09. All Of Them Thieves
10. This Battle Chose Us
11. Zero Tolerance

Disc II [boxset/Digipak bonus]
01. Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't [live]
02. A.I.R. [live]
03. Caught In A Mosh [live]
04. Madhouse [live]

Among the giants of US Thrash metal, Anthrax has always been closest to my heart. Maybe it is an East Coast versus West Coast thing. In any case, we are lucky to have most of these bands still around. Much like Testament, Exodus and Death Angel, the New Yorkers are making a big statement with the release of For All Kings. Their previous album Worship Music saw the return of their talisman singer Joey Belladonna for what was a step in the right direction. Anticipation has had time to build seeing that this follow-up comes about 4 1/2 years later. Time seem to have no effect on the musicians of Anthrax. Their trademark sound has not changed one iota. Scott Ian is shredding like he alone knows how. Charlie Benante is pounding those drums in his very-recognizable beat. Frank Bello is grooving his usual sound. Joey Belladonna is singing his heart out. It feels like the band from 1987, just with a much cleaner production. The addition of Jonathan Donais of Shadows Fall-fame as second guitarist also has contributed to keeping the energy level up.

All of the tracks have effective hooks and plenty of punch. From the 7-minute long grand opener "You Gotta Believe" to the pseudo-power-ballad/heavy-metal-anthem "This Battle Chose Us", there is a nice spread of healthy ideas. "Evil Twin" is such a direct thrash piece that it has "pit song" written all over it. Another remarkable song is "Breathing Lightning", which has a killer groove a la Faith No More yet retains the integrity of an Anthrax song. To sum up, none of the songs are fillers. My favorite track keeps changing, which is also the sign of a great record. And while there is quite a bit of variety on For All Kings, it does feel like a tight and cohesive album. The digipack and boxset come with tasty live versions of four of the band's most well-known anthems. The recording sound is just dirty enough to make them enjoyable and true-to-form old-school metal.

For All Kings is a very solid album. It has the right assemblage of old school mentality and nowadays relevance. It is varied, full of energy and just so right. It is refreshing to hear Scott Ian and company produce something of this intensity in 2016. Thrash metal is alive and well. Thank you Anthrax.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 18.03.2016 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 250 users
18.03.2016 - 03:40
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Very enjoyable album. Thanks for the review. Amazing that they are able to release such a high quality album in 2016, so many years after their 80s heyday. Enjoy the lead guitar breaks by Jon Donais. Good addition to the band.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
18.03.2016 - 05:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Incredibly mediocre albumonce again.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2016 - 07:51
Daniell
_爱情_
Finally a good album from Anthrax after over 20 years of crap.
18.03.2016 - 12:24
slim pickings
Account deleted
^ 20 years of crap? I wouldn't say that. The other 3 Big Four bands did much worse than Anthrax.
The Bush era was more than ok, and Sound of White Noise was great.

I haven't listened to the new one yet, but I definitely will.
18.03.2016 - 13:30
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 18.03.2016 at 12:24

^ 20 years of crap? I wouldn't say that. The other 3 Big Four bands did much worse than Anthrax.

The quality of Anthrax's music has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of any other band's music.

Yes, 20 years of crap:

1993 - Sound of White Noise - a really good album, I liked it then and I still do now.
1995 - Stomp 442 - four good songs out of 11 = crap album
1998 - Volume 8 - No good songs at all = totally crap album
2003 - We've Come For You All - five good songs out of 15 (or so) = crap album
2011 - Worship Music - four good songs out of 13 = crap album
2016 - For All Kings - a good album finally.

To be precise, 2016 minus 1993 = 23 years of crap.
18.03.2016 - 13:39
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 18.03.2016 at 13:30

Written by Guest on 18.03.2016 at 12:24

The quality of Anthrax's music has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of any other band's music.

Yes, 20 years of crap:

1993 - Sound of White Noise - a really good album, I liked it then and I still do now.
1995 - Stomp 442 - four good songs out of 11 = crap album
1998 - Volume 8 - No good songs at all = totally crap album
2003 - We've Come For You All - five good songs out of 15 (or so) = crap album
2011 - Worship Music - four good songs out of 13 = crap album
2016 - For All Kings - a good album finally.

To be precise, 2016 minus 1993 = 23 years of crap.

I did not mean to say that the quality of Anthrax's music has got to do with the quality of the other 3 bands, but it seems that Anthrax gets some undeserved hate (IMO obviously), much more than the other three.

You say they've been doing crappy music since 1993, I just disagreed, that's all.
18.03.2016 - 13:52
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 18.03.2016 at 13:39

I did not mean to say that the quality of Anthrax's music has got to do with the quality of the other 3 bands, but it seems that Anthrax gets some undeserved hate (IMO obviously), much more than the other three.

Perhaps they do, but not from me. Even though I do think that in the last 20 years it was Anthrax who did the worst out the "big four".
Quote:

You say they've been doing crappy music since 1993, I just disagreed, that's all.

