Metal Storm logo
One Genre vs Many Genres

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 25.12.2015 - 15:30
I never really understood why people just stick whit one metal genre. When I start there was no I net, and easy access, we had tapes, bootleg tapes, rare CD's and most we have copy tape , from tape , CD, radio, whit hand written artwork. We did listen Jimi Hendrix, van Halen, Metallica,. Cannibal Corpse, Paradise Lost, Cream, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, X Wild, H Blockx , and so on. This is how many like me grew up, lived, listened, it was hard get anything for poor school kid. Someone got, we shared. There was no MS, radu and JN and database requests , SB recommendations, new weird bands as Immortal, Emperor was hard to get and basically anything new, no matter what genre was something awesome. It was easier if you was living in capital city, follow concerts, stores, but living away and so on it was hard to get. This is why I like many genres, as possible. Digging deeper came in 2004 when I got I net, discovered genre sites as gothmetal.net , doommetal.com MA, MS --- then it was just dig deeper as you can ... and be happy , later I start filtrate genres, but as 22 when many ppl get married, have a children, lose life I got enrichment in the metal, spend 10 years online, listening what I have lost because of bad days. I net brought light but now seems we don't appreciate old ways anymore, torent, band camp, youtube

So to me somehow like many older lads, we like all genres , and all what was before our time, now I filtrate out x - core, core-x , djent, nu, meth, prog , some power... but bm and all supgenres, heavy, death, death/doom, trad doom, epic doom, stoner/doom, gothic/doom, US power, heavy, hard rock, some power, some folk , etc ....

Poll

Do You Stick Whit?

Many Genres
One Genre

Total votes: 65
28.12.2015 - 14:08
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Oh, so you were one of "those" two. The other one probably thought like you and didn't really mean it.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my previous post, but "I don't want to listen to genre x because I don't agree with the lyrics" is also a very stupid reason not to listen to a genre to.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.12.2015 - 14:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@no one - this is true and I hardly can track all genres, new bands, I try but , I have no time, still I stick whit so called classic genres and classic bands, not in deadone classic interpretation, but more open minded

Alex - unnecessary same as 70% if all what is in this forum .

BitterCOld - unanimous, its everywhere, in every single voting option what so ever and this is not bad poll, no one , karl and radu and Matt put good opinions out there.
But if its bad why does not staff lock it?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.12.2015 - 14:58
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 28.12.2015 at 14:08

^Oh, so you were one of "those" two. The other one probably thought like you and didn't really mean it.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my previous post, but "I don't want to listen to genre x because I don't agree with the lyrics" is also a very stupid reason not to listen to a genre to.

So you were serious about me being close minded?

i don't think its stupid not to listen to nsbm because of the lyrics, but please don't bring up that shit again.
28.12.2015 - 15:20
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 28.12.2015 at 14:58

So you were serious about me being close minded?

Nah, just joking. I just said that because you asked for it in your post =p
Written by Guest on 28.12.2015 at 14:58

i don't think its stupid not to listen to nsbm because of the lyrics,

Besides, in this case it's not even about closed-mindedness, since it's not like you're choosing not to listen to the whole genre, but just the particular bands that sing about a certain topic.

Either way, I'm sorry but I still don't see the reason for people doing that... Like... If I was to ignore everything I don't agree with I'd have a very limited set of bands on my HD.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.12.2015 - 15:27
Zap

Possible, I wouldn't take anything in this thread seriously considering who started it.
28.12.2015 - 15:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Pretty much, i'm guessing the two new "just one genre" votes are here to take the piss.

i can get how people might have strong preferences of one genre over another, but with so much interbreeding going on between styles it's pretty much impossible to only like one.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.12.2015 - 17:45
Uldreth

I actually do that with NS bands and bands that spew other ultra-nationalistic kind of ideologies. Sue me. Although, to my defense, I have yet to find anything by such bands that I would like musically, so no big loss (maybe Nokturnal Mortum in my trad BM days, if we consider that band NS).

I tend not to extend this to other topics though, in particular, I am a passionate antitheist, but I listen to truckloads of christian bands. For some I even like their lyrics.
28.12.2015 - 20:15
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 28.12.2015 at 15:20

Either way, I'm sorry but I still don't see the reason for people doing that... Like... If I was to ignore everything I don't agree with I'd have a very limited set of bands on my HD.

I'll listen to stuff i don't agree with, but it crosses the line when it gets to blatant racism.
28.12.2015 - 21:03
Nimlot
A. Reader
Written by Bad English on 25.12.2015 at 17:52

...I hate DT , totally boring band but I adore FW , awesome song writes...

