 - 17:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 18.07.2010 at 16:27
Satellite 15 is bad, yes. "Fear of the Dark" is a so-so release, it's mostly known for its great title track.

Yes, and yes. We can continue that discussion in the Maiden thread. lol

Man, thats as bad as me saying not defiling their "legacy'' in a previous post...
18.07.2010 - 17:46
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.07.2010 at 17:31

Written by vezzy on 18.07.2010 at 16:27

Yes, and yes. We can continue that discussion in the Maiden thread. lol

Man, thats as bad as me saying not defiling their "legacy'' in a previous post...

But... I like making bad band puns. =(
----
26.11.2010 - 00:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Best thing Testament have recorded in years:

But then again this is a classic Scorpions song from back when they were still good.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.01.2011 - 23:31
Vivi'
Testament is a very interesting band. As much as I adore bands that stay old school or don't change their style, I like bands that change, too - as long as the change is good music. Testament is one of those with the good music. I like their old stuff, I like 'The Formation Of Damnation', too.
01.02.2011 - 23:47
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Testament is one of those bands (To me) where half of the songs I skip on an album, but then like 3-4 are going to be some of the best shit ever. Hope the new album lives up to expectations.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
01.02.2011 - 23:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2010 at 00:17

Best thing Testament have recorded in years:

But then again this is a classic Scorpions song from back when they were still good.

what song are you referring to? all i see is a big white square. - link does not work for me.
03.02.2011 - 19:52
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Same, big white square
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
03.02.2011 - 19:59
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I can't think of any Scorpions song Testament covered; but then again I haven't listened to Testament in quite a while.
06.02.2011 - 11:07
Wraith
Used to think Testament was nothing special. Just listened to the first four albums in their entirety. My opinion has changed shall we say. Didn't like them because of the general lack of speed throughout the songs ect. But once I really sat down and listened to them, they really blew me away.
08.02.2011 - 14:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 03.02.2011 at 19:59

I can't think of any Scorpions song Testament covered; but then again I haven't listened to Testament in quite a while.

That was a cover of Sails Of Charon
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2011 - 23:29
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2011 at 14:34

which album is it on or is it a tribute or something? I don't remember seeing Sails of Charon on any albums.
09.02.2011 - 07:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 08.02.2011 at 23:29

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2011 at 14:34

which album is it on or is it a tribute or something? I don't remember seeing Sails of Charon on any albums.

I think it's on some sort of tribute or general compilation with various bands
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2011 - 23:03
I saw them just this past August. It blew my damn mind.
----
Love The Bomb
13.02.2011 - 00:01
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Hardly an underrated band, they're the biggest thrash band outside the Big 4. That being said, they are great. I own The Gathering, which while more of a groove metal album than thrash, still is great. From the snippets I've heard of their earlier albums, they seem to be very high quality thrash. Chuck Billy is also my second favorite thrash vocalist, behind the one and only Bobby Blitz.
15.02.2011 - 13:00
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 13.02.2011 at 00:01

Hardly an underrated band, they're the biggest thrash band outside the Big 4. That being said, they are great. I own The Gathering, which while more of a groove metal album than thrash, still is great. From the snippets I've heard of their earlier albums, they seem to be very high quality thrash. Chuck Billy is also my second favorite thrash vocalist, behind the one and only Bobby Blitz.

Wait, are you saying you haven't listened to The Legacy, and you are saying you like Testament? And why are you saying they are underrated, or have I misunderstood you? Maaaaaany people like Testament; maybe even more than they deserve (but that is debatable of course).
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.02.2011 - 02:45
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 15.02.2011 at 13:00

Written by Guest on 13.02.2011 at 00:01

Wait, are you saying you haven't listened to The Legacy, and you are saying you like Testament? And why are you saying they are underrated, or have I misunderstood you? Maaaaaany people like Testament; maybe even more than they deserve (but that is debatable of course).

I've heard some songs of of the Legacy, but it never really seemed that amazing to me. If there's any thrash band that deserves more fans, its Overkill.
03.03.2011 - 02:19
Saw em last August. Blew me right the fuck away.
----
Love The Bomb
22.05.2011 - 06:25
king_matt
A great thrash band. My two favorites have got to be The Legacy and Practice What You Preach. I could never really get into their death metal sound, however.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
11.01.2015 - 07:30
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Testament writing new album. Probably gonna release at the end of 2015.

Such a great news. Read it somewhere on their official website. Not fully confirmed about release date.
18.02.2015 - 10:57
Deathmaster
New testament is gonna slay! I definitely have a lot of love for the Formation of Damnation and dark Roots of The Earth.
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard
23.02.2015 - 02:44
MetCanMeshAnt
So far I have only listened to two Testament albums. The first one was Souls of Black and I listened to that over 10 years ago and haven't listened to it since. I remember not caring for it that much. But, like I said, it has been 10 years and I know that my music tastes have change a lot since then. So I would like to give it another spin and just see how I feel about it now.

The second album has been Dark Roots of Earth and that is a phenomenal album. I throughly enjoyed that one from start to finish. It was funny because I originally found it at the local library and just checked it out on a whim. After thinking it was great from the start I was lucky enough to find it at a used book store. Of course I had to pick it up on the spot. Haven't listened to it in a while but after this I am thinking I need to crank it up.

So far I like what I have heard from Testament and am interested in checking them out further. Does anyone have a recommeded album??