Metal Storm logo
Metal bands that sound nothing like where they're from

Original post

Posted by Graveheart, 16.03.2007 - 21:48
The search results told me this is a new idea for discussion, though I hope I'm not the only one interested in this.

Once I was wondering if every country had an original sound in metal, and also realised there are always some bands that somehow stand apart from their fellow countrymen. It's not specifically about who can hide their accents better than the rest or something. Instead I'm asking if you have ever listened to a band and only later found out about their homeland and then felt really surprised. That could be because their metal represents a completely another style that their home country isn't known to produce (such as progressive metal from Finland) or they do something familiar in a different way which is more characteristic to a band from some other country. Probably the most obvious example is Agalloch who sound far different from a typical American metal band.

Of course this thread requires you to know something about different metal scenes around the world. No one can blame you for trying, however it would be a lot safer to talk about French metal bands (for example) only after you have heard enough French metal to say which band from there is or isn't exactly like the rest of their offerings. At first I was going to advise you to avoid making stereotypes, but then I thought it over again and decided that we might actually need them. After all, this is all about stereotypes. It will result in hurt feelings and angry PMs, but stereotyping seems to be something that will keep this discussion going. It would also be interesting to see what kind of images people have about foreign metal scenes (native ones too) in an international scale.

Now make this work.
22.06.2008 - 22:24
Inlé

Xentrix spring instantly to mind. Pure bay area style thrash from northern england XD

I guess you could say the same for mortal sin, especially their 2nd album.
22.06.2008 - 22:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Inlé on 22.06.2008 at 22:24

Xentrix spring instantly to mind. Pure bay area style thrash from northern england XD

I guess you could say the same for mortal sin, especially their 2nd album.

Can't say the same thing for Mortal Sin, now can you? Since they are from the land down under, Australia

But I know what you mena, although I do find that Xentrix has somehting typically English over them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2008 - 18:02
NuclearRedneck
Account deleted
The Scorpions FTW. I'd have guessed they were from Southern California, and then my Dad said they were German.
02.07.2008 - 05:18
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Symphony X sure doesn't sound like they're from New Jersey...I originally thought that they were from Europe...
02.07.2008 - 23:26
Gordon Freeman

Written by Necrogeddon on 22.06.2008 at 22:02

Written by Bad English on 22.06.2008 at 22:01

Written by Necrogeddon on 22.06.2008 at 19:23

i agree that agalloch, don't sound like americans for some reason, they sound more europeon, like from some tiny settlement buried under snow that never sees the sun...don't ask me why haha

I agree somehow remaindsd me Romanian, or Scadinavian band, band where in home land are mountains and fogs(In Europa)

exactly! this is how i imagine them playing and recording, in like hut in a foggy snow covered mountain

So what you are saying is that there is no fog, snow or mountains in America? Or perhaps you are saying that there is no combination of fog, snow and mountains in America.

Take a look at a few pictures of the wilderness in Oregon (a northwestern state in the U.S. and the home state of Agalloch.) There are striking similarites to the Scandanavian landscape. (high foggy mountains, old growth forests and the like)

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just pointing out that the U.S. is a pretty big country with all kinds of climates and biomes. It's not all corn fields and tall buildings over here.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
03.07.2008 - 00:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 02.07.2008 at 23:26

Written by Necrogeddon on 22.06.2008 at 22:02

Written by Bad English on 22.06.2008 at 22:01

Written by Necrogeddon on 22.06.2008 at 19:23

i agree that agalloch, don't sound like americans for some reason, they sound more europeon, like from some tiny settlement buried under snow that never sees the sun...don't ask me why haha

I agree somehow remaindsd me Romanian, or Scadinavian band, band where in home land are mountains and fogs(In Europa)

exactly! this is how i imagine them playing and recording, in like hut in a foggy snow covered mountain

So what you are saying is that there is no fog, snow or mountains in America? Or perhaps you are saying that there is no combination of fog, snow and mountains in America.

Take a look at a few pictures of the wilderness in Oregon (a northwestern state in the U.S. and the home state of Agalloch.) There are striking similarites to the Scandanavian landscape. (high foggy mountains, old growth forests and the like)

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just pointing out that the U.S. is a pretty big country with all kinds of climates and biomes. It's not all corn fields and tall buildings over here.

But not such thinks like there, ok Alaska whit Midnight sun, why not but who knows in Europe how looks Oregon (ok I know) US are to long, but Europe are my roots , my blood on my weins
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.07.2008 - 00:15
Gordon Freeman

Written by Bad English on 03.07.2008 at 00:10

But not such thinks like there, ok Alaska whit Midnight sun, why not but who knows in Europe how looks Oregon (ok I know) US are to long, but Europe are my roots , my blood on my weins

I suppose that's the point I was trying to make. You didn't know we have climates like that. Now you do.

Education is fun!!!
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

03.07.2008 - 00:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 03.07.2008 at 00:15

I suppose that's the point I was trying to make. You didn't know we have climates like that. Now you do.

Education is fun!!!

I know but Oregon are Oregon but Valahia/Transilvaia are translivania

even climate and nature are simmilar bvut buildings, gothic castles, people look and so ...
----

apos;'
[image]
03.07.2008 - 02:42
Gordon Freeman

Written by Bad English on 03.07.2008 at 00:41

Written by Gordon Freeman on 03.07.2008 at 00:15

Education is fun!!!