I still kind of like some Dream Theater from time to time and never got into Fates Warning, no mater how much I tried.
Written by Bad English on 26.12.2015 at 03:25

...not say I am metalhead and say manowar is true and rest are posers

That was me in my teenage youth, in the early days of MS. It made for fun background music to Diablo 2.

But to the point. I mostly have periods when I'm tired of most music and can only stand to listen to one genre (lately prog rock and avant/prog metal), but usually take to my old ways eventually. Some genres I never go back to despite having previously loved them. I really don't listen to heavy or power metal anymore, they don't do it for me the way they used to when I was first getting into metal. Back then I couldn't see the appeal of the extreme metal genres, so I used to avoid black and death metal altogether, which I've had the opportunity to appreciate a little better. It took me a while to get into thrash, some time after that to get bored of it, and to this day I only ever listen to the occasional Testament song. I never really had much interest in drone or noise but Apothecary's picks have provided the occasional interesting experience but it's sill something I only listen to in passing.
28.12.2015 - 21:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
NSBM to me is not a real genre, just BM, what so ever metal whit NS lyrics, but some oi and war skin bands what plays oi and more BM use ns themes into lyrics , NS is more prefix to me

I ignore it because it sucks unless its musically more demo level, ok I like Noctural Mortum , Graveland, Lord Wind, but its about it

Nim - DT and FW is like I don't know, old DT is OK, but now, its just prog music something and also Marcel agreed whit me FW has better touch to write proper songs ,, read a SB history

I have those feelings to , but then I listen radio
----

apos;'
[image]
29.12.2015 - 00:40
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Bad English on 28.12.2015 at 21:54

NSBM to me is not a real genre, just BM, what so ever metal whit NS lyrics, but some oi and war skin bands what plays oi and more BM use ns themes into lyrics , NS is more prefix to me

I ignore it because it sucks unless its musically more demo level, ok I like Noctural Mortum , Graveland, Lord Wind, but its about it

Nim - DT and FW is like I don't know, old DT is OK, but now, its just prog music something and also Marcel agreed whit me FW has better touch to write proper songs ,, read a SB history

Yes I agree it is not a genre. Just as "Christian" black metal is not a separate genre. It is black metal with lyrics deviating from the norm, is all. There are not different kinds of grindcore etc just because some might be leftist and some to the right. Genre is music, not lyrics.

If someone does not want to listen to "NSBM" I can understand it, because there are very few good bands. However when it comes to lyrics there are much more offensive lyrics in some DM and grindcore bands than some childish nazism. But I don't mind MS exclusion of NS bands because I don't personally care about them at all.
29.12.2015 - 03:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Netzach on 29.12.2015 at 00:40

Yes I agree it is not a genre. Just as "Christian" black metal is not a separate genre. It is black metal with lyrics deviating from the norm, is all. There are not different kinds of grindcore etc just because some might be leftist and some to the right. Genre is music, not lyrics.

If someone does not want to listen to "NSBM" I can understand it, because there are very few good bands. However when it comes to lyrics there are much more offensive lyrics in some DM and grindcore bands than some childish nazism. But I don't mind MS exclusion of NS bands because I don't personally care about them at all.

well Christians blackers domt say white metal, that frase is used by satanistic BM bands what don't like ... sorry I will reapet my self, but DF or Marduk said even Saxon will be BM if they would have lyrics about satan, it means Chris Rea - road to hell is BM ... elitist logic

some grind core has deeper meaning , but if yopu're not church boy Dm , core lyrics can be as joke, even sometimes that joke is discussing ... how % of those bands has commited crimes?
----

apos;'
[image]
29.12.2015 - 09:58
Nimlot
A. Reader

...also Marcel agreed whit me FW has better touch to write proper songs...

Although it may be true that FW write better songs than DT, there's no use authoritatively namedropping Marcel to strengthen your argument, K7. It won't change my mind. What could change my mind is finding something I like about FW. I actually thought their 2013 release was alright, but I still don't feel like listening to them.
...Also my turtle agreed with me, DT has some better album covers...
30.12.2015 - 15:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Many, obviously, for the sake of organization, ease of finding what I'm looking for when searching for new music, and keeping an eye out for new developments in sound. I notice that usually the people who bitch about a large number of genres and labels in metal and how they're pointless, don't make sense etc. are quite often the people who have little to no idea at all what each of those labels really entails (and often those who lack the motivation to investigate as well)
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.12.2015 - 19:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.12.2015 at 15:44

