Album: Believe In No Coming Shore
Release date: November 2014

01. Blue Misshapen Dusk
02. Ancestors Of Shadow
03. Ancestors Of Smoke
04. Waxen Voices
05. Spectral Eyes
06. Believe In No Coming Shore

Falls Of Rauros' third album, The Light That Dwells In Rotten Wood, was a solid atmospheric black metal album, that gained them a decent amount of recognition, but left something to be desired in both songwriting and originality. However, this 2011 effort did demonstrate that back then they still had a lot of potential to become one of the genre's outstanding bands. All Falls Of Rauros needed to do with their next album, was to take a few more risks and elevate their songwriting to new heights. Easier said than done of course, but certainly not too much to ask, based on their previous works. Unfortunately, Believe In No Coming Shore is not a step up, it is a step down and Falls Of Rauros are increasingly becoming "a great band, that might have been."

Pretty much everything negative that could be said about The Light That Dwells In Rotten Wood can be said about Believe In No Coming Shore, but to a higher degree. This album lacks originality; it lacks any sort of edge. Meaning it doesn't challenge the listener in any way and, despite having quite a few beautiful acoustic melodies, such as the opening of "Waxen Voices" or the album's closing melody, and acceptable riffs, there's nothing at all on Believe In No Coming Shore that sticks with you once the 42 minutes are over.

In addition to being generally forgettable and lacking any originality, Believe In No Coming Shore also suffers from poor production when it comes to the drums, which sound as if they were mixed in with no care at all. The drums sound muffled and at times become seriously distracting; they really are terrible. This is especially odd since the guitar sounds good and the vocals aren't too bad either.

Poor production aside, Believe In No Coming Shore simply isn't anything special, which is a shame. The fourth album is not a time to play it safe, especially in a genre that has become very overcrowded with bands who are playing it safe. Will most listeners of atmospheric black be able to enjoy this album? Yes, most likely. Those of us, looking for albums that make one fall in love with the genre all over again, shall have to look somewhere else.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 3
Production: 6

Written by Metren | 07.03.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 14 users
01.04.2016 - 02:51
titmo71

Highly disagree. I'd give it a solid 8.(at least)
04.04.2016 - 01:20
no one
Account deleted
I dont care about the drums but i agree this reviews pretty spot on
01.09.2016 - 16:17
Rating: 6
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by titmo71 on 01.04.2016 at 02:51

Highly disagree. I'd give it a solid 8.(at least)

Why do you rate this album so highly? What's so great about it? I'm really curious and would appreciate a more in-depth response, if you've got the time of course
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 2819 | This month: 13