Metal Storm logo
Metal bands that sound nothing like where they're from

Original post

Posted by Graveheart, 16.03.2007 - 21:48
The search results told me this is a new idea for discussion, though I hope I'm not the only one interested in this.

Once I was wondering if every country had an original sound in metal, and also realised there are always some bands that somehow stand apart from their fellow countrymen. It's not specifically about who can hide their accents better than the rest or something. Instead I'm asking if you have ever listened to a band and only later found out about their homeland and then felt really surprised. That could be because their metal represents a completely another style that their home country isn't known to produce (such as progressive metal from Finland) or they do something familiar in a different way which is more characteristic to a band from some other country. Probably the most obvious example is Agalloch who sound far different from a typical American metal band.

Of course this thread requires you to know something about different metal scenes around the world. No one can blame you for trying, however it would be a lot safer to talk about French metal bands (for example) only after you have heard enough French metal to say which band from there is or isn't exactly like the rest of their offerings. At first I was going to advise you to avoid making stereotypes, but then I thought it over again and decided that we might actually need them. After all, this is all about stereotypes. It will result in hurt feelings and angry PMs, but stereotyping seems to be something that will keep this discussion going. It would also be interesting to see what kind of images people have about foreign metal scenes (native ones too) in an international scale.

Now make this work.
06.09.2008 - 05:31
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
MANOWAR!!!
they even get more attention in shores that are foreign to them.
15.12.2008 - 10:54
combaticus12
Account deleted
Job for a Cowboy. They seriously don't sound like any Arizona music I'm familiar with
20.12.2008 - 10:18
Ascendant187

Virgin Black.

As far as I know they're from South Australia, which is a place I never would have associated with gothic metal. When I think of music from South Australia, I tend to think Hilltop Hoods or something like that, which isn't a good thing.
20.12.2008 - 19:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.12.2008 at 10:54

Job for a Cowboy. They seriously don't sound like any Arizona music I'm familiar with

and how sonds ''Arizona'' metal in that case?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.12.2008 - 09:19
combaticus12
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 20.12.2008 at 19:03

Written by Guest on 15.12.2008 at 10:54

and how sonds ''Arizona'' metal in that case?

Well I didn't say metal necessarily...let me put it this way: When I hear Job for a Cowboy, Arizona is the furthest thing from my mind.
15.04.2009 - 03:48
ToMegaTherion

Being an Australian i am going to mention two band simply because you don't associate Power Metal with Australia. Black Majesty and Axxxis. Perhaps the only two PM bands from Aus that i know of. Even then Axxis are now based in Germany.
15.04.2009 - 10:40
Beowulf

Nile, Egyption themed Death Metal. And they're from South Carolina. That makes no sense
15.04.2009 - 13:30
TormentoR.

Written by Beowulf on 15.04.2009 at 10:40

Nile, Egyption themed Death Metal. And they're from South Carolina. That makes no sense

Yea they re from America .. so what? They re the most original band out there cuz of that Egyptian-themed-thingy.

I mean , who wants a normal shity satan - or gore - or whatever themed band today anyway? everybody is trying to copy the old bands like CC, Deicide, Suffo, MA, Morgoth, Asphyx , Obituary and many more
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
15.04.2009 - 13:43
Beowulf

Written by TormentoR. on 15.04.2009 at 13:30

Written by Beowulf on 15.04.2009 at 10:40

Yea they re from America .. so what? They re the most original band out there cuz of that Egyptian-themed-thingy.

I mean , who wants a normal shity satan - or gore - or whatever themed band today anyway? everybody is trying to copy the old bands like CC, Deicide, Suffo, MA, Morgoth, Asphyx , Obituary and many more

I know. I love Nile, they're from my home town. I wasn't downing them, I was saying it doesn't make sense cause there's almost no Death Metal presence in the area.
15.04.2009 - 15:58
-Soulreaper-

Written by ToMegaTherion on 15.04.2009 at 03:48

Being an Australian i am going to mention two band simply because you don't associate Power Metal with Australia. Black Majesty and Axxxis. Perhaps the only two PM bands from Aus that i know of. Even then Axxis are now based in Germany.

When I heard Black Majesty for the first time I thought they were from Europe but then found out they were from Australia. It suprised me. But they are really damn good IMO.