Many, obviously, for the sake of organization, ease of finding what I'm looking for when searching for new music, and keeping an eye out for new developments in sound. I notice that usually the people who bitch about a large number of genres and labels in metal and how they're pointless, don't make sense etc. are quite often the people who have little to no idea at all what each of those labels really entails (and often those who lack the motivation to investigate as well)

only negative factor for new music is our free time is limited and our time on the earth to .... this si why I am single :p
labeling genres, well unless experts do it why not but when teenage hormone dudes, what says ''female fronted metal is genre'' then no thanks
----

apos;'
[image]
03.01.2016 - 03:56
Overrwatcher

I focus on melodeath, deathcore, and atmospheric/symphonic death metal, and rarely venture from there. Between school, gaming, and living in general, I don't have much time to discover music and I'd rather just search through new stuff I know I will like.

MS has exposed me to genres I otherwise wouldn't have explored, however. I wouldn't even know of bands like Nevermore or Draconian without this site.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
03.01.2016 - 06:21
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.12.2015 at 15:44

Are you saying people who don't investigate enough are bitching lazy people who don't make sense ?
03.01.2016 - 08:59
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 03.01.2016 at 06:21

Are you saying people who don't investigate enough are bitching lazy people who don't make sense ?

Not necessarily in the way you articulated, just more so that the people who complain about too many labels and how they serve no purpose often have little idea about the musical, lyrical, etc. approaches that can be found under each of those labels. Which only makes sense, really, because naturally if you don't take the time to really do research on a certain thing, your knowledge of it is going to be wanting
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.01.2016 - 06:07
Jtbmetal123

Why limit yourself?
13.01.2016 - 08:34
no one
Account deleted
I don't limit myself, i just have a genre i like more than others so get into it more.
16.01.2016 - 16:57
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Guest on 13.01.2016 at 08:34

I don't limit myself, i just have a genre i like more than others so get into it more.

I'm the same. I have hundreds of power metal albums. Most of the bands I listen to are considered "power metal", but the ones I enjoy the most are completely different to each other. I suppose it will be the same for anyone who really enjoys one particular genre. Yeah I like some folk, prog and more recently doom, but I always go back to power. I suppose I "limit" myself more since I recently discovered I just don't like harsh vocals much at all :/
16.01.2016 - 20:06
no one
Account deleted
Written by Belegûr on 16.01.2016 at 16:57

I'm the same. I have hundreds of power metal albums. Most of the bands I listen to are considered "power metal", but the ones I enjoy the most are completely different to each other. I suppose it will be the same for anyone who really enjoys one particular genre. Yeah I like some folk, prog and more recently doom, but I always go back to power. I suppose I "limit" myself more since I recently discovered I just don't like harsh vocals much at all :/

Yeah it definitely reduces the need to investigate other stuff. I mean if i'm still buzzing with black metal, why would i waste copious amounts of time investigating other genres i rarely like ? bitching lazy person i must be
17.01.2016 - 00:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Pm is METAL genre what is closer to pop, but still metal and mostly bands are good in debute albums and one of genres what works if bands are lost in owm twilight world, not just play, in that cases music don't work , metal is not for growing up, why Gn R worked, Axel wa slost wherever he is
----

apos;'
[image]
17.01.2016 - 00:57
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Bad English on 17.01.2016 at 00:12

Pm is METAL genre what is closer to pop, but still metal and mostly bands are good in debute albums and one of genres what works if bands are lost in owm twilight world, not just play, in that cases music don't work , metal is not for growing up, why Gn R worked, Axel wa slost wherever he is

I don't understand.
17.01.2016 - 03:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Belegûr on 17.01.2016 at 00:57

I don't understand.

just PM is more closer to pop but still metal, to make a good PM you must live in own antasies
----

apos;'
[image]
17.01.2016 - 04:02
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Bad English on 17.01.2016 at 03:53

Written by Belegûr on 17.01.2016 at 00:57

I don't understand.

just PM is more closer to pop but still metal, to make a good PM you must live in own antasies

Nope, still not getting it. I also don't see what PM being close to pop has to do with anything I've said
17.01.2016 - 15:59
masterofdisguise

As for myself, I really can't stick with one genre. I enjoy metal in general but I love power metal, melodeath, gothic, doom and black, so it takes on my mood to decide what to listen. Sometimes I spend days, weeks listening to just one genre and then get tired of it, so its good to have many options so I can always be feeding myself with new music.
12.02.2016 - 15:10
Sang Dalang Abu

Just because media always ignore and aviod it, it's doesn't mean yuo have to make that decision.

Unless 0 riffs, go to mallcore.