Metal Storm logo
What music genre do you feel is in greater need or reformation?

Poll

What music genre do you feel is in greater need or reformation?

Hip hop
Rock
Pop
Country
Other
R&B
Electronic

Total votes: 22
01.04.2016 - 17:08
vgmaster9

Out of these popular music genres, which one do you think is needs a lot of reformation?
01.04.2016 - 22:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Hip hop.
people should realize hip hop does not need to be sang by a guy with a deep gangsta wannabe voice. If the variety of vocals would start being employed broadly it would become a far more interesting genre, I believe.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
04.04.2016 - 02:25
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Hip Hop is just like thrash metal. The older the better.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
04.04.2016 - 21:49
theFIST

Rock won"t ever be reformed to some glory day spirit, there"ll keep being a few gems every now and then, but otherwise it"s core is outgrown and used up
pop is just what ist popular at the moment, it has always been a pile of garbage with a few outliers that keep getting remembered
i don"t like hip hop, won"t like what it"d be reformed to either
same for r&b
i don"t think country needs reform, remi gaillard is doing his part in promoting hank 3, and in a while country"ll have fixed itself that way
also don"t like electroni, and it is unlikely for any reform of it to be something i"d like
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
06.04.2016 - 15:12
IronAngel

Eh, I like them all (except I don't really know R&B) and they all have something interesting and fresh going on. Don't think any of them need a "reform" so much as a good mixture of artists doing pushing the envelope on the one hand and those getting back to good old basics. In general, "genre politics" don't interest me very much. I love Townes van Zandt, but I also love it when new artists play old school country, or when they do something new with. With country, though, I have not heard much notable innovation since Sixteen Horsepower and Woven Hand - the latter's been doing pretty much the same thing for years now, and I don't know anyone that would have picked it up and developed it further.

Out of these, mainstream rock and r&b are probably the least interesting and most stagnant, though.

EDIT: I may be wrong about R&B though, since I've listened so little. But I just now remembered Erykah Badu and Janelle Monáe who seem interesting, and D'Angelo and Frank Ocean caused quite a stir recently. Dunno how innovative the latter two are or if it's just nostalgia.
07.04.2016 - 20:15
Enteroctopus

Seems to me genres die wherever they are strong for awhile then reawaken somewhere else, often another continent. Rock bounced back and forth between the US and UK a few times; you had your Chubby Checker kind of thing, then The Beatles and the Stones, then the 60's revolution in the US, then all that musical ownage that was Zeppelin, The Who, on and on. I think it works that way with music.

There's some interesting stuff happening in Korea, for example. Could be the next metal revolution! Seems like the Asians don't carry the baggage about, "Well, hip hop is 'black' music," and they just do it, even though some black kids in NYC might make fun of them if they could. It doesn't matter, but I think younger people in the US might think about that, maybe they will form a more "traditional" band as opposed to trying to do something they're not "supposed" to do because of race or geography..

Southern rock out of Tokyo!

Why the Hell not? Can't exactly do it if you live in Maine.

Geography's important, man. I think we'll see a lot of good stuff out of China and the Middle East, even parts of Africa that aren't complete shitholes, like Kenya or South Africa. Great music comes from just the right amount of economic and cultural tension - too much and you are living in a Port-o-Potty with 1,000,000 other refugees, too little and you're a spoiled little rich shit like Mylie Cyrus.

Gotta have enough dough to afford a six string and six strings to put on it, and struggle enough in life where people can relate to it - like Black Sabbath back in the day!!

Birmingham in 1967 is a perfect example: blue collar, kind of a shitty place to be. Still, you could get yourself an amp, you know?
07.04.2016 - 20:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Enteroctopus on 07.04.2016 at 20:15

There's some interesting stuff happening in Korea, for example. Could be the next metal revolution! Seems like the Asians don't carry the baggage about, "Well, hip hop is 'black' music," and they just do it, even though some black kids in NYC might make fun of them if they could.

that's exactly why asia (especially Japan) is the best place to find diverse and awesome music
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.04.2016 - 04:44
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Awesome and diverse like Corrupted, Babymetal or Ladybaby \m/
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.02.2017 - 06:38
Netzach
Planewalker
I voted "Other". Reggae needs to get its shit together.
30.03.2017 - 05:09
Winter Heathen

Seems to me genres die wherever they are strong for awhile then reawaken somewhere else, often another continent. Rock bounced back and forth between the US and UK a few times; you had your Chubby Checker kind of thing, then The Beatles and the Stones, then the 60's revolution in the US, then all that musical ownage that was Zeppelin, The Who, on and on. I think it works that way with music.

There's some interesting stuff happening in Korea, for example. Could be the next metal revolution! Seems like the Asians don't carry the baggage about, "Well, hip hop is 'black' music," and they just do it, even though some black kids in NYC might make fun of them if they could. It doesn't matter, but I think younger people in the US might think about that, maybe they will form a more "traditional" band as opposed to trying to do something they're not "supposed" to do because of race or geography..

