05. Amore -蒼星-
06. メタ太郎
07. シンコペーション
08. GJ!
09. Sis. Anger
10. No Rain, No Rainbow
11. Tales Of The Destinies
12. The One

Is it possible to review a band like this without becoming mired interminably in the comically astronomical depths of controversy that dog any and all assessments of them? No, I suppose it isn't. Babymetal are not reviled - they are super infinity-plus-one polarizing to a degree that defies precedent, enough to make dimethyl sulfoxide look like hexane. But now that we've acknowledged as much, let's discuss this album like adults, shall we?

I'll admit that when I first heard "Karate" I laughed like a maniac for the entire four minutes and 25 seconds - not out of derision, but because I could actually feel the fabric of reality tearing itself to shreds around my very being, and in spite of myself I couldn't stop listening to the song. As if Babymetal's very existence weren't cognitively dissonant enough, the psychonauts brought djent into the picture - and, more than that, thrashy djent. Many observers balk at the prospect of crediting Babymetal with anything remotely positive, but Babymetal have a tendency towards cross-genre experimentation that, though more the result of faceless songwriters than an artistic vision of the band itself, nonetheless keeps their albums alive and engaging in unexpected ways.

With the debut behind them as a solid proof-of-concept, Babymetal push themselves into heavier, faster, and more expansive territory on Metal Resistance. The J-pop and metal aspects feel much more complementary and better-integrated this time around; in addition, Su-metal, Moametal, and Yuimetal have become not only much stronger vocalists, but also more comfortable with their unusual mélange of styles. Overall, Metal Resistance boasts catchier, more consistent songwriting than its predecessor, and when paired with bolder performances and a more focused sense of direction, these songs take metal to its most unapologetically melodic fringes. Some of those who derided Babymetal may find Metal Resistance a lot more palatable due to the maturation of sound.

Anyone who can stomach DragonForce should have no objections to the opener, "Road Of Resistance," previously released as a collaboration with Herman Li and Sam Totman of said epic power-slingers; "Road Of Resistance" perfectly mirrors DragonForce at every turn, with the ironic twist that these three teenage Japanese girls have deeper voices than both of DragonForce's vocalists. "Amore" continues in the same lightning-power vein, while "GJ" echoes the fantastic djent of "Karate." The vaguely atmospheric djentronica of "From Dusk Till Dawn" desperately demands some explanation, but the song succeeds to a much greater degree than it should. "Meta Taro" sounds like a cross between Viking Sabaton and a First World War marching song; "Tales Of The Destinies" employs nonstandard time signatures and dueling keyboards and guitars to effectively capture the sound of anime-soundtrack- Haken (with some occasional Gloryhammer-ing splashed in for good measure).

I have to exercise an exorbitant degree of self-restraint so as not to detail the entire album song-by-song, but each individual work has its own personality and reflects another subgenre of metal that no one would have expected to hear in such an ineffable context. I hear Slipknot, Dream Theater, Gojira, and others inexplicably reflected here. Babymetal was a novelty - a highly enjoyable novelty, but a novelty nonetheless; Metal Resistance is a much more serious work, and a much more successful one. I certainly never thought in a million years that I'd ever say that the new Babymetal is better than the new Amon Amarth, much less that the new Babymetal is currently my album of the year, but this is the world we live in now.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written on 01.04.2016 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 120   Visited by: 942 users
01.04.2016 - 00:06
MetalDoomMaster

I'm way too close minded to listen to this band to find out if this is an April fools joke or not.
01.04.2016 - 00:16
Rating: 9
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Not sure if april fools or not, but in case not I pretty much agree with everything.
The first album is lotsa fun but this one... this one is even better :3
And that Tales of Destinies + The One combo too...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.04.2016 - 00:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
9.0 for Babymetal, huh? The butthurt on this thread should be good
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.04.2016 - 01:31
togo95

Lol, I didn't realise it was 1st of April until I saw this
01.04.2016 - 01:32
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Ah, 1st of April. Even if it wasn't, it would've still been a joke. Babymetal is a joke after all. Who can take them seriously anyway?
01.04.2016 - 02:04
no one
Account deleted
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 01.04.2016 at 01:32

Ah, 1st of April. Even if it wasn't, it would've still been a joke. Babymetal is a joke after all. Who can take them seriously anyway?

