Metal Storm logo
Isis

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 15.03.2007 - 16:03
When I fell upon Isis' latest album In the absence of truth in a musical store, I remembered the album also happened to win MS Post-Metal award... And since I've began browsing this genre after discovering Cult of Luna last year, I said: "What the heck, let's give Isis a try!" Well, I'm not used to congratulating myself, but this was a pretty good idea

The album is a bit heavier than what I expected, but still I found it really beautiful and original, and it makes me want to hear more of them!!

Since I couldn't find any Isis thread, I've just created this one to let everyone discuss the band, and I expect recommendations on their previous material I was thinking of giving Oceanic a try anyway.

So, what do you think?
09.05.2009 - 16:26
Kandlegoat
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.03.2009 at 19:03

Wavering Radiant is a freaking amazing album. I guess all post-whatever fans, snob as they are, are whining against it for any reason, but it's a release that just embraces you with its great narcotic atmosphere. Gigginova's avatar indeed made me think about how great it must feel to listen to WR with some weed at hand.

which is funny,considering the Post Metal/Post Rock snobs used to accuse Isis of being a " Neurosis copycat" back in the days of "Celestial" and "Oceanic".
09.05.2009 - 20:49
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.05.2009 at 16:26

Wavering Radiant is a freaking amazing album. I guess all post-whatever fans, snob as they are, are whining against it for any reason, but it's a release that just embraces you with its great narcotic atmosphere. Gigginova's avatar indeed made me think about how great it must feel to listen to WR with some weed at hand.

which is funny,considering the Post Metal/Post Rock snobs used to accuse Isis of being a " Neurosis copycat" back in the days of "Celestial" and "Oceanic".

so... what's funny, then?
09.05.2009 - 21:16
Kandlegoat
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.05.2009 at 20:49

it's funny that for the longest time they were accusing Isis of ripping off Neurosis,now that they took a new direction,they're still getting shit by elitists.it seems Aaron Turner and the rest of Isis can't win no matter what.
09.05.2009 - 22:41
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.05.2009 at 21:16

it's funny that for the longest time they were accusing Isis of ripping off Neurosis,now that they took a new direction,they're still getting shit by elitists.it seems Aaron Turner and the rest of Isis can't win no matter what.

With Celestial they will still trying to define themselves, but I have the idea that Oceanic is generally far more respected than anything Neurosis had ever written. After that they tried to seriously to evolve as an "intelligent" band and the result was pretty pretentious if you ask me (Panopticon has some of the greatness of Oceanic but In The Absence Of Truth simply doesn't make sense), but WR is another GREAT Isis album... I like to see bands change, but in a good way, of course... Anyway, I see your point, but I think most of the elitists that now talk bullshit about Isis really enjoyed Oceanic back in the years.
10.05.2009 - 20:49
Kandlegoat
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.05.2009 at 22:41

Written by Guest on 09.05.2009 at 21:16

With Celestial they will still trying to define themselves, but I have the idea that Oceanic is generally far more respected than anything Neurosis had ever written. After that they tried to seriously to evolve as an "intelligent" band and the result was pretty pretentious if you ask me (Panopticon has some of the greatness of Oceanic but In The Absence Of Truth simply doesn't make sense), but WR is another GREAT Isis album... I like to see bands change, but in a good way, of course... Anyway, I see your point, but I think most of the elitists that now talk bullshit about Isis really enjoyed Oceanic back in the years.

I hear you.

I was very disapointed when hearing in the absence of truth,however I really liked Wavering Radiant,and felt it was a more of a return to form.
11.05.2009 - 02:51
Galar
Wicked Mung
I am seeing these guys in June in Northhampton MA. Ganna be sweet. I assume their sound quality is astonishing live.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
09.06.2009 - 16:50
NoahPGB
Account deleted
I got the chance to interview Aaron Turner and Jeff Caxide before their show in Boston last weekend. They talked a lot about Wavering Radiant and some other good stuff... read it here: http://playgroundboston.com/2009/06/08/interview-with-aaron-turner-and-jeff-caxide-of-isis/
09.07.2009 - 20:39
RockeRoy
Wavering Radiant is so good, actually this is the first isis album i dig. have to listen to the other once again
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
10.07.2009 - 15:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Wavering Radiant is the first Isis album I've heard. I agree...it is sooooo good that I hope their earlier releases won't be a letdown when I first listen to them.
----
rekt
10.07.2009 - 15:39
baldur
Listen to oceanic its their best imo
12.07.2009 - 01:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by baldur on 10.07.2009 at 15:39

thanks for the advice brah!!
----
rekt
12.07.2009 - 03:10
marcos592
Thanks rellay.. thanks..
12.07.2009 - 15:16
baldur
Written by tea[m]ster on 12.07.2009 at 01:46

and if you havent heared of neurosis yet, do yourself a favour and listen to times of grace or the eye of every storm. there is a reason why isis, cult of luna and many other bands are influenced by neurosis
14.07.2009 - 02:30
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by baldur on 12.07.2009 at 15:16