Southern rock out of Tokyo!

Why the Hell not? Can't exactly do it if you live in Maine.

Geography's important, man. I think we'll see a lot of good stuff out of China and the Middle East, even parts of Africa that aren't complete shitholes, like Kenya or South Africa. Great music comes from just the right amount of economic and cultural tension - too much and you are living in a Port-o-Potty with 1,000,000 other refugees, too little and you're a spoiled little rich shit like Mylie Cyrus.

Gotta have enough dough to afford a six string and six strings to put on it, and struggle enough in life where people can relate to it - like Black Sabbath back in the day!!

Birmingham in 1967 is a perfect example: blue collar, kind of a shitty place to be. Still, you could get yourself an amp, you know?

I don't know if you have to struggle through life in order to be able to make great music that relates to people, but I believe it helps either restore or cultivate new trends in a genre. Black Sabbath did it because they disliked their shitty situation and really wanted to get out of factories and start living a rock dream.

I guess you're sort've right then. Most good music that has come out in recent years and early decades has been from bands/musicians going through some great struggle. Although to be fair, Rush was pretty set-up when they released Clockwork Angels and kicked ass in 2012.... that album has some of their catchiest riffs and drum fills in a while.
----
Power metal incarnate.
30.03.2017 - 05:09
Winter Heathen

Written by Netzach on 11.02.2017 at 06:38

I voted "Other". Reggae needs to get its shit together.

Bob Marley II.
----
Power metal incarnate.
30.03.2017 - 05:11
Winter Heathen

Written by Karlabos on 07.04.2016 at 20:25

There's some interesting stuff happening in Korea, for example. Could be the next metal revolution! Seems like the Asians don't carry the baggage about, "Well, hip hop is 'black' music," and they just do it, even though some black kids in NYC might make fun of them if they could.

that's exactly why asia (especially Japan) is the best place to find diverse and awesome music

Japan has spawned Babymetal, X-Japan, and some seriously whacky pop music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g
----
Power metal incarnate.
17.04.2017 - 12:09
Metren
Dreadrealm
I'd say classical music tbh... I mean that's been around for centuries, but the greatest composers all lived hundreds of years ago and nobody's been able to match them.

Joking aside...

I actually voted country. I quite like country music, though not as much as metal or prog (obviously), but nowadays it's almost as if there is no real country music anymore, there's some Frankenstein monster of pure pandering (Bo Burnham ftw) instead, something that sounds like country, but isn't in any way honest, it's just a bunch of arrogant millionaires singing about hard work, cold beer and pick-up trucks over and over again. There are still exceptions, Alan Jackson remains honest and his songs are still pretty good too for example.

I guess what I've said about country can be said about other genres on the list as well, especially hip-hop. To once again rely on Bo Burnham: "Hip-hop used to be a voice for the voiceless, but now it has become (at least in the mainstream) a symbol of irresponsibility." The tormented genius also had this to say (sing) about hip-hop: "Fuck the rappers making a name for themselves, calling for a race war, now go out and pimp their rides, buy, accessorize and turn ten-thousand bright eyes to the companies run by the white guys."

P.S. I don't know shit about shit when it comes to hip-hop, I just really like Bo Burnham....
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
06.09.2019 - 12:25
vickystewart

Tired of mumble rap.
12.06.2021 - 21:10
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I wouldn't reform hip hop, I think it would be better if that crap never existed.
13.06.2021 - 04:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 12.06.2021 at 21:10

I wouldn't reform hip hop, I think it would be better if that crap never existed.

That would create a significant void in the musical realm leaving probably millions of people extremely disappointed -- myself included.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.06.2021 - 09:31
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.06.2021 at 04:11

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 12.06.2021 at 21:10

That would create a significant void in the musical realm leaving probably millions of people extremely disappointed -- myself included.

I suppose your right, it is still listened to and appreciated by millions around the world, I admire it's origins, and in the Beginning the genre was humble with true meaning, and pasdion, especially in the early 90's, despite me not liking it at all musically.

But IMO it's the 00's onward, starting with Eminem and 50 Cent that I really despise, it became mainstream, gangsta rap lost it's true meaning, and the younger generation have taken the wrong message, gangsta rap has been taken as a cool way of life that the younger generation look upto and want to be part of, instead of want to avoid. This has caused problems in society.

I admit there are Metal bands that send out the wrong message in their lyrics, like Cannibal Corpse for instance, but the audience that follow them don't take the lyrics literally, and it as a way of life. The same could of been said for punk rock in the 70s, Sex Pistols for instance, who had very rebellious lyrics and sent out an angry message to society, but the majority of people listened to it because they enjoyed the music and not to prove anything.

That's just IMO tho, and I just don't like hip hop, sorry if I offended you and others.