Metal Storm logo
Nu Metal bands you like

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 16.03.2007 - 01:51
So, the title says it all. I made this so the ones here that like nu metal can discuss about the bands we like. So about me, I like:

Godsmack (Although for me it's Alternative), because their songs are really cool, and they have great lyrics and the "Changes" DVD is simply awesome, and theitr drums are great. Sully's voice is quite unique, and their lyrics are pretty nice.

Slipknot, because of their energy, the outfits look great, and their lyrics make me laugh, besides their live shows are quite impressive. Also Vol. 3 is a change, IMO they found that they don't have to scream for everything, and they prove it with a great accoustic song.

Disturbed: David's voice is great. and with their thrid album,. 10.000 fists" they try a new, more melodic sound. besides Dan Donegan proves himself as a great guitar player

KoRn: But only the first albums.

Evanescence, because Amy lee has a great voice, but their last album, "The Open Door" was a big letdown for me.

Also Adema, TrustCompany, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Chevelle, Mudvayne, Soil and I enjoy Metallica's St. Anger.

So that's it. If you have band suggestions you can and must post them as well. If you don't like Nu metal, please don't post bashing bands and attacking with things like "X band sucks" or "Nu metal sucks". Please, let's have some respect for the other fellow MSers taste.
06.03.2010 - 20:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 06.03.2010 at 20:41

Written by Guest on 06.03.2010 at 08:45

Written by JÄY on 25.02.2010 at 01:12

I find this thread to be an oxymoron

Why? There are decent nu metal bands out there...

Perhaps he should look up the definition of oxymoron, then somehow apply it to the title of this thread.

Oh shit, eh? How did I oversee that one? I guess...people aren't supposed to like nu metal?
06.03.2010 - 20:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 06.03.2010 at 20:57

Perhaps he should look up the definition of oxymoron, then somehow apply it to the title of this thread.

Oh shit, eh? How did I oversee that one? I guess...people aren't supposed to like nu metal?

Yeah, people don't actually like nu metal, they pretend to like it, to look cool. Nobody ever makes fun of you for listening to a nu metal band.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.03.2010 - 21:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 06.03.2010 at 20:59

Written by Guest on 06.03.2010 at 20:57

Yeah, people don't actually like nu metal, they pretend to like it, to look cool. Nobody ever makes fun of you for listening to a nu metal band.

Hahahaha...well, I have some metalhead friends who I cannot admit to liking nu metal to and yet there are other friends of mine who listen to bands like SOAD and Disturbed and I rock out with them...
07.03.2010 - 00:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.03.2010 at 17:50
I guess you're probably only 4-5 years younger than me, then. That's what I suspected.

You guess right then.

Really? What made you suspect that?
07.03.2010 - 05:29
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Yeah, I really find the whole "nu-metal isn't real metal and everyone who likes it is a fag" attitude a lot of metalheads have to be quite annoying. Although I can see where a lot of it comes from, as there are a few nu-metal bands which I would NOT consider metal at all. But as much as I hate Slipknot and how much the majority of the fanboys/fangirls of Slipknot annoy me, I agree that it is metal...just not for me.

But everyone has their own opinion on things.
07.03.2010 - 14:23
Lord_Regnier
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.03.2010 at 00:05

Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.03.2010 at 17:50
I guess you're probably only 4-5 years younger than me, then. That's what I suspected.

You guess right then.

Really? What made you suspect that?

Because you sometimes say "long ago" and things like that. And now you're saying you started listening to metal in the late 80s so you most likely were a young teenager or older at that time.
I was 15 in 1988, so my guess is you were at least 12-13. We might not even have 4-5 years of difference. I'm 37.

Also, judging by the way you speak in general, I knew already you surely weren't a teenage girl. At least over 25, most likely over 30.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.03.2010 - 06:35
Mushieknot
Oh gawd, i love Nu metal (awaiting flames)
But really...how do you define nu-metal?
Slipknot, Korn and Limp Bizkit are Nu metal, but they each sound completely different....

I classify Nu Metal as angry bands that just wanna break your face.

I like most nu metal bands actually.
Slipknot- Their aggression and feeling put in those first two albums were epic. You can tell Corey feels it. After Iowa they still have good music, but it's more mainstream. My Favorite band x.x 88 songs by them on my ipod. Including MFKR and Crowz.

Limp Bizkit- I know...I know....how could anyone like Limp bizkit?...well i do. to me they're more fun then serious, and Wes has some cool riffs and a unique style. I'm trying to implement the two finger tapping into a song or two.