Karlason

Awesome april fools btw
01.04.2016 - 04:11
UPDIRNS

I just listened to these guys for the first time ever and they are very different that;s for sure. Very talented, even the vocals are good, just not for me. I do respect them and I hope they keep making music.
01.04.2016 - 05:05
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.04.2016 at 00:42

And I"m going to enjoy every moment of it.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
01.04.2016 - 05:06
no one
Account deleted
Written by UPDIRNS on 01.04.2016 at 04:11

I just listened to these guys for the first time ever and they are very different that;s for sure. Very talented, even the vocals are good, just not for me. I do respect them and I hope they keep making music.

Hahaha, april fools within an april fools
01.04.2016 - 05:32
Fearmeister
Account deleted
The fact that Steel has Babymetal rated highly on his votes makes me think that the timing is a happy accident
01.04.2016 - 06:52
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.04.2016 at 00:42

Gimme Gimme chocolate some popcorn too.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.04.2016 - 07:54
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 01.04.2016 at 01:32

Who can take any music seriously anyway?
01.04.2016 - 09:21
Nimlot
A. Reader
Yeah, it's a great album, but is it Deathday 666 great? Is it even close to what Foty-Two Tits accomplished? I don't think so.

Also, is anyone else getting random butterflies flying across the screen from time to time?
01.04.2016 - 09:43
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Oh come on, its 1st of April. You should give them at least 9.5
01.04.2016 - 10:05
Rating: 8
PocketMetal

Real opinion disguised as April fools? 'Cause there's nothing in the review that is particularly funny or over the top. Maybe the bit about it being album of the year, but we are just 3 months into 2016.
If it is an April fools, it's a cruel one.
01.04.2016 - 10:07
Rating: 6
Ruchesko

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 01.04.2016 at 00:06

I'm way too close minded to listen to this band to find out if this is an April fools joke or not.

Then open your damned mind!
01.04.2016 - 10:18
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by PocketMetal on 01.04.2016 at 10:05

Real opinion disguised as April fools?

Maybe its real, maybe its not. Fifty-fifty.
01.04.2016 - 11:32
Andreas

I found your 9.6 rated review of the latest Sabaton album funnier... I don't really have an (extreme) opinion on Babymetal.
01.04.2016 - 13:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Well, this new Babymetal isn't bad but certainly not great either. Total lack of coherence on that album with some horrendous songs (such as that balladish Disneytrack The One (I think it is called)) and the vocals are pretty abysmal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.04.2016 - 14:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.04.2016 at 13:46

Total lack of coherence on that album with some horrendous songs (such as that balladish Disneytrack The One (I think it is called)) and the vocals are pretty abysmal.

Keep it coming man, it's going great with the Pop Secret I got over here
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.04.2016 - 15:52
cobrapel
Concept One
awesome
01.04.2016 - 16:20
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I love it how everyone just assumes this was an april fools prank
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.04.2016 - 16:47
barnesy

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 01.04.2016 at 00:06

Very well put! My sentiments exactly.
01.04.2016 - 17:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Old Babymetal were much better
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.04.2016 - 17:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Nope. This record is actually very very good. Little bit force out marks given by Screaming and it went to 9, other than that, i think this is pretty 8 on my ally.

Great composition, flow of songs with fitted structure and these girls ain't that bad either.

Loves- flow of songs in actual structure.

Hates - Production.
01.04.2016 - 18:13
Vittra

"much less that the new Babymetal is currently my album of the year, but this is the world we live in now."

Are you fucking stupid?
01.04.2016 - 18:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Vittra on 01.04.2016 at 18:13

"much less that the new Babymetal is currently my album of the year, but this is the world we live in now."

Are you fucking stupid?

Well, he gave the latest Sabaton album a 9.6 Does that answer your question?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.04.2016 - 18:22
Vittra

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.04.2016 at 18:15

Are you fucking stupid?

well, Mental Hospital coming up
01.04.2016 - 19:09
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.04.2016 at 18:15

Are you fucking stupid?

----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.04.2016 - 19:15
Fat & Sassy!

You beautiful, brave son-of-a-bitch.

Hits total: 32140 | This month: 23