Also, for the longest time I thought Manowar was from Germany or something. Not really by their sound I suppose but because they have such a huge following there.

Aggaloch and Wolves in the Throne Room I thought would have been from europe but they are from here in the US.
15.04.2009 - 16:15
Elio
Red Nightmare

What? Axxis are Australian? lol they sound German or Swedish to me
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.04.2009 - 17:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 15.04.2009 at 16:15

What? Axxis are Australian? lol they sound German or Swedish to me

Dunno aboutw aht Axxis he thought but I know one Axxis its from Germany
----

apos;'
[image]
15.04.2009 - 17:12
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.08.2008 at 23:44

Ephel Duath...

That band is far from being the Power or Gothic metal that use to come from this country jejeje.

Ahaha fortunately that's something else too

K7: I think he means the power metal band
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.04.2009 - 17:33
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ascendant187 on 20.12.2008 at 10:18

Virgin Black.

As far as I know they're from South Australia, which is a place I never would have associated with gothic metal. When I think of music from South Australia, I tend to think Hilltop Hoods or something like that, which isn't a good thing.

and I say that I cant understand how they are from Australia! their music is not Australia like! is it?
15.04.2009 - 17:44
thesabbathfan

Neuraxis, they sound like no other canadian band i know, and they fucking kick ass
----
15.04.2009 - 18:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 15.04.2009 at 17:12

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.08.2008 at 23:44

Ephel Duath...

That band is far from being the Power or Gothic metal that use to come from this country jejeje.

Ahaha fortunately that's something else too

K7: I think he means the power metal band

Even if he ment Axxes comes from Germany, they never has been connected whit Ausie
----

apos;'
[image]
15.04.2009 - 19:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Where do you get the idea from that Axxis started in Australia?
They are as German as they come. even all the band members were born in Germany.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.04.2009 - 21:15
-Soulreaper-

Yep, Axxis is from Germany. I have seen them play there a couple times too.
15.04.2009 - 21:33
Elio
Red Nightmare
Lol that guy is a bit confused then
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.04.2009 - 02:09
ToMegaTherion

Written by -Soulreaper- on 15.04.2009 at 21:15

I stand corrected Axxis are indeed German. My apologies. But i still maintain my opinion about Black Majesty
16.04.2009 - 15:14
-Soulreaper-

Written by ToMegaTherion on 16.04.2009 at 02:09

Written by -Soulreaper- on 15.04.2009 at 21:15

I stand corrected Axxis are indeed German. My apologies. But i still maintain my opinion about Black Majesty

And I agree with you 100% on that.
16.04.2009 - 16:18
Throne Dweller

Once upon a time I was on the Gaia metal forums [please, forgive me] and I found a wanker who seemed to know what he was talking about, found an album he liked and downloaded it.

It was The Aurora Veil demo by Neobliviscaris. I thought they were Swedish or something, but they're Australian. Australian metal has always been really bad, there's a few that shine; but for the most, it just sucks. Anyway, long and short, I went an saw them, bought a shirt and the demo. Ended up seeing them twice.

Bloody good stuff.
20.04.2009 - 15:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Throne Dweller on 16.04.2009 at 16:18

Once upon a time I was on the Gaia metal forums [please, forgive me] and I found a wanker who seemed to know what he was talking about, found an album he liked and downloaded it.

It was The Aurora Veil demo by Neobliviscaris. I thought they were Swedish or something, but they're Australian. Australian metal has always been really bad, there's a few that shine; but for the most, it just sucks. Anyway, long and short, I went an saw them, bought a shirt and the demo. Ended up seeing them twice.

Bloody good stuff.

IN general Australian metal is quite bad, but then again you have absolutely brilliant bands such as Alchemist, Stone Wings, Mournful Congregation, The Slow Death, dISEMBOWELMENT and of course GODS such as AC/DC, Rose Tattoo (yes, I am one of those old farts that considers those bands metal, cause they were called metal back in the day)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.04.2009 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.04.2009 at 15:43

dISEMBOWELMENT

I totally agree on that... From the beginning I always thought that they were from UK or from another place in Europe
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.04.2009 - 01:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.04.2009 at 17:48

dISEMBOWELMENT

I totally agree on that... From the beginning I always thought that they were from UK or from another place in Europe

Weird but before I heard this abnd I know its from Australia, so it wasnt suprise for me at all,
But nowdays there ain no suprise some guys from Nicaragua like Korpiklaani, they play such muisc there

Rose Tattoo I didnt know band is autsrlian
----

apos;'
[image]
23.04.2009 - 07:20
Hyvaarin

Australian metal has always been really bad, there's a few that shine; but for the most, it just sucks.