Fair enough. They have a strong fanbase, so there must be a lot of people who liked their albums more than me
18.03.2016 - 16:10
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Daniell on 18.03.2016 at 13:52

Written by Guest on 18.03.2016 at 13:39

Perhaps they do, but not from me. Even though I do think that in the last 20 years it was Anthrax who did the worst out the "big four".
Quote:

Fair enough. They have a strong fanbase, so there must be a lot of people who liked their albums more than me

I think Anthrax atm is the best out of all Big 4. Considering Metallica hit rock bottom with St. Anger and Lulu, Megadeth had many ups and downs, the latest being Super Collider. Megadeth actually can be credited as the most consistent Big 4 band throughout the 90s. As for Slayer, they have been crap since SOTA. Aside the Big 4, the non-Big 4 bands did much better, whether Testament, Overkill, Exodus or Death Angel, they released a couple of great albums. Overkill tops them all with 3 consecutive great albums (the latest 3).
18.03.2016 - 17:22
Tomas Piller

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 18.03.2016 at 16:10

I think Anthrax atm is the best out of all Big 4. Considering Metallica hit rock bottom with St. Anger and Lulu, Megadeth had many ups and downs, the latest being Super Collider. Megadeth actually can be credited as the most consistent Big 4 band throughout the 90s. As for Slayer, they have been crap since SOTA. Aside the Big 4, the non-Big 4 bands did much better, whether Testament, Overkill, Exodus or Death Angel, they released a couple of great albums. Overkill tops them all with 3 consecutive great albums (the latest 3).

That a band like Anthrax ever belonged to a group called "Big Thrash Four" is hilarious and stinks with the good old american exceptionalism, the fourth place absolutely belongs to Kreator.
And with what these 5 bands (big 4 & Kreator) produced since cca 2000, Kreator runs circles around all the other four's pathetic albums.
18.03.2016 - 17:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And someone once again doesn't seem to grasp the concept of The Big Four Of Thrash" it stands for the BIGGEST thrash bands at the time when it comes to sales figures of albums and how many people they drew when playing live.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2016 - 17:45
Tomas Piller

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2016 at 17:25

And someone once again doesn't seem to grasp the concept of The Big Four Of Thrash" it stands for the BIGGEST thrash bands at the time when it comes to sales figures of albums and how many people they drew when playing live.

C'mon, nobody talks about HOW it historically happened, it's on wikipedia, you know. The thing is they are still lauded to these days often just for having that tag attached and they look like Aquaman being part of Fantastic 4 - hilarious.
18.03.2016 - 19:01
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Tomas Piller on 18.03.2016 at 17:22

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 18.03.2016 at 16:10

That a band like Anthrax ever belonged to a group called "Big Thrash Four" is hilarious and stinks with the good old american exceptionalism, the fourth place absolutely belongs to Kreator.
And with what these 5 bands (big 4 & Kreator) produced since cca 2000, Kreator runs circles around all the other four's pathetic albums.

That's your opinion. If I were to include a German band into the Big 4, I would include Destruction. Their first 3 albums are amazing. Kreator is great, but their debut was very amateur work, and they sound too atonal some times. Sodom too primitive. Destruction were by far the best and most professional. Best thrash Germany offered. Songs like "Bestial Invasion" can never go wrong.
19.03.2016 - 04:34
UPDIRNS

Excellent thrash album. I like it just as much as Worship Music and I think that's one of their better albums. It's hard to believe they can still deliver performances like this. Best old school thrash album since Dark Roots IMO.
19.03.2016 - 08:48
Lord_Regnier

Written by Tomas Piller on 18.03.2016 at 17:22

Totally agree. Even though Kreator were awful in the 90's, since they came back to Thrash with "Violent Revolution" they released only very good albums.
Imo, from all Thrash bands who started in the 80's, Kreator is the only one to still release albums that worth a listening nowadays.

Metallica and Megadeth are disposable mainstream Metal bands and Slayer, as great as they were in the 80's, have not released anything interesting after "Seasons In The Abyss".
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
19.03.2016 - 22:17
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2016 at 17:25

i'm debating doing another of my articles on this so we can skip rehashing things over and again.

new album just doesn't do much of anything for me, ust like the last. meh.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.03.2016 - 13:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Maybe it is an East Coast versus West Coast thing

Sounds like a hip hop thing to me

anyway I agree this band must stop working new albums, but play live 80's albums. Like Twisted Sister does. 90's 00's albums are pretty lame and nothing
Even Maiden, Ac/Dc last are better as all from this bands lately
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.03.2016 - 23:24
Rating: 6
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I love Anthrax, but after a couple of spins, I find this album quite average, it's like they're not even trying to Thrash.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
31.03.2016 - 12:36
slim pickings
Account deleted
Finally managed to listen to this and what a pleasant surprise! Very good album.
01.11.2017 - 12:01
nikarg

This is the best the band has delivered since Persistence of Time. Very enjoyable album and better than the other recent Big releases. I never expected to say this because Anthrax have always been my least favourite from the Big 4.

Hits total: 7770 | This month: 12