Metal Storm logo
Metal bands that sound nothing like where they're from

Original post

Posted by Graveheart, 16.03.2007 - 21:48
The search results told me this is a new idea for discussion, though I hope I'm not the only one interested in this.

Once I was wondering if every country had an original sound in metal, and also realised there are always some bands that somehow stand apart from their fellow countrymen. It's not specifically about who can hide their accents better than the rest or something. Instead I'm asking if you have ever listened to a band and only later found out about their homeland and then felt really surprised. That could be because their metal represents a completely another style that their home country isn't known to produce (such as progressive metal from Finland) or they do something familiar in a different way which is more characteristic to a band from some other country. Probably the most obvious example is Agalloch who sound far different from a typical American metal band.

Of course this thread requires you to know something about different metal scenes around the world. No one can blame you for trying, however it would be a lot safer to talk about French metal bands (for example) only after you have heard enough French metal to say which band from there is or isn't exactly like the rest of their offerings. At first I was going to advise you to avoid making stereotypes, but then I thought it over again and decided that we might actually need them. After all, this is all about stereotypes. It will result in hurt feelings and angry PMs, but stereotyping seems to be something that will keep this discussion going. It would also be interesting to see what kind of images people have about foreign metal scenes (native ones too) in an international scale.

Now make this work.
17.05.2007 - 15:03
Graveheart

Written by Warman on 16.05.2007 at 16:06

I actually thought Dream Theater were european at first, from UK or something like that. Don't know why really...

Well that's strange, because I think Dream Theater is one of the most distinctive American metal bands... for example the Scenes from a Memory concept feels like a "possible only in the USA" thing. And all the gunshots and other sound samples in Finally Free remind me of some Hollywood action thriller or something. God these stereotypes rule . No offence to Americans though.
17.05.2007 - 15:12
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
A big one for me is Nomans Land, they are Viking Metal, and you would have a good guess at Norwegian, but Russian? That one was a wow, mainly because its the first Russian band i have anything from.
17.05.2007 - 19:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Cornatus on 17.05.2007 at 15:12

A big one for me is Nomans Land, they are Viking Metal, and you would have a good guess at Norwegian, but Russian? That one was a wow, mainly because its the first Russian band i have anything from.

Well in Russis are such bands a lot of only unknown BTW there are good black, doom scene man I cant give you name snow but i had hera some viking bands who kick ass whit gooid metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.05.2007 - 19:29
Hatebreeder_509
Account deleted
at first i found it unbelievable that kamelot was from the u.s. ...
17.05.2007 - 19:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.05.2007 at 19:29

I agree man about it specely leithest albums, old Kamelot ist like US power metal ist great but leithest
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2007 - 21:31
SteTech

Written by Bad English on 17.05.2007 at 19:32

I agree man about it specely leithest albums, old Kamelot ist like US power metal ist great but leithest

But Roy Kahn's Norwegian isn't he?

I thought Immolation were Polish, but they're from New York!
17.05.2007 - 23:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by SteTech on 17.05.2007 at 21:31

Written by Bad English on 17.05.2007 at 19:32

But Roy Kahn's Norwegian isn't he?

I thought Immolation were Polish, but they're from New York!

sorry man im not so DEEP in that band I cant help you

Andf even of he are in that case in Norway hasnt such power bands only what I know are Gaia Epicus if it was corect name
----

apos;'
[image]
18.05.2007 - 04:09
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Yes Khan is Norwegian to answer your question.
18.05.2007 - 16:17
SteTech

Thought so, and Pagan's Mind are a Norwegian power metal band
19.05.2007 - 09:20
gecko

uhm... enforsaken...
19.05.2007 - 12:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by gecko on 19.05.2007 at 09:20

uhm... enforsaken...

I didnt understand, maybe you can explain more
----

apos;'
[image]
20.05.2007 - 07:39
gecko

Written by Bad English on 19.05.2007 at 12:18

Written by gecko on 19.05.2007 at 09:20

uhm... enforsaken...

I didnt understand, maybe you can explain more

oh yeah... sorry....
I was trying to say that the first time I heard Enforsaken I thought it was an European band... then find out that they were from the US
21.05.2007 - 19:19
Hatebreeder_509
Account deleted
wow ... i didnt know he was from norway... cool ... ive never heard of enforsaken ... are they good?
21.05.2007 - 19:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Bishop of Hexen Izrealian Shyimpho BM band but when I first time hear 'Archives of Ancient phylosophy' I was thinking 60%germany then 40% Norway but when I find out its Izreal iw as suprised
----

apos;'
[image]
23.05.2007 - 19:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ~Starchild~ on 23.05.2007 at 19:23

at the beginning i was rather surprised to see that destruction & sodom are both from germany, i'd have guessed 100% american.

