03. Awakening
04. Lost Path
05. Eidolon
06. Reborn
07. Recovering The Truth
08. The Burnt And The Frozen
09. The Forgiven
10. Sunless Rise

They're not quite as neoclassical as Children Of Bodom was, but slightly more dynamic. Certainly a good fix for the old-school CoB fanboys/girls looking for a worthy successor to that sound/style.

Bandcamp

psykometal's picks | More picks ››

Found in 5 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 251 users
06.12.2015 - 17:35
psykometal
A staff guy...
Such a superb album. Been waiting for this for 6 years. \m/
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

12.12.2015 - 12:07
Rating: 9
Sword_Chant

HOLY. SHIT.
12.12.2015 - 22:49
Lit.
Account deleted
Pretty boss album. Take note, CoB.
18.12.2015 - 06:15
Stunning Cactus

I'll be checking this soon. Extreme power is some of my favorite music.
18.12.2015 - 15:57
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Stunning Cactus on 18.12.2015 at 06:15

I'll be checking this soon. Extreme power is some of my favorite music.

If you like old school CoB, then you'll love these dudes!
----

21.12.2015 - 11:22
Rating: 10
hidden_ninja

This album is just perfect! Superb handling of instruments, melodies and the voice is on pitch and perfectly timed. AWESOME!

PS: The keyboardist should get a fucking medal, it's been long since i heard such good compositions and attention to details in the samples!
23.12.2015 - 18:44
ScottyM

Whoa. Where did these guys come from?
24.12.2015 - 14:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by ScottyM on 23.12.2015 at 18:44

Russia.

I actually discovered them back in 2009 when they released their 4 track demo. Needless to say, it's been a long 6 years I've been waiting for this album. And it was defo worth the wait!
----

27.12.2015 - 03:34
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

This is really fucking good. I might have to change the rating to a 10 after a few more listens.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
28.12.2015 - 17:41
ScottyM

Written by psykometal on 24.12.2015 at 14:13

Written by ScottyM on 23.12.2015 at 18:44

Russia.

I actually discovered them back in 2009 when they released their 4 track demo. Needless to say, it's been a long 6 years I've been waiting for this album. And it was defo worth the wait!

I have to admit, I'm glad I discovered them now, and didn't have to wait that long.
29.12.2015 - 08:08
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I pretty much can't stop listening to the track Eidolon.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
29.12.2015 - 23:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Christ, this is awful. It's offensive from just about every angle, be it vocals, ludicrously camp melodies, overly sterile, autotuned sound etc.

Sounds like The Village People throwing strawberry blancmanges at me from a hot air balloon that has George Michael's contorted face on it.
29.12.2015 - 23:22
Zap
Oh thank God I'm not the only one. (And I looove early CoB for the record.)
29.12.2015 - 23:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I love early CoB too (up to Hatecrew in fact). This though... yuck. I never felt ashamed and dirty listening to CoB. Even at their worst.
29.12.2015 - 23:27
Zap
Written by Guest on 29.12.2015 at 23:23

I love early CoB too (up to Hatecrew in fact). This though... yuck. I never felt ashamed and dirty listening to CoB. Even at their worst.

Really? I'm surprised you're into that sort of thing.
Also, it doesn't help that I see psykometal recommending this on every CoB-related thread, since I always wanna yell out how wrong he is, but if other fans of early CoB like it then I guess there isn't much of a point to that, so good for them.
29.12.2015 - 23:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 29.12.2015 at 23:27

Really? I'm surprised you're into that sort of thing.
Also, it doesn't help that I see psykometal recommending this on every CoB-related thread, since I always wanna yell out how wrong he is, but if other fans of early CoB like it then I guess there isn't much of a point to that, so good for them.

I don't profess to listen to it much these days, but it was early metal stuff I really liked. I also dig some Imperanon and Skyfire too, from that sort of genre.

Well CoB fans also seemed to like 'Halo Of Blood' as well, which I thought was pretty abysmal. This stuff though, I would have thought would be too cheese-based for them, but I guess not.
29.12.2015 - 23:40
Zap
Written by Guest on 29.12.2015 at 23:34

I don't profess to listen to it much these days, but it was early metal stuff I really liked. I also dig some Imperanon and Skyfire too, from that sort of genre.

Well CoB fans also seemed to like 'Halo Of Blood' as well, which I thought was pretty abysmal. This stuff though, I would have thought would be too cheese-based for them, but I guess not.

Never got into those other bands, within this whole extreme power thing I only really ever liked CoB and Wintersun.

I agree that Halo Of Blood was not the return to form all the fans made it out to be, but then I was never big on Hate Crew Deathroll in the first place, of which Halo borrowed a lot.
29.12.2015 - 23:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 29.12.2015 at 23:40

Never got into those other bands, within this whole extreme power thing I only really ever liked CoB and Wintersun.

I agree that Halo Of Blood was not the return to form all the fans made it out to be, but then I was never big on Hate Crew Deathroll in the first place, of which Halo borrowed a lot.

I think one or two bands is really enough for an extreme power metal diet.
30.12.2015 - 05:26
psykometal
A staff guy...
Halo of Blood was generally hailed as a step in the right direction to a return to something like HCDR.

Also, in my defense, I'm nowhere near as picky or particular about metal as either of you 2. Lol
----

30.12.2015 - 11:01
Zap
Written by psykometal on 30.12.2015 at 05:26

Also, in my defense, I'm nowhere near as picky or particular about metal as either of you 2. Lol

I don't think everything that's metal is automatically awesome, sue me
31.12.2015 - 18:24
Skoda

To say these guys are reminiscent of COB wouldn't be an incorrect statement, but there are definitely some serious differences here, especially in the obvious EDM influences that pop up here and there on this album and a nearly absent neoclassical edge... Seems like a lot of Russian power metal bands are in to EDM infusions in metal (Hammerforce, for instance). This band as a whole is going to turn a lot of people away by that and their really sugar, high-adrenaline compositions, and I can totally see why this would be a cringe-inducer to some. As for me, I'm an absolute sucker for it, and outside of a few little nitpicks here and there (wasn't a fan of the metalcoresque breakdowns in some of the non-demo tracks and the occasionally laughable "engrish" lyrics), I felt that this was a rather successful album with some really kickass tracks.
----
Sleeping on his laurels.
28.01.2016 - 10:58
ScottyM

I don't really see the CoB relation in this band. Sure, as with most metal genres, guitars determine the melody, along with vocals (which bares no resemblance at all with CoB), but if there's a CoB fan out there that's hoping to find a band that brings back the nostalgia of back when CoB was worth anything, why on earth would you compare these guys to them? There's nothing neo-classical about Sunless Rise... At all... The only thing they have in common is fast guitars, and you could find quite a few other bands that more closely resemble CoB.
01.03.2016 - 11:23
Rating: 7
Ruchesko

What Amaranthe could be if they dropped Elize and that bloody pop sensibility.
01.03.2022 - 11:39
Rating: 8
nonZero

'Lost Path' is the best song on this album IMO. 'Nothing To Save' is also great.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)

Hits total: 6262 | This month: 24