I know but Oregon are Oregon but Valahia/Transilvaia are translivania

even climate and nature are simmilar bvut buildings, gothic castles, people look and so ...

True, but I never really feel that medieval vibe with Agalloch. While they do have a strong nature theme (especially in Pale Folklore) there is also a depressed, rainy city vibe in their other albums which really suits cities in the northwestern states like Portland or Seattle.
----

03.07.2008 - 12:28
Graveheart

Written by Gordon Freeman on 03.07.2008 at 02:42

True, but I never really feel that medieval vibe with Agalloch. While they do have a strong nature theme (especially in Pale Folklore) there is also a depressed, rainy city vibe in their other albums which really suits cities in the northwestern states like Portland or Seattle.

Besides Agalloch, do you happen to know and possibly recommend any other metal bands from the Oregon state? Preferably with some similarities to Agalloch.
03.07.2008 - 13:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Graveheart on 03.07.2008 at 12:28

Besides Agalloch, do you happen to know and possibly recommend any other metal bands from the Oregon state? Preferably with some similarities to Agalloch.

Funeral doom - Himmelske, and stoner doom YOB
----

apos;'
[image]
03.07.2008 - 20:35
Gordon Freeman

Portland is full of Doom, Stoner, Sludge, and atmospheric bands. None of them really stand out (YOB being the notable exception) and none of them are really similar to Agalloch.
----

03.07.2008 - 22:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 03.07.2008 at 20:35

Portland is full of Doom, Stoner, Sludge, and atmospheric bands. None of them really stand out (YOB being the notable exception) and none of them are really similar to Agalloch.

There no simmilar bands hwo Agalloch into world IMO
----

apos;'
[image]
03.07.2008 - 22:22
Gordon Freeman

Written by Bad English on 03.07.2008 at 22:12

There no simmilar bands hwo Agalloch into world IMO

There are other bands out their that play the same post-rockish, slightly folkey version of doom metal, but none of them really SOUND anything like Agalloch.

They are a fairly unique band and one of my absolute favorites.
----

05.07.2008 - 16:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Summoning... They sound quite from Norway or something xD
And they're from Austria
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.07.2008 - 22:32
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Mago De OZ, if it werent for the vocals in spanish, I doubt anyone would guess they are from Spain. Other bands are Fragile Vastness or Riverside, would of never guessed they were from Greece and Poland respectably.
08.07.2008 - 22:48
Gordon Freeman

Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.07.2008 at 16:39

And they're from Austria

I never really felt anything was particularly Scandanavian about Summonings sound. They always seemed very Germanic to me.

Wow...I seem to be really arguementive on this thread...
----

09.07.2008 - 12:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.07.2008 at 16:39

And they're from Austria

Austria are simmilar such type mountains, fog, rain and shity weather, only summer are much better
----

apos;'
[image]
09.07.2008 - 13:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Well... that's of course my own opinion. I don't feel any kind of german feeling on their music.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.07.2008 - 15:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.07.2008 at 13:15

Well... that's of course my own opinion. I don't feel any kind of german feeling on their music.

there aren't but remeber Germany, norvegians, sweeds has sme roots
----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2008 - 22:50
Gordon Freeman

Come to think of it, we could probably argue that since they aren't from Mordor then they don't sound like where they are from...he he...
----

15.07.2008 - 13:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

But like I sad GERMANS are not only germans but norvegians, english, sweeds, duitch .... so there's some simmilarities
----

apos;'
[image]
17.07.2008 - 17:31
Conservationist

Divine Eve - sounds like they're from Sweden, but they're from TX
Intestine Baalism - sounds like they're from Sweden, but from Japan

...we all just want to be Swedes.
17.07.2008 - 17:33
Conservationist

Also, many Americans are of relatively consistent European heritage.
17.07.2008 - 18:18
Gordon Freeman

Written by Conservationist on 17.07.2008 at 17:33

Also, many Americans are of relatively consistent European heritage.

Yeah, but the blood has become so muddied that it is hard to tell anymore.
----

17.07.2008 - 22:24
Conservationist

Depends on the person. Most people who aren't FAIL are relatively consistent in staying among similar groups (for example, Koreans and Japanese and North Chinese; English, Germans and Nords; Mexicans and Salvadorians).

The melting pot is a total myth
22.08.2008 - 10:31
Oracle
Orcinus
I didnt realise Angra were from Brazil until last year :
They are a great band though
24.08.2008 - 23:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Ephel Duath...

That band is far from being the Power or Gothic metal that use to come from this country jejeje.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2008 - 00:59
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
the haunted
well at least to me at least
01.09.2008 - 17:05
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Guest on 05.07.2008 at 22:32

Mago De OZ, if it werent for the vocals in spanish, I doubt anyone would guess they are from Spain.

Quite the opposite, to be honest. Spain's main landmark in the world of Heavy Metal and Hard-Rock is the usage of Folk instruments and circular melodies, like Ars Amandi, Saurom, Avalanch, Medina Azahara and many others. If you said Avulsed I would agree, but come on, Mägo De Oz? I cannot understand.