You forrgot Holy Moses and Kreator too

But why you think so about Sodom, and Destruction thay sound smore like Euro type of metal more like Bulldozer. Venom, Root, Thoor.
One guitar/vocals, bass and drums US bands use 2 guitars
----

apos;'
[image]
23.05.2007 - 22:56
gecko

Written by Guest on 21.05.2007 at 19:19

wow ... i didnt know he was from norway... cool ... ive never heard of enforsaken ... are they good?

Well that depend on wich style you like... Enforsaken plays Melodic Death... Gottemburg Metal, I really like their music! you should take a look at them, It's a shame that they were recently disbanded... Hope their new proyect is as good as they were...
24.05.2007 - 19:34
Hatebreeder_509
Account deleted
im into everything... exept gwar... *shudder* ill check them out...
25.05.2007 - 14:58
Sunioj

Written by Bad English on 21.05.2007 at 19:27

Bishop of Hexen Izrealian Shyimpho BM band but when I first time hear 'Archives of Ancient phylosophy' I was thinking 60%germany then 40% Norway but when I find out its Izreal iw as suprised

Holy crap, I didnt know they were well known, I heard about them for a gig but I passed....cool though, now I know to check them out.
26.05.2007 - 14:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sunioj on 25.05.2007 at 14:58

Written by Bad English on 21.05.2007 at 19:27

Holy crap, I didnt know they were well known, I heard about them for a gig but I passed....cool though, now I know to check them out.

How it came I didnt recaved it quote

Ok you shood try demo if can get and album 'Archives of Ancient Phylosophgy' newer album its not so important to by
----

apos;'
[image]
01.06.2007 - 16:38
scskowron
War Paladin
Abyssic Hate....from Australia? Never would have guessed.

Also, Weakling does NOT sound like an American band, more like a Norwegian or Finnish band I would guess.
18.11.2007 - 15:21
NaittsirK

Apocalyptica(new stuff) sound 100% American.....to me:noidea:
----
Between two worlds I am quested not to be...
18.11.2007 - 15:40
GT
Coffee!!
Deathstars sounds so German...but they're Swedish! and very good
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
19.11.2007 - 10:24
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Perhaps it's been said but, Wormtongue is from Virginia, USA but the one man band actually creates very good, and solid sounding black metal. It seem's like a lot of USBM has too much cultural influence that make's it seem less black and more along the lines of death, or other metal type's.
29.11.2007 - 23:50
miss_d

lapsus does not sound like what you'd expect when you hear "italy"
http://www.myspace.com/lapsusband
melodic aggressiv deathmetal
30.11.2007 - 00:24
Ellie
Account deleted
When I found out Agalloch was from America; I was really surprised. It did make me proud though
30.11.2007 - 00:43
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Warman on 16.05.2007 at 16:06

I actually thought Dream Theater were european at first, from UK or something like that. Don't know why really...

Only 4 of the five members are American.
----
(space for rent)
30.11.2007 - 05:03
Oracle
Orcinus
I had no idea that Dungeon were Australian when i first heard of them lol. I thought they were from the US hahaha. i feel sooo silly
22.06.2008 - 19:23
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i agree that agalloch, don't sound like americans for some reason, they sound more europeon, like from some tiny settlement buried under snow that never sees the sun...don't ask me why haha
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
22.06.2008 - 22:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Necrogeddon on 22.06.2008 at 19:23

i agree that agalloch, don't sound like americans for some reason, they sound more europeon, like from some tiny settlement buried under snow that never sees the sun...don't ask me why haha

I agree somehow remaindsd me Romanian, or Scadinavian band, band where in home land are mountains and fogs(In Europa)
----

apos;'
[image]
22.06.2008 - 22:02
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Written by Bad English on 22.06.2008 at 22:01

Written by Necrogeddon on 22.06.2008 at 19:23

I agree somehow remaindsd me Romanian, or Scadinavian band, band where in home land are mountains and fogs(In Europa)

exactly! this is how i imagine them playing and recording, in like hut in a foggy snow covered mountain
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'