DESTRÖYER 666
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
24.04.2009 - 00:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hyvaarin on 23.04.2009 at 07:20

Australian metal has always been really bad, there's a few that shine; but for the most, it just sucks.

DESTRÖYER 666

Ad Infinitum, Arcana Necrosis, Elegoin, Elysium, Enter Twilight, Eyefear, Funeral Morning, Mhorgl, Raven Black Night, Rote More, Space Raven, Stribord, The Eternal ( Cryptal Darkness),This tangled Web

also: Abyssmal Sorrow, Avrigus, Doomed and Disgusting, Elysian Blaze, Long Voyage Back, Mournful Congregation

Bengal Tigers, Axatak, Pegazus, Tyrant , Virgin Soldiers, Black Alice, Trilogy, Mortal Sin, Light Force, Renegade, SAS, Taramis .......................prity bad huh IM kong man in that cas eif ausie scene is bad

From DOOM I know all, I had hera all, from firts list I have mp3 and last try vib of doom

EDDIT: I mean quote Throne Dweller not you
----

apos;'
[image]
25.04.2009 - 05:32
Throne Dweller

Bloody good stuff.

IN general Australian metal is quite bad, but then again you have absolutely brilliant bands such as Alchemist, Stone Wings, Mournful Congregation, The Slow Death, dISEMBOWELMENT and of course GODS such as AC/DC, Rose Tattoo (yes, I am one of those old farts that considers those bands metal, cause they were called metal back in the day)

I've gone through countless Australian based metal sites, plucking through all the bands I can find and really it's all the same. Most of the only ones who are decent, are really well known like your examples, or just need a bit of publicity on sites like MS.

For example, The Berzerker, Neobliviscaris, Empyrean, Be'lakor, Moridhel, Astriaal, Darklord, etc.

Kind of off topic: but I did find a brilliant Symphonic BM band, Lord Kaos, which unfortunately is disbanded. Worth a listen if you're into that stuff.
25.04.2009 - 16:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Throne Dweller on 25.04.2009 at 05:32

I've gone through countless Australian based metal sites, plucking through all the bands I can find and really it's all the same. Most of the only ones who are decent, are really well known like your examples, or just need a bit of publicity on sites like MS.

For example, The Berzerker, Neobliviscaris, Empyrean, Be'lakor, Moridhel, Astriaal, Darklord, etc.

Kind of off topic: but I did find a brilliant Symphonic BM band, Lord Kaos, which unfortunately is disbanded. Worth a listen if you're into that stuff.

Have you ever heard those:

Ad Infinitum, Arcana Necrosis, Elegoin, Elysium, Enter Twilight, Eyefear, Funeral Morning, Mhorgl, Raven Black Night, Rote More, Space Raven, Stribord, The Eternal ( Cryptal Darkness),This tangled Web

also: Abyssmal Sorrow, Avrigus, Doomed and Disgusting, Elysian Blaze, Long Voyage Back, Mournful Congregation

Bengal Tigers, Axatak, Pegazus, Tyrant , Virgin Soldiers, Black Alice, Trilogy, Mortal Sin, Light Force, Renegade, SAS, Taramis ?
----

apos;'
[image]
26.04.2009 - 05:25
Throne Dweller

Written by Bad English on 25.04.2009 at 16:11

Written by Throne Dweller on 25.04.2009 at 05:32

Have you ever heard those:

Bengal Tigers, Axatak, Pegazus, Tyrant , Virgin Soldiers, Black Alice, Trilogy, Mortal Sin, Light Force, Renegade, SAS, Taramis ?

Are they Australian? or are you just asking?
Either way, I don't think I've heard any of them, I'll give them a shot when I'm uncapped. :c