03. Symbol Of Life
04. Reincarnation
05. Lullaby
06. End Of The Game
07. Beyond The Darkest Sun
08. Forevermore
09. Break The Core
10. Remedy Of My Heart

When I saw that a new band was opening up their first album with a track called "Out of the World", I figured they needed the chops to back it up. The band Sunburst from Larissa, Greece convinced me within twenty seconds. Their brand of progressive power metal had me on board so fast I can already tell you this is going to be an album of the year contender for 2016. It is that simple. Why?

Imagine the good parts of Dream Theater music meeting Nevermore crushing guitar riffs and solos with a vocalist who could tour with Kamelot. It also reminds me of Symphony X and Evergrey. I mean no disrespect to the actual musicians of Sunburst by using all these comparisons. Their music is so in league with the aforementioned bands in both creativity and execution it is hard to conceive that Fragments of Creation is their debut album.

Singer Vasilis Georgiou does sound amazingly like Roy Khan in his Conception years, which is a huge compliment since I always thought that no one could ever sound as great as him. His master class vocal delivery is definitely a highlight. Gus Drax on guitars lays down killer riff after killer riff, and some ultra-dynamic solos that rival the best of the top bands in the genre. Echoes of Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci and Michael Romeo can be heard through the songs. Kostas Milonas on drums and Nick Grey on bass provide an ultra-solid rhythmic foundation that has nothing to envy from more established combos like Nevermore and Vanden Plas. Bob Katsionis from Firewind-fame added his special touch on keyboards to really cement Fragments of Creation as a very solid effort.

The songs are complex yet mesmerizing. Chosen moments include "Dementia" a perfect example of what a prog power hit single should be, "Beyond the Darkest Sun" a shiver-inducing instrumental tour-de-force, and the last track called "Remedy of my Heart", an epic 12-minute journey that brings the record to a close in an impressive fashion. The heavy modern production adds a lot to the songs. And on top of it all the cover art and booklet are beautiful.

So there you have it. Look no further for my staff pick of the month and an amazing album of progressive power metal that should top the charts in 2016. Fragments of Creation will make waves in the musical world and establish Sunburst as one of the best newcomers. Again, this is album of the year material, pure and simple.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 03.02.2016 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 13   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 485 users
03.02.2016 - 04:45
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Definitely checking this out

Only heard "Dementia" so far. Great stuff and the guy has got some voice on him . Adding the album to my shopping list for when it's out.
03.02.2016 - 07:33
Wukk

You sure know how to sell an album. I've never heard of Sunburst and I really want to hear this now.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
03.02.2016 - 15:46
Rating: 8
mariano

Written by Dream Taster on 03.02.2016 at 07:33

Singer Vasilis Georgiou does sound amazingly like Roy Khan in his Conception years, which is a huge compliment since I always thought that no one could ever sound as great as him.

...well, actually Tommy Karevik mimics Roy Khan so well that many people didn't realize Roy left Kamelot

Anyway, there are references to all the bands I like the most. I'm sold.
04.02.2016 - 10:00
diamondblack

Sound great
04.02.2016 - 10:18
slim pickings
Account deleted
I'll try to find this and listen to it. You made me curious.
04.02.2016 - 14:01
deIngrid

I knew the cd would be great. I saw them live in Mons Belgium, in 2014. Still waiting for the cd to come out. Only 1 month now, for the official release. finally.
05.02.2016 - 18:13
Panterica

Damn I'm sold! definitely gonna check it out!
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
11.02.2016 - 17:41
thehondo

Great Review! That sounds like everything I love. Can't wait!
----
No time like the present
21.02.2016 - 05:58
RockSplendid

I listened to "Dementia" and watched their music video; I loved the vocal!
09.03.2016 - 00:02
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Kamelot singer soundalike plus some stolen riffs (the review is spot on in this department: Nevermore, Kamelot, Dream Theater, Symphony X). Ok, not stolen, re-used. Also, ZERO own ideas, only recycling of someone else's. Quite shameless, I must say.

I agree with the rating, but only if the number is turned upside down. And that's generous. Even 6 is too high, a 5 seems accurate).
10.03.2016 - 10:49
Alondate

Title and song names are really cheesy but I am in love with this album
13.03.2016 - 13:00
slim pickings
Account deleted
An OK album but that's pretty much it; the album starts off well but went downhill for me half way through. I won't be listening to it any time soon.
06.12.2016 - 09:24
Prinsipoy77

The vocalist sound very very close to roy khan...i am so happy to find this band.

Hits total: 14400 | This month: 12