03. Soul Intruders
04. Kill Devil Hill
05. Navigate The Seas Of The Sun
06. River Of No Return
07. Power Of The Sun
08. Devil On A Hog
09. Believil
10. A Tyranny Of Souls

It took Bruce Dickinson quite some time to revive on his solo career after rejoining Iron Maiden, so what kind of output would you expect from him? I guess to answer this we should look back on his last two studio albums in the 1990's 'Accident Of Birth' and 'Chemical Wedding', both were successful among fans and critics, both evoked the feeling of a Bruce's silent return to metal and thus to Iron Maiden and all people who thought or wished for that were rewarded. To now analyze 'Tyranny of Souls' simply compare the new songs with the afore mentioned albums.

Undeniably involved in the production a must-mention is of course Roy Z. But why name him first? The answer is easy his brandmark in terms of sound can be found on many of the songs.
Id est 'Soul Intruders' reminds strongly of Halford's 'Wrath Of God' on the riffing part or 'Devil On A Hog' seems to have a similar stylistic approach as Priest's 'Worth Fighting For' (both are kind of a modern Heavy Rock), on 'Kill Devil Hill' and 'Believil' you hear the resemblances to the 'Chemical Wedding' 'Navigate The Seas Of The Sun' as a ballad is comparable to 'Angel' by Judas Priest, for all those Roy Z is responsible, he is the connection between all of them, don't be foolish to think these are random similarities.

Atmospherically 'Tyranny...' is settled between 'Chemical...' and 'Accident...' with a little tendency to the latter. This time the production went rather straight, without special efforts like two songs fading into each other or the reprisal of a topic or melody. Expect no new inventions from this side. Strengths are as always Bruce Dickinson's singing and the optimum musicians for the project. Those people who complained about the production of Chemical Wedding may be satisfied this time. The album can be devided into three parts that show distinctive diversities. From the intro to 'Kill Devil Hill' is the first part, heavier songs mostly faster, while Kill Devil Hill is already a slower paced song, still belonging to the first part. Followed by the second part with the two songs 'Navigate The Seas Of The Sun' and 'River Of No Return' either slow or acoustically soft. Over to the unsteady last four songs, inconsistent in tempo, hardness or style.

All of the songs are good and fun to listen even for longer (you kinda know what you get before you buy it), but the album is too short with nine songs and one intro. 9.0 points

Written by Pierre Tombale | 27.08.2005

Staff review by
Jeff
Rating:
Everybody knows like me that a new Iron Maiden album or a new Bruce Dickinson release is always an event. After the Maiden's "Dance Of Death" this is now the turn of Mr Dickinson to release is new solo effort, "Tyranny Of Souls". I remember his last solo album, "The Chemical Wedding" that was a really good release and evidently seven years later, we all want to know if Bruce is still this great compositor. Don't worry mates actually he is always the same great musician and like a good bottle of wine, he is even better with some more year?

Read more ››
published 24.05.2005 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 21 users
28.03.2016 - 16:46
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I disagree here is Helford riffing but I think that song is not best, I don't know why he ever made a video for that song, other songs are better , Weakest song into album
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6818 | This month: 30