Written by tea[m]ster on 12.07.2009 at 01:46

So much music so little time...I'll get on it!

and if you havent heared of neurosis yet, do yourself a favour and listen to times of grace or the eye of every storm. there is a reason why isis, cult of luna and many other bands are influenced by neurosis
----
rekt
14.07.2009 - 11:20
IndiePit
Account deleted
We have a great interview with Aaron Turner at IndiePit where he disses the Golden Gods award. Check it out if you're interested.

http://blog.indiepit.com/2009/07/13/isis-aaron-turner-calls-golden-gods-awards-demeaning/

Isis' Aaron Turner Calls Golden Gods Awards 'Demeaning,' 'Ridiculous'
One of the smarter metalheads you'll meet also chats with us about why he had to get out of L.A., why walking his dog is meditating and why Isis would tour with Tool all over again.
16.07.2009 - 23:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Eww....this is my first time listening to Neurosis (1999's Time of Grace)...sounds ALOT like Godflesh - which isn't a bad thing
----
rekt
05.10.2009 - 15:15
baldur
Cant stop listening to false light, best isis song imo
08.10.2009 - 06:04
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Isis is good
19.10.2009 - 12:04
Black Mass
Going to see them in London on Wed night, really looking fwd to it. Can't stop listening to Wavering Radiant. Haven't seen them live before so hope they're good!
17.11.2009 - 11:28
pdepmcp
Wavering Radiant is my personal top as it sounds like the point of balance between the power of Oceanic and the class of Panopticon, which are the other two records I love by Isis.

Clestial was simply unripe but surely decent.

In The Absence of Truth is a good record but the abuse of clean vocals ruins many songs and it is a bit less inspired than other recent releases. It's still the record many post-whatever would dream to be able to write someday...

I can't see how anyone can call Isis a copycat of Neurosis, at least since Oceanic (that is since the second release of the band!).
20.11.2009 - 03:43
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Wavering Radiant is the only that im still to check out. Can't wait.

I really got into Oceanic and Celestial, so far only ''In the Absence of truth'' let me down.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
10.12.2009 - 09:42
YIN
In the absence of truth - HOLY TEARS and Wavering Radiant - GHOST KEYS
are the songs you have to listen and will changed your values of metal.
24.12.2009 - 10:50
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I listened to 10,000 new cds this year and I am telling you Wavering Radiant is my ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!!
----
rekt
07.01.2010 - 08:52
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by tea[m]ster on 24.12.2009 at 10:50

I listened to 10,000 new cds this year and I am telling you Wavering Radiant is my ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!!

That's like... 30 albums a day.
----
Coldgrits
07.01.2010 - 10:15
Immortal
Heed my word - you must listen to 'Holy Tears'. In the words of many a metal head, "IT FUCKING ROCKS!"
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
07.01.2010 - 10:17
Immortal
Written by -DC-002- on 07.01.2010 at 08:52

Which theoretically means he must have listened to some at the same time and some while he was asleep, assuming that the average album lasts an hour.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
08.01.2010 - 04:58
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Immortal on 07.01.2010 at 10:17

Written by -DC-002- on 07.01.2010 at 08:52

Which theoretically means he must have listened to some at the same time and some while he was asleep, assuming that the average album lasts an hour.

That's assuming a lot my friend This all just, doesn't make sense. I'm so confused.... and cold.
----
Coldgrits
23.02.2010 - 22:52
I didn't listen to 30 albums a day but I did reach the same conclusion - album of the year.
01.03.2010 - 13:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah I'm impressed with their new album as well. The bass guitar sounds awesome

Fav song is probably 20 Minutes/40 Years
21.02.2011 - 17:31
The Turbanator
I am so bloody hooked to Panopticon, it's not funny. I've been playing this album and Radiohead's The King of Limbs for the past 3 days.

Amazing stuffs, really.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!