Mushroomhead- Is this Nu Metal?? some people say it's Alt.
Metal or Industrial Metal. Their sound just grabs me for some reason.

Korn- meh...i like a few of their songs. My best friends favorite band.

Linkin Park- I thought Hybrid theory was really good, Meteora was ok, and the newest album to be crap aside from a few songs.

Disturbed- ONLY songs from Ten Thousand Fists and Indestructible. Those albums are cool, but The Sickness had some bad songs (*cough* droppin plates)

Five Finger Death Punch?- Again, are they nu metal? Whatever...good band (to me).

That's about all the nu-metal I can think of right now...
----
Yea, I do like Nu Metal.
09.03.2010 - 01:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.03.2010 at 14:23
Because you sometimes say "long ago" and things like that. And now you're saying you started listening to metal in the late 80s so you most likely were a young teenager or older at that time.
I was 15 in 1988, so my guess is you were at least 12-13. We might not even have 4-5 years of difference. I'm 37.

Also, judging by the way you speak in general, I knew already you surely weren't a teenage girl. At least over 25, most likely over 30.

Do I really say things like "long ago"? Wow, that is a true sign that Im getting old. In 1988, I was 11, so you were right with your original guess.

Well, sadly you were right. I wish I was still under 30. lol
09.03.2010 - 08:00
blackwreath
Korn's debut (probably the best Nu Metal album of all time) is still very nice as is much of Follow The Leader and Issues. If you consider Rage Against The Machine to be Nu Metal I would say them as well. Other than that I guess like many others I outgrew most of those bands post-puberty.

I would consider Disturbed's Believe to be another I find interesting but unlike The Sickness it's quite a departure melodically and lyrically from the style we call Nu Metal.
12.03.2010 - 18:52
Nightangel
I like Evanescence - Fallen, Origin, not so much enjoy their new album. Amy's vocals is really strong and beautiful.
13.03.2010 - 05:24
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by blackwreath on 09.03.2010 at 08:00

The Sickness it's quite a departure melodically and lyrically from the style we call Nu Metal.

I dunno, that was probably their most nu-metal album, as it had the most hip-hop influence, which is a fairly big part of early nu-metal. The rest of their stuff could also be considered alt-metal or hard rock, but their first album is straight-up nu-metal.
23.03.2010 - 07:02
Vathek
One of the most underrated (and now defunct ) bands in the world

BLOODSIMPLE

that Nu-metal groove, but without some of the more wince inducing cheesiness... His lyrics are amazing too.
----
"Nothing is Real. Everything is Permitted."
25.03.2010 - 11:20
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
Im gonna go with Slipknot. Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses is one of my favorite albums, but I wasn't crazy about All Hope Is Gone. Some of the songs were really great, but as a whole I felt it did not live up to the hype. But still Vol. 3 kicks ass.
----
Seize the weed of production!
14.04.2010 - 17:12
Kennoth
Korn, Disturbed (only their first album is nu-metal, the rest are just hard rock/heavy metal), Drowning Pool (only the first album, and that's not really nu metal anyway), Mudvayne, Sevendust (they arent nu metal at all, but they are alternative)
----
*insert something deep and profound*
01.05.2010 - 13:09
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I just listened to Saliva's latest work Cinco Diablo and it was a damn disappointment..

They simply lost what makes them nu metal, on early albums there was a nice rap/hip hop vocal, the songs had a nice catchy and animated tone, sounding exactly like the mainstrem nu metal should sound.

But on their latest work they have become seriously emo! Cinco Diablo is a romantic album, close to what Nickelback and Puddle Of Mudd had become. Almost pop rock...

Another good nu metal band falls in disgrace...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
01.05.2010 - 17:00
I_Die_Often
Quote:
I wish I was still under 30. lol

...I hear ya...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
01.06.2010 - 14:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
Besides the occasional Dope song, nothing.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.06.2010 - 15:45
Kennoth
Wtf? I like Evanescence a lot (had a serious hots for Amy back in the days), but the topic title is nu-metal bands you like.
----
01.06.2010 - 15:45
Kennoth
Written by vezzy on 01.06.2010 at 14:57

That's industrial. And I really don't know the reason for you being on this topic to be honest...
----
01.06.2010 - 15:48
Kennoth
Written by Xim on 13.03.2010 at 05:24

Written by blackwreath on 09.03.2010 at 08:00

The Sickness it's quite a departure melodically and lyrically from the style we call Nu Metal.

I dunno, that was probably their most nu-metal album, as it had the most hip-hop influence, which is a fairly big part of early nu-metal. The rest of their stuff could also be considered alt-metal or hard rock, but their first album is straight-up nu-metal.

He was referring to Believe, dunno if you are too...but anyway...I really dig their current style. They keep changing their music, but you can still always recognize them and say: Hey, that's Disturbed!

Can't wait for Asylum. And oh btw, Believe is my favorite album from them, I simply love the ballads! (Mistress, Devour, Darkness)
----
01.06.2010 - 15:56
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kennoth on 01.06.2010 at 15:45

Written by vezzy on 01.06.2010 at 14:57

That's industrial. And I really don't know the reason for you being on this topic to be honest...

More like industrial with nu metal influences... but yeah, more on the former side.
----
01.06.2010 - 18:55
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by Kennoth on 01.06.2010 at 15:48

He was referring to Believe, dunno if you are too...but anyway...I really dig their current style. They keep changing their music, but you can still always recognize them and say: Hey, that's Disturbed!

Can't wait for Asylum. And oh btw, Believe is my favorite album from them, I simply love the ballads! (Mistress, Devour, Darkness)

It really seemed like he was referring to The Sickness.

And yeah, I agree that I like their current style alot. But 10 Thousand Fists was when they got really good for me.
04.06.2010 - 03:18
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
The new Taproot is pretty good...they went back to their harder roots ala "Gift"
----
rekt
04.06.2010 - 17:16
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Korn !
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
22.06.2010 - 02:51
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Can't wait for the new limp bizkit album though haha
----

22.06.2010 - 11:23
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 22.06.2010 at 02:51

The only reason to buy it is to burn it in public.
----
22.06.2010 - 16:20
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by vezzy on 22.06.2010 at 11:23

nah, i'd listen to it ... have a good laugh ... but i wouldnt buy it though... illegal download all the way !!! haha
----

22.06.2010 - 16:33
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 22.06.2010 at 16:20

Written by vezzy on 22.06.2010 at 11:23

nah, i'd listen to it ... have a good laugh ... but i wouldnt buy it though... illegal download all the way !!! haha

The only way you can get any sort of entertainment in the third world...
----
27.06.2010 - 19:41
Disturbed and Deftones are already listed on my page. ATM, they're among my favourite bands. Deftones eventually gravitated towards a much more experimental sound, and they became a lot better for it. As for Disturbed, the change they made with Ten Thousand Fists was a very welcome one; a lot of the stuff on The Sickness sucked. Aside from those two bands, I like the following:

Korn - They have a better grasp of the style, I feel, and they don't seem as soulless as some of the other bands in the genre. With that said, since Take a Look in the Mirror they've been shit, which is a shame.

Evanescence - I don't consider them to be nu-metal at all, aside from "Bring Me to Life", but I'll mention them here anyway. Evanescence's biggest draw is Amy Lee's voice; they're not that great a band, and are mediocre compared to a lot of the other bands referred to as "gothic metal" (a genre that, IMO, Evanescence doesn't belong to), but compared to the large bulk of bands called "nu-metal", they're pretty good.

System of a Down - As with Evanescence, I don't consider them nu-metal at all; in fact, they're even further away from the genre than Evanescence. The musicians in the band are talented, and their more absurd lyrics would make Faith No More jealous. Daron Malakian's vocals are annoying, though, and the weak point of Mezmerize/Hypnotize was that they were given more prominence.
28.06.2010 - 19:25
Kennoth
Written by RobotPolarBear on 27.06.2010 at 19:41

Evanescence - I don't consider them to be nu-metal at all, aside from "Bring Me to Life", but I'll mention them here anyway. Evanescence's biggest draw is Amy Lee's voice; they're not that great a band, and are mediocre compared to a lot of the other bands referred to as "gothic metal" (a genre that, IMO, Evanescence doesn't belong to), but compared to the large bulk of bands called "nu-metal", they're pretty good.

Why mentioning them? They're gothic rock, with some metal elements, but not enough to be gothic metal. Pretty simple.
This is the first time I've ever heard someone mentioning them with nu metal, only possible if one is equaling nu-metal with mainstream, in that case, Lady Gaga would be nu metal too.

SOAD is pure alternative metal. It's getting pretty tired listening how people number them into nu metal bands, when in fact they aren't one. There are elements, yes, but